E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.33 average.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:45 AM   #3521
niiCk

My Ride: E90
I left my house, then drove pass the police station which is perpendicular to my street. About 2 mins away..the cop was getting into his car (HWP). I passed him and then he followed me. I knew something was sus, when i changed lanes, he followed. I was just about to turn right then he puts his siren on. Two guys come out, one comes up to me and tells me that our conversation is recorded blablah, asks me what kind of car it is. Hes like i know its mercedes but is it a kompressor. Im like i dont know. Hes like whos car is it. Im like uhh my dads. Please open the bonnet, opened it. He goes come here, this car is supercharged and its prohibited for provisional drivers. Then the other cop, seriously trying to be an a-hole goes and checks the rear tyres and said oh the treadwear is almost at the indicators. He told me to go back into the car, and said to call my parents since i cant drive the car anywhere, did that. He came back giving me an infringement and said you cant drive this car and said have a good day. Opened up the fine..$498, plus demerit points. SOOOOOOOO fking pissed. **** thing is, i couldve got my full license a couple weeks back but have just been too busy

ps. would i be able to drive still? my friend who had this happen to them said i could until the suspension letter gets sent to me. Also what if i were to get my full license tomorrow, rekon that they'll put the demerits onto that?
niiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #3522
Goondaddy

My Ride: 2002 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by niiCk View Post
Two guys come out, one comes up to me and tells me that our conversation is recorded blablah, asks me what kind of car it is. Hes like i know its mercedes but is it a kompressor. Im like i dont know. Hes like whos car is it. Im like uhh my dads.
My brain hurts.

All the best with the whole dealio. I would suggest getting your fulls, even just for the sake of it (if you still can). I'm assuming you don't have any points left? If that's the case, then I don't think you're eligible for a driving test.
Goondaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #3523
steve.k

My Ride: 05' 325Ci, 13' WRX
That's seriously fvcked up. 7 demerit points!?? Hopefully you can still get your fulls. You haven't lost your license have you? isn't it 9 or 10 demerit points on green p's? Also maybe try fighting it with power/weight ratio. E.g I'm sure an XR6/R32 will beat it?

Last edited by steve.k; 10-21-2012 at 04:58 PM.
steve.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:59 PM   #3524
niiCk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goondaddy View Post
My brain hurts.

All the best with the whole dealio. I would suggest getting your fulls, even just for the sake of it (if you still can). I'm assuming you don't have any points left? If that's the case, then I don't think you're eligible for a driving test.
Haha, my bad. Was just cut last night and just typed it out without thinking.

Thanks. I was thinking of getting my fulls. Im pretty sure its i have no points left but apparently they dont process the suspension for awhile? that 21 day thing. Thats why i was thinking of getting it before then and then hopefully they can just add the demerit points to the fulls.

However my friend did fight it in court and did end up winning in the end with just a 1 week suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.k View Post
That's seriously fvcked up. 7 demerit points!?? Hopefully you can still get your fulls. You haven't lost your license have you? isn't it 9 or 10 demerit points on green p's? Also maybe try fighting it with power/weight ratio. E.g I'm sure an XR6/R32 will beat it?
Yeah its fked yeah pretty sure Greens only have 7 demerit points. Which would mean i lost it?

Yeah i guess i could, but whats the legal limit? lol
Old 10-21-2012, 08:40 PM   #3525
trive2

My Ride: 1989 BMW 535i
Get your full license, the demerits will be taken off that. You haven't lost them yet. And 7 points? What the hell for? Give us the break-down.

It's an irony you got done in a Merc, when Mercedes released the most recent model C200K they kicked up a big stink over the P-plate laws, but it seems that they didn't do so well...
Old 10-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #3526
DeclanM3

My Ride: 332Ci
Not too sure what happens in NSW but in QLD the points date back to the date of issue in terms of what licence they are put on so they'd go into you P's.

I'd fight it man depending on what you said on the recording. If the recording sounds like you weren't aware it was charged coupled with the fact that you were eligible for your opens at the time anyway I dare say a judge will be pretty lenient if you have an alright history.

Explain that you and your parents aren't mechanically minded and therefore wouldn't expect an entry level luxury car would be 'too powerful' for a p-plater. Then say you did some research and provide them with a print out of 0-100 times of the car you were driving and a golf R32 along with power to weight ratios. And of course... Appologise!

DeclanM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:58 PM   #3527
YGOAMG

My Ride: 325Ci ClubSport
Send a message via MSN to YGOAMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeclanM3 View Post
Not too sure what happens in NSW but in QLD the points date back to the date of issue in terms of what licence they are put on so they'd go into you P's.

I'd fight it man depending on what you said on the recording. If the recording sounds like you weren't aware it was charged coupled with the fact that you were eligible for your opens at the time anyway I dare say a judge will be pretty lenient if you have an alright history.

Explain that you and your parents aren't mechanically minded and therefore wouldn't expect an entry level luxury car would be 'too powerful' for a p-plater. Then say you did some research and provide them with a print out of 0-100 times of the car you were driving and a golf R32 along with power to weight ratios. And of course... Appologise!
Doubt it..

Its the licence holders responsibility to know whether or not the car that they are driving is illegal or not.

How does the "full licence" work in NSW?
In vic, back in the day when i was on P's. you got your full licence after 3 years of probationary driving. I think it even came in the mail a few months before the 3 years was actually up too!

Find me on Instagram
@PeterMarquez346

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4show View Post
who da F done that?
prestige warehouse or who?
YGOAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:02 AM   #3528
Miss325

My Ride: 05 325CiC Individual
Quote:
Originally Posted by YGOAMG View Post
Doubt it..

Its the licence holders responsibility to know whether or not the car that they are driving is illegal or not.

In vic, back in the day when i was on P's. you got your full licence after 3 years of probationary driving. I think it even came in the mail a few months before the 3 years was actually up too!
I think we have 12 points available here, 13 and you're out. The 3 years is the same though, 1 year on red p's (90km/hr limit), and 2 years on green p's (100km/hr limit).

in VIC you get your license in the mail?
Old 10-22-2012, 01:44 AM   #3529
niiCk

Quote:
Originally Posted by trive2 View Post
Get your full license, the demerits will be taken off that. You haven't lost them yet. And 7 points? What the hell for? Give us the break-down.

It's an irony you got done in a Merc, when Mercedes released the most recent model C200K they kicked up a big stink over the P-plate laws, but it seems that they didn't do so well...
Haha yeah i just got my full license today
Hopefully they put it onto the fulls.

Yeah 7 points. Its listed on the RTA website.

Quote:

Yeah i am fighting it for sure. Have a letter written up already. As soon at the officer said it was being recorded i acted dumb. Thats why i pretended i didnt know it was supercharged or who took off the badges.

Yep, i plan on saying that. I did write that my own car had problems which is why i took their car just that day. Had i known it was prohibited i wouldnt have driven it. Blahblahblah

If not, going to court with it. Got someone who will represent me.

Quote:
Doubt it..

Youre being mean Peter. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss325 View Post
I think we have 12 points available here, 13 and you're out. The 3 years is the same though, 1 year on red p's (90km/hr limit), and 2 years on green p's (100km/hr limit).

in VIC you get your license in the mail?
Yep, fulls have 12. Greens have 7.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:25 AM   #3530
YGOAMG

Well it dosnt exactly come in the mail.
You get an invoice to pay $30 odd ..
Then it comes in the mail !!

That's what I remember anyway..

Was a good feeling throwing out those **** P Plates

Find me on Instagram
@PeterMarquez346

Quote:
who da F done that?

Last edited by YGOAMG; 10-22-2012 at 03:25 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:57 PM   #3531
Miss325

My Ride: 05 325CiC Individual
Quote:
Well it dosnt exactly come in the mail.
You get an invoice to pay $30 odd ..
Then it comes in the mail !!

That's what I remember anyway..

Was a good feeling throwing out those **** P Plates
I am starting to think that the NSW RMS just wants to make life difficult for us. We go to the RMS and wait with our ticket forever, then pay a whopping fee (for going up a license, L-P, or P-Gold, we sit another test and pay for it...).
Old 10-22-2012, 10:46 PM   #3532
DeclanM3

In QLD your licence says P2 (green P's) with an expiry date then O (open / full) then an expiry date. Once the clock ticks over you're on a full / open licence.

I think so long as you can explain to the judge that you were not putting anyone in danger (because you were eligible for an open licence) and weren't caught hooning etc. Along with highlighting the flaws in the system that prohibit you from driving a C200k but permit you to drive an R32 Golf (check your state though because I know this is the case in QLD) then they should lower the penalty for you. I mean heck, you were braking the law but you weren't really doing anything wrong...

Old 10-22-2012, 10:50 PM   #3533
YGOAMG

Quote:
In QLD your licence says P2 (green P's) with an expiry date then O (open / full) then an expiry date. Once the clock ticks over you're on a full / open licence.

I think so long as you can explain to the judge that you were not putting anyone in danger (because you were eligible for an open licence) and weren't caught hooning etc. Along with highlighting the flaws in the system that prohibit you from driving a C200k but permit you to drive an R32 Golf (check your state though because I know this is the case in QLD) then they should lower the penalty for you. I mean heck, you were braking the law but you weren't really doing anything wrong...
story of my life

Find me on Instagram
@PeterMarquez346

Quote:
who da F done that?
Old 10-23-2012, 04:00 AM   #3534
DeclanM3

Quote:
story of my life
Haha. I know right!! That's what I tell the cops and they let me off...

Actually no, my exact wording was "I wasn't going that fast, it just sounds loud. ...that was only up to about 5,000rpm at half throttle and it goes up to 8,000 (whilst pointing at the tacho).

True story, wasn't trying to be a smart arse either but looking back that's probably how it would've come across.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:29 AM   #3535
trive2

Proving you weren't putting anyone at risk to a judge is not going to be a good enough defence for driving a non-approved car. Otherwise the car would be approved :S
Old 10-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #3536
DeclanM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trive2 View Post
Proving you weren't putting anyone at risk to a judge is not going to be a good enough defence for driving a non-approved car. Otherwise the car would be approved :S
It was only non-approved because he hadn't had time to pick up his licence and because the law is a sh!t half arsed blanket rule with loophole central.

It should be based on power to weight ratio that determines whether the vehicle is P-plate approved or not. Surely a new C200K is slower and safer than an old VR6 golf or some of the other really old pocket rockets that didn't rely on turbos or superchargers.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:40 AM   #3537
trive2

Quote:
It was only non-approved because he hadn't had time to pick up his licence and because the law is a sh!t half arsed blanket rule with loophole central.

It should be based on power to weight ratio that determines whether the vehicle is P-plate approved or not. Surely a new C200K is slower and safer than an old VR6 golf or some of the other really old pocket rockets that didn't rely on turbos or superchargers.
It's ridiculous isn't it.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:21 AM   #3538
Jall

My Ride: 328Ci
Thinking of taking a long weekend over summer and cruising on up to Syd.
U guise organise a meet and ****?
Old 10-31-2012, 06:24 AM   #3539
DesiredM

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:

You would assume so but that's not the case here. When I got back from living in the US (where I had a 05 Mustang GT because I was 16 and thought it was cool) and saw that so many cars were on the banned list for p platers it was a joke....I mean a 350GT isn't a fast car yet banned for a p plater yet we can still drive a XR6 or VW R32??? I can't complain to much though I was 16 and got my greens straight away because I had a full license when I lived in the US. I had my full license by the age of 18
DesiredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:53 AM   #3540
GJA003

My Ride: Whatever runs
Yeah when looking for a car i couldn't justify why half the cars i wanted were on the banned list yet i could step into a 130i or R32 just doesn't make sense imo.

GJA003 is offline   Reply With Quote