E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.33 average.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:11 AM   #3541
DamoBMW

My Ride: '02 325Ci M-Sport

Old 11-05-2012, 12:30 AM   #3542
Ballistic325

My Ride: slow and steady

Plus.... another VIN decoder in case you have not seen this before. Taken from another thread on the forums:

http://www.bmwvin.com/

I can help with
* Reading Codes / Coding your car
* R&R FCAs, Tie Rods, Sway links....
* RTABs

Need an RTAB tool? Or clutch fan and water pump tools? PM me.
Ballistic325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:59 AM   #3543
DeclanM3

My Ride: 332Ci

M3 driveshafts... No fun!

I think I might get a sticker made up "Breaking drivetrain components like a boss".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6316.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	476849  

Last edited by DeclanM3; 11-05-2012 at 06:59 AM.
DeclanM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:06 AM   #3544
Ballistic325

My Ride: slow and steady
That sux. Legacy problem or something you did yourself?

I can help with
* Reading Codes / Coding your car
* R&R FCAs, Tie Rods, Sway links....
* RTABs

Need an RTAB tool? Or clutch fan and water pump tools? PM me.
Ballistic325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:13 AM   #3545
DeclanM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic325 View Post
That sux. Legacy problem or something you did yourself?
To be honest I'm not entirely sure. I did do a couple of launch controls at the drag strip but I'm pretty confident the issue was already apparent before this. I guess the launches could've aggravated the situation. So hard to tell as originally it just felt like DSC was kicking in. It wasn't until the issue got worse and I replicated it with DSC off that I realised something wasn't quite right.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #3546
rossim3

My Ride: myki
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeclanM3 View Post
To be honest I'm not entirely sure. I did do a couple of launch controls at the drag strip but I'm pretty confident the issue was already apparent before this. I guess the launches could've aggravated the situation. So hard to tell as originally it just felt like DSC was kicking in. It wasn't until the issue got worse and I replicated it with DSC off that I realised something wasn't quite right.
So is it fixed now? Have you done any launches to verify?
Old 11-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #3547
DesiredM

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Did you find at all when you accelerated hard that 2nd gear just had a flat patch like the car died and went back to normal when shifted into 3rd?
DesiredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:57 PM   #3548
DeclanM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossim3 View Post
So is it fixed now? Have you done any launches to verify?
Yeah did some hard pulls in it last night up hills etc. it's torque related so launches wouldn't easily replicate the issue as there isn't much stress on the driveshaft when you're spinning the wheels.

The issue was worst when accelerating in 2nd from low revs to 4,000 up a hill. I did plenty of these last night to test it and its smooth as silk now

It feels so good to be able to drive the thing properly!

I still can't chirp into second gear though. Although I don't change with my foot flat. I lift off slightly to put less stress on it. Maybe that's the problem. Or the 275's :-/

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiredM View Post
Did you find at all when you accelerated hard that 2nd gear just had a flat patch like the car died and went back to normal when shifted into 3rd?
Nope. Never experienced anything remotely similar to that sorry mate. The power is linear and constant.

Do you have an issue where you lose power?

Old 11-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #3549
rossim3

My Ride: myki
Quote:
Yeah did some hard pulls in it last night up hills etc. it's torque related so launches wouldn't easily replicate the issue as there isn't much stress on the driveshaft when you're spinning the wheels.

The issue was worst when accelerating in 2nd from low revs to 4,000 up a hill. I did plenty of these last night to test it and its smooth as silk now

It feels so good to be able to drive the thing properly!

I still can't chirp into second gear though. Although I don't change with my foot flat. I lift off slightly to put less stress on it. Maybe that's the problem. Or the 275's :-/

Great to hear! All sorted now just in time for summer! Burnouts, Bitches and Beaches

Last edited by rossim3; 11-05-2012 at 07:38 PM.
rossim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #3550
DesiredM

Quote:

Nope. Never experienced anything remotely similar to that sorry mate. The power is linear and constant.

Do you have an issue where you lose power?
Yeah there are a few times where I have launched from a stop and shift into second and it's like the car hits a flat spot and drops to about 2000rpm and once it hits about 3000rpm it picks back up. I'm sure it was the DSC kicking in because of the crappy tyres I have on rear (that the dealer put on so it would pass road worthy haha)
Old 11-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #3551
ating

My Ride: 2004 M3
^ Turn DSC off and try again? It's obvious when DSC kicks in...feels like the car has died.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #3552
DesiredM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ating View Post
^ Turn DSC off and try again? It's obvious when DSC kicks in...feels like the car has died.
Yeah it must be the dsc it's like the power is cut, time for new tyres
Old 11-05-2012, 08:40 PM   #3553
DeclanM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossim3 View Post
Great to hear! All sorted now just in time for summer! Burnouts, Bitches and Beaches
Is that the E46F equivalent of GTL?

Last edited by DeclanM3; 11-05-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #3554
CortinaD

My Ride: lots
Good to hear its all sorted now Declan.
CortinaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #3555
DeclanM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortinaD View Post
Good to hear its all sorted now Declan.
Cheers Dwayne. A few months and a few grand later haha.

It's so good to be able to drive the thing properly though and not have to limp away from traffic lights at the speed of a Getz (no offence )

Old 11-06-2012, 05:05 PM   #3556
CortinaD

Quote:
Cheers Dwayne. A few months and a few grand later haha.

It's so good to be able to drive the thing properly though and not have to limp away from traffic lights at the speed of a Getz (no offence )
Hahaha none taken, I gave the getz to my mum a couple years ago - I've had 2 new dailys since then.

While your M3 is running, mines at home broken Not sure the extent of the damage yet probably needs new cooling system as it was running on the red zone all day and I was focusing on that so much I broke my flippers and snapped some under tray supports etc after running wide. A quick pitstop to get a posit note to cover up the coolant gauge stopped me looking at it and I actually did some good times despite the temps.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:17 PM   #3557
DeclanM3

Quote:
Hahaha none taken, I gave the getz to my mum a couple years ago - I've had 2 new dailys since then.

While your M3 is running, mines at home broken Not sure the extent of the damage yet probably needs new cooling system as it was running on the red zone all day and I was focusing on that so much I broke my flippers and snapped some under tray supports etc after running wide. A quick pitstop to get a posit note to cover up the coolant gauge stopped me looking at it and I actually did some good times despite the temps.
Haha. So balla he keeps tracking the car when the coolant is in the red. Any idea what it got up to?

Old 11-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #3558
CortinaD

Quote:
Haha. So balla he keeps tracking the car when the coolant is in the red. Any idea what it got up to?
Oil temp was sitting at 120 so it isn't as bad as it sounds but it still needs to be addressed.

I'll plug the computer into and see if it threw any codes on the weekend.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:22 PM   #3559
DeclanM3

Quote:
Oil temp was sitting at 120 so it isn't as bad as it sounds but it still needs to be addressed.

I'll plug the computer into and see if it threw any codes on the weekend.
I generally get to around 110-115 for oil and mid 90's for coolant on track days.

What do you think the issue was? Can't have been expansion tank if the temps were that low, fans would do nothing at the track.. Low coolant or thermostat?

Old 11-06-2012, 11:39 PM   #3560
CortinaD

Quote:
I generally get to around 110-115 for oil and mid 90's for coolant on track days.

What do you think the issue was? Can't have been expansion tank if the temps were that low, fans would do nothing at the track.. Low coolant or thermostat?
I did the coolant 3 or 4 months ago so thats ok, coolant tank is ok, so only water pump/thermostat/radiator left. I'll replace the thermostat first and see how that goes.

It was 40 degrees track temp.