E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-02-2005, 09:36 PM   #1
mlozano76

My Ride: 1999 323i Sedan
Clown nose activation

I recently tried to have my clown nose activated. I do not have an alarm yet, but I read in the forum that it was possible to activate it without an alarm. I took it to my local dealership and they said they tried but was not possible. Any suggestions?
mlozano76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:22 PM   #2
s0b3

My Ride: 02 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlozano76
I recently tried to have my clown nose activated. I do not have an alarm yet, but I read in the forum that it was possible to activate it without an alarm. I took it to my local dealership and they said they tried but was not possible. Any suggestions?
RTFFAQ

Q: There is no audio or visual cues when I remotely look my doors if I don't have an alarm. Is there any way to get a visual confirmation or the "clown nose thingy" to blink?
A: Yes. Here's how:
1) Have your dealer hook up the shop computer (MODIC) to the car.
2) Go to the "Anti-Theft" activation section.
3) Activate the alarm, but uncheck the "DWA" option.

After this is done, your corner light should blink once when locked and twice when unlocked remotely. In addition, the clown nose will blink when car is locked just as if an alarm was present.

Contrary to the previous version of the FAQ, there are no permanent fault codes that are generated for the latest E46's (at least for MY2001's and later) by programming this option.
s0b3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 12:34 PM   #3
schosports

My Ride: 02 325IT,
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0b3
1) Have your dealer hook up the shop computer (MODIC) to the car.
s0b3 is correct, it can be done, no prob. I don't have the alarm but mine blinks.

BTW..........
MODIC is old-school, GT-1 is the new hotness
Old 03-04-2005, 01:40 PM   #4
OLGA

My Ride: '01 330i
I just had the dealer program it for me for $115. They told me you can only get the clown nose to blink and the corner lights to flash on lock / unlock. Took the Service guy 5 minutes to do and I added the door locking feature after the car travels past 5mph. I'm ordering my alarm next week and will have to go back to the dealer to get the beeping part to work - hopefully for free.
OLGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 02:16 PM   #5
ericteyteri

My Ride: 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLGA
I just had the dealer program it for me for $115. They told me you can only get the clown nose to blink and the corner lights to flash on lock / unlock. Took the Service guy 5 minutes to do and I added the door locking feature after the car travels past 5mph. I'm ordering my alarm next week and will have to go back to the dealer to get the beeping part to work - hopefully for free.

My dealer program it without asking for any fee. The technique is dont tell them that you want to activate the clown nose, coz they will say its impossible or they will do it for a certain fee. Just tell them that you want the visual confirmation to be activated on your car (the park lights will blink when locking/unlocking the doors)
ericteyteri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 02:28 PM   #6
Surk

My Ride: C Blk E46///M3
I dont have an oem alarm either..and stealership did the clown nose activation for $25..It can be done easily..otherwise find another dealer..
Old 03-07-2005, 09:22 PM   #7
zracat

My Ride: 06 330Cic, 05 325Cic
Had mine done today for free

I just bought a 99 328i SP PP for my daughter on Saturday. Took it to dealer today had clown nose activated( Which I read on here Sunday night) and had to have a window regulator put in. Charged me $350 for window regulator and nothing for the clown nose activation. They wanted $450 to fix the sun roof cover. NOT. Anyone know how to fix that?
zracat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 01:48 AM   #8
Masko

My Ride: silver coupe
Send a message via AIM to Masko
Quote:
Originally Posted by zracat
I just bought a 99 328i SP PP for my daughter on Saturday. Took it to dealer today had clown nose activated( Which I read on here Sunday night) and had to have a window regulator put in. Charged me $350 for window regulator and nothing for the clown nose activation. They wanted $450 to fix the sun roof cover. NOT. Anyone know how to fix that?
What exactly is wrong with it?
Old 03-08-2005, 02:44 AM   #9
GQKaMbiZ

My Ride: '12 640i'vert
Send a message via AIM to GQKaMbiZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericteyteri
My dealer program it without asking for any fee. The technique is dont tell them that you want to activate the clown nose, coz they will say its impossible or they will do it for a certain fee. Just tell them that you want the visual confirmation to be activated on your car (the park lights will blink when locking/unlocking the doors)

Which stealership did you go to that hookd this feature up for you?? thanks
Old 03-08-2005, 04:59 PM   #10
zracat

My Ride: 06 330Cic, 05 325Cic
Sunvisor

The dealership said the sunvisor needs to be replaced. I went to a different dealship today to get the 2 different sliders for it, 2 on right side and 2 on left side. I installed them and lubbed up the track that they are in, got it to work. But it still does not slide that good. I think that I am going to just buy the new sunvisor and install it myself, it is not that big of a deal to do. Has anyone installed a new sunvisor, that can give me some pointers on doing it? Thanks Zracat.
zracat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 12:25 AM   #11
ericteyteri

My Ride: 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQKaMbiZ
Which stealership did you go to that hookd this feature up for you?? thanks

concord, ca
ericteyteri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 01:43 PM   #12
tbair

My Ride: '00 328i
How much labor is involved here? The dealer here quoted an hour's worth of labor on my 00 328i at $92.00/hour.

Seems a little much when they'll be doing a $120.00 oil change at the same time...

TB
tbair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 03:27 AM   #13
p316722

My Ride: e46 316i
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLGA
Just want to share my car remote key ( alarm not sure )...

I can lock the doors by pressing the Key ( BMW logo on the key ) and
the signal lights blinks once. But when I unlock the doors there is no signal lights blinking, I only hear the door lock unlocks. Both activity bears no sounds. Do I have an alarm? have not tested it ?

I also have the auto door locking once running at approx 5 mph...

Do I have an alarm activated ?
p316722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 12:01 PM   #14
Lone

My Ride: 2000 328i
my car only locks and unlocks and you cant tell at all that it did. how much could it cost to get the signal lights and clown nose to activate? and do i have to go to the dealership only?
Lone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:28 AM   #15
blazedxjan

My Ride: 01 325ci
Only a dealership can activate the parking lights to flash when locking with key? I have an 01 325ci which doesn't do this.

89' 240sx Coupe - Sold ): 98' 328is - RIP 91' Turbo MR2 - Sold 01' 325ci - Current
I like my Christmas hat; wanna fight about it?
blazedxjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #16
haurelio

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
you are bringing back a 2005 thread

and the dealer is not the only that can program our cars. there are many bmw based software that does that and more. I could program your car if you would like that option plus some other extras.

Last edited by haurelio; 07-26-2012 at 06:58 PM.
haurelio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:43 AM   #17
blazedxjan

Lol sorry it's a noob question. I've searched thru some threads and just wanted to confirm. How much would you charge and what other options could you add?

89' 240sx Coupe - Sold ): 98' 328is - RIP 91' Turbo MR2 - Sold 01' 325ci - Current
Old 07-27-2012, 07:11 AM   #18
Armany DBR

My Ride: 328i sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by haurelio View Post
you are bringing back a 2005 thread

and the dealer is not the only that can program our cars. there are many bmw based software that does that and more. I could program your car if you would like that option plus some other extras.
Where??? Cuz I need all that
Armany DBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:30 AM   #19
morningisbad

My Ride: E46 M3 Vert
You can also pick up a BMW scanner 1.4 and do it yourself, as well as many other things...

From the desk of Dwight Schrute
Old 07-27-2012, 05:02 PM   #20
blazedxjan

Hm looks complex o.o