E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-05-2005, 08:34 PM   #1
JmAbshire

My Ride: 01 330i Jet Black
Rough Idle/hesitation? This could fix it for about $12

After talking with some friends about carbon deposits and dirty injectors I came across a well known product called Seafoam, http://www.seafoamsales.com/ stuffs been around for years and is by many accounts the best automotive cleaner around.

So I gave it a shot, the results were phenomenal! I was experiencing a really rough idle/vibration and a little hesitation. I checked everything from plugs, coils, vanos, and even the engine mounts; all in good shape. Iím not saying this will work for everyone, but a lot of people that have used this method and product have experienced excellent results. It turned out that I had some dirty fuel injectors and probably a lot of carbon deposits throughout the engine (have 35K currently on the odometer) that was causing the above symptoms. Anyhow hereís what I did:

1. First go buy yourself a can Seafoam motor treatment, and one can of Seafoam Deep Creep (aerosol can), about $5 each. Also youíll need a new hose clamp for the booster vacuum hose. Itís about a one half to three fourths diameter, eye ball it.

2. Making sure your engine is at operating temperature (donít do this on a cold engine) locate the brake booster vacuum line (check the picture). Youíll have to pry off the ďone-shot-dealĒ clamp from the hose. (Youíll be replacing it when youíre done with the new one you purchased).

3. Now the hard part, you have to remove the booster hose. Itís a pain because there is more than likely still a vacuum on it, what I did was carefully took a small flat head screwdriver and pried up underneath it and released the vacuum, then proceeded to wiggle it loose. This fitting has barbs on it so you canít just yank at it or itíll just get tighter, take your time itíll come off. Also take off the weather stripping so that you can work with the hose.

4. Now once itís off, get a funnel and wedge it in the hose. Have a buddy turn your car on, you will now notice a huge air draw (sucking noise) on the line, this is what you want. Then slowly begin to pour a little in at a time until you have used about one third to half a can of Seafoam. Caution: donít just pour the whole can down at once, thereís this thing called hydro-locking which trust me you donít want to think about. So just a little at a time, and youíll be fine. Your buddy will have to keep the RPMs up (around 1.5K) so the car wonít die right off the bat. Remember half a can. After youíve done this shut her down and wait about 5-10 minutes.

5. Youíre done with this part, plug the vacuum hose back on and tighten it down with new clamp you bought. Tip put the clamp on hose before you put the hose back on the fitting, I know obviousÖ.

6. Turn on your car, and let it idle for a few seconds, then let it rip, open it up to about 4.5k -5k RPM, now your really going to see what kind of crap is in your motor, smokes like a mother. This is all of the carbon and crap in your engine intake manifold, valves, lifters etc... Itíll stop after 15 minutes or so. Obviously do this in a well ventilated area!!!!

7. Now with the Deep Creep, pull out the hose assembly (marked DC on my figure) and while the engine is running again, spray the deep creep down in the hole, this is going to get your throttle body and idle position sensor cleaned up, use about a half a can. I recommend doing some, then go and drive around the block, then doing the other half.

8. Finally with the other half of your Seafoam (not the deep creep, the liquid) pour it into your gas tank, this will get your fuel injectors cleaned up nicely. Do this on a half a tank of gas, for a higher concentration.

9. Youíre done, and youíve done a cheep but highly effective tune up on a multitude of areas. Now just go and drive her a little harder than usual to get her nice and clean. Youíre probably going to notice a huge difference.

Hopefully this helps some people out, it worked great for me!!!! Jason

Disclaimer: As usual your car your choice, donít blame me!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seafoam.jpg
Views:	35267
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	114649  
JmAbshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:54 PM   #2
Asmodeus

My Ride: 328i
Excellent Write up.

Guess I know what I'll be doing this week.
328i - TiAg / Black with PP - HK - 35% Tint - TiAG Headlight Trim - RSM - Gauge Rings - Clears - GruppeM - Silvervision - Koni Adjustables - UUC T.M.E., Clutch Stop, DSSR, Pulleys, Swaybars, LTW - EPS Pump - SS Brake & Clutch Line - MTech II Front - Angel Eyes - M3 Lip Spoiler - Z211, K104 - M6 Wheels -

TLC/BMW Instructor
Asmodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 11:16 PM   #3
tedwright

My Ride: Korean-Spec Lanos GT
Send a message via AIM to tedwright
This isn't bad for the engine??
tedwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 01:55 AM   #4
L-I-B

My Ride: makes my day
did you buy yours online?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
There are some true ballers on this forum. Ten dollars is nothing to them. They use ten dollars to wipe the mud from their 900 dollar Ferragamo dog-walking shoes.
L-I-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 08:52 AM   #5
JmAbshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-I-B
did you buy yours online?
AutoZone has it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedwrite
This isn't bad for the engine??
Everyone I have talked too has said itís safe as long as you donít hydro lock your engine by putting to much fluid in at one time. I also talked to a mechanic at a dealership which is the one who recommended the actual product. So you'll have to be the judge... As for me I'm sold, this stuff really worked well for me.

Look around on the web, there is a ton of info in forums and websites that will tell you the sameÖ.

Jason
Old 03-06-2005, 08:50 PM   #6
L-I-B

My Ride: makes my day
I just barely tried this...when I poured a TINY amount in the funnel, it would rev like crazy. Is this normal? and when I poured about half the can in, let it sit 5-10 min, and started it up, it didn't smoke? did I do somthin wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
There are some true ballers on this forum. Ten dollars is nothing to them. They use ten dollars to wipe the mud from their 900 dollar Ferragamo dog-walking shoes.
L-I-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 11:41 AM   #7
Asmodeus

My Ride: 328i
you could simply have a much cleaner engine.

Nothing wrong with that
328i - TiAg / Black with PP - HK - 35% Tint - TiAG Headlight Trim - RSM - Gauge Rings - Clears - GruppeM - Silvervision - Koni Adjustables - UUC T.M.E., Clutch Stop, DSSR, Pulleys, Swaybars, LTW - EPS Pump - SS Brake & Clutch Line - MTech II Front - Angel Eyes - M3 Lip Spoiler - Z211, K104 - M6 Wheels -

TLC/BMW Instructor
Asmodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 03:57 PM   #8
JmAbshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-I-B
I just barely tried this...when I poured a TINY amount in the funnel, it would rev like crazy. Is this normal? and when I poured about half the can in, let it sit 5-10 min, and started it up, it didn't smoke? did I do somthin wrong?
Lot of factors here, quite possibly like Asmodeus said you might have a really clean engine. However I would ask if you revved up to 5K-6K or so a few times, donít be afraid its a BMW, mine didnít smoke that much either when I revved around 2-4K, then because people where around and wanted to be cool (LOL) I hammered it to around 5.5K, then I got a smoke show, really.... they ran.. Joking. Now that itís been a day, it might have evaporated within, go out and open it up you should get some smoke, if not donít worry your probably pretty cleanÖ.. try it again if your unsure, its safe. Let me know what happens.

Jason
Old 03-12-2005, 03:42 PM   #9
CGRIZZ516

My Ride: 2000 323ci
did any warning or check engine lights go on when you took out the booster vacuum line and then started the car? I'll probably do this when I go home for break.
I'm gonna run some through the gas tank first this weekend

ECIS Intake / Shark Injector / Stock Type 44's
CGRIZZ516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 12:22 PM   #10
JmAbshire

No lights came on for me, or on the other cars that i have used this method on.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:59 PM   #11
intldev

My Ride: 328 Ci 2000
I have a 2000 328Ci, went and bought both the liquid and spray Seafoam. Went well with the liquid, however I came to realize I should have disconnected the bottom hose and the not the top. However, with the Deep Creap I was not able to disconnect the hose assembly. I was wondering you have any pointers. My setup seems to have one long hose that connects to the same unit as the orignal vacuum assembly that then connects to the larger tube that receives the air from the airfilter. When I tried to remove the hose, it was a no go.

Thanks
J.

"Can happiness be achieved without sacrifice?"
intldev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 06:05 AM   #12
JmAbshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by intldev
I have a 2000 328Ci, went and bought both the liquid and spray Seafoam. Went well with the liquid, however I came to realize I should have disconnected the bottom hose and the not the top. However, with the Deep Creap I was not able to disconnect the hose assembly. I was wondering you have any pointers. My setup seems to have one long hose that connects to the same unit as the orignal vacuum assembly that then connects to the larger tube that receives the air from the airfilter. When I tried to remove the hose, it was a no go.

Thanks
J.
I'm guessing that the 2000 328 has a little different set up on the master cylinder/booster than the later models? You know when you pull the right one off due to the huge vacuum and sucking sound you hear, and you should be able to follow the hose to the intake manifold area, good indicator. As far as the intake from what you said it sounds like the easy way to do it would be to remove the clamp after the MAF sensor (which is after the air filter) on your intake and just spray in the big hose as opposed to tring to pull off a little side or vacuum hose. I had to do this on my wifes Jetta because the size and location of the hose. Just have someone rev it up when you spray the deep creep in, if you dont it'll probably just pool in the bottom of the intake and evaporate, waste... Hope this helps...... Jason
Old 03-16-2005, 07:51 PM   #13
Pigeon

My Ride: 02 ///M3 & 06 750Li
I haven't done this to my 328i yet, but I've used similar cleaners on other cars. Mazda sells "top end cleaner" that I used on my Miata with good effect. One thing - be sure to do this right before an oil change, as you're bound to get some of this stuff, which is a very strong solvent, into your oil both by simple blowby and especially during the soak phase of the cleaning. You don't want this stuff circulating through your oil for a significant amount of time as it'll do bad things to the oil.

Scott
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 08:11 PM   #14
InSuboRdiNaTioN
Mmm, Pancakes.

My Ride: Collects dust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon
I haven't done this to my 328i yet, but I've used similar cleaners on other cars. Mazda sells "top end cleaner" that I used on my Miata with good effect. One thing - be sure to do this right before an oil change, as you're bound to get some of this stuff, which is a very strong solvent, into your oil both by simple blowby and especially during the soak phase of the cleaning. You don't want this stuff circulating through your oil for a significant amount of time as it'll do bad things to the oil.

Scott
Plus your oil is going to collect a lot of the deposits that are removed!

So this is a safe thing for sure? Seems like Seafoam is a harsh solvent, and it wouldn't be good for your hoses and any of the seals in your engine?
I'm very tempted to give this a shot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvega9701
one moment, you're rolling. the next, you're blowing a guy for a sandwich
InSuboRdiNaTioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 09:59 PM   #15
CGRIZZ516

My Ride: 2000 323ci
i'm pretty sure Seafoam is safe. my girlfriend's father is a mechanic and he highly recommended it. He uses it on his track car too. couple of my friends have used it w/o problems.
back to what insubordination had said - i didnt run the seafoam through my vacuum line yet, i just used it in the gas tank to get my fuel injectors cleaned nice. but i dunno, i dont see it being detrimental to the engine itself ?

ECIS Intake / Shark Injector / Stock Type 44's
CGRIZZ516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 03:21 AM   #16
minig0d

My Ride: OrientBlu 2001 325xi
Send a message via AIM to minig0d
seafoam isn't a solevant its a petrolium product like the other post said... dont hydrolock the engine... put seafoam in as directed above... you might want to have your spark plugs changed in about 1000 miles after you use seafoam and have your oil changed within 3000... (just trust me on those)...
Old 03-24-2005, 09:15 AM   #17
InSuboRdiNaTioN
Mmm, Pancakes.

My Ride: Collects dust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by minig0d
seafoam isn't a solevant its a petrolium product like the other post said... dont hydrolock the engine... put seafoam in as directed above... you might want to have your spark plugs changed in about 1000 miles after you use seafoam and have your oil changed within 3000... (just trust me on those)...
I certainly understand the oil. But why the plugs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvega9701
one moment, you're rolling. the next, you're blowing a guy for a sandwich
InSuboRdiNaTioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 09:54 AM   #18
JmAbshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by minig0d
.....you might want to have your spark plugs changed in about 1000 miles after you use seafoam and have your oil changed within 3000... (just trust me on those)...

I agree with the oil as well, I would think that if you are concerned about spark plugs, you could just take them out and carefully clean them, i.e. remove deposits and such. Those guys can get pretty expensive.
Jason
Old 03-24-2005, 11:01 AM   #19
XJONBX

My Ride: 2001 330ci - SOLD
Send a message via AIM to XJONBX
Thanks for the write up...This is the exact problem I was having with my car and didn't really know what to do...I'm gonna try some just in my gas first and then go from there...
Does anyone know how much new spark plugs go for and any recommendations on some? I know it sounds like a dumb question, but I don't wanna go to the dealer for them!
Old 03-24-2005, 12:45 PM   #20
JmAbshire

XJONBX

I recently got some NGK Iridiumís IX (BKR6EIX-11) from http://www.clubplug.net/ for about $6, pretty good deal on a high quality plug.

One caution, make sure to regap them to .032 inch, they come stock at .044 inch, I had a friend who didnít and noticed a lot of hesitation and erratic engine behavior. For that matter one should always check the gaps when installing new plugs. I called an engineer at NGK, after discussing a few other things, we noticed that a lot of sites who sell these plugs have miss advertised the plug gaps. Other than that they are awesome plugs for the money.

Tip: donít buy one of those dial gap tools, you need to get a precision wire gap tool that only pulls back on the ground electrode without touching the center electrode. To close the gap on a plug, gently tap the plug, electrode first on a hard surface. I found a good one at NAPA.

Jason