E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2005, 06:58 PM   #1
nuc1

My Ride: money hole
ICElink...install issues

I've lurked here for a while but this would be my first post Just got my ICElink plus....and it has some issues.
1. IPOD displays Dension config menu, says to turn ignition off then back on and select CD changer ---- did that and radio will not cycle to CD changer
2. Followed TS guide....removed fuses for radio, tried again
3. Same problem, reset IPOD, repeated....same problem

WTF??? Anyone got any ideas on this???

Other info:
IPOD charges fine, plays track (display is the Dension version of the track title, track, etc.)
Icelink version 2.05 trunk mount
4G IPOD 40GB version 3.0.2
2002 M3 w/ NAV

HELP!!!
nuc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:58 PM   #2
nuc1

anyone?? bueller?
Old 03-11-2005, 10:21 PM   #3
DensionUSA
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: BMW 540i
What type of kit are you using? Radio or trunk interface? Is there a checkmark on the iPod that says "OK to disconnect"?

If so, all you need to do is reset the iPod and you're in business.
DensionUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 02:23 PM   #4
areif

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
I'm having the same problem myself. Things worked perfectly for the first couple of weeks after I installed the kit, but then I'd only get about 5 minutes of use at a time (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=235036). I opened my dash again yesterday (with all my monkeying around, I managed to unplug the iPod cable from the iceLink). Reconnected everything (even disconnected the battery first) and now I can't seem to get the radio to recognize the iceLink at all. The iPod still sees the iceLink (I even got the "you're running on BMW, now shut off and turn on the ignition again" message on the iPod's screen), but the radio doesn't seem to see it.

Anybody got any tips to force the radio into seeing the iceLink? I've disconnected the battery, pulled the fuses, waved a dead chicken over the dash, but nothing...
areif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 02:36 PM   #5
DensionUSA
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by areif
I'm having the same problem myself. Things worked perfectly for the first couple of weeks after I installed the kit, but then I'd only get about 5 minutes of use at a time (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=235036). I opened my dash again yesterday (with all my monkeying around, I managed to unplug the iPod cable from the iceLink). Reconnected everything (even disconnected the battery first) and now I can't seem to get the radio to recognize the iceLink at all. The iPod still sees the iceLink (I even got the "you're running on BMW, now shut off and turn on the ignition again" message on the iPod's screen), but the radio doesn't seem to see it.

Anybody got any tips to force the radio into seeing the iceLink? I've disconnected the battery, pulled the fuses, waved a dead chicken over the dash, but nothing...
Do you have a CD Changer still connected to the vehicle? If so, the 3-pin adapter must be removed.

If you are still experiencing problems, give our technial support team a call @ 562.595.5153 x112
Old 03-13-2005, 02:46 PM   #6
areif

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by DensionUSA
Do you have a CD Changer still connected to the vehicle? If so, the 3-pin adapter must be removed.

If you are still experiencing problems, give our technial support team a call @ 562.595.5153 x112
Nope, never had a CD changer in the car.

I'll try calling your support again, but haven't had luck with them so far: my emails have been ignored, and the odd time I get someone on the phone it's "a known issue that the next firmware rev should fix", notwithstanding that it worked fine for over 2 weeks. At this point I can't load the 2.06 firmware anyways, since my head unit doesn't recognize the iceLink...
areif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 07:07 PM   #7
DensionUSA
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by areif
Nope, never had a CD changer in the car.

I'll try calling your support again, but haven't had luck with them so far: my emails have been ignored, and the odd time I get someone on the phone it's "a known issue that the next firmware rev should fix", notwithstanding that it worked fine for over 2 weeks. At this point I can't load the 2.06 firmware anyways, since my head unit doesn't recognize the iceLink...
I'm not sure of who at our tech support would make such a statement, but feel free to contact me directly @ x115 and we'll go over the troubleshooting steps together.

I will be out of the office tomorrow, but back at my desk on Thursday.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:57 PM   #8
nuc1

Problem fixed....how I don't know. Forgot to configure the ICElink as required @ installs.denison.com. Still have a slight issue: at radom intervals the radio will switch to radio, the IPOD will keep playing (no sound though) and the on screen text will alternate between the song on the IPOd and the song on the radio. Unplugging and reconnecting the IPOD will fix the prob.... First time it happened it freaked me out; had Tool playing on the IPOD but Bob Marley was on the radio (Tool doesn't do "no woman, no cry" LOL)

BTW, after playing around w/ the text for awhile I turned it off....too much flipping between the nav screen and song info ---> distracting. (I realize its only a beta version but I hope the issue is resolved).

Last note: hats off to Dension for some the BEST customer service I have ever experienced......if only BMWNA would act the same (and I an not holding my breath).

Mike
Old 03-16-2005, 12:58 PM   #9
DensionUSA
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuc1
Problem fixed....how I don't know. Forgot to configure the ICElink as required @ installs.denison.com. Still have a slight issue: at radom intervals the radio will switch to radio, the IPOD will keep playing (no sound though) and the on screen text will alternate between the song on the IPOd and the song on the radio. Unplugging and reconnecting the IPOD will fix the prob.... First time it happened it freaked me out; had Tool playing on the IPOD but Bob Marley was on the radio (Tool doesn't do "no woman, no cry" LOL)

BTW, after playing around w/ the text for awhile I turned it off....too much flipping between the nav screen and song info ---> distracting. (I realize its only a beta version but I hope the issue is resolved).

Last note: hats off to Dension for some the BEST customer service I have ever experienced......if only BMWNA would act the same (and I an not holding my breath).

Mike
Thanks for the kind words!

The iPod writing the ID3v2 text to the iBus issue will be resolved when the software goes final.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:14 AM   #10
KarenK

My Ride: 330i XHP/E36 M3
No sound from icelink

Tom,

We just installed the ice>Link Plus over this weekend and have no sound coming from it.

Symptoms:
1) No sound from iPod
2) Navigation works via steering wheel or radio
3) Cannot configure head unit. When CarIf_BMW.mp3 is played and the unit connected, the display automatically goes to the "Warning Don't Browse..." splash screen. Configuration never occurs.

We were able to run the Update ice>link to version 2.06 successfully (at least it ran for a few minutes, then the radio automatically came on (perhaps it finished?).

We have the black wire grounded to chassis.

Some users have suggested rotating the 10-pin connector 180 degrees. However, I would think that the ice>link would not work at all if this was oriented wrong.

Please help,
KarenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 01:58 PM   #11
DensionUSA
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenK
Tom,

We just installed the ice>Link Plus over this weekend and have no sound coming from it.

Symptoms:
1) No sound from iPod
2) Navigation works via steering wheel or radio
3) Cannot configure head unit. When CarIf_BMW.mp3 is played and the unit connected, the display automatically goes to the "Warning Don't Browse..." splash screen. Configuration never occurs.

We were able to run the Update ice>link to version 2.06 successfully (at least it ran for a few minutes, then the radio automatically came on (perhaps it finished?).

We have the black wire grounded to chassis.

Some users have suggested rotating the 10-pin connector 180 degrees. However, I would think that the ice>link would not work at all if this was oriented wrong.

Please help,
Let's begin with the wiring configuration - it should look like this when completed:

Old 03-21-2005, 02:46 PM   #12
voon

My Ride: E46 330ci Coupe
Quote:
Odd, that over here in Europe, Dension is called one of the worst with regards to customer support in some fora. Personally, every mail I sent was flat out ignored, not a single answer. On the other end, Dension USA did answer my mails, so the Kudos are understandable. Also, to have someone in the forum, is nice. I hope we Europeans can ask the questions here, the electronic bits should be the same (with exceptions like US only sat radios and such).
voon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 03:27 PM   #13
DensionUSA
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by voon
Odd, that over here in Europe, Dension is called one of the worst with regards to customer support in some fora. Personally, every mail I sent was flat out ignored, not a single answer. On the other end, Dension USA did answer my mails, so the Kudos are understandable. Also, to have someone in the forum, is nice. I hope we Europeans can ask the questions here, the electronic bits should be the same (with exceptions like US only sat radios and such).
Technical help I can certainly help with, but keep in mind that other Dension facilities may offer slightly different setups than the US office.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:50 PM   #14
KarenK

My Ride: 330i XHP/E36 M3
It was the wiring...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DensionUSA
Let's begin with the wiring configuration - it should look like this when completed:

Tom,

Today, I figured this out myself after an extensive search on e46fanatics and dug up these instructions http://densionusa.com/forum/Installs...70305_inst.pdf

The 10-pin wiring harness is labeled with the pin numbers. I had (mistakenly, but logically) matched the numbers on the harness itself with those written on the back of the radio. Turns out that the recommended orientation in your picture above is flipped 180 degrees from the orientation printed on the back of the radio. Perhaps Dension production might consider matching the harness numbering to the radio numbering for consistency and avoiding future confusion for DIY installers. This picture would definitely have been useful when we started.

I would also recommend that you have these instructions placed into outgoing orders for BMW adapters as the instructions included show none of this useful information. I also did not see an obvious link from the Dension website to these instructions. I only found them here http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=237661

Anyway, it's finally working now and has the ID3 text going too, so we're all set now.
KarenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 04:24 PM   #15
DensionUSA
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenK
Tom,

Today, I figured this out myself after an extensive search on e46fanatics and dug up these instructions http://densionusa.com/forum/Installs...70305_inst.pdf

The 10-pin wiring harness is labeled with the pin numbers. I had (mistakenly, but logically) matched the numbers on the harness itself with those written on the back of the radio. Turns out that the recommended orientation in your picture above is flipped 180 degrees from the orientation printed on the back of the radio. Perhaps Dension production might consider matching the harness numbering to the radio numbering for consistency and avoiding future confusion for DIY installers. This picture would definitely have been useful when we started.

I would also recommend that you have these instructions placed into outgoing orders for BMW adapters as the instructions included show none of this useful information. I also did not see an obvious link from the Dension website to these instructions. I only found them here http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=237661

Anyway, it's finally working now and has the ID3 text going too, so we're all set now.
The instructions were something I whipped up specifically for the forum, I feel they explain the product a little better than what is included:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=237661