E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2005, 03:10 PM   #1
airm45

My Ride: BMW330ci Convertible
I lost my car keys, How do i replace them?

I lost my car keys in the parking lot outside my house. I have to use my other keys for now. I put my car in the garage for now, but i'm afraid that someone that has my keys can steal my car. How would i get my locks/key's changed and how much would that cost. I have 2 extra keys, would they charge me if i traded those two in?
airm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-13-2005, 03:55 PM   #2
guest1008
Banned User

My Ride: 08 Lexus ES350
That first set of keys is gonna cost $125-150 or so to replace. If you wanna change the whole ignition, that's gonna be damn expensive. I doubt they'll give you any credit for trading in keys if you wanna change the whole ignition system. And you're gonna have to go to the dealer.
guest1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 03:58 PM   #3
DarXide

My Ride: Slammed on F2's
Send a message via AIM to DarXide Send a message via MSN to DarXide
That sucks Bro!
Get an aftermarket alarm and if somebody got your keys and tries to steal your car its gonna go off like a mofo! Get a cliford G5 and something that would turn the engine off!
Good Luck!
Old 03-13-2005, 04:11 PM   #4
D_Ultim8
Go Lakers!!!

My Ride: JB ZHP'd 3 >>> SOLD!
I don't think you have to change the ignition. The dealer should be able to reprogram your key and the computer on your car to a new setting! Call and ask the dealer, I believe someone on this board had done this before, I don't remember who it was...it was like a year ago or something.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:03 PM   #5
airm45

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Ultim8
I don't think you have to change the ignition. The dealer should be able to reprogram your key and the computer on your car to a new setting! Call and ask the dealer, I believe someone on this board had done this before, I don't remember who it was...it was like a year ago or something.
But what about the actual key, can't that just put it in the key hole to open the car?
Old 03-13-2005, 05:15 PM   #6
KillFox

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Send a message via AIM to KillFox
Get a lock cover ! Helps prevent theft from your own key + from poping the lock. Not to mention it looks slick.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:05 PM   #7
airm45

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillFox
Get a lock cover ! Helps prevent theft from your own key + from poping the lock. Not to mention it looks slick.
What about my trunk?
Old 03-13-2005, 08:27 PM   #8
strawberries

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i
I'm in the same situation as you. I had my keys stolen from a local community centre.
strawberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 08:38 PM   #9
tedwright

My Ride: Korean-Spec Lanos GT
Send a message via AIM to tedwright
I believe you can take the car in to have them reprogram it to ONLY work with the keys that you have now, meaning that the other key that was lost/stolen will not start the vehicle. Yes, they could still use the key to open the door and trunk, but would not be able to start it.
tedwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 10:07 PM   #10
airm45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedwright
I believe you can take the car in to have them reprogram it to ONLY work with the keys that you have now, meaning that the other key that was lost/stolen will not start the vehicle. Yes, they could still use the key to open the door and trunk, but would not be able to start it.
i dunno if thats true. Cuz my other two keys aren't programmed to unlock my door/trunk by pressing the buttons. But they do open the door and trunk when i put it in. And they do start the ignition. They're basically bulky valet keys.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:12 PM   #11
tedwright

My Ride: Korean-Spec Lanos GT
Send a message via AIM to tedwright
Quote:
Originally Posted by airm45
i dunno if thats true. Cuz my other two keys aren't programmed to unlock my door/trunk by pressing the buttons. But they do open the door and trunk when i put it in. And they do start the ignition. They're basically bulky valet keys.
I don't understand. The keys that you have now, they look just like the key that you lost? Like they are the master keys? They have the remote in the head, yet they don't work to unlock the doors?
tedwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 11:03 PM   #12
airm45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedwright
I don't understand. The keys that you have now, they look just like the key that you lost? Like they are the master keys? They have the remote in the head, yet they don't work to unlock the doors?
Yea, before all 3 worked, but my security alarm got reset and they only reprogrammed 1 key to unlock the doors remotely. The other two don't unlock/lock remotely but they can still unlock the door and start the engine.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:07 PM   #13
CtrlAltDel
www.piratecove.org

My Ride: 2007 335i Coupe
Send a message via ICQ to CtrlAltDel Send a message via AIM to CtrlAltDel
try someone elses keys, i bet they fit in your car too...but dont work

go to the dealer, they'll get you a new key, and reprogram everything for you
Old 08-28-2006, 04:29 PM   #14
evals

My Ride: 99 323i
for sure. that reprogramming of keys really works. its called the ews system in bimmers 95 or newer..

im cho cho happy
evals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:20 AM   #15
Topazine

My Ride: '02 330i
i may have lost my valet key but don't really care, i just don't want someone finding it... ~ how much would it cost to get the other keys changed but not get a new valet key?

Formerly: TheBeerAssassin
Topazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:16 AM   #16
Topazine

My Ride: '02 330i
nevermind! found it! sitting on the ground next to my work chair! can't believe clean-up crew didn't even touch it!

Formerly: TheBeerAssassin
Topazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:24 PM   #17
scarface007

My Ride: 04 E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by airm45 View Post
he is absolutely right , all bmws come with 10 keys from factory . owners gets 4 keys total . you get 2 remotes , a vallet , and special bone key .
go to a bmw service center take a copy of your registration and drivers license . pay for the keys and bmw will send the dealership a new key . once you have the new keys take the car to the dealership were they will go inside the DMW and DWA and disable the keys you lost , the keys you lost will not work to turn the car on but will open the vehicle trunk and drivers door . hope this helps

- President Ronald Regan

http://www.ftperformancebmw.com/
scarface007 is offline   Reply With Quote