E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-28-2008, 09:15 AM   #41
warmasice

My Ride: E46 Coupe
tried changing my fuel filter today. no joy, i just couldnt get the rubber hoses off the filter. tried prying it with a screwdriver, thin nose pliers, nothing helped! they were wedged on solid. maybe i just didnt have enough space to get enough leverage as the car was on jacks. not a happy bunny, was hoping i'd get it sorted today

E46 M-Sport Coupe, Titan Silver, Straight 6, Full Leather, Bluetooth Prep, Lowered on Eibach Pro-Kit Springs,
Febi-Bilstein Front Bushes, Lemforder Control Arms

warmasice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:15 PM   #42
warmasice

...just wondering if anyone got any tips?... is it best to have the car up on ramps (something i havent got)?.. or is it a matter of just twisting the life out of it?.. i was worried about being under the car with just jacks as last thing i want it is falling on my head!!

E46 M-Sport Coupe, Titan Silver, Straight 6, Full Leather, Bluetooth Prep, Lowered on Eibach Pro-Kit Springs,

Old 12-29-2008, 07:46 AM   #43
thfrazer

My Ride: 2000 323i
Hi,

Do not get under the car unless it is up on jack stands. They can be had for $15 so not using them is foolish in my opinion. Once it's up on the stands try to push the car off before crawling under. That should give you a more secure feeling.

I don't mean to be insulting with this question, but did you get the clamps off before trying to pull the hoses off? Mine came off quite easily and I can't imagine they could get "frozen" on. If all else fails you can cut the hose off right past the nipple. Make sure you have enough "play" left to reconnect though.

Good luck!!

Tom
thfrazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:56 AM   #44
Score

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by warmasice View Post
...just wondering if anyone got any tips?... is it best to have the car up on ramps (something i havent got)?.. or is it a matter of just twisting the life out of it?.. i was worried about being under the car with just jacks as last thing i want it is falling on my head!!
Get a trim tool - it has a screw driver handle and a forked metal end. Looks like a mini pry bar. If you use this, you can pry both sides of the hose at the same time and it will come off. Much more effective than just using a screw driver to pry one side at a time.
Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:53 AM   #45
xi_ter

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
tried changing my fuel filter today. no joy, i just couldnt get the rubber hoses off the filter. tried prying it with a screwdriver, thin nose pliers, nothing helped! they were wedged on solid.
A possible solution is to use an exacto knife to cut 1/4 inch from the hose. This will make it easier to pull the hose off. Try all your removal techniques. There is enough slack in the lines to cut away a second 1/4 inch if the lines stay wedged on solid.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:21 PM   #46
warmasice

thanks for the tips guys, i havent got jack stands, but know someone who has some ramps. i will try and get the front end up and hopefully with give me enough space underneath. i dont have a trim tool, hopefully with the car on ramps i will be able to get enough leverage to pull the hoses off. i must say they did seem real hard, almost plastic like. i will give it another shot soon!

Old 01-04-2009, 06:09 AM   #47
warmasice

finally got it fitted, took it to a local garage and they charged me 10 here in the UK which is like $15 i think. not bad!

Old 01-13-2009, 04:25 PM   #48
Wulff

My Ride: 2001 325i
[I] found my 325i is so low I can't use ramps so I always use hydraulic jack and block it for safety. I would never re-use the rubber hoses so whenever I do something like this I always make a slit in the rubber hose to release it from the nipple. It only cost a few bucks (or less) for enough hose to replace all the hoses.
Wulff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:53 AM   #49
csl330ci

My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulff View Post
[I] found my 325i is so low I can't use ramps so I always use hydraulic jack and block it for safety. I would never re-use the rubber hoses so whenever I do something like this I always make a slit in the rubber hose to release it from the nipple. It only cost a few bucks (or less) for enough hose to replace all the hoses.
Do you know the size of the hose or the part number for the oem replacement?
csl330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:33 AM   #50
mujjuman

My Ride: not an E46
where can i buy the fuel filter besides the dealer? autozone?

2003 325xi 5MT
Jet Black, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, OEM Xenon ^^RIP
sig by Solidjake
mujjuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:46 PM   #51
spennI

My Ride: 2004 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mujjuman View Post
where can i buy the fuel filter besides the dealer? autozone?
Bavauto (www.bavauto.com) has them cheaper than Tischer.
spennI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:27 AM   #52
manilaboy1vic

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj213 View Post
Fuel sprayed out like a garden hose from the first hose (the one towards the front of the car) I took off. This is with me pulling the fuse and cranking a few times as well as taking the gas cap off. Good thing I had safety glasses on because I had a gas sprayed all over my face! I'd recommend wrapping a rag around the first hose clamp to dampen the fuel spray.

+1

Thank God i had the safety goggles on..

Stock Headlight Halogen Housings for prefacelift E46
manilaboy1vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:29 AM   #53
manilaboy1vic

Quote:
tried changing my fuel filter today. no joy, i just couldnt get the rubber hoses off the filter. tried prying it with a screwdriver, thin nose pliers, nothing helped! they were wedged on solid. maybe i just didnt have enough space to get enough leverage as the car was on jacks. not a happy bunny, was hoping i'd get it sorted today
those fn clamps,, need to make sure they are completely loose, it may appear loose if you can spin them around but loosen as much as possible so you can slide them forward and backward.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:43 PM   #54
mujjuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spennI View Post
Bavauto (www.bavauto.com) has them cheaper than Tischer.
lol thanks man. i've been waiting for a reply FOREVER. and i asked around and no one told me anything either. i appreciate it.

2003 325xi 5MT
sig by Solidjake
Old 05-27-2010, 12:58 PM   #55
nk_zhp

My Ride: ZHP / E30 M3
I just want to re-iterate your own tip of having a fire extinguisher around.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:30 PM   #56
manilaboy1vic

Quote:
Originally Posted by manydubs View Post
It is the fuse that powers Car 54!
could use this as a security measure in a sketchy neighborhood

Old 08-09-2010, 10:07 PM   #57
Pimpwerx

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325Ci
I just did this today. I couldn't get the hoses off at all. I was running out of patience, so I took the new filter to Autozone and grabbed some new fuel line. I think I got it a tad bit small. I got 1/4" tubing, because it fit nice and snug in the story. However, it doesn't slide all the way down the shaft, so I just pushed them on as far as they could go and clamped them. The tube won't come of, and doesn't leak. I guess my only concern is that the internal diameter is about the same as the hard lines. The original tubing looks slightly wider.

Anyway, I just took some snips and cut all three hoses. I used a golf tee to plug the blue line that leaks gas and then I used a box cutter to cut the hose off the hard lines. It only slid off the front one. The back ones were on there good. Only cutting worked. Be careful though. I think the hard lines are plastic.

I'm wondering if I should grab some thicker fuel line and reconnect the filter. Is that just being anal? PEACE.

Last edited by Pimpwerx; 08-09-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Pimpwerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:09 PM   #58
mujjuman

such a pita

2003 325xi 5MT
sig by Solidjake
Old 08-09-2010, 10:20 PM   #59
Pimpwerx

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325Ci
I went and grabbed it, and it's 1/4" tubing. That's 6.4mm, and I think the fuel filter uses 7mm tubing. Just a little heads-up. Autozone sells the stuff cheap, but I think only in standard. So if you get hose, I assume 9/32" would be the best way to go. The hose is just a couple bucks, and a foot is more than enough. I'll probably switch the hose to 7mm hose when I jack the car up next for the diff oil and short shifter. PEACE.

EDIT: I think this is the fuel system hose: 32411097164
That's an 8mmx13mm tube. 8mm inner diameter, and 13mm outer diameter. That should make it easy to buy hose and clamps. Sorry for the confusion before. I shoulda done more research.

Last edited by Pimpwerx; 08-09-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Pimpwerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:22 PM   #60
mujjuman

thx bro

2003 325xi 5MT
sig by Solidjake