E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-17-2005, 05:34 PM   #1
JewManji

My Ride: a car
Removing headliner

how do you remove the headliner i need to take it out to do my little project. Covering the headliner in swayed. but how do i remove it and put it back.

thanks guys
JewManji is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:41 PM   #2
Chase265
Suck it easy.............

My Ride: A BIG POS
Send a message via AIM to Chase265
i'm 99% sure its held on by glue.....thats all i know, sorry no help here.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:50 AM   #3
ca1242

My Ride: 2003 330i
You want to remove the whole head liner? It is very time consuming and it might be difficult to take it completely out of the car (some manufacturers use the windshield hole to get it in the car). I have never removed the headliner in my E46, but based on my experience with different american/japanese/european cars, I have never seen a headliner being held by glue. The general procedure is to remove all the panels, dome light, sun visors, etc, then it sould unsnap (there are hidden screws under places such as the dome light and alarm motion sensor cover).

Be careful with the side airbags. Not a bad idea to disconnect the battery, to avoid the potential of having to take the car to the dealer to reset the airbag coimputer if something gets disconnected.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:47 PM   #4
heyimtommy

My Ride: 05 G35 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sd Dinan 3
how do you remove the headliner i need to take it out to do my little project. Covering the headliner in swayed. but how do i remove it and put it back.

thanks guys
so y might u be doing this...
heyimtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 09:47 PM   #5
tech474

My Ride: jeep
just remove the A, B, and C pillars. also, remove the cover for the interior sensor. remove the snap on cover in the rear of the headliner and the plastic push pin held underneath. the remove the sunvisors and oh-sh!t handles. then remove the reading lights from the front, they just pop out. then remove the panel with the sunroof switch, it pops out as well. there will be a single phillips screw under the map lights holding the headliner in. remove it, and the plastic push pin under the driver side sun visor clip. the you need to remove the rubber sunroof gasket that is in the opening. now, place both seats in the full forward positions with the seat all the way down and the seat back fully reclined. finally, pull down the upper parts of all of the door seals and the headliner should fall right down. slowly work it out of the rear pass side door. it's ok to bend it a little. just work it out and try not to snag on anything. for tools, you will need a T-20 and a phillips screwdriver and some type of trim tool for sedans. it it's a coupe, you will also need a T-25. coupes have a T-25 underneath each rear map light on the c-pillars.
tech474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 12:01 AM   #6
valentino2001m3

My Ride: 01 M3;97 328;95 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech474
just remove the A, B, and C pillars. also, remove the cover for the interior sensor. remove the snap on cover in the rear of the headliner and the plastic push pin held underneath. the remove the sunvisors and oh-sh!t handles. then remove the reading lights from the front, they just pop out. then remove the panel with the sunroof switch, it pops out as well. there will be a single phillips screw under the map lights holding the headliner in. remove it, and the plastic push pin under the driver side sun visor clip. the you need to remove the rubber sunroof gasket that is in the opening. now, place both seats in the full forward positions with the seat all the way down and the seat back fully reclined. finally, pull down the upper parts of all of the door seals and the headliner should fall right down. slowly work it out of the rear pass side door. it's ok to bend it a little. just work it out and try not to snag on anything. for tools, you will need a T-20 and a phillips screwdriver and some type of trim tool for sedans. it it's a coupe, you will also need a T-25. coupes have a T-25 underneath each rear map light on the c-pillars.
Good info....Thanks
valentino2001m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 01:08 AM   #7
Its311pete

My Ride: Turbo SE-R Sentra
If you have a 2 door you don't have to take the B pillar trim out. The headliner will give enough to clear the B pillar trim. On a 4 door you only have to take
the B pillar trim out on 1 side, this will give you enough room to slide the
headliner over enough to clear the B pillar trim on the opposite side.

I have dropped about 15 headliners doing repairs on sunroof cassettes, Owe how Gravy they are

Last edited by Its311pete; 03-20-2005 at 01:12 AM.
Its311pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 10:33 AM   #8
tech474

My Ride: jeep
well, if you want to get into specifics, you can actually remove the headliner with both b-pillars and a-pillars in place. at last count, i've done around 60 repair kits. it just take time to figure out how to work with the headliner with the pillars in place. i think it's always best to do a job the proper way the first time. then you can figure out which shortcuts you want to use. oh yeah, they are gravy!
tech474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:12 PM   #9
mysterious_guest00

My Ride: bmw 318i e46
can someone upload the step by steps picture please...
mysterious_guest00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:00 PM   #10
florida2002m3

My Ride: 330 ZHP
I am also having problems finding a DIY with pics, its one of those things that if you try to wing it the thing will never look right again.
florida2002m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:24 PM   #11
sellsellsell2000

My Ride: E46 seden
Send a message via AIM to sellsellsell2000
I guess everyone wants to do a Antenna Delete.
sellsellsell2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:26 AM   #12
florida2002m3

My Ride: 330 ZHP
Nothing that fancy, just getting a little sag in my headliner and i want to pull it out and re glue the fabric
florida2002m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:52 PM   #13
SLVRXI

My Ride: 2001 325xi
I just did my head liner, an posts last weekend in swayed an make sure you use good high strength spray adhesive not 3m. I used 3m adhesive an it began to fall down a few days later. Go to some where that carries auto fabric, for the good adhesive. I used DAP Weldwood HIGH STRENGTH. The guy at the shop said thats the only thing he's had good luck with, even in summer heat.
SLVRXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:59 PM   #14
genuity

My Ride: '1 E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVRXI View Post
I used DAP Weldwood HIGH STRENGTH. The guy at the shop said thats the only thing he's had good luck with, even in summer heat.
Is it this?

http://www.amazon.com/DAP-00121-Weld.../dp/B0006MXRXE

Does it have any wording on it about not to use it on headliners? I have been looking around for some stuff and all the ones labeled for "headliners" (e.g. Permatex orange can) are so overpriced, yet the ones that are like "multipurpose" or what not all have warnings not to use them on headliners. I am wondering if it is because it bleeds through or maybe they may release some toxic fumes or what not when exposed to the kind of heat that they would experience on the inside of a vehicle (especially in the south during the summer).
genuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:35 PM   #15
SLVRXI

My Ride: 2001 325xi
The adhesive i used smells like glue in the car for a day or two but it went away, an thats the stuff that was recomended to me by an auto interior guy. I tried a test piece, and it took some serous effort to pull the material back off. The can says multipurpose. The can i have is blue with white writing, an was $14, it took me 3 1/2 cans to do head liner an all 6 post. (have a sedan) The swayed was pretty cheap as well. I think i spent $120 when said an done,
SLVRXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:21 PM   #16
jackkyzer

My Ride: 2002 325i
The member "yellowman" has an amazing pictorial DIY on his site. I used that when I did my headliner in suede. It wasn't very tough, but it was time consuming. Be sure to get all the wrinkles out and be careful with the valleys of the headliner.
jackkyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:57 PM   #17
orthotist

My Ride: 2002 M3, Infiniti FX
head liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech474 View Post
Is there a trick with the C pillars? It seems that the rear edge of liner hooks around an edge or is there clips that pop down with a tool or something like that.
Help me please!
In process right now.
thanks,
orthotist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:53 PM   #18
2001bimmer330i

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Did you ever finish this? I'm going to try this myself in a week or two. What was the gotcha on the C Pillar?
2001bimmer330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:10 PM   #19
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
OP has one of the best usernames I have ever seen.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic M3
Bilstein | Kosei K1 Racing | Toyo Proxes R888 | BMW CCA #430881

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:11 PM   #20
2001bimmer330i

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
I have everything taken out and refinished except the headliner. The problem was that it wasn't the fabric pulling away from the material underneath. Instead it was the blown in padding that pulled away. There wasn't a good way of gluing that back on without it appearing lumpy. Do any of you know where a body shop sprayed that sound barier back on and then reglued the fabric? If not, do any of you know where I could buy the headliner?
2001bimmer330i is offline   Reply With Quote