E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2005, 12:11 PM   #1
Ilan

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Camshaft Position Sensor Bad. Can I still Drive Till I Replace It?

SES light came on, went to Autozone, and it's the camshaft position sensor. Since it's Saturday, I can't get into the dealer till Monday. Is it OK to drive? It stalled a couple of times when I started out, and took a few more cranks to start, but otherwise seems to run fine once I get going. Am I risking getting stuck on the road? It's a 2001 330xi.

Thanks for your help.
Ilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:18 PM   #2
Commander FAT
Network Analyst

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
If I'm not mistaken you may just have a missing engine until you get the sensors replaced.
Old 03-26-2005, 01:04 PM   #3
Pigeon

My Ride: 02 ///M3 & 06 750Li
I drove mine for a couple months with the CEL cycling on and off before I finally replaced it - actually just finished a couple hours ago! It'll run fine, just a little flat.

You'll need a couple non-standard things to do the replacement:
32mm open-ended wrench to remove/replace the VANOS solenoid
5mm Allen head socket
Blue loctite - the factory put it on the bolt holding the sensor for a reason...

Here's how to do it:
* Remove the airbox (2 10mm bolts after the cover's removed)
* Disconnect the tube above the sensor and the VANOS solenoid by squeezing both sides of the connector and pulling straight out (I think this is the PCV recirculation but I'm not sure)
* Disconnect the VANOS solenoid electrical connector by squeezing the wire clip and pulling the connector off
* Remove the VANOS solenoid with the 32mm wrench. Oil will come out, have rags ready
* Remove the camshaft position sensor hold down bolt with the 5mm Allen socket. A standard Allen wrench will also do.
* Pull the CPS out - give it a twist to help it out. Make sure you clean out where the gasket goes as mine was pretty cruddy there. Get a new gasket with the new CPS, it's a buck and worth it to avoid a potential oil leak
* Trace the wire to the connector way underneath the motor and disconnect it and remove the CPS from the car
* Run the new sensor wire the same way the old one ran
* Put the new gasket over the sensor and install it
* Renistall the 5mm Allen bolt with a drop of blue Loctite
* Put everything else back where it came from

Total time, if you have everything you need at hand, maybe 45 minutes.

Have fun!

Scott
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 02:05 PM   #4
slow323ci
E46-free since 10-13-06

My Ride: 335i coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon
I drove mine for a couple months with the CEL cycling on and off before I finally replaced it - actually just finished a couple hours ago! It'll run fine, just a little flat.

5mm Allen head socket
Blue loctite - the factory put it on the bolt holding the sensor for a reason...

Here's how to do it:
* Disconnect the tube above the sensor and the VANOS solenoid by squeezing both sides of the connector and pulling straight out (I think this is the PCV recirculation but I'm not sure)
* Disconnect the VANOS solenoid electrical connector by squeezing the wire clip and pulling the connector off
* Remove the VANOS solenoid with the 32mm wrench. Oil will come out, have rags ready
* Remove the camshaft position sensor hold down bolt with the 5mm Allen socket. A standard Allen wrench will also do.
* Pull the CPS out - give it a twist to help it out. Make sure you clean out where the gasket goes as mine was pretty cruddy there. Get a new gasket with the new CPS, it's a buck and worth it to avoid a potential oil leak
* Trace the wire to the connector way underneath the motor and disconnect it and remove the CPS from the car

Have fun!

Scott
That's the procedure for the intake cam sensor, the exhaust cam sensor is right out in the open on the front right corner of the cylinder head and is a 10 minute job to replace.
slow323ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 04:31 PM   #5
Alpine_330CI

My Ride: 2001 330CI
Send a message via AIM to Alpine_330CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow323ci
That's the procedure for the intake cam sensor, the exhaust cam sensor is right out in the open on the front right corner of the cylinder head and is a 10 minute job to replace.
i rode mine for 3 months, and just replaced it a week ago.

Alpine_330CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 04:54 PM   #6
abefroman

My Ride: 2000 323i
I let mine go for 2-3 weeks before I replaced it. My car died about a day or so before the part came. I wouldn't drive very far before you fix it.
abefroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 06:50 AM   #7
Ilan

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Thanks for everyone's input. But I still don't understand what, exactly, the role of the camshaft position sensor is, and what is the impact of a bad one. Does it slowly deteriorate, or is it the type of sensor that either works or just stops working completely? And if it doesn't work, what's the impact as far as driveability? Will the engine simply shut down completely?

And thanks for the DIY info, but because of time crunch, I think I'll just have the dealer take care of the change on Monday.
Ilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 01:58 PM   #8
Cecil328i

My Ride: 2000 328i
Bump. I need to replace my intake CPS. Anyone have any DIY pics? My SA at the dealership told me when I had the exhaust CPS replaced that it is a problem that could eventually 'leave you on the side of the road'.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:00 PM   #9
davidwarren
Halfway to 2L

My Ride: 2010 335i
refer to post three
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil328i
Bump. I need to replace my intake CPS. Anyone have any DIY pics? My SA at the dealership told me when I had the exhaust CPS replaced that it is a problem that could eventually 'leave you on the side of the road'.

You down with UCC? Ya you know me!
sowing the seeds of jiggery pokery
davidwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 02:12 PM   #10
Cecil328i

I need pics. I saw post 3.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:34 PM   #11
ADA
Banned

My Ride: 323ci
man,

i wished i knew about this thread sooner. I just threw out my used (but in good working condition) camshaft sensors (both intake and exhaust).

I recently replaced my camshaft sensors just for shitzz and giggles. Damn, let me check the dumpster.
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 06:20 PM   #12
Cecil328i

Where exactly is the intake sensor, or do i have to remove the intake box to see it?
Old 05-18-2005, 03:13 PM   #13
pinefield

My Ride: se-r
The inlet cam sensor is by the electromagnetic valve on the left of the oil filter housing (facing the car). The new part number is 12-14-7-539-165 and the o-ring is 12-14-1-748-398. I'm not too sure how difficult it is to get to though.
pinefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:01 PM   #14
macattack_ga

My Ride: '99 328i 5spd w/SP
Thank you Scott!

Thanks Scott! just finished mine last night.
It would have been a 15-20 min project if i had read your instructions more carefully and not dropped one of those wire clips and had to remove the front driver side wheel to retrieve it!

cost me: $110.75 including shipping from Pelican Parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post

5mm Allen head socket

Here's how to do it:

Have fun!

Scott

Last edited by macattack_ga; 06-28-2007 at 03:03 PM.
macattack_ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:20 AM   #15
SHAMIE

My Ride: BMW 330ciC
Hey guys.. very helpful thread thanks! I am getting ready to tackle my own Cam sensor on my 2001 330ci convertible @ 103K and wanna run a few things by the experts:

1. My ODBII code is "P0369: Camshaft Position Sensor B: Bank 1 CKT intermittent" - that code isn't even listed in the master list here! should that worry me?
- is this the Intake or Exhaust sensor?
- are the insturctions in post 3 the ones i should follow??
2. Any recommendations on where to get the part from?
3. Which DIY manual is a favorite among the crowd? Do i need one? I am only somewhat mechanically inclined and this will be my first DIY that involves the engine!! i'm a bit worried - i don't wanna hurt my baby!
Thanks!
SHAMIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:34 AM   #16
VBladeV01

My Ride: Stahlgrau 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAMIE View Post
Hey guys.. very helpful thread thanks! I am getting ready to tackle my own Cam sensor on my 2001 330ci convertible @ 103K and wanna run a few things by the experts:

1. My ODBII code is "P0369: Camshaft Position Sensor B: Bank 1 CKT intermittent" - that code isn't even listed in the master list here! should that worry me?
- is this the Intake or Exhaust sensor?
- are the insturctions in post 3 the ones i should follow??
2. Any recommendations on where to get the part from?
3. Which DIY manual is a favorite among the crowd? Do i need one? I am only somewhat mechanically inclined and this will be my first DIY that involves the engine!! i'm a bit worried - i don't wanna hurt my baby!
Thanks!
PO369 is exhaust and you will find it bolted on the engine block. It's the one closer to the front of the car. I got both my CPS intake/exhaust replaced using a DIY here. Search and you'll find it.