E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 03-22-2008, 12:55 AM   #41
Pancho328i

My Ride: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho328i View Post
Do you think the the 32mm wrench I purchased for replacing the fan clutch will fit the vanos solenoid?

Pancho328i
It did fit. It's great that the same size wrenches are used in many places around the car, a bit of good design on BMW's part. I also cleaned the ABS sensors, which used the same 5mm allen bolt as the CPS.

This was one of the easiest DIYs I've done. I didn't have to move the oil filter canister, but I was lucky to find a leftover allen L wrench that was a little shorter than usual on the long side, such that it was able to turn under the return hose, once it was unplugged.

I also removed the whole airbox. In my 328i it's as much work as removing just the top. It's just two bolts and the clips that go into the air mass flow sensor. Once the box was removed I had more than enough space to plug the CPS connector without moving anything else.

I didn't remove the old sensor until the new wire was routed properly. Overall it took me about 1 hour. Piece of cake.

Last edited by Pancho328i; 03-22-2008 at 01:13 AM.
Pancho328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:38 PM   #42
rshanley

My Ride: 2001 330i
Great DIY. I am not mechanically inclined, but the pics and write-up got me through it. It took about 90 minutes, including changing the oil. This cured my p0344 code, the occasional stalling, and it improved my fuel economy by at least 10% (i.e., brought it back to where it was before the old sensor went bad).

Thanks for the great write-up and pics!
rshanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:59 PM   #43
fauchpj

My Ride: 2003 540i/6
this might sound idiotic, but im stuck at removing the VANOS solenoid. When looking down at the engine, I have been pulling up (left) to loosen it. I have gotten nowhere like this. Does it turn the other way because the only way to look at it is backwards?
fauchpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:07 AM   #44
NoVaDreier

My Ride: 2001 325i
Push down to loosen the VANOS solenoid.
NoVaDreier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:22 AM   #45
globe_trotter

My Ride: 99 328i
Thumbs Up Cps diy

Thanks so so very much for this DIY it saved me a fortune!! As far as the job went well it was all good untill I tried to remove the vanos solonoid. The thing was so friggen tight you wouldnt belive it! Finally after screwing with it for about 30min i finally got it to budge, not before almost totally rounding the bolt. That part was a TOTAL *****, but once that was aside it was smooth sailing.

Thanks again, awsome DIY!
globe_trotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:35 PM   #46
bmwbun
Banned

My Ride: Pre-facelift Coupe
I too wanted to thank those who posted such informative information about the DIY.

I found it very very useful to read before I successfully completed the job today. (My Peake tool was sending code: 15 41)

Here are my adds:

When I bought my parts (from Evan at Tischer!) I purchased not only the new sensor but also the o-ring for it, a replacement o-ring for the vanos solenoid, and a new screw for attaching the sensor. All these extras were cheap and help ensure a good job. The screw for the sensor cost $0.36 and came with a dab of loctite already on it.

Someone in this thread mentioned earlier to be careful removing the vent pipe attached to the valve cover. I can attest to this because when I removed mine it snapped in two. The plastic becomes extremely brittle.

The replacement part for that vent tube costs $25-30. After it broke, I removed the old and then installed the new at the difficult end using a long thin screwdriver and my hands.

Thanks again to the posters of the great DIY info.
bmwbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:15 AM   #47
im2stupid

My Ride: '02 e46 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Eyes Kyo View Post
Thanks Pigeon for this DIY but with no pics itís kinda hard for me to figure out how to do this.
wow, you should've posted your diy as a separate post or put it up on some website, I missed all the great pics after skipping over this thread the first time around due to lack of eye candy.

thanks for the great instructions.
im2stupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:54 PM   #48
Boston325Ci

My Ride: is a gas HOG...
Did this DIY a while back, but just a couple notes that might be useful to the next DIY'er:

1. Buy an OEM sensor! I bought an aftermarket one and it was faulty. Spend the extra $ and get OEM.
2. I broke the vent tube as others did, so be careful around it. The replacement tube was reinforced with a foam wrap, but nonetheless was still a nuisance to replace.

Thats all!

Boston325Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:43 PM   #49
Big Mikey

My Ride: 323i
Thanks this helped me alot!
Big Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:58 PM   #50
Eliott's-BMW

My Ride: E46 3-Pedal Mafia
Hi, I also had problems starting the car and the code P0340 so I removed the cam position sensor by just taking off the VANOS (the sensor was real dirty and had some gray gel on it) and I cleaned re-installed it and the car works again and the service engine light went out too. I still have to test it for a few days to see if is fixed for good, if not I'll just get a new sensor, but all I did so far was cleaning it and this looks like it solved the problem and it only took 20 min for the whole thing.
Eliott's-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:41 AM   #51
MK153

My Ride: '01 330ci TiAg
Where did you all buy the part?

After some research it appears to be part number

12 14 1 438 081

On oem-bmw-parts.com its $220 - isn't it supposed to be like $50?
MK153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:44 AM   #52
MK153

My Ride: '01 330ci TiAg
Called a different dealer and they said it superceds to a new part: 12 147 539 165 ($126.62)

I can't find anything about that part number online - did he say it wrong?
MK153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:07 AM   #53
Boston325Ci

My Ride: is a gas HOG...
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...FILTER_BMWM=ON

The part number I got was 12 14 1 438 081, which I was told was the most up to date part # available...Pelican Parts has it for ~ $90.00
Boston325Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:00 PM   #54
astor

My Ride: 320i(CND import)
P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction

"P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction" Sensor and thermostad changed 3 weeks ago and now P0340 light came again and the car does not pick up speed as normal! Should I remove and reinstall or something else?It was OEM sensoe and looked like it solved the problem now again! Any suggestions?
Thanks
astor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:18 PM   #55
ReXy

My Ride: pooper
Send a message via MSN to ReXy
Did the research and Got mine from BMW of Murry. Changed it out myself.. took 20 mins and cleaned the air filter.....
Man I love this website =-D
ReXy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:02 PM   #56
BigWorm

My Ride: Topaz Blue 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
If you remove the airbox and the tube as described you'll barely have enough room to run the wire by hand. It's tight, and I scratched my hand up some, but you can do it. Good luck!

Scott

just replacing my camshaft position sensor..

great DIY.

unfortunately I was doing mine toward the end of day and ran out of light...so I'm just waiting on running the new wire.

running the new wire back the same way is a real biatch...

one thing I WISH I might have tried first (just a heads up) would be to maybe take a piece of string and some solder or bendable wire.

I'd tie the string to the wire or solder and then make a hook or something so you can attach it on the electrical connection end of the camshaft position sensor. You have to be able to clamp it on with one hand so using bendable wire or solder wire would be perfect I bet.

Then pull the old sensor out with the string attached. Disconnect the old sensor and attach the one to the end of the string and pull it back...

Hopefully now you can just fish your new on back in with the string.

I didn't think of trying this until I pulled it out and now I'm not quite sure how it runs back in.

worth a try.

############### BIGWORM'S STOCK RIDE ####

############### MY LIL BIZATCH ##########
BigWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:41 PM   #57
cowboyjunkie

My Ride: 2001 325i sedan
Camshaft Sensor O-ring

I ordered a replacement sensor from Autohaus and it is larger with an o-ring already on it. It is the sensor on the right. It just seems like a very thin ring but it is very difficult to push the sensor in with the OEM ring in the hole. Do I still need the larger o-ring on before installing this new sensor?

Just thought someone might have dealt with this already.

The part # I got is
12 14 1 438 081
It is a bilstein nr 24162

Thanks
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camshaft Sensor 004.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	298336  
cowboyjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:48 AM   #58
Demon Eyes Kyo

My Ride: 2001 330i
I'm glad this DIY helped so many people. No need to remove oil filter if you have the correct 5mm allen key (L-shaped)

Cowboy - Even though the new sensor you bought is larger, it should still fit with the o-ring on. Put some engine oil on the sensor first to coat it then try wiggling the sensor in.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:10 AM   #59
cowboyjunkie

My Ride: 2001 325i sedan
Thanks for the reply! I took the thin oring off that came on the part and slid the thicker one that I ordered seperately and was the same diameter as the original. It popped in nicely and so far no oil leaks. It also runs like a dream now...forgot how quick it used to be. I cleaned the MAF sensor as well while I had the air box off. I love this car!
cowboyjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:52 AM   #60
YOnpds

My Ride: E46
Just what I needed. Mine just went out. Thx.
YOnpds is offline   Reply With Quote