E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 55 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-05-2006, 02:16 AM   #61
BMWintoxication
Taiwan/Vancouver/Shanghai

My Ride: Jet Black02' 325ci
Send a message via AIM to BMWintoxication Send a message via MSN to BMWintoxication

Orz
BMWintoxication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 06:47 PM   #62
668Ci

My Ride: 2.5 ASA Technik SKI
So If I want to run an aftermarket unit, do I just omit the step that deals with the Ven4 and just run RCA cables to the amp from the new head unit?
Here are the components I have:
1 alpine 4 channel amp, to drive front woofer and tweeter (mbquart component) through channel 1 and 2. Channel 3 and 4 for the rears.
1 alpine 2 channel amp for one sub.

So let me get this right....I'm in the process of installing now...I already got the head unit installed and the rca cable routed to the trunk.

cut and connect appropriate wires for the front woofer and tweeter from the oem amp and run those through my crossovers and then to the amp.

Do the same for the rears, but they are not components so just wire them directly to the amp and connect to channel 3 and 4...

Wire appropriate wires for the amp...throw away the stock amp...and here's is where I need your help fanatics!!!

668Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:08 AM   #63
Seth_Horwitz

My Ride: 330ci, 911 Turbo X50
It seems like your on target. If you wanted to make all of your connections in one place and not have to hide speaker wire running to the rear speakers, you could tap all of your speakers off of the factory harness. You're correct, though, in that you don't have to. Basically, ignore anything having to do with the SVEN4 or RCAs, and you're good. One note, you'll need to tap a remote turn on lead for your amplifiers, even with an aftermarket head.
Seth_Horwitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 02:53 PM   #64
tuckyb

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330CI
Can someone please help me on this; I'm a little confused.

I want to upgrade the sound system in my 2001 bmw 330ci (non H&K) and here are the components I already own:

(1) 2-channel amp w/ built-in crossover, one 12" sub and a capacitor (all Rockford Fosgate).

What I want to accomplish is:
- Use my already own 2-channel amp with the 12" sub for a deeper bass
- Upgrade the front and rear speakers and tweeters (for a cleaner sound)
- Get a new aftermarket 4-channel amp w/ build-in crossover to drive the front and rear speakers.
- Retain my OEM head unit.

I understand that I will need a Peripheral Vendetta 4 to convert the outputs from the OEM head unit to standard RCA.

So if I got this right I'll use channel 1 and 2 from the 4-channel amp for the front speakers and channel 3 and 4 for the rear speakers (high pass only). The configuration would be as follow: OEM Head unit speaker outputs -> ven4 -> aftermarket 4-channel amp -> front and rear speakers

My question is how do I setup the 2-channel amp to the sub? Which wire would I use from the OEM head unit to the 2-channel amp to drive the sub and would I need another ven4 to convert the cable to RCA?
tuckyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:26 PM   #65
Seth_Horwitz

You're better off skipping the SVEN4, and getting an AudioControl crossover that provides 6 output channels. If you don't mind losing fader (front/back) control, one of their less expensive 2 channel inputs/6 channel outputs will work for you. This will replace the SVEN4 in the above write-up. I'm not too familiar with the entire AudioControl line, but there are guys on this board who are. Good luck.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:33 PM   #66
tuckyb

Can anyone advise on the above thread? Which model would I need from AudioControl to achieve this setup, and how would it work?
Old 05-10-2006, 10:13 AM   #67
tuckyb

I visited the AudioControl website and noticed that the LC6 might be the one I need.

Items I would need to complete this set up are:
(1) 2-channel amp w/ built-in crossover to drive the 12" sub (set a low pass) [already own]
(1) Pair of new front and rear speakers
(1) 4-channel amp w/ built-in crossover to drive the front and rear speakers (set at high pass)
(1) LC6 to convert the output signals from the OEM headunit

Can someone please let me know if this setup is correct and would I get a decent sound from it?
Old 05-28-2006, 12:37 PM   #68
jvr826

My Ride: '05 330ci 6MT
Thanks to William and Seth!!

I just wanted to say thanks to the original author, William Quiles, and to Seth for posting this flawless DIY. I've made use of the wiring diagram and front door mounting ideas to upgrade my 2005 330ci with similar a/d/s/ equipment. I'll post a new thread with pictures of my equipment board and additional information.

For now, I wanted to add my contribution to the wiring portion by posting a diagram I made that maps the pins from the connectors on the harness to the internal connections of the amp. I purchased a used non-HK amp from a 1999 E46 sedan and removed the guts except for the small PC board the connector is attached to. The board has six mini connectors on it that are straight-thru signals.

I used 24ga phone wire, solid core, as "pins" to insert into these connectors and mapped the appropriate pins to terminal strips like the ones William used in his original DIY. Viola! A connector for the harness without cutting the harness!

Attached are two pics of how my "connector" turned out, and the pin mapping diagram.

BTW, I made one mistake when I created this. I ran the +12v remote-on wire along with the pre-amp connections. This has resulted in a low level buzzing noise since this wire has power while the stereo is on. So, I've re-routed the wire to alleviate the problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	e46AmpAsConnector-03.jpg
Views:	1018
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	181756   Click image for larger version

Name:	e46AmpAsConnector-02.jpg
Views:	995
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	181757   Click image for larger version

Name:	e46AmpPinMapping-052806a.jpg
Views:	3233
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	181758  

Last edited by jvr826; 05-28-2006 at 12:50 PM.
jvr826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 12:28 PM   #69
DMD

My Ride: 05 Phnix Yellow M3
Has anyone made a connector they are willing to sell so we dont have to split the wires???
DMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:40 AM   #70
Seth_Horwitz

I came back here to answer a PM and noticed that this thread wasn't sticky anymore. Does a sponsor not want others to have this information for free? Just curious. See you guys in another year.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:05 PM   #71
Slawless

My Ride: 2003 m3
I followed this link and did not cut the wires.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=114472

it works well.
Slawless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:57 AM   #72
jonnyboyz1

My Ride: 325CI
Great post. I am definately going to install my own stuff now. Any tips on which line converter to get for a install with 4 channels plus a sub? Also, what is the difference between the "cheap" converters and something like the jl cleansweep or fosgate 3sixty2?
jonnyboyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 12:42 PM   #73
eddiet

My Ride: 325xi
Can we use this to bypass the amp and no cut the wires?? Im more just interested in the connector part and could care less of the ability to convert the signal since i'm getting an Audiocontrol EQS but I don't want to cut the wires.

Thanks

Eddie
eddiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 02:00 AM   #74
Emo

My Ride: 325i Steel Blue
TTT,

Very good thread I thought should be closer to the top.
Emo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:28 AM   #75
Seth_Horwitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emo View Post
TTT,

Very good thread I thought should be closer to the top.

It was a "sticky" at the top until Bavarian Soundwerks sponsored the forum. Strange.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:28 AM   #76
hollaatchaboyj

My Ride: 03' 325i
new 2 this help pls!!!

I have a 03' 325i sedan hk system. I jus want to add a sub and a amp! I bought a LOC and im trying to figure out the best place to connect it. Now from what i got from reading this thread is, i should SPLIT THE LOC ON TO THE HARNESS THAT GOES TO STOCK AMP??? DO I KEEP THE STOCK AMP CONNECTED??? IS THAT RIGHT AND IF SO WHICH WIRES??? the LOC i have has 6 wires on it +,-,ground n +,-,ground. PLs Help!! Im jus looking to keep this basic for now...jus a sub n amp setup pls!
hollaatchaboyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 04:31 PM   #77
hollaatchaboyj

My Ride: 03' 325i
nvm

NVM I HOOKED EVERYTHING UP 2 DAY AND IT SOUNDS GREAT!!!! GOOD LOOK!
hollaatchaboyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 10:23 PM   #78
jsh7219

My Ride: E46 BMW M3 / F-150
Bump

Bump to a GREAT thread.
jsh7219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:41 PM   #79
greginno

My Ride: 2004 330xi
What a great post, thanks for taking the time to compile everything!

Like the fella above, I just want to hook up my amp and sub for now. Would it be best to just tap the rear left & right out wires (before amp, leaving the OEM harness in its original setup) into a SVEN and feeding the amp? I've actually already purchased the SVEN4 and I assume that I can just use one pair of channels, is this correct?

Many thanks for any help.
greginno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 04:02 PM   #80
TiAG ///M3

My Ride: 2002 M3
By far one of the best threads I've read here! Allowed me to transfer my amp+sub setup from my E36 into my E46 with ease. Was completed in i'd say an hour max. This should hold me over till I can get my custom setup going.
TiAG ///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote