E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 55 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-08-2008, 10:55 PM   #81
fayraree

My Ride: 04 M3 vert
+1 on sticky!!!

Holy ****, this was intense. I don't know the first thing about stereo wiring and was completely intimidated by all the cutting and resoldering of wires going on!!! LOL!

I'm wondering if there is a list of all the stock HK speakers that would be included in a 2004 M3 Cabrio (with sizes or model numbers) and a corresponding list of better/top rated speakers which would fit the same brackets without any mods to the door panels/what not to make it a stock finish. Also prices of the aftermarket speakers would help! LOL I will do my own research now but if there are any links that anyone could post, it would be much appreciated!

I've been reading a lot about Focals, Rainbow, etc...I guess I have to start my research now!

Just found this link, "Definitive Stock HK Speaker Sizes and specs":

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=57192

...but it's for the e46 M3 coupe...gotta find the same list for e46 M3 Cab (although the fronts are the same and I realize that a front upgrade is all I really need to improve the sound for a n00b like me! lol)

Last edited by fayraree; 01-08-2008 at 11:14 PM.
fayraree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:57 AM   #82
yupi28

My Ride: BMW 325i 2001
Great Post!
yupi28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 04:35 AM   #83
Genuine
Banned

My Ride: 00 323i 4Dr
Anyone try fitting Dynaudio MW160's?

They're 7" drivers.....with a pretty deep voice coil.

I haven't been into the car audio thing for 6 years....and one night randomly reading this site has my up at 2am and conjuring up ideas on how i want to do it. My e46 only has an aftermarket HU, JL12w7 (factory wedge box), JL 1000/1, all Tiff accessory items.

Still using the factory HK speakers, in fact...I think my sub has been disconnected for the past 2 years....haven't really cared.

Just want to say, thanks to all you a**holes. hahaha

So back to my question, any input? I've looked and read at the threads regarding the OZ 7" drivers, but specifically askin about the MW160's.

And, anyone WTB my JL 12w7? I'd rather go with 2 10"s.....either that or I'm too lazy to build a box for my w7 since i dropped around $1000 back in 2002. blah
Genuine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:10 PM   #84
mujjuman

My Ride: not an E46
very interesting. thanks

2003 325xi 5MT
Jet Black, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, OEM Xenon ^^RIP
sig by Solidjake
mujjuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:09 PM   #85
Orion329

My Ride: MKV GTI
i'm in the process of doing the same thing to my non-hk 2000 323i. everything is done in the trunk--and all the wire colors were spot on--and i'm just popping in speakers now, but this afternoon when i was putting in the rear tweeters, my wiring colors weren't the same. i had yellow/black and yellow/brown on both sides, not just the left. and now i'm doing the front door right tweeter and the wiring is yellow and yellow/red (instead of the yellow/red and yellow/brown that your chart specifies.

any advice? seems like it's going to be a fun game of troubleshooting which connection is which...
Old 09-29-2009, 07:28 PM   #86
323hopes

My Ride: e46 00'323coupe/auto
this William fella has not only inspired me to upgrade my hk system but also to join e46fanatics!!
323hopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:11 AM   #87
LuckyM313

My Ride: Deployed
I am doing a very similiar set up excep using seperate amps for the sub and the front components and rear coaxil. My only question is why you opted not to hook up the front mids. i have a component in door, mid/base in bottom of door and one tweeter in top of door. Should i only wire the High and Bass for the front. Wont i loose the Mids? also instead of v4 or now Sven4 im using the audio control LC6i.
LuckyM313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 01:10 AM   #88
Orion329

i'm assuming you're hooking up new speakers with your new amps. in this DIY, a set of matched 2-way component speakers was used. the component sets are designed to re-create the full range of frequencies, without the need of a midrange. by adding another midrange, you'll be duplicating sounds that your 2-way components already are designed to create.

your new amp will send out a full-range signal to a crossover (something that comes with all component sets), which will divide the signal between a tweeter and woofer accordingly.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:56 PM   #89
LuckyM313

My Ride: Deployed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion329 View Post
i'm assuming you're hooking up new speakers with your new amps. in this DIY, a set of matched 2-way component speakers was used. the component sets are designed to re-create the full range of frequencies, without the need of a midrange. by adding another midrange, you'll be duplicating sounds that your 2-way components already are designed to create.

your new amp will send out a full-range signal to a crossover (something that comes with all component sets), which will divide the signal between a tweeter and woofer accordingly.
wow, that actually makes perfect sense. Thanks, i somtimes have trouble understanding all this stuff. but i think i got it now.
LuckyM313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:08 AM   #90
Orion329

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyM313 View Post
wow, that actually makes perfect sense. Thanks, i somtimes have trouble understanding all this stuff. but i think i got it now.
glad to hear it, good luck with the install.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:44 PM   #91
XXXXXJASONXXXXX

My Ride: E46 M Sport Cab
Great information in this thread, however I am still searching for some answers please :

Does the non-HK Euro E46 vert have the same wiring harness ?
(As they dont have the amps as standard)
Will I find the black and grey pin-out blocks in standard head unit Eurocar ?
Does the Euro head unit need a line converter ?
(I believe they have an amplifier built into the head unit)
Does the vert have any wires for rear speakers (unused obviously) that can be tapped to prevent having to run a new harness ?

What I havenot fitted yet)
Euro E46 vert with headunit and cd changer in the boot.
Audio Control LC6i Line out converter.
Amp
8" Sub
1x pair of bass and mid-range + tweeters + crossovers

What I'd like to achieve:
Retain the head unit.
Use the LC6i to supply a signal to both front speakers and rear sub
Use the amp to drive the sub.
Replace front door bass and tweeters.

Finally, I've seen the various locations for the amps and subs and have decided where I'm going to fit these. I've not seen where to locate the AudioControl LC6i - I presume up front somewhere to get the line outs from the headunit ? but where ? or is there a harness in the rear passenger side panel that can be tapped to locate it in the boot ?

The Euro E46 vert seems to be a very different animal as you have no rear speaker shelf (obviously), no preinstalled amp, different headunit ?
Anyone got any info on an upgrade done on a Euro E46 vert especially the wiring please ?
XXXXXJASONXXXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:10 PM   #92
glass330

My Ride: 323ci to 01 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion329 View Post
i'm in the process of doing the same thing to my non-hk 2000 323i. everything is done in the trunk--and all the wire colors were spot on--and i'm just popping in speakers now, but this afternoon when i was putting in the rear tweeters, my wiring colors weren't the same. i had yellow/black and yellow/brown on both sides, not just the left. and now i'm doing the front door right tweeter and the wiring is yellow and yellow/red (instead of the yellow/red and yellow/brown that your chart specifies.

any advice? seems like it's going to be a fun game of troubleshooting which connection is which...
I noticed this exact same issue. SEDAN OWNERS!?! On the right hand side front tweeter, which wire is the + and -. The wiring is only solid yellow, and yellow with a red line! This is a different color than the wiring at the harness in the trunk Please Help!
glass330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:15 PM   #93
glass330

My Ride: 323ci to 01 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass330 View Post
I noticed this exact same issue. SEDAN OWNERS!?! On the right hand side front tweeter, which wire is the + and -. The wiring is only solid yellow, and yellow with a red line! This is a different color than the wiring at the harness in the trunk Please Help!
Here this pic should help, someone run out to their car and check!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	25.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	339932  
glass330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:45 PM   #94
XXXXXJASONXXXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXXXJASONXXXXX View Post
Great information in this thread, however I am still searching for some answers please :

Does the non-HK Euro E46 vert have the same wiring harness ?
(As they dont have the amps as standard)
Will I find the black and grey pin-out blocks in standard head unit Eurocar ?
Does the Euro head unit need a line converter ?
(I believe they have an amplifier built into the head unit)
Does the vert have any wires for rear speakers (unused obviously) that can be tapped to prevent having to run a new harness ?

What I havenot fitted yet)
Euro E46 vert with headunit and cd changer in the boot.
Audio Control LC6i Line out converter.
Amp
8" Sub
1x pair of bass and mid-range + tweeters + crossovers

What I'd like to achieve:
Retain the head unit.
Use the LC6i to supply a signal to both front speakers and rear sub
Use the amp to drive the sub.
Replace front door bass and tweeters.

Finally, I've seen the various locations for the amps and subs and have decided where I'm going to fit these. I've not seen where to locate the AudioControl LC6i - I presume up front somewhere to get the line outs from the headunit ? but where ? or is there a harness in the rear passenger side panel that can be tapped to locate it in the boot ?

The Euro E46 vert seems to be a very different animal as you have no rear speaker shelf (obviously), no preinstalled amp, different headunit ?
Anyone got any info on an upgrade done on a Euro E46 vert especially the wiring please ?
Update:
Now fitted the sub in the ski pass - still waiting on some answers to the above please !

Last edited by XXXXXJASONXXXXX; 12-03-2009 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Update
Old 12-03-2009, 12:08 PM   #95
XXXXXJASONXXXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXXXJASONXXXXX View Post
Update:
Now fitted the sub in the ski pass - still waiting on some answers to the above please !
Now fitted the front Tweeters and Bass and started a thread with photos over the pond. (No cutting doors and less than 5mins sanding)

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...8#post10980068
Old 12-06-2009, 10:47 AM   #96
XXXXXJASONXXXXX

BUMP

Anyone have the pinouts for the CD changer ?
Would I be better taking the feed from the rear passenger speakers to connect my AudioControl LC6i or the wiring from the CD changer ?
I am going to run my LC6i to an Amp to drive my Sub this week - photos to follow the install.

Any AudioControl experts out there ?

It is a Euro E46 Vert - IT HAS NO AMP !!! (and the Euro head units are pre amplified)
Old 12-13-2009, 01:53 AM   #97
niko084

My Ride: '02 330ci
Being mobile A/V is my thing I figured I would chime in on something I read a bit back here.

Someone brought up getting distortion at high volume levels when using the factory headunit.

This would only result from two things, either you were over pushing the inputs on the amp *turn the sensitivity down* or you were over pushing the decks outputs *turn the volume down*. You can do the same with an aftermarket headunit.

Old saying, want it louder, buy a bigger amp.

I don't know from experience with these cars in particular, but in most cases people clip the outputs from the headunit in turn giving the amplifier a clipped signal which just amplifies the distortion. A aftermarket headunit can generally help this, but in some cases you are better off with a larger amplifier anyways.

For people who really like it loud, I would recommend aiming for an amp that gives 75+ watts per channel RMS in a quality amp, you don't have to use it all, but having the extra keeps it clean and crisp.
niko084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:13 AM   #98
Nik1976

My Ride: '05 330XI Touring
IMHO: This is a good guide for starters, but huge space left for SQ improvements. Here are few tips:

1. Plain and simply replacement of standards speakers is not good for both SQ audiophiles and SPL maniacs. BMW door panel just can't handle speaker well and speaker can't reproduce mid-bass well when playing under the door panel. To get mid bass you have to drill the door and install speaker mount similar to one showed here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=317339

2. Internal speaker mount like showed above is not very good for SQ as well. Factory BMW grilles are poorly oriented toward the legs and it's diameter is too small for 16-17" speakers. With internal speaker mount you'll get muffed sound with muddy soundstage located somewhere under the dash. I had similar setup with wery nice Alpine SPX-17Pro speaker set and was not satisfied with sound quality.

3. To get most of high quality speaker you have to cut the door panel and make custom speaker podiums. Decision to modify BMW interior is always hard and I tried everything to keep the factory look untouched, however factory speaker locations and grilles are just too bad for SQ. My good friend is professional car audio installer, he made vary nice and stock looking speaker stand for me. Here is the detailed report translated from Russian: http://translate.google.com/translat...n&hl=&ie=UTF-8
With new speaker podiums sound quality improved dramatically. Sound became much more detailed and natural with punchy mid-bass, soundstage moved up to top of the dash. In fact, overall SQ improved much more than previous upgrade from mid range speakers Hertz HSK-165 to hi-fi Alpine set. So if you're not satisfied with quality of your aftermarket speakers, think about external podiums before changing speakers to something more expensive.

4. Passive LOD adapters like Peripheral VEN4 are noisy and not good in therms of SQ. I tried several different options and decided to go with active Audiocontrol Matrix LOD which fully supports BMW's balanced outputs to speakers or amplifier.

Last edited by Nik1976; 12-14-2009 at 06:54 AM.
Nik1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:17 AM   #99
niko084

My Ride: '02 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik1976 View Post
4. Passive LOD adapters like Peripheral VEN4 are noisy and not good in therms of SQ. I tried several different options and decided to go with active Audiocontrol Matrix LOD which fully supports BMW's balanced outputs to speakers or amplifier.
You did bring up some good points.

On the Matrix, did you just wire the outputs back to the rca's or did you use a separate adapter for that as well?

Also, your door panels turned out pretty nice, I was lightly considering somewhat the same idea myself to end up with a 3 way in the doors.
niko084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:29 AM   #100
Nik1976

My Ride: '05 330XI Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by niko084 View Post
You did bring up some good points.

On the Matrix, did you just wire the outputs back to the rca's or did you use a separate adapter for that as well?

Also, your door panels turned out pretty nice, I was lightly considering somewhat the same idea myself to end up with a 3 way in the doors.
Honestly speaking my Matrix is ordered two weeks ago and it's still somewhere on long snowy way to mother Russia. I don't think that separate adapter is actually needed. Soldering RCA connectors to stock cables should do the job well. I'll post more detailed report when I'll get my Matrix.

Believe me, good external speaker podiums makes really BIG difference in E46. It's definitely worth upgrade. I would recommend it to anyone who is going to install high quality aftermarket speakers.
IMHO: 3 way speakers is risky. It will be very uneasy set up, especially if you don't have advanced audio processor. Midrange speakers usually not well suited for installation in the doors and it's location/direction is very important for proper soundtage setup. I decided to not use processors, so my system is not flexible enough for 3 way speakers. I spent lots of time tweaking Alpine crossovers and just don't have enough time to search for proper midrange location. That's why 2 way setup is optimal for me. Just think twice before choosing 3 way system. It's not always better and definitely not so easy to set up.
Nik1976 is offline   Reply With Quote