E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-15-2005, 02:18 PM   #1
turborl7

My Ride: M3
E46 M3 Oil

My free maintenance has exprired at BMW - I'm about to change my oil but I want to know what kind of oil I should use for the M3, and filter as well.
Red R1 - Stolen :(
Katana 750 - Sold
VFR750 - Sold
FZR600 - Sold
Rx7 Single Turbo (400RWHP) - Sold :(
300ZX - Flipped
3000GT - Crashed
turborl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:28 PM   #2
Irrenarzt
I like Techron

My Ride: 03.5 Ag/Grey M3
Send a message via AIM to Irrenarzt
Only oil suitable is Castrol 10W60 from the dealer.
Irrenarzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 06:10 PM   #3
turborl7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrenarzt
Can't I buy that at like a Pep Boys or something? and what about the filter?
Katana 750 - Sold
VFR750 - Sold
FZR600 - Sold
300ZX - Flipped
3000GT - Crashed
Old 04-15-2005, 06:11 PM   #4
Smoltz

My Ride: 04 S4, 05 XL1200C
Quote:
Originally Posted by turborl7

Nope, get the filter from the dealer as well. If you're looking to save a few bucks order it online. Don't use anything except Castrol TWS 10-60.

Adam
Smoltz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 08:00 PM   #5
turborl7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoltz
Nope, get the filter from the dealer as well. If you're looking to save a few bucks order it online. Don't use anything except Castrol TWS 10-60.

Adam
Thanks for the info dude. I guess I'll be ordering some from circlebmw
Katana 750 - Sold
VFR750 - Sold
FZR600 - Sold
300ZX - Flipped
3000GT - Crashed
Old 04-15-2005, 08:01 PM   #6
turborl7

One last stupid question how many quarts?
Katana 750 - Sold
VFR750 - Sold
FZR600 - Sold
300ZX - Flipped
3000GT - Crashed
Old 04-15-2005, 08:39 PM   #7
valentino2001m3

My Ride: 01 M3;97 328;95 525
Thumbs Up

Quote:
My free maintenance has exprired at BMW - I'm about to change my oil but I want to know what kind of oil I should use for the M3, and filter as well.

I would start looking onto AMSOIL. It is the best oil on the market period, to include red line pil products. Do a seach and read up on it. This is what I'm running in all my BMW's now. It is pricey but so is your car. Good luck...
valentino2001m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 08:41 PM   #8
Aquaman

My Ride: AA Stage 2 M3
Is Castrol TWS 10-60 a synthetic?

Look in your M3 manual...I believe the number of quarts required is specified.
Aquaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 05:44 AM   #9
acitydweller

My Ride: e46 M3
Im not really sure what "best oil on the market" really means it relies solely on the credibility of the source. Don't you just love blanket statements like this on the web?

Realistically, it doesnt matter what oil you use as long as the weight and viscosity is at 10W60. At the moment, only Castrol is readily available. The oil label on your airvent should state only use Castrol 10W60 oil. Its fully synthetic and is designed to run at 15,000 mile intervals between changes. If you are chosing another oil or weight, good luck. The whole rod bearing problem stemmed from not having enough lubrication on the pistons as the early m3's using 5w30. This forced BMWNA to do the "service recall" and reissue labels stating only use 10W60. well, do what you wish to your car. good luck
acitydweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 08:32 PM   #10
MFarrZHP

My Ride: Has 6 speeds
The manual says to use the Castrol 10W60. I wouldnt try anything else. I believe it comes in Litres, I used 5.5L on my last oild change.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:56 PM   #11
Commander FAT
Network Analyst

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Quote:
You can get a filter at other places. You'll just have to look up your car in their catalog books.

As for how much you should pour in you can just fill it up until oil just barely gets to the top of the dip stick tube.

Your manuan will say how much oil to pour in.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:04 PM   #12
bengwie

My Ride: 2004 M3 Coupe
I used the castrol 10W60 on my 04 M3, I called redline oil company days before I changed my oil, ask them what they recomment, they said just use the castrol 10W60.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:56 PM   #13
hayesMpower

My Ride: '05 M3 / '02 330Ci
Quote:
Redline does not yet make a substitute oil for the M .... it does have other quality fluid products for the M.

Castrol 10W60, is the only game in town.

I'd try to lessen the pain by:

a) searching the web to source the product on line (save sales tax to offset shipping) .... do a search on M3forum.com ... there are a couple of places with good prices ... but still hella expensive

b) join BMWCCA ... affords 10-20% discount at many stealerships. If you change your oil every 5-7,000 miles, will pay for membership quickly and you get Roundel

c) shop around your local stealers for best price for overall oil change ... AAA membership sometimes gets a discount as well.

Don't be penny wise and pound foolish. Change the oil sooner than the 15,000 miles interval BMW espouses .... all marketing!

good luck.,,

hayesboy
hayesMpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 12:06 AM   #14
SpinHouse247

My Ride: 2001 525iT
Send a message via AIM to SpinHouse247
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayesMpower
Redline does not yet make a substitute oil for the M .... it does have other quality fluid products for the M.

Castrol 10W60, is the only game in town.

I'd try to lessen the pain by:

a) searching the web to source the product on line (save sales tax to offset shipping) .... do a search on M3forum.com ... there are a couple of places with good prices ... but still hella expensive

b) join BMWCCA ... affords 10-20% discount at many stealerships. If you change your oil every 5-7,000 miles, will pay for membership quickly and you get Roundel

c) shop around your local stealers for best price for overall oil change ... AAA membership sometimes gets a discount as well.

Don't be penny wise and pound foolish. Change the oil sooner than the 15,000 miles interval BMW espouses .... all marketing!

good luck.,,

hayesboy
I couldn't agree more!
SpinHouse247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 07:51 AM   #15
redfalcon

My Ride: 2003 M3 coupe
This is just my opinion from my own research, so please be kind. When I first got my 03 M3 I, as many of you looked into an alternative oil than the infamous 10w60. I called the BMW members techline and spoke to a rep. to inquire about the ecclusive use of 10w60. And because I do use Amsoil in my other vehicles (one vehicle has 204000+ miles with no problems) and did alot of research of oil properties before I went to Amsoil I came to these conclusions:
A. Since BMW went to a 15000 mile limit before an oil change they needed an oil that would not "shear" down too much in viscosity before the change limit has been reached....meaning after a time the 10w60 would "shear" down to a 20w50(this is just an example). The stress on the oil that would cause the shearing would be due to the tight tolerences within the engine and the high rpm that the engine can operate at and heat.
When I spoke the rep I asked this question directly and he agreed without coming out and saying it.
B.Since many of us feel kind of antsy leaving oil in for 15000 miles before a change...some change it at 3000 and some at 5000 etc....whatever the case it would be sooner than 15000 I believe we could use a different weight synthetic than a 10w60.
C. Redline and Amsoil will not come out and say, yes use our 20W50 because of the litigious nature of people. If anything would go wrong with thier car with thier product in it they risk being taken to court..and who would open themselves to that.
D. At the 1200 mile service the dealer did not change the oil even though the service card indicates that it should (another story). I changed the oil myself to an Amsoil 20w50. I then received the recall for the connecting rod bering problem, by then my car had a little over 5000 miles. I asked to see the berings once they were removed. The mechanic and I did not see any
indications of premature wear or damage (maybe I was lucky) to the berings. They look like the could be put back in the car. The dealer did put 10w60 back in. (I did not tell them I changed to 20w50).

My conclusion... When I change the oil I feel comfortable enough based on my experiences to use Amsoil 20W50. I'll be changing my oil every 3000 miles along with a new filter. Everybody else will have to decide for themselves based on how they drive, how often they drive (I put only 3000 miles a year on my M3 because I don't drive the car during the winter)

Please no flames this is just my opinion based on my own experiences. Also a forum, like email, it's hard to have a free flow discussion without losing "meanings" within the body of the post.
redfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 01:09 PM   #16
Smoltz

My Ride: 04 S4, 05 XL1200C
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfalcon
This is just my opinion from my own research, so please be kind. When I first got my 03 M3 I, as many of you looked into an alternative oil than the infamous 10w60. I called the BMW members techline and spoke to a rep. to inquire about the ecclusive use of 10w60. And because I do use Amsoil in my other vehicles (one vehicle has 204000+ miles with no problems) and did alot of research of oil properties before I went to Amsoil I came to these conclusions:
A. Since BMW went to a 15000 mile limit before an oil change they needed an oil that would not "shear" down too much in viscosity before the change limit has been reached....meaning after a time the 10w60 would "shear" down to a 20w50(this is just an example). The stress on the oil that would cause the shearing would be due to the tight tolerences within the engine and the high rpm that the engine can operate at and heat.
When I spoke the rep I asked this question directly and he agreed without coming out and saying it.
B.Since many of us feel kind of antsy leaving oil in for 15000 miles before a change...some change it at 3000 and some at 5000 etc....whatever the case it would be sooner than 15000 I believe we could use a different weight synthetic than a 10w60.
C. Redline and Amsoil will not come out and say, yes use our 20W50 because of the litigious nature of people. If anything would go wrong with thier car with thier product in it they risk being taken to court..and who would open themselves to that.
D. At the 1200 mile service the dealer did not change the oil even though the service card indicates that it should (another story). I changed the oil myself to an Amsoil 20w50. I then received the recall for the connecting rod bering problem, by then my car had a little over 5000 miles. I asked to see the berings once they were removed. The mechanic and I did not see any
indications of premature wear or damage (maybe I was lucky) to the berings. They look like the could be put back in the car. The dealer did put 10w60 back in. (I did not tell them I changed to 20w50).

My conclusion... When I change the oil I feel comfortable enough based on my experiences to use Amsoil 20W50. I'll be changing my oil every 3000 miles along with a new filter. Everybody else will have to decide for themselves based on how they drive, how often they drive (I put only 3000 miles a year on my M3 because I don't drive the car during the winter)

Please no flames this is just my opinion based on my own experiences. Also a forum, like email, it's hard to have a free flow discussion without losing "meanings" within the body of the post.

I've read quite a bit on AMSOIL and have read nothing but extremly positive reviews, from scientific findings to customer testimonial, it's all postivie. That being said, when I called them and asked about the M3, they told me to use the Castrol 10W-60. I'm sure that if AMSOIL made a 10-60 it would be excellent, but I'll stick with what BMW and AMSOIL recommend.

Adam
Smoltz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 11:44 PM   #17
Jacky72

My Ride: E46M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrenarzt
Yeah the same applies in the Far East too...
Only the dealer has it....good monopoly biz heh..
Old 09-17-2011, 10:30 PM   #18
wa6lie

My Ride: '04 M3 Carbon Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentino2001m3 View Post
I would start looking onto AMSOIL. It is the best oil on the market period, to include red line pil products. Do a seach and read up on it. This is what I'm running in all my BMW's now. It is pricey but so is your car. Good luck...
I have a '04 M3 and am running AMSOIL 15-50 racing oil. BMW requires the TWS (Germany) NOT USA synthetic oil. The main reason for requiring the Castrol Oil (Germany) is because of oil shear. The AMSOIL 15-50 is a heavy 50 weight, closer to 60. The shear ratings are better that the TWS 10-60 oil. I also race my M3 on the track and autoX and runs great, and strong.
The S54 engine REQUIRES synthetics ONLY!

Use the Mann oil filters.

Scott
Salinas, CA.
wa6lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:10 PM   #19
BGAndrea

My Ride: 2012 Audi S4 Sedan
Send a message via AIM to BGAndrea
10W-60 from local dealer. If you have a good relationship with your parts guy, it is cheaper than online. If you don't, now is the time to practice your social skills and develop one. You will need 6 quarts and a filter kit. The kit includes a filter, new O-ring for the filter housing, and I'm pretty sure a new O-ring for the drain plug. It is easy enough to DIY the oil change, but to be honest I am perfectly happy recently bringing my oil and filter kit to the local Jiffy Lube, having the head of their ship do it, and making sure everything is properly torqued on recently calibrated wrenches. Make sure you keep all receipts for oil AND labor, so you can prove it was done regularly if/when you sell your car. If it's not done at the dealer, there is no traceable record.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:53 AM   #20
WilliSverige

My Ride: '98 Volvo V70 AWD M
Pretty sure the M3 oil filter that is used from the factory is Mahle. The non M cars use a Mann as OE.
WilliSverige is offline   Reply With Quote