E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2005, 05:02 PM   #1
surferdude013

My Ride: ///M3 2003.5
Send a message via MSN to surferdude013
wet sanding...

my car is a 2002 and i was wondering if it would be necessary to wet sand it? the paint is not bad at all! i keep it WELL waxed. but if i clay it sometimes it doesnt get everything out of my paint, so would it be stupid to wet sand it?
thanks

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:38 PM   #2
christyles

My Ride: '00 323i
Send a message via AIM to christyles
what is it exactly you are trying to remove.

I would say to wetsanding unless you want to remove scratches, but for surface contaminants... figure out what it is you're trying to remove and there should be a solution.

Tar? - tar removal chemical like from Autoglym
Industrial fallout - more claying and compounding...
Old 05-01-2005, 06:35 PM   #3
bernstem

My Ride: 2000 328i
Before wet-sanding, I would try using a good polish and machine buffer (either random orbital or circular). If you can't get it out with that, you may need a wet-sanding, but...you may also decide that the expense isn't worth it. It all depends how bad the scratches/swirls/holograming are and how much they bother you. If your car has been fairly well treated, it is unlikely you will actually need a wet sand.

You probably know this already, but I would also leave the wet sanding to the professionals. There is a real risk of damaging your paint. Using a good polish and a random orbital, on the other hand, is fairly low risk and you can do it yourself.

mike
Old 05-01-2005, 07:41 PM   #4
BoostedBoogie
Banned

My Ride: facelifted e46
does the area to be polished/buffed have to be claybared and extremely clean? or can it just be semi-clean with a hand scrub and wash?
BoostedBoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 07:54 PM   #5
AlBoston

My Ride: is blue
use wetsanding as a last resort next to respraying.
2002 Lexus IS300 - Silver/Black (Previous ride)
AlBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 08:19 PM   #6
bernstem

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBoogie
does the area to be polished/buffed have to be claybared and extremely clean? or can it just be semi-clean with a hand scrub and wash?
Well...I would clay it. Whatever is on the paint will be polished/buffed into the paint. The cleaner your paint is to start with, the better your results will be...I think, but I have never polished without claying first. In my opinion, why take the risk?
Old 05-02-2005, 11:54 PM   #7
m002

My Ride: Mmmmm
I hope you have enough experience before you do wetsanding. That would be the last souce.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:16 PM   #8
adsmobilelex
Banned

My Ride: 01 Lexus IS Widebody
Pass on the wet sanding, save that for the professionals.
adsmobilelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 03:24 PM   #9
tmaxturner

My Ride: e36 GT35R Turbo M3
I have always kept turtle wax brand polishing compound and rubbing compound in my detail box.

I use the courser red colored rubbing compound or "rouge"f or scratches and contaminants. It will dull your paint much the same as wet sanding with 1000 or 1500 grit paper but without the risks of damage cause from a folded piece of sandpaper or sanding in the same direction for too long, etc.

You bring back the shine by moving to the colishing compound (the white paste) then a polish or wax.

Wet sanding is mostly used by finishers to remove orange peel effects from spraypainting