E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-03-2009, 08:44 PM   #221
jason330cic

My Ride: 2001 330cic
I replaced my FSR today. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be; took about 1 hour. Mine was a Behr FSR held in place with just one tab on the top, it had no screws. The new one I got was made by Meyle and it didn't seem to snap into place with the one tab so I just added a screw to hold it in. It's such a tight fit that I doubt it will ever fall out anyway. The only real problem I had was my t20 torque driver was too short, but I found a longer one that worked.

My climate control now works like new again and the whole repair cost less that $50

jason330cic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:46 PM   #222
Anoninla

My Ride: 2003 330xi
I bought a Final Stage Resistor (part #64-11-6-923-204 made by Meyle) for a 2003 BMW 330xi. The old Behr FSR only had a tab and no screws holding it in. Like the post above, the new part doesn't seem to fit into the FSR holder. The new FSR is the updated design with more fins to dissipate heat better and is supposed to fit the E46 2001-2005 330xi models. I can slide the old FSR in and out without any problems and the tab clicks in to hold it, but the new part seems slightly wider so it won't seat itself properly and the tab won't click to hold it in place since it won't slide in far enough. I compared the Meyle part to other parts with the same number listed online and the size and shape looks the same.

Does anyone know if this is a problem with the Meyle part or if the updated design (regardless of manufacturer) just doesn't fit in a 2003 330xi? Has anyone else had this problem with the Meyle part?

I saw that Pelican Parts lists part #64-11-6-920-365-M6 for a 2003 330xi - does anyone know if this is the newer design with 39 heat fins or the older design with 12 heat fins? Would this part number fit better?

Last edited by Anoninla; 04-05-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Anoninla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:35 AM   #223
jaydeals

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i
I actually bought the FSR couple months ago. Decided to do the installation today. I read through almost every posting in this thread before I started. But I overlooked the posting about the metal clip on the far left hand side of the plastic kick panel, so when I removed the kick panel, ended up breaking the thin plastic where the metal clip is inserted into.

Then when I got to the damper unit, took out the two torx screws but could not figure out an easy way to disengage the linkage even after reading Post No. 150 couple times. After a while, I decided to just leave it hanging in there and moved it around as necessary in order to get to the FSR mounting screws. Everything else went smoothly after that. The old FSR came out easily and the new one went in without a hitch. Did not have any tight fitting problem like some people mentioned here.

Here is what I did a little differently after reading the other postings:

- one poster said he dropped the torx screw into a hole, so I used a piece of paper to cover up the little pipes and cracks below the FSR and I shapedthe paper so that if the screw fell off, it would just slide all the way down into the floor board.
-someone mentioned there was difficulty in reinstalling the screws, I used some electrical tape to wrap the screw onto the torx driver before reinstalling the screws so it would stay on, then removed the tape after the screw went into the hole a couple of turns.

I have a 2001 325i, the FSR is mounted by 2 torx screws. It was assembled in Rosslyn, South Africa (I don't know if this makes a difference in whether the FSR has 2 torx screw or not. I bought this in Pleasanton, CA in August 2001.
jaydeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:14 AM   #224
Arby1028

My Ride: 2002 330i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoninla View Post
I bought a Final Stage Resistor (part #64-11-6-923-204 made by Meyle) for a 2003 BMW 330xi. The old Behr FSR only had a tab and no screws holding it in. Like the post above, the new part doesn't seem to fit into the FSR holder. The new FSR is the updated design with more fins to dissipate heat better and is supposed to fit the E46 2001-2005 330xi models. I can slide the old FSR in and out without any problems and the tab clicks in to hold it, but the new part seems slightly wider so it won't seat itself properly and the tab won't click to hold it in place since it won't slide in far enough. I compared the Meyle part to other parts with the same number listed online and the size and shape looks the same.

Does anyone know if this is a problem with the Meyle part or if the updated design (regardless of manufacturer) just doesn't fit in a 2003 330xi? Has anyone else had this problem with the Meyle part?

I saw that Pelican Parts lists part #64-11-6-920-365-M6 for a 2003 330xi - does anyone know if this is the newer design with 39 heat fins or the older design with 12 heat fins? Would this part number fit better?
I installed the Pelican Parts FSR several weeks ago...at first I tried to insert it incorrectly and had to rotate 90 degrees....basically an installer error not a part error.

Have you measured the old and new FSR to determine if in fact it is a different size? That's the first thing you should do. Please post your findings!!!
Arby1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:38 AM   #225
Anoninla

Meyle FSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby1028 View Post
I installed the Pelican Parts FSR several weeks ago...at first I tried to insert it incorrectly and had to rotate 90 degrees....basically an installer error not a part error.

Have you measured the old and new FSR to determine if in fact it is a different size? That's the first thing you should do. Please post your findings!!!
Here are pics of the original FSR in my 2003 330xi and the replacement part #64-11-6-923-204 that does not fit correctly.

The parts:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/album.p...pictureid=4221

The FSR holder with FSR removed already:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/album.p...pictureid=4222

The entire area (FSR removed):
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/album.p...pictureid=4223

I went by the BMW dealer this morning and compared my Meyle part to the Valeo part the dealership sells and they look identical. So it appears to be a problem with how the updated part fits (regardless of manufacturer) - it seems to be larger by a couple of millimeters which prevents it from sliding in so it can clip in place.

Last edited by Anoninla; 04-06-2009 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Image links were not working
Old 04-06-2009, 03:15 PM   #226
Arby1028

My Ride: 2002 330i Sedan
Quote:
Here are pics of the original FSR in my 2003 330xi and the replacement part #64-11-6-923-204 that does not fit correctly.

The parts:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/album.p...pictureid=4221

The FSR holder with FSR removed already:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/album.p...pictureid=4222

The entire area (FSR removed):
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/album.p...pictureid=4223

I went by the BMW dealer this morning and compared my Meyle part to the Valeo part the dealership sells and they look identical. So it appears to be a problem with how the updated part fits (regardless of manufacturer) - it seems to be larger by a couple of millimeters which prevents it from sliding in so it can clip in place.
If you can determine what piece of the FSR is a little too large could you possibly use a Dremel Tool or sandpaper to get it to fit?
Arby1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:21 PM   #227
easyIsle

My Ride: 02 330i
it looks like the new FSR's depth is the only issue? If those heat sinks are solid metal (they should be), it will be easy grind off/cut/ shorten whichever ones are hitting the casing. The bigger it is, the better, of course

ah nevermind. I thought the larger of the two was the new one. The issue is definitely on the shell of the new FSR somewhere.....
easyIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:40 AM   #228
lulubboy

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325Ci
so what place are most people buying this FSR now? and whats the going rate + shipping. I'm not sure if my issue is the same but at times when i shut off my car... i can hear the blower still going and then finally shutting off..
lulubboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:55 PM   #229
Anoninla

Exclamation Comparison of three Final Stage Resistors

Ok, I solved my problem of the Final Stage Resistor not fitting correctly in a 2003 BMW 330xi. I originally ordered BMW Part #64-11-6-923-204 which I was told was the new part number. Many websites listed this part as fitting the e46 2001-2005 330xi. I even walked into the BMW dealer and the parts department told me that part 204 was the newest part and had replaced the other FSR part numbers. However, this is totally incorrect!

Based on incorrect info, I ordered and tried to install part 204, but it would not fit properly into the FSR holder and would not clip into place. I took Part 204 (made by Meyle) into the BMW dealer and compared it to the Valeo Part they sell and they were identical (so it was NOT a problem based on the manufacturer of the part). Again, the BMW dealer said it was the correct part number. After talking on the phone to several independent parts reps and calling a different BMW dealer's parts department, I found out that BMW Part #64-11-6-920-365 is the correct part number and it was NOT replaced by part 204 for the model of my car. So then I ordered part 365 and it fits perfectly!

I am not sure why there is so much confusion about the part number by both parts suppliers and BMW dealers, but save yourself a headache and confirm the correct part number (even check with more than one BMW dealer).

Here are a few pictures of the three FSRs for comparison:

This shows the three FSRs side-by-side: Original Behr FSR (left), new BMW Part #64-11-6-920-365 by Behr (middle), and new BMW Part #64-11-6-923-204 by Meyle (right).
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/album.p...pictureid=4306

Here is a top view. Notice that the middle part (the correct part) does not have the semi-circle shape on the side that the other two have.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/album.p...pictureid=4307

However, it fits perfectly despite appearing that it will not (since the FSR holder has a semi-circle tab and the old part had a semi-circle indention too). Here is a pic of the holder:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/album.p...pictureid=4311

Here is a side view of the back - note the length of the fins to dissipate heat:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/album.p...pictureid=4308

Here is a bottom view of the heat fins. Note that the old Behr FSR had 12 heat fins (left), BMW Part 365 by Behr has 58 heat fins (middle), and BMW Part 204 by Meyle has 39 heat fins (right).
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/album.p...pictureid=4309

Finally, here is a pic of Part 365 installed:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/album.p...pictureid=4310

Sorry, I know that is a lot of detail, but I figured someone else might benefit from all the trouble I went through and be interested in the pics.

Last edited by Anoninla; 04-12-2009 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:00 AM   #230
aphhpa

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to aphhpa
My Fan stays on at ALL times, even when the car is OFF somehow. i have to take the fuse out for my blower so it doesnt kill my battery.. could this still be the final stage resistor? Seems weird that a faulty one could make it stay on even when the car is off??
aphhpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:53 AM   #231
easyIsle

My Ride: 02 330i
yes, its the FSR. It can short out causing the fan to stay on. It can also fail open which would stop the fan from working in certain positions.

Every morning my fan "wobbles" (for lack of a better word) between a few different fan strengths. Sounds kinda funny in the morning ........ I will be replacing mine as well when I get a free moment
easyIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:23 PM   #232
Dre325

My Ride: 2001 325i
Anoninla, thank you VERY much for this very informative post. I just finished reading through this entire thread and after all of that, I was completely confused as to which part number to order for my 2001 325i. I will be ordering the 64-11-6-920-365.

Mine has failed twice on my car now. Originally this was replaced under warranty in 2002. POS. Now I have to do it myself.

Quote:
Ok, I solved my problem of the Final Stage Resistor not fitting correctly in a 2003 BMW 330xi. I originally ordered BMW Part #64-11-6-923-204 which I was told was the new part number. Many websites listed this part as fitting the e46 2001-2005 330xi. I even walked into the BMW dealer and the parts department told me that part 204 was the newest part and had replaced the other FSR part numbers. However, this is totally incorrect!

Based on incorrect info, I ordered and tried to install part 204, but it would not fit properly into the FSR holder and would not clip into place. I took Part 204 (made by Meyle) into the BMW dealer and compared it to the Valeo Part they sell and they were identical (so it was NOT a problem based on the manufacturer of the part). Again, the BMW dealer said it was the correct part number. After talking on the phone to several independent parts reps and calling a different BMW dealer's parts department, I found out that BMW Part #64-11-6-920-365 is the correct part number and it was NOT replaced by part 204 for the model of my car. So then I ordered part 365 and it fits perfectly!

I am not sure why there is so much confusion about the part number by both parts suppliers and BMW dealers, but save yourself a headache and confirm the correct part number (even check with more than one BMW dealer).

Here are a few pictures of the three FSRs for comparison:

This shows the three FSRs side-by-side: Original Behr FSR (left), new BMW Part #64-11-6-920-365 by Behr (middle), and new BMW Part #64-11-6-923-204 by Meyle (right).
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/album.p...pictureid=4306

Here is a top view. Notice that the middle part (the correct part) does not have the semi-circle shape on the side that the other two have.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/album.p...pictureid=4307

However, it fits perfectly despite appearing that it will not (since the FSR holder has a semi-circle tab and the old part had a semi-circle indention too). Here is a pic of the holder:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/album.p...pictureid=4311

Here is a side view of the back - note the length of the fins to dissipate heat:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/album.p...pictureid=4308

Here is a bottom view of the heat fins. Note that the old Behr FSR had 12 heat fins (left), BMW Part 365 by Behr has 58 heat fins (middle), and BMW Part 204 by Meyle has 39 heat fins (right).
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/album.p...pictureid=4309

Finally, here is a pic of Part 365 installed:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/album.p...pictureid=4310

Sorry, I know that is a lot of detail, but I figured someone else might benefit from all the trouble I went through and be interested in the pics.
Dre325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:31 PM   #233
josephmech

My Ride: 2001 325i sedan 5m
I just did the replacement 4.30.2009 the part came from pelican very quickly for 58 plus shipping and handling. The picture walk through was great thank u very much. my car is 2001 325i. I cant say how much i appreciate this website. I have worked on other cars toyota corvette etc and the german car bmw is a joy to work on all the parts and engineering is done so well. I did it in 1.5 hours. I took my time and made sure to put gum(small amount on torx tip and magnatized tip screw driver. also i didnt know the glove box was attached with phillips. now my ac fan is working yeah. in Tucson AZ it is very important. Plus starting new job monday with AC fixed. Have a good one fixing this DIY is real satisfiying.
Joe
josephmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:39 PM   #234
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyIsle View Post
yes, its the FSR. It can short out causing the fan to stay on. It can also fail open which would stop the fan from working in certain positions.

Every morning my fan "wobbles" (for lack of a better word) between a few different fan strengths. Sounds kinda funny in the morning ........ I will be replacing mine as well when I get a free moment
wow i thought this was normal lol

is this good preventative maintanance to replace this thing? or can i wait a while -

i have about 56k miles

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:17 PM   #235
John in VA

My Ride: '00 Farngrün 328i
Mine were replaced at 23K and 52K, when they went bad - both times in the summer.
'86 535i
'85 535i
'85 325e - RIP
'74 2002tii
John in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:16 PM   #236
325iJetblack

My Ride: Jetblack325i
Did mine today. 325i 2002. Removed the glove box. Then the piece of plastic behind it and there is no screw to hold this piece. Took two hours. The part was bought from ebay for $47 with $10 shipping.
325iJetblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:43 AM   #237
BMWnAZ

My Ride: 2002 325I
Thanks to the origionator of this DIY and to all that added any information. I replaced FSR today in the 101 degree Arizona heat. Thank goodness, with all of you guys help, I have air again. My JetBlack 325I is cool again. Very wonderful write-up.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:09 PM   #238
ao3737

My Ride: 325I
Blower Motor Resistor

Symptons;

Fan speed pulsating.
Fan seemed to stop working but next day starting working.http://forum.E46Fanatics.com/images/...s/banghead.gif

Trouble:
Blower Motor Resistorhttp://forum.E46Fanatics.com/images/smilies/facepalmsmiley.gif

Fix:
Replaced Blower Resistor

Thanks to everyone at E46Fanatics.http://forum.E46Fanatics.com/images/.../worshippy.gif
ao3737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:28 PM   #239
strick3287

My Ride: 2001 325i (wife)
Thanks for the info. Ordered the FSR from www.bimmerpartsweb.com for $60.80. free shipping when over $65.00. Dropped the dash and the under dash trim piece, removed two torx screws and FSR and had dash going back together in less than an hour. Good info here, Thanks.
strick3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:21 PM   #240
Rpaulino1

My Ride: 2002 325i
This was a huge pain in the ass, the working room that you have sucks, and my torx 20 was about 3'' so i wasn't able to put back the top screw of the resistor but I messed around with the A/C and all was good, turned off the car and the fan shut off right away and it didn't come back on.. Thanks for all the info if it wasn't for this I would of been on my 3rd battery in 2 months
Rpaulino1 is offline   Reply With Quote