E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-20-2005, 10:24 PM   #21
krod328Ci

My Ride: 00 Steel Grey 328Ci
Very Cool

Glad it helped everyone.. My first DIY post.
krod328Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 10:46 PM   #22
18jake18

My Ride: '01 White 325i
You just saved my cars life. I was convinced the ac was gone and it would be some 2000 dollar fix. If that was the case she was gonna get shipped out to the ol BMW parking lot in the sky. I love her but shes gotta do her part too.

If she could talk Im sure she would say thank you.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:40 AM   #23
elwot

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Send a message via Yahoo to elwot
Thanks for the great DIY! My FSR just went out last week and I just picked up the new one from the dealship yesterday. Cost $68.54 - that was with a CCA discount. Otherwise it was gonna be something like 100+. Happy to say that the CCA membership paid for itself....

GenV DDE's, UUC SSK, M3 Black Trim, Stongard, Euro Clears
elwot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 10:58 AM   #24
323power

My Ride: '11 335i
My fan wouldn't "fireup" sometimes when it's at its middle speeds, but if i crank the fan speed up, it'll kick on all of a sudden, but if i lower it back down, it's a crapshoot if the fan will keep spinning or not. It makes a weried nose like its trying to start up, but it can't. Do i need to replace the FSR?

323power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 06:51 PM   #25
elwot

Sounds like the FSR to me.

In my situation, the fan speed works ok initially, then it suddenly goes to the highest setting (maximum blast) and there is nothing you can do to turn it down (aside from turning it off completely). Then, just as suddenly as it jumped to max speed, it then goes back to the initial speed I had it set on. It sporadically cycles between the set speed and the max speed for the rest of the drive. It can be really annoying when it comes on full blast and your in the middle of a call.

I'm planning on swapping out the defective resistor with the new one tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 07-09-2005, 12:38 PM   #26
elwot

OK, swap was a success. A real pain in the arse, but a success. It's really tucked up back and to the left of the glove box, which forces you into some pretty uncomfortable positions. Some comments:

1) There were no screws holding in my old FSR, just a plastic clip (I think someone else also mentioned this before). But the clip seems to hold it in just fine, so I just clipped the new one in as well.
2) I didn't unattach the stepper motor in front of the FSR, just let it hang there by its arm (wasn't sure how to disconnect it without breaking it). But after finishing, I don't see why you would need to disconnect it anyway.

Biggest inconvenience was reattaching the glove box door (could really have used a third hand - one to press against to door, one to hold a flashlight, and one to turn the screws).

BTW, he's a pic of the old and new. Notice the cooling fin redesign - 12 to 50, and its much smaller then the old one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3061ss.jpg
Views:	2083
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	134247   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 178ss.jpg
Views:	2148
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	134248  

Old 07-24-2005, 05:59 PM   #27
BmwBilal

My Ride: 2000 328ci
Send a message via AIM to BmwBilal
Just finished replacing my Final Stage Resistor

Well i got my new final stage resistor from the dealer for about $100 because I didn't want to wait. I'm not really good with working on cars but I wanted to replace it myself. This DIY here with the pictures is great if you follow it carefully. Thank you very much for your DIY and your pictures!!! My air conditioning works perfectly now!!! [/SIZE]
BmwBilal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 05:06 AM   #28
aa240sx

My Ride: E39 525i E36 M3
Send a message via AIM to aa240sx
final stage resistor - success!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwBilal
Well i got my new final stage resistor from the dealer for about $100 because I didn't want to wait. I'm not really good with working on cars but I wanted to replace it myself. This DIY here with the pictures is great if you follow it carefully. Thank you very much for your DIY and your pictures!!! My air conditioning works perfectly now!!! [/SIZE]
Just wanted to say it worked for me too! I have a 2000 323I and while it was painful to get in, the pics and DIY was great. thanks a bunch! I can only say that will so many of us having this issue, I really think BMW should step up and consider this a recall item. Anyway, for those of you that need to do this job? My advice:

1 - take the ac tubing off first, it'll make things go a lot smoother
2 - be patient with the FSR, it's being held with a clip only so work it out gently.

thanks
aa240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 02:00 PM   #29
TheRiddle
Sofa-king-what

My Ride: 2.8-M52TU'ed Vert
just finished my DIY..

and I must admit that on a scale of diffuculty from 1 to 10 I rate this 7, not for what you've to do but for the position you must keep...

head into the footwell- feet on the headrest....

anyway... many thanks to those guys that add info to this DIY
Old 08-14-2005, 11:54 AM   #30
ccarrera

My Ride: '01 325Ci Coupe
It took me about 45 minutes all together to replace it. I ordered it from Fields BMW in Olando. For my '01 325Ci it was $86 + tax, which included the BMWCCA discount. I just went to the dealer and told them I needed a Final Stage Resistor and I was on the road.

The DIY is fairly good. My only extra advice is that you need a long T20 screwdriver in order to get to the top screw. I got one (6" long) at Sears for 7 bucks.

My AC is blowing again!! Yeahh!!!
ccarrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 12:37 PM   #31
Jeff323

My Ride: 81' & 00' 323's
My fan is making a whistling noise on the lower speeds and it's really pissing me off. The HVAC system isn't doing anything else weird though. Someone told me though that the whistle could be the start of the FSR going? That seems a little odd to me, but I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with this? I'd really like to get this fixed.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:15 PM   #32
Brad330Ci

My Ride: '01 330Ci Cosmos Blk
I just completed my FSR replacement this weekend. I got the part for 107 with BMWCCA discount from Crevier. I removed the glove box in 2 parts (tray and the surround). It seemed easier to get back together when I finished.

If you get in there and remove the 2 screwes, the vaccuum device in front of the FSR kinda swings away, then you have to push a clip at the top of the resistor housing to free it and slit it out (kinda forcefully too). After connecting the new resistor and slipping it back in, everything goes back in with little fuss.

My job took maybe 2 hours since I did not have all my tools available and I was unable to leave the door open for easier access with more light.

I have a sore shoulder but can say it is completely fixed.
Brad330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 08:20 AM   #33
00zr2guy

My Ride: e46 328 (wifes car)
Send a message via AIM to 00zr2guy
thanks for the instructions krod! it took me about 25 minutes to R/R the final stage on my wifes 00 328i... the directions are spot on!
00zr2guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 12:09 AM   #34
myxr4

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP
Great pictures and instructions made this job easy. Nice to have my AC back again.
I was living with the crazy speeds for months, until it quit 99% of the time.
Thanks again for all of the help.
myxr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 04:57 PM   #35
davidwarren
Halfway to 2L

My Ride: 2010 335i
My AC just started acting up like the OP, with the variable fan speed regardless of the setting, but mine will not turn off, even when I turn the car off! I pulled the two blower fuses to get it off. I am going to get a new FSR Tuesday, but could it be anything else? Would a ac problem show up on a OBCDII scan?

You down with UCC? Ya you know me!
sowing the seeds of jiggery pokery
davidwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 09:08 AM   #36
krod328Ci

My Ride: 00 Steel Grey 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwarren
My AC just started acting up like the OP, with the variable fan speed regardless of the setting, but mine will not turn off, even when I turn the car off! I pulled the two blower fuses to get it off. I am going to get a new FSR Tuesday, but could it be anything else? Would a ac problem show up on a OBCDII scan?
Same exact problem I had. It was draining my battery. I replaced the battery before I realized it was the FSR. Good luck.

krod328Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 12:56 PM   #37
davidwarren
Halfway to 2L

thanks for the confirmation, I am getting a new FSR after class
Quote:
Originally Posted by krod328Ci
Same exact problem I had. It was draining my battery. I replaced the battery before I realized it was the FSR. Good luck.

Old 09-06-2005, 07:57 PM   #38
davidwarren
Halfway to 2L

FSR replaced and everything is working again! Thanks for the DIY
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwarren
thanks for the confirmation, I am getting a new FSR after class

Old 09-30-2005, 07:10 PM   #39
ajbmw311

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Mad props ... write-up was very useful.

ajbmw311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 03:13 AM   #40
bmwboy

My Ride: A horse
Send a message via ICQ to bmwboy Send a message via AIM to bmwboy
ok my turn next, i will do it over the next week or so when i can get some time, i am going to hit up BMW head office about a recall, i am sick of the problems i have had with my car.
Rear Sub Frame went. (Free after long negoatiation, but off the road for 2 months over summer )
Door seals went (Free after making a scene)
fuel pump died ( got stuck had to wait for 4 hours then charged $400 for it to be fixed)
Lower Controll Arms (needed replacing due to poor OEM ones wearing out) about, $600 i think.
Now this, wow this car is a bag of laughs.
bmwboy is offline   Reply With Quote