E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-22-2006, 06:22 PM   #41
Marknoir

My Ride: Subway
Fsr

Quote:
Originally Posted by krod328Ci
Sounds like the infamous final stage resistor. I just replaced mine this weekend. Climate control was "out" of control. Cost me about $60 delivered from Pacific BMW. Works like a champ now! Saved me about $300 from the stealer!
I wouldn't call the install simple, mainly because there is very little space to work with (passenger console side). You will need to remove the glove box and loosen another gizmo to gain access to the resistor. Oh, there is also an air duct in front of everything! Whole thing took me a couple hours because I managed to replace it by working around the air duct (instead of removing). I took some pics if you are interested.
Mr Krod, you can not even imagine how helpful your DIY post is. Damned thing just went on my '01 M3, which I just bought 2 days ago. No warranty of course. Thanks again, now I know what to do.
Marknoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:56 PM   #42
Marknoir

Blower motor resistor (final stage)

To all who are interested: these things are available from

http://www.carpartsteam.com/BM_M3_Cl...istor_019.html

(supposedly free shipping) I just ordered one. let's see what happens.

Cheers
Old 03-25-2006, 02:07 PM   #43
nEVERCLEAR

My Ride: 323
I just changed mine and was confused on the location. For those doing this themselves look down by the carpet as far forward on the pass. side as possible; once the glove box and kickplate with the floor light is removed. It is not up towards the radio as I thought it was from the pictures. I removed my radio and removed the heater vent and it was not really becessary. The hearter vent reinstalled easier then it was removed. I thought I was screwed when I took it out, but it went in easy. On my car there is a small actuator that is attached to a metal rod that looks like it activated the flap for the lower heat vents. This needed to be removed by 2 T20 Torx screws then I could get at the actual FSR.

All in all 1 hour;s time and a scraped wrist

Some people dream of speed-others create a damn jet powered shopping cart.
Curious about VoIP and Vonage click here
nEVERCLEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 12:52 PM   #44
Marknoir

Savior!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krod328Ci
Sounds like the infamous final stage resistor. I just replaced mine this weekend. Climate control was "out" of control. Cost me about $60 delivered from Pacific BMW. Works like a champ now! Saved me about $300 from the stealer!
I wouldn't call the install simple, mainly because there is very little space to work with (passenger console side). You will need to remove the glove box and loosen another gizmo to gain access to the resistor. Oh, there is also an air duct in front of everything! Whole thing took me a couple hours because I managed to replace it by working around the air duct (instead of removing). I took some pics if you are interested.
Thanks to Mr. Krod I am reporting another American Success story - fan is fixed as described. $62 for resitor block, 1 hr of time and a sprained neck - and everything works like new.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Marknoir; 03-28-2006 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:18 PM   #45
kdeyoung

My Ride: 2001 325i
help

I have both screw holding the resistor in but can not get the resistor OUT!!

THE component in front is blocking it!!

PLEASE HELP!
kdeyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 08:29 PM   #46
kdeyoung

My Ride: 2001 325i
Disregard

Got it out...the old resistor is a ***** to get out....be prepared wiht needlenose and a flathead screwdriver for the clip that holds it in place.

Air is working again\!!! a must have going into the Arizona summer!!

Thanks for the DIY.
kdeyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 08:53 PM   #47
nEVERCLEAR

My Ride: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeyoung
I have both screw holding the resistor in but can not get the resistor OUT!!

THE component in front is blocking it!!

PLEASE HELP!
There are 4 screws to remove. 2 for the thing in frnt and 2 for the resistor.

Both T-20's I believe

Some people dream of speed-others create a damn jet powered shopping cart.
Curious about VoIP and Vonage click here
nEVERCLEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 01:49 PM   #48
Flux28

My Ride: 01 Laguna Seca M3
Just to inform anyone who will be needing the FSR... Pacific BMW says they no longer will be selling parts online (except for accessories)... So I ended up having to buy it from my local BMW dealership for 92.00 +tax.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:18 PM   #49
munya

My Ride: 2012 Legacy GT
Send a message via AIM to munya
Marknoir,

Was this an OEM BMW part from http://www.carpartsteam.com ?

It looks like I'm going to have to but this too.

Josh
munya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:29 PM   #50
coreytrv

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to coreytrv
Nice DIY, I just replaced the FSR, pain in the ass, but its done.

I think that metal tube you didn't know the name of is the heat controller, there is a sylenoid below it that actuates a door, thats what controls the temp, just a heads up.

Corey
Old 04-22-2006, 07:57 PM   #51
tuckster

My Ride: 2000 323i
This was a great thread. The pictures were absolutely perfect (at least for me). They look exactly like what I saw. I changed my unit out and now the HVAC works fine. Thanks again for saving me a ton of bucks.
tuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 07:59 PM   #52
tuckster

My Ride: 2000 323i
BTW: I bought my from Pacific BMW just last week and they are still taking orders for the parts via their website. They do charge 15 bucks for shipping/handling though. But I guess it was worth it for me because I bought a micro filter, oil, and air filter too and it all came to 17 bucks shipping/handling.
tuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 04:32 PM   #53
bmwquickspeed

My Ride: 01 325
Manuel knobs/Auto Climate Control

I see many threads on the Final Stage Resistor but never any comments on weather or not its auto or manuel climate control. My car has the knobs and I would like to know if both cars have the Final Stage Resistor or is it only the cars with the Auto Climate Control.

Thanks
bmwquickspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:37 AM   #54
Hrvat

My Ride: 02 Imola Red M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwquickspeed
I see many threads on the Final Stage Resistor but never any comments on weather or not its auto or manuel climate control. My car has the knobs and I would like to know if both cars have the Final Stage Resistor or is it only the cars with the Auto Climate Control.

Thanks
I believe it's only for cars with AutoClimate control

If you look here
https://www.autohausaz.com/search/pr...stor/Regulator

you can see they say it's only for autoclimate
Hrvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 09:10 AM   #55
mike01ci

My Ride: 2003 M5
Fixed it for me, thanks.
mike01ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 03:13 PM   #56
ajlman

My Ride: 323Ci
That thing blocking the FSR is the Air Distribution Motor...Thanks for the pics!
Just finished not hard repar just a pain in the A$$!
ajlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:06 AM   #57
happypanda

My Ride: E46 318
The job was a real pain in the neck....literally! The FSR now replaced. Cost 58GBP from the stealers in the UK. The Auto Climate Control now working as it should. Just in time for the UK hot weather. Many thanks to all of you. Especially to "krod328Ci" for providing pics and instruction.

Last edited by happypanda; 07-06-2006 at 06:10 AM.
happypanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 01:50 PM   #58
thesixsins

My Ride: 2004 IMOLA 330i ZHP
What is the part number for the Final Stage Resistor (FSR)? I read through the posts but I must have missed it...

anyone?

Here is what I've got...
2001 325ci Auto Climate control, that goes sparatic and wild whenever it wants...

thanks!
Old 07-11-2006, 02:53 PM   #59
Karl
Engineer

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Thanks for your wonderful writeup and pictures. For some reason I couldn't find this procedure in the TIS, so this thread was a lifesaver.

For those interested, the part number for the Final Stage Unit is 64 11 6 920 365, the OEM unit is made by Behr. You can get a non-BMW-branded version of the exact same unit from PelicanParts.com for $53.00 plus shipping.

Also, for what it's worth, my car did not have any screws holding the FSR in place. 2001 330xi, January 2001 build.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:35 PM   #60
thesixsins

My Ride: 2004 IMOLA 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marknoir
To all who are interested: these things are available from

http://www.carpartsteam.com/BM_M3_Cl...istor_019.html

(supposedly free shipping) I just ordered one. let's see what happens.

Cheers

Does anyone know if the parts from this web site are OEM?