E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > Sponsor Press Releases & New Product Announcements

Sponsor Press Releases & New Product Announcements
Get the latest news and announcements from the site sponsors! To ask a question please use the 'Ask a Sponsor' forum.
Click here to view all the site sponsors and see what they are offering!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2005, 10:03 PM   #41
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presns323i
hahah. watch out for the FULL CF e46 coming soon guys...
Its already been done. Some guy over at M3forum...
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 10:01 AM   #42
JewManji

My Ride: a car
I wonder how many sheets I would need to cover my entire roof just like the csl. That would be pimp.
JewManji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 10:13 AM   #43
Alan L.
TWC Alumni

My Ride: AW M-Sport
I've seen the one selling on ebay before. They are stiff sheets. I don't understand how you could wrap anything with them unless its flat

How flexable are these? Not just bending them but being able to wrap something that has curves?

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R |||More Photos of my car here|||
Alan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 10:56 AM   #44
Seth_Horwitz

My Ride: 330ci, 911 Turbo X50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L.
How flexable are these? Not just bending them but being able to wrap something that has curves?

Carbon Fiber by definition is a carbon/cloth weave that is hardened with an epoxy and usually pollished to make it look nice. I wasn't aware that you could bend it at all once the epoxy had cured. It's like calling something a "bendy" fiberglass. Can this be done with decent results or will the strength of the carbon pull the 3M backing right off, or is the epoxy so thin that it will peel and fall apart over time. I'm not trying to be a hater, but I'm just curious as to how something known for it's incredible stiffness and rigidity can be flexible enough to wrap around anything. (They make formula 1 suspension rods out of carbon, and those aren't bending one bit!)
Seth_Horwitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 11:07 AM   #45
JCz04Bimmer

My Ride: 2004 330Ci & 06 Z4MC
Send a message via AIM to JCz04Bimmer
I think its a completely different concept here. Instead of using an epoxy or resin, I think there is a substance that is more like a laminate being used. Imagine taking a fabric and laminating it in flexible plastic. Same idea, I think. The idea with these products is that its not being used for structural applications which WOULD require the hardening agents and the CF to be rigid. Instead, this is for cosmetic applications only which do not really require CF to be rigid. In reality, it makes ALOT of sense. Do you really need your interior trim to be impossibly strong? As strong as an F1 racer? No! You just want it to look cool and these sheets seem to accomplish that.

Again, alot is just speculation. So BimmerBlvd, feel free to confirm.

JCz04Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 11:28 AM   #46
Hung@Fiber-D
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Car with Silver CF
Quote:
I've seen the one selling on ebay before. They are stiff sheets. I don't understand how you could wrap anything with them unless its flat

Its hard to wrap stuff that have alot of 3Ds bent.... since the sheets are flat.. and made to do 2D bents only.

I experienced this myself. Good for flat surface if your looking for an alternative for quick CF.
Hung@Fiber-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 12:01 PM   #47
bimmerblvd
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaio76109
I doubt that its flexible enough to go around some of the corners/bends on the trim.
I also doubt that the pieces with be big enough to cover some of the pieces.

"otherside" only used 1 sheet to cover both his headlight trim with no problems. These sheets are really flexible. If you have any questiosn you can pm him
bimmerblvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 12:03 PM   #48
bimmerblvd
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewManji
I wonder how many sheets I would need to cover my entire roof just like the csl. That would be pimp.
It wouldn't look right to cover your entire roof because you will see the lines where the cf sheets cut off due to the size. I'm in the process of getting the sheets large enough to cover the roof.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:06 PM   #49
bimmerblvd
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:

you can easily wrap anything that curves, ask "otherside" if you don't believe me.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:10 PM   #50
bimmerblvd
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCz04Bimmer
I think its a completely different concept here. Instead of using an epoxy or resin, I think there is a substance that is more like a laminate being used. Imagine taking a fabric and laminating it in flexible plastic. Same idea, I think. The idea with these products is that its not being used for structural applications which WOULD require the hardening agents and the CF to be rigid. Instead, this is for cosmetic applications only which do not really require CF to be rigid. In reality, it makes ALOT of sense. Do you really need your interior trim to be impossibly strong? As strong as an F1 racer? No! You just want it to look cool and these sheets seem to accomplish that.

Again, alot is just speculation. So BimmerBlvd, feel free to confirm.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:05 PM   #51
budman
-not a mod-

My Ride: is your mom
Send a message via AIM to budman Send a message via Yahoo to budman
I want a sheet for the roof.. that would be cool..
Old 05-06-2005, 03:41 PM   #52
rayxi

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Quote:

Just do a test wrap with construction paper. If you can do it without wrinkles or holes then it should work. Save the paper to use as the template for cutting out the CF sheet.
rayxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 03:45 PM   #53
tommiexboi

My Ride: 328i > 335i > M3 cab
Send a message via AIM to tommiexboi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayxi
Just do a test wrap with construction paper. If you can do it without wrinkles or holes then it should work. Save the paper to use as the template for cutting out the CF sheet.

smart man

[SOLD] "The OG M Parallel Master" =) ------------------------- [New] 2008 E90 335i "White Monster"

New Pictures 5/22
Window Regulator Write-up (DIY)
tommiexboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 04:22 PM   #54
rayxi

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommiexboi
smart man
I can't take credit for this idea. I saw the technique used on TV for custom body work.
rayxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 03:03 PM   #55
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
im curious to see how this works -
bump for a cheapo way to get carbon fiber-which-is-already-played-out

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 10:50 PM   #56
///OSS

My Ride: "The.. 325CI"
Send a message via AIM to ///OSS Send a message via MSN to ///OSS
Its not an easy job, but with paitience you can do it.... I used a sheet of velum, traced the headlight trim, theres an area where obviously you would have to cut and make a seam, I carefuly used an exacto knife to cut and do it all, and it came out perfect....everybody thats seen it for real, has complimented it.... it was worth it, and you cant beat it for the price... it definitely not a job for everyone, but those who embark on it and take their time on each one will have a good chance of it coming out tight.... one sheet is enough for like 3 tries

good luck

///OSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 10:53 PM   #57
S2Krazy
A Flammable Plumber

My Ride: ****ED UP CL
Send a message via AIM to S2Krazy Send a message via MSN to S2Krazy
i`m sure if u add a litle heat to it , it would make it a lot easier to work with
S2Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 09:46 AM   #58
russ330
Mod Squad

My Ride: Motorsport III
Send a message via AIM to russ330
Few more questions.

1.) Will there be sheets with different thicknesses available? I'd think that if there were thinner sheets it'd be even easier to work with.

2.) Can you post a pic of two different sheets side by side? I'd like to see how closely you can get the seams lined up between the different sheets.

3.) ETA on larger sheets? Perhaps sheets with a more rectangular shape?

Thanks.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:48 PM   #59
russ330
Mod Squad

My Ride: Motorsport III
Send a message via AIM to russ330
Old 05-09-2005, 08:45 PM   #60
bimmerblvd
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330
Few more questions.

1.) Will there be sheets with different thicknesses available? I'd think that if there were thinner sheets it'd be even easier to work with.

2.) Can you post a pic of two different sheets side by side? I'd like to see how closely you can get the seams lined up between the different sheets.

3.) ETA on larger sheets? Perhaps sheets with a more rectangular shape?

Thanks.
1. Only 1 thickness currently available
2. sorry no pics at the moment of the sheets side by site
3. no larger sheets at the moment