E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > Polls & Surveys - Please Participate!

Polls & Surveys - Please Participate!
This forum contains "official" polls and surveys

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-05-2008, 12:32 PM   #541
amitv85
ROI-ndian

My Ride: is oOoOoUT
Send a message via AIM to amitv85
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29 View Post
Yeah sure buddy, maybe some of them made $500k+ a year (probably one of the reasons we are in this mess cuz your boys were pushing people into those crap option-arm loans to make that $$$) in the good old days. They would be lucky to be making $50k a year with the current carnage in the real estate market. Easy come, easy go...

Haha, I never said otherwise. Some of my friends left the business, others got jobs at established banks and some started their own brokerages.

Those who are seasoned are still surviving but def nowhere near what it use to be.

My point is that its not unheard of to see people in their 20s hittin 6 figures from sales positions or starting their own business. Then throw in I-bankers (yes theres some serious layoffs on the horizon + they work their asses off) and other professionals that start clearing 6 figures within 2-3 years of starting not including bonuses.

Me personally, I'm all about self-employment. I'm a real estate agent, I'll have my NYC General Contractor license by the end of the month and I am working with a contractor now locating distressed properties to flip. Besides that, I'm partnered up on a retail business. Currently applying for NYU masters program in real estate, to better myself and move it up on the food chain. It has definitely helped that I've been surrounded by entrepreneurs my entire life, and have a great mentor.

All that doesnt matter anyway bc I see plenty of ppl piss their money away...its all about saving $ and investments...and enjoying life while you're at it!

That being said....bs or not - this is a car forum doesnt really matter

Dave Moss: What's your name?
Blake: F**k you. That's my name.
Blake: You know why, mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight, I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. *That's* my name
amitv85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:05 PM   #542
mike86325

My Ride: ///M3
20.. $8/hr.

pitiful, but im a college student so what can you do

2003.5 Tiag SMG ///M3
FOR SALE:
2 Michelin PS2 275/30/19: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=665386
Pre-face Sedan Tails, Corners, Side markers: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=708875
mike86325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:06 PM   #543
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
not enough and too old
Snik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:52 PM   #544
USCTrojanMan29

My Ride: Beauty & The Beater
Send a message via AIM to USCTrojanMan29 Send a message via Yahoo to USCTrojanMan29
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitv85 View Post
Haha, I never said otherwise. Some of my friends left the business, others got jobs at established banks and some started their own brokerages.

Those who are seasoned are still surviving but def nowhere near what it use to be.

My point is that its not unheard of to see people in their 20s hittin 6 figures from sales positions or starting their own business. Then throw in I-bankers (yes theres some serious layoffs on the horizon + they work their asses off) and other professionals that start clearing 6 figures within 2-3 years of starting not including bonuses.

Me personally, I'm all about self-employment. I'm a real estate agent, I'll have my NYC General Contractor license by the end of the month and I am working with a contractor now locating distressed properties to flip. Besides that, I'm partnered up on a retail business. Currently applying for NYU masters program in real estate, to better myself and move it up on the food chain. It has definitely helped that I've been surrounded by entrepreneurs my entire life, and have a great mentor.

All that doesnt matter anyway bc I see plenty of ppl piss their money away...its all about saving $ and investments...and enjoying life while you're at it!

That being said....bs or not - this is a car forum doesnt really matter
You and the people that you know are expections to the rule. For every 100 people that open their own business, I'd bet that 90 or so either fail or have marginal success. I do agree with that almost no one who works for a larger corporation will not make a lot of money.
USCTrojanMan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:40 PM   #545
OCswedishM3

My Ride: E63 AMG
Im 26 and i make 1xx,xxx a year,but i think this thread is pretty lame. Who really cares as long as you are happy and content in your life thats what matters. Seems like this is an e-cock match... I would rather make 70k a year and have a loving family, than make bank and be an arrogant piece of shit. Money is nice but what is it really if you die the next day....and unfortunately i have seen it happen.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:33 AM   #546
USCTrojanMan29

My Ride: Beauty & The Beater
Send a message via AIM to USCTrojanMan29 Send a message via Yahoo to USCTrojanMan29
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCswedishM3 View Post
Im 26 and i make 1xx,xxx a year,but i think this thread is pretty lame. Who really cares as long as you are happy and content in your life thats what matters. Seems like this is an e-cock match... I would rather make 70k a year and have a loving family, than make bank and be an arrogant piece of shit. Money is nice but what is it really if you die the next day....and unfortunately i have seen it happen.
Money doesn't buy you happiness, although it does make life easier. That being said, I'm very fortunately to be healthy and doing what I enjoy for a living with a good company making decent money. If someone would offer to pay me double or triple what I make know doing something I didn't like, I'd pass on it! I'll probably never make millions of dollars, but that's ok because that is not the be all and end all for me.
USCTrojanMan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:33 AM   #547
OCswedishM3

My Ride: E63 AMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29 View Post
Money doesn't buy you happiness, although it does make life easier. That being said, I'm very fortunately to be healthy and doing what I enjoy for a living with a good company making decent money. If someone would offer to pay me double or triple what I make know doing something I didn't like, I'd pass on it! I'll probably never make millions of dollars, but that's ok because that is not the be all and end all for me.
Alot easier for sure..but im talking about people that say they need to make 250k a year and what not. You can live upper middle class making around 120k. And i agree with you on working in a field that you like, rather than just going through the motions just to earn a paycheck.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:36 AM   #548
leftcoastm3

My Ride: 2002 M3
33 - between $110k-$130k per year depending on my contracts. I'm a consultant
Old 06-06-2008, 12:15 PM   #549
jbcritch

My Ride: 2005 Steel Blue 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCswedishM3 View Post
Alot easier for sure..but im talking about people that say they need to make 250k a year and what not. You can live upper middle class making around 120k. And i agree with you on working in a field that you like, rather than just going through the motions just to earn a paycheck.
So much depends on where you live. $75K in Macon, Georgia buys much MUCH more than the same $75K in New York City or San Fran.....

When I was only earning $35K and married I had a 4 bedroom 2.5 bath house with an attached workshop on 1/2 acre in Macon, GA and it only cost $133,000 - and it was a good house too in a good neighborhood.
2005 325i SB/Grey - ret.
2007 550i Grey/Black
Mods: M5 mats, M5 spoiler, tint....for now.

Last edited by jbcritch; 06-06-2008 at 12:18 PM.
jbcritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:27 PM   #550
apollotrance1

My Ride: '02 330i, '05 GSXR1k
22 and $27k.... i wish to find a better job.......
apollotrance1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:35 PM   #551
Amoeba

My Ride: his: zhp hers: 325ci
Send a message via Yahoo to Amoeba
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcritch View Post
So much depends on where you live. $75K in Macon, Georgia buys much MUCH more than the same $75K in New York City or San Fran.....
This cost of living thing gets blown way out of proportion. Other than housing costs the cost of living in these cities are the same as the rest of the country. We pay the same for cars, gas, food, dry cleaning, and $7 lunches. Things doesn't automatically become twice as expensive here, it's only the real estate.

On the other hand, while housing is expensive here it's still equity that you own. I can sell my house and move to Georgia, but the reverse doesn't work. The higher salary at coastal cities DOES bring in more wealth. The money doesn't just evaporate when going toward mortgage.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:40 PM   #552
jbcritch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoeba View Post
This cost of living thing gets blown way out of proportion. Other than housing costs the cost of living in these cities are the same as the rest of the country. We pay the same for cars, gas, food, dry cleaning, and $7 lunches. Things doesn't automatically become twice as expensive here, it's only the real estate.

On the other hand, while housing is expensive here it's still equity that you own. I can sell my house and move to Georgia, but the reverse doesn't work. The higher salary at coastal cities DOES bring in more wealth. The money doesn't just evaporate when going toward mortgage.
Not so sure I agree with all that. You have a valid point, but gas IS different depending upon where you live - when I was paying $3.30 for premium (about 30 to 45 days ago) you Cali guys were complaining about $4.00 +.

Commuting is another aspect. When I lived in ATL I was 9 miles from work and it took me 45 minutes plust to get there. Now I live 24 miles from work and it takes 18 (a very good light traffic day) to 30 minutes to commute.

Parking is another premium in certain places. $7 per day where I am if you dont have a free reserved space, compared to some outrageous rates I hear about otherwise in large cities. Some folks in some cities cant really even drive to work so they park and ride trains/subs/rails. That is an expense that is different than I have ever faced, and my friends from Chicago tell me it would cost $50 or so just to get transportation to/from home just to go out for a night....here...it is "free" using the gas in my tank.

Also dependant is your specific state and state taxes. I pay NO state income tax or advelorum tax and my property taxes are nil. All those things are instances where "wealth" evaporates. I pay $25 per year for tags in TN, that is it. I paid $350 + per year for each car in GA. Property tax on my current house in TN is under $3,000 per year, and I dont face the same 7% state income tax I faced in Ga. That alone is an instant 7% raise no matter how you slice it.

Mortage size does cause some money to evaporate...in the form of interest. More money goes to interest the first few years of any mortgage dont forget.

And my point was not that higher salaries on the coast vs. lower salaries in the country are the same...my point was $75K in the country buys you more vs. the same exact $75K in a big city.....Sure you can earn more in a city like New York or LA, but I also see folks in those exact same cities doing the same minimum wage jobs that exist everywhere in the country. Nobody is slinging burgers at McDonalds in LA for $100K a year.
2005 325i SB/Grey - ret.
2007 550i Grey/Black
Old 06-06-2008, 05:56 PM   #553
Amoeba

You need to make comparisons of suburban vs suburban areas. 90% of the Cali people on this forum do not live in the metropolitan city but rather in suburbs around it. We do not pay parking nor do we rent stalls to store our cars.

Cali gas are only about 20 cents higher than the national average. My point is the extra income more than offsets the housing cost. Cost of living for general staples is not much different.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:47 PM   #554
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoeba View Post
You need to make comparisons of suburban vs suburban areas. 90% of the Cali people on this forum do not live in the metropolitan city but rather in suburbs around it. We do not pay parking nor do we rent stalls to store our cars.

Cali gas are only about 20 cents higher than the national average. My point is the extra income more than offsets the housing cost. Cost of living for general staples is not much different.
Friends?

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:54 PM   #555
Amoeba

Yep!
Old 06-07-2008, 07:39 AM   #556
jbcritch

But of course!
2005 325i SB/Grey - ret.
2007 550i Grey/Black
Old 06-07-2008, 08:33 AM   #557
Rotha

My Ride: N/A
yall make a lot of money,

18yrs 10.15/hr

detailer
"You makes me sick" officer responds, "So worried about your BMW; but don't even notice your left arm is missing?"
"OMG.." lawyer replies. "Where's my Rolex?"
Rotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:17 AM   #558
rocketpants

My Ride: 2010 Acura TL
Oh my goodness, bump from beyond the grave. Was just reading through and came across my old post haha. Now I recently just finally landed a job as an accountant for Chubb Insurance.

21 - Pay is $52k + 3-4K year end bonus + OT
Old 04-30-2009, 10:22 AM   #559
ProchaineStation

My Ride: Metro, Bus, Bike
Send a message via MSN to ProchaineStation
age 15
30 a week for for pool grass cars
extra if i do that at someone elses house

Montreal, world transit & infrastructure enthusiast.
www.youtube.com/AntoDamicoShow
ProchaineStation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:42 AM   #560
ports

My Ride: '09 Audi A4
Send a message via AIM to ports
hrm.. i figured there would be a poll on the first page.

age 23, $60k/yr. I'm an engineer.