E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2005, 09:08 AM   #1
SteelBlueXI

My Ride: BMW
So many polishes to choose from...

My friend and I are doing a full detailing session this weekend. My paint is literally a month old so it's in near mint condition and also probably a little soft still so I'm going to use something mild like Meguiars SMR.

My friend's car, on the other hand, hasn't be detailed since they day he bought it. He lives in NH and the weather is pretty abusive. His car is scratched and swirled beyond belief. I have a bottle of Meguiars DACP and a bottle of 3M Finesse-It II. I know the 3M polish is more of a cleaner polish and the DACP is more of a meat and potatos polish.. but I know they're both fairly potent.

Naturally whatever we choose will follow a full clay-ing and then be followed up by the Klasse twins and P21S paste.

Which would be the best for restoring his finish? You can see how dull it is below..

Last edited by SteelBlueXI; 05-12-2005 at 09:11 AM.
SteelBlueXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:31 AM   #2
InSuboRdiNaTioN
Mmm, Pancakes.

My Ride: Collects dust.
I would use Mazerna Power Gloss, and then their Finishing Polish:
http://www.properautocare.com/mengerbespol.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvega9701
one moment, you're rolling. the next, you're blowing a guy for a sandwich
InSuboRdiNaTioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 10:53 AM   #3
Kut_Audi

My Ride: 99 Audi A4/ 02 M3
You're gonna have to use the DACP and probably a orange or Yellow cutting pad on the A4....Audi Clear SUCKS and is rock hard hence difficult to repair....definitely a test of patience. BMW clear isn't much better...but Audi Clear is some of the most difficult that I've worked with...and alot of my clients are Audi Club members.

Pics of my car post polish after a hard ohio winter this year...120K miles and counting.

Kut_Audi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 11:01 AM   #4
SteelBlueXI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kut_Audi
You're gonna have to use the DACP and probably a orange or Yellow cutting pad on the A4....Audi Clear SUCKS and is rock hard hence difficult to repair....definitely a test of patience. BMW clear isn't much better...but Audi Clear is some of the most difficult that I've worked with...and alot of my clients are Audi Club members.
Looks great. That's what I'm going for. DACP it is. I ruined my cutting pad polishing a friend's exhaust tips so I gotta pick up another one this evening.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:08 AM   #5
Kut_Audi

I went pretty deep with the DACP to get some of the defects out of my car when I first bought it used and got some hazing and had to finish up with with Menzerna Final Polish to get the Haze out...so just be sure to look at the car in direct sunlight or under 1000 W halogens to make sure you don't have any Hazing...it's likely to happen with DACP and a cutting pad.

If you're in the market for new polishes...Poorboys products are great. I'm a recent convert to the poorboys line of polishes and the SSR2.5 and SSR1 are some of the best I've used to date.

Andy
Old 05-12-2005, 11:12 AM   #6
SteelBlueXI

Quote:
I went pretty deep with the DACP to get some of the defects out of my car when I first bought it used and got some hazing and had to finish up with with Menzerna Final Polish to get the Haze out...so just be sure to look at the car in direct sunlight or under 1000 W halogens to make sure you don't have any Hazing...it's likely to happen with DACP and a cutting pad.
Crap, I was afraid of that. Ugh.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:44 AM   #7
SteelBlueXI

Ok, so my cutting pad is chewed up. I stopped by the local auto body supply store this morning and they don't have anything that will work with my orbital.

I know I won't achieve the same results, but would I at least see some progress with DACP on a polishing pad at a slightly higher speed... say 3500 rpm-ish?

Old 05-13-2005, 09:58 AM   #8
Kut_Audi

It might take a couple extra passes & pressure with the polishing pad....but you should be able to get close to the same results.

What kind of machine are you using? the PC is measured in Orbits per minute not sure if this is what you're speaking of or not...I use a rotary for most of my heavy duty worknow but I used to do all of my swirl removal with the PC on 5 and 6 (5000-6000 orbits) per minute depending on how bad the surface is.

Andy
Old 05-13-2005, 10:42 AM   #9
SteelBlueXI

Quote:
It might take a couple extra passes & pressure with the polishing pad....but you should be able to get close to the same results.

What kind of machine are you using? the PC is measured in Orbits per minute not sure if this is what you're speaking of or not...I use a rotary for most of my heavy duty worknow but I used to do all of my swirl removal with the PC on 5 and 6 (5000-6000 orbits) per minute depending on how bad the surface is.

Andy
Yeah, I use a PC orbital. I thought it was measured in RPM.

Okay, thanks for the tip on the setting. Not sure I trust myself with a rotary as I have no experience with it.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:51 AM   #10
Kut_Audi

Took me awhile to get used to a rotary...probably 3 months of use before I used it on any client cars anyhow...even then I still had to go back and clean things up with the PC every now and then.

Crank that bad boy (PC) up to 5 or 6 and go to town...you should be good. You might even be fortunate enough if you work the DACP long enough with a polishing pad that you "might" not have to use a final polish...on black I wouldn't count on it though. (sorry)

Andy
Old 05-13-2005, 10:55 AM   #11
SteelBlueXI

Quote:
You might even be fortunate enough if you work the DACP long enough with a polishing pad that you "might" not have to use a final polish...on black I wouldn't count on it though. (sorry)
Yeah, I'm counting on a long day ahead of me.

All I've got for a final polish right now is Meguiars SMR. Think that will do the job? I know you recommended Menzerna and Poorboys, but I don't think my local shops carry those brands.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:59 AM   #12
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
I like the Poorboys World Super Swirl Removers http://secure.detailedimage.com/Merc...ry_Code=Polish, if that Audi is as bad as you say it is the SSR 3 or 2.5 should be appropriate. I use them regularly to get large amounts of scratches and swirls out and I'm always impressed with the results. It works great with the PC too. I also really like Menzerna's http://www.detailedimage.com/index.html line, works great and leaves an awesome finish to the paint. I live in NY as well and I know what the winters here can do to a nice car. Good luck.
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 12:33 PM   #13
SteelBlueXI

I'm going to apply Klasse AIO and SG by hand after polishing with the DACP, but should I give him a final polish with the PC to further help fend off haze?

I currently have 3m Finesse It or Meguiars SMR. Would either of those do combined with the hand application of AIO, or do I need something else?
Old 05-15-2005, 11:04 PM   #14
SteelBlueXI

Well, mission accomplished. It was a grueling 2 days (yes, you heard me -- that audi was bad!) but we managed to restore my friend's car to perfect condition. Only a few really deep scratches remain and they're very hard to see. I'm surprised it came out so well.

Unfortunatly, I didn't get any good pictures. I thought they would turn out nice, but they didn't. I will, however, share what I have.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	detail1.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	126493   Click image for larger version

Name:	detail2.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	126494   Click image for larger version

Name:	detail3.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	126495  
Old 05-15-2005, 11:53 PM   #15
Touringbeast

My Ride: 2004 325xit
SteelBlue-- Question for you. What did you end up topping the Audi with after the Klasse twins? I really like Klasse for longevity but I'm not a big fan of the hazy/sterile look on my black touring. I have yet to put a paste wax over Klasse because it just seemed counter-productive. Great job on both cars by the way--you ressurected that Audi from the dead!!
Touringbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 12:12 AM   #16
christyles

My Ride: '00 323i
Send a message via AIM to christyles
Quote:

Andy
I also find keeping the cut pat slightly moist (maybe a spray or 2 with a trigger spray bottle) and spraying the surface of the paint with the compound on it helps reduce the hazing after numerous passes. However, I'm not sure if this works well with the chemicals mentioned as some compounds/polishes to not work well moistened. I use Farecla G3, and G10. And I use the Makita 9227c variable hi-speed at about 1000-1500rpm for the G3, and 2000 for the G10 - slight pressure.

I know my .02 is a little late but for future use and reference.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:26 AM   #17
SteelBlueXI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touringbeast
SteelBlue-- Question for you. What did you end up topping the Audi with after the Klasse twins? I really like Klasse for longevity but I'm not a big fan of the hazy/sterile look on my black touring. I have yet to put a paste wax over Klasse because it just seemed counter-productive. Great job on both cars by the way--you ressurected that Audi from the dead!!
Right now there is nothing on it. Once it's had time to dry, however, my friend will use the same thing I use.... P21S paste wax. As long as it's not a cleaner wax you can use a paste wax on top of Klasse without any worries. Once you top it though, you can't put anymore coats of Klasse on. It won't stick to wax.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:11 PM   #18
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
Great job on both cars! I love the p21s on top of the Klasse Twins, it gives you great results everytime.
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 06:14 PM   #19
SteelBlueXI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregs
Great job on both cars! I love the p21s on top of the Klasse Twins, it gives you great results everytime.
Thanks!

My friend uploaded the pictures he took and they came out far better then mine. Here's some for everyone to enjoy...

Old 05-18-2005, 06:16 PM   #20
SteelBlueXI

Here's another before pic of the Audi.. believe it or not in this picture the car had just been washed.