E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-18-2005, 04:40 PM   #1
ADA
Banned

My Ride: 323ci
transmission fluid change UPDATE:

Guys,

I will update this thread every 1,000 miles.

I changed my ZF Steptronic transmission fluid and filter with REDLINE DT4 and OEM filter and gasket.

Orginal Miles: 75,957
Date: 7 MAY 2005

Update 1:
Miles: 76,052
Date: 18 MAY 2005
Observation: No sign of any transmission leak. Seems to be running fine

For anyone else that conducted the transmission fluid change for their automatic transmission, please submitt your input and/or data.
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:45 PM   #2
djsunkim

My Ride: beema
i heard the transmission goes KABOOOOM after a tranmission oil change? i heard it is ok to do so if you are under 25k miles or something
djsunkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 04:56 PM   #3
stock330ci

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
I'm not trying to be rude. I want to understand: What is the purpose of this update?
stock330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 04:58 PM   #4
ADA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock330ci
I'm not trying to be rude. I want to understand: What is the purpose of this update?
Read the thread above yours. That is the purpose of this thread.

People say transmission goes "kaaboom" immediately after changing your lifetime fluid.

understand now?
Old 05-18-2005, 05:00 PM   #5
stock330ci

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
again, not trying to be rude....

But if that's what people say...

are you:

1) Deliberately changing transmission oil to see if what people say it's true?

or

2) Changing transmission oil to see if there are any performance gains?
stock330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 05:03 PM   #6
djsunkim

My Ride: beema
i would love to do a transmission oil change too but im just too scared (41k miles right now) I'm just gonna hold onto my owners manual and if my tranmission goes because of lack of transmission oil change or whatever. I'm going to shove that "LIFETIME FLUID, NO FLUID CHANGE REQUIRED" bs down their throat!
djsunkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 05:04 PM   #7
ADA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock330ci
again, not trying to be rude....

But if that's what people say...

are you:

1) Deliberately changing transmission oil to see if what people say it's true?

or

2) Changing transmission oil to see if there are any performance gains?

Dude, stop trying to be "rude." Do a search and you will find the answer to your question. However, if you are too lazy to do a search, my answer is below:

OPTION 3. Lifetime fluid is BS. Nothing is lifetime. Oil breaks down. Changing your fluid is necessary to prolong your components.

Like I said, do a search.

The intent of this thread is to PROVIDE a series of updates so others members can view and submitt their data. Nothing more and nothing less. Nuff said
Old 05-18-2005, 05:11 PM   #8
Nics

My Ride: Cooper S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA
OPTION 3. Lifetime fluid is BS. Nothing is lifetime. Oil breaks down. Changing your fluid is necessary to prolong your components.
^^ agree with that. My friend changed the fluid in his automatic 540 the other weekend or so, and it had 100k+ on the clock. He hasn't complained about anything going kablooey yet.

I'd be interested in hearing updates every so often since my tranny feels like it's not catching gears as quickly anymore.
Nics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 05:49 PM   #9
Raysride

My Ride: 01 330 Dinan Cab.
Thumbs Up ADA keep us posted can use for my changeout this Sept.

Should have 55K by then. Not duing it know because cars on "PROBATION" 4 mos. no probs.by Sept. we keep and hello new fluid. Thanks again.
Raysride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 09:04 PM   #10
ADA
Banned

MINOR UPDATE:

I went and put my car up on a lift today to do a visual undercarriage inspection.

I checked for subframe tear. So far my car is good. What a relief.
I checked for exhaust leak on my TSE3. Small leaks. Maybe I should get it welded.

Anyhow, I noticed that I am having very minor transmission fluid leak around the gasket. I had to tighten it again with a t25 w/ a wrench. The bols actually made half to 3/4 of a full rotation. so my tips to you guys are make sure you tighten your bolts on your pan tightly. Hand tighten will not be enough force. Like I said, just a very small leak.

=)
Old 05-22-2005, 09:30 PM   #11
kevmo

My Ride: vDubDizzle
Send a message via AIM to kevmo
thanks for this i'll keep it bumpped!

kevmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 11:18 PM   #12
Mikygunz

My Ride: '01 330ci
thanks for the updates....i'd like to know to as my tranny has about 43k miles on it and im thinking about changing the oil on it soon.
Mikygunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 11:32 PM   #13
SpeedinBlueBimmer

My Ride: 05 Z4 3.0i(For Sale)
Send a message via AIM to SpeedinBlueBimmer
Hmm.. I hadn't heard this. Its only on the Step though right? I'm planning on changing the fluid in my 325 5speed in a few weeks and got extra fluid to do it on my dads 330 step... Im guessing I might want to hold off then, or is the "kaboom" BS?
Old 05-23-2005, 01:16 AM   #14
ADA
Banned

Below is the OFFICIAL instructions on how to change your transmission fluid.

I have the PDF document if you want it. The PDF document is from ZF (the transmission maker for the 5 speed steptronic transmission)

5HP19 General Transmission Oil Filling Procedure
Oil temperature should be between 86º…95ºF (30º…35ºC).
NO YES
Idle speed should be neng = 650 … 950 rpm (according to vehicle manufacturer’s directive).
Hold each gear for 3 seconds and engage the parking lock.
Select R and D and use step shift (manual-winter program) to shift through to 3rd gear.
Shift through gears with engine running at idle speed.
Start the engine (large consumers, such as A/C should be switched on).
With the engine stopped, add ATF, only use lubricants as to specification (see Page 3),
through the fill hole until oil emerges from fill hole. Install Fill Plug (Pos. 01.010/340).
Connect tester to read off transmission oil temperature and engine speed.
Position vehicle horizontally on hoist and apply the handbrake.
Shift through gears with engine at idle speed.
Depending on value allow oil to cool down or
warm up.
Continues on next page
Remove fill plug (Pos. 01.010/340) on housing.
Hold each gear for 3 seconds and engage
the parking lock.
Select R and D and use step shift (manualwinter
program) to shift through to 3rd gear.
All Rights Reserved For Reference Only © 2003 ZF Industries, Inc. - Page 5
ZF 5HP19 Automatic Transmission - Spare Parts Catalog
5HP19 Technical Information (continued)
5HP19 General Transmission Oil Filling Procedure (continued)
Continues from previous page
Oil emerges at oil temperature below 95ºF (35ºC).
NO YES
Allow time for excess oil to drip then install Fill Plug (Pos. 01.010/340). Torque Fill Plug to 35Nm ±3.5Nm
Old 05-23-2005, 01:35 AM   #15
InSuboRdiNaTioN
Mmm, Pancakes.

My Ride: Collects dust.
Here is the aforementioned PDF. Big thanks to ADA
http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/429178c6...r1XkCBMPme3PdW

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvega9701
one moment, you're rolling. the next, you're blowing a guy for a sandwich
InSuboRdiNaTioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 01:55 AM   #16
RushRacer
Registered Abuser

My Ride: '02 330Ci
Here's what I've learned over the years, mostly with regard to domestics and japanese car, which may or may not apply. There are two types of transmission fluid services. A flush or a change. Generally speaking, a complete flush should only be performed on transmissions with less than 20k miles. If this is done early enough, consequent full flushes can be made at regular intervals, which vary by car make and model.

However, if a complete flush is not performed prior to 20k, then a complete should never be performed on that transmission. At regular intervals, a simple fluid changed should be performed by removing the pan and allowing the fluid to drain. Replace the filter and refill to the appropriate level.

After 20k, a significant amount of debris has been created by friction in the tranny. For the most part, this debris settles harmlessly in the nooks and crannies. Some will drain with the change, the rest will remain harmlessly in the trans. However, a flush will dislodge much of this debris, but may not force it out of the tranny. When the tranny is operated following the flush, large fragments may flow between the gears, causing damage or failure.

Sorry for the long post...

I love you, Brian Fellow.
And I love your hat, Rufus.

RushRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 06:13 AM   #17
rocks
Likes Supermodels

My Ride: Psychedelic Machine
good job ADA, i was awaiting this from you.
Mods: BBS LM's | Matte black kidney | UUC TSE3 Light | UUC V2 Springs | UUC 5sp pedal set | OEM Mtech II kit | Oem Bi - xenon retrofit | OEM M3 mirrors retrofit | OEM Euro tray| OEM 5sp weighted shift knob | Homelink |OEM Alarm | Sharpie mod | UED 5K hid fogs| GC RSM | Hardwired V1 Euro |
rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 07:13 PM   #18
ADA
Banned

UPDATE 3:

For the last week I have been pushing my car extremely hard with the all spirit drives and a cruise I have participated in.

DATE: 30 MAY 2005
MILEAGE: 77,003 miles
Observation: After I retighten my bolts there are no more minor transmission leak. Also, there is no sign or smell of the transmission going bad. Maybe in a few weeks, I will lift my car up and try to conduct a ghetto oil analysis of my transmission fluid. Car is still running great.

Lastly, for those of you that missed it, here is the thread of the OFFICIAL Documentation regarding our ZF Transmission. Here you can find the specs, part numner, and official filling instruction on the ZF transmission:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...t=transmission
Old 05-30-2005, 07:22 PM   #19
rocks
Likes Supermodels

My Ride: Psychedelic Machine
Glad to know everything is going great with your transmission.... looking forward for further updates.
Mods: BBS LM's | Matte black kidney | UUC TSE3 Light | UUC V2 Springs | UUC 5sp pedal set | OEM Mtech II kit | Oem Bi - xenon retrofit | OEM M3 mirrors retrofit | OEM Euro tray| OEM 5sp weighted shift knob | Homelink |OEM Alarm | Sharpie mod | UED 5K hid fogs| GC RSM | Hardwired V1 Euro |
rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 10:09 PM   #20
Mikygunz

My Ride: '01 330ci
link doesnt work.....can you email me the pdf. Mikeygun17@aol.com
im looking to do this soon.

Thanks
Mikygunz is offline   Reply With Quote