E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-11-2015, 08:08 PM   #1
TerraPhantm

My Ride: M3 & ZHP
Manual Leveling Retrofit to Xenon Cars

So this is a pretty easy mod actually. Allows you to adjust the headlight aim from inside the car like European halogen cars.

There are two parts to this modification. The soldering of an extra resistor, and coding.

Requirements:
  • 1 10K***937; SMD Resistor
  • An LCM Faceplate w/ Manual Leveling
  • NCS Expert

The Resistor:
  • Solder the 10K resistor to the highlighted pad (already added in picture). I used an 0603 resistor since that's what I had on hand, but the pads are meant for a larger one.

• After you're done with that, install the new faceplate and reinstall the LCM in your car

The Coding:
  • Using NCS Expert, set "LEUCHTWEITENREG_AUTOM" to "nicht_aktiv"

You're done; you should now be able to manually adjust the headlight level from inside the car.

Bonus: Modifying rear-fog ONLY faceplate to front fog.
If you want to retrofit this feature, but don't want to bother with retrofitting rear fogs, and don't want to have a useless button, buy a faceplate meant for cars with rear fogs only.
  • Open up the faceplate (one screw and 4 "clips" -- no DIY, sorry), and remove the fog lamp button (pops out).
  • Under where the button was, you should notice a couple solder pads (highlighted below)
  • A rear fog ONLY switch will have the right pad populated with a 0-ohm link and the left pad empty. Move the link to the left pad.
  • You can now open up your original faceplate, and grab the front-fog button to install in your modified plate.
Final result will look like this:

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:12 PM   #2
Blue_Sky

My Ride: e46 ZHP
whoa. thank you. i do have a manual level faceplate. can;t wait to try it. just have to find someone with soldering skills
Blue_Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:15 PM   #3
Blue_Sky

terra...my only question is why would we need to install the resistor? euro cars with the euro face plate with the manual leveling knob doens't have to do this modification.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:29 PM   #4
TerraPhantm

The resistor is needed for the signal from the leveling knob to actually reach the analog input. If you don't install it, the knob won't do anything. Euro halogen LCMs already come with that resistor installed.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:37 PM   #5
Blue_Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
The resistor is needed for the signal from the leveling knob to actually reach the analog input. If you don't install it, the knob won't do anything. Euro halogen LCMs already come with that resistor installed.
that makes sense. I bought a complete euro halogen LCMs with the manual knob. I guess now it is just a programming thing. I will check for the resistor this weekend and report.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:11 AM   #6
Onizukachan

My Ride: `04 M56 Touring
I'm excited about this. I loved the leveling on my e34.
Would this be possible to do in combination with a xenon retrofit on a halogen car?

Mostly because I like puns.

Last edited by Onizukachan; 03-11-2016 at 03:15 AM.
Onizukachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:05 PM   #7
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
My lcm has the leveling which was working until I coded the car for xenon & led. Can I get the leveling function back, without of course coding for halogen :p
Old 03-16-2016, 05:47 PM   #8
TerraPhantm

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
My lcm has the leveling which was working until I coded the car for xenon & led. Can I get the leveling function back, without of course coding for halogen :p
Using NCS Expert, set "LEUCHTWEITENREG_AUTOM" to "nicht_aktiv"