E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 02:39 PM   #101
dexx_x

My Ride: 2002 325ci
Thanks so much to everyone for the info
Just finished it.. Took about 45 mins, not bad considering this is from a guy that doesn't even know how to jack up a car (used ramps)

Couple things different on mine. Fuse 54 is 20amp not 15 and the clamps were loosened and tightened with a 1/4 socket.
Other than that, step by step, this DIY helped so much. Barely any fuel came out at all! I'd say it was ~2 cups max...
dexx_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:01 AM   #102
aznballer24

My Ride: 2001 330i
For the replacement clamp needed to put the hoses together for this job, can we use a regular hose clamp that is found in a hardware store? I'm thinking of replacing the clamps because of the odd screw head type that bmw used.
aznballer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:37 AM   #103
lkstaack

My Ride: 04 330iZHP, 05 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznballer24 View Post
For the replacement clamp needed to put the hoses together for this job, can we use a regular hose clamp that is found in a hardware store? I'm thinking of replacing the clamps because of the odd screw head type that bmw used.
Yes, you can use a regular screw-type clamp; OE uses that with a proprietary head.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:40 PM   #104
John in VA

My Ride: '00 Farngrün 328i
Spend an extra dime or so to get a Euro-style clamp that has the rolled edge on the band. This prevents it cutting into the hose, and has better grip. They're made by Norma, Zebra, Wurth, and ABA, to name a few. Pick them up at your local import repair or parts center.

'86 535i
'85 535i
'85 325e - RIP
'74 2002tii
John in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 04:28 PM   #105
York

My Ride: 01 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by astor View Post
... I bought a foot of fuel line hose from Advance Auto for $1.50 ...
$1.50 seems a little cheap for a foot of fuel injection hose? I just reused mine, but if buying new hose should we be using fuel injection rated hose? Will regular fuel hose fail from the additional pressure from fuel injection? Just checking.

Oh, and by the way, good write-up! Just did my fuel filter this morning and all is well.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:02 PM   #106
emjlr3

My Ride: 2004 325xi
words from the wise - did this about a month ago for my wife - was the last of two things (other being engine belts) needed for the 60k maintance (which is now at 72k since i took the winter off from car work)

the little rubber hose that connects off the side of the front of the fuel filter - be careful when removing - mine actually snapped off where it was friction fitted - thankfully I had enough slack to make the connection again (not much writing was devoted to its removal)

maybe it was just my bad luck, but even after removing the fuse and turning the car over about 9 times - it was still starting - so i got fed up and just went down to remove the fuel filter - bad idea - it made a hell of a mess, everywhere

even though i re-used all of the clamps and hoses - when i do it again, I will probably buy new ones - they looked and felt old

you really need to completey remove the shield covering the fuel filter to get good access (IMO) - the bolts up past the front are a pain to get to, and I was unable to use a wratchet on the one - which added another 10 minutes to remove and replace

whoever thought it would be a good idea to use one way screw driver clamps was a moron - makes things much harder then they need be

when all was said and done - took me probably 75 minutes or so

the tight quarters makes it harder then it needs to be, if you could put it on a lift would go much faster

Last edited by emjlr3; 05-17-2010 at 01:04 PM.
emjlr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:06 PM   #107
luigi65

My Ride: 2004 330i with ZHP
emjlr3, your fuel filter replacement experience echos mine nearly to a T. And here I was hoping my first "feedback" post might shed new light on this procedure. Still, I'd like to share some thoughts on replacing the fuel filter, which I did last night. This wasn't the first time I've picked up a wrench, not by a long shot, but I'm certainly not as accomplished a shadetree mechanic as others on this forum seem to be.

1. I put my car up on ramps, but as a 6' 1" 200-pound dude I discovered that makes for a really tight fit between the ground and the car. You can do it, but it requires lots of wiggling around and repositioning yourself frequently. I strongly advise raising the car higher than ramps allow, and I will do so next time when I likely will not be doing this job as quickly as possible to beat an impending rain storm.

2. For me too the little rubber vacuum hose that attaches to the nipple on the front of the filter, closest to the engine, was dry and brittle and broke off when I removed it. But I also lucked out and there was enough of the hose left to fit it back on the new fuel filter's nipple. Phew. Remove that vacuum hose slowly and twist it gently left and right as you do so.

3. Those one-way hose clamps are easy enough to remove with a screw driver, but forgot about putting them back on with a screwdriver or socket -- you can't This has been discussed by others herein. I used a small crescent wrench to tighten them back up, but that was super-tedious. I strongly suggest not being lazy (or forgetful) as I was and purchase new clamps.

4. I did remove fuse #54, and started the car until it wouldn't anymore. I also opened my gas cap. Perhaps this is why I had not much fluid to deal with. About three cups total, I estimate, including what was in the filter. But boy was I suprised how dirty and dark the fuel in the filter was when I tilted it to pour it out. And only after 54K. Wow. (I used an old plastic shallow planter base, which was low enough to fit under the car easily but deep and round enough to catch all the fuel and allow me to drop the filter in it.)

5. That blasted shield! I was able to remove all screws except for one of the two front ones. Those who raise their cars higher will probably not have a problem accesing that hard-to-reach screw. But, I was able to rotate the shield away from me and the filter enough to free up as much room as I needed to access the filter and clamps easily.

6. I'm embarrassed to say this took me 1.5 hours. Still, it's done and honestly I notice smoother acceleration now, which is always nice. Plus, check another item off the maintanence to-do list. Good luck -- and as many others have said, this is certainly a reasonable DIY project. Thanks.
luigi65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:45 AM   #108
emjlr3

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Quote:
6' 1" 200-pound dude I discovered that makes for a really tight fit between the ground and the ca
speak of a spitting image - am 6'1" ~210lbs

its not so bad when doing oil, or anything up in front of the engine - but with just the car on ramps, about halfway back along the under belly of the car is where the fuel filter resides, and due to the incline of the car, its really not much breathing space

if one were to jack up the front and rear, as when doing a rear diff. fluid change - it may help

i probably got about 3 cups of fuel out also - which I thought was a lot - the mistake i made was after pulling off the first hose (one of the rear ones if i remember correctly) my hand slipped because it was still under pressure , the fuel filter sort of fell a bit, and so did the removed hose, and **** hit the fan - would have been nice to have had 3 hands at that moment - 1. to hold the filter level, 1. to hold the removed hose up, and the last to position my drain bucket properly

also - there was a lot of fuel in the filter itself - it seemed like i could just keep draining it and shaking it for ever until it finally was empty - and yea that was gross stuff

Last edited by emjlr3; 05-22-2010 at 08:53 AM.
emjlr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:31 AM   #109
ericsonp325i

My Ride: 01 Black 325i
great write up, did this before and got full soaked, LOL but i wasn't paying attention that much anyway

MODS:Harmon Kardon System// HK Drive+Play// CCFL Angel Eyes// Motorola HF850 BT Kit// Black Headlight Corners// Clear Side Markers// M3 Style Side Mirrors W/ LED Turn Signal// 20% Tint// LED Rear Tailights// M3 Style Front Bumper
ericsonp325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:37 PM   #110
weigun

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Send a message via Skype™ to weigun
I just did it yesterday, few thought/question I have in my experience.

1. You need to remove 3 screws and 2 bolts to have a complete access to the fuel filter. It can make whole process much easier.
2. Instead of removing old hoses, I just cut it off and replace them. It is the easiest/fastest way to do the job. I think everyone should to it if you are going to replace fuel filter. You can easily get this hose in Auto Zone.
3. I removed fuse #54, but the fuel still kept coming from fuel line. Its because I had 3/4 tank of gas in my car?
4. Having a golf tee wrap with duct tape handy can be very useful if you also have same problem like me. I just plugged the golf tee in the fuel line.
weigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:43 PM   #111
1st_ID_Vet

My Ride: 2004 325XI
Unhappy

Note to newbies...you need at VERY minimum, ramps to access the area in question. I tried this moments ago (for 30 minutes) and was unable to reach the necessary area to remove the fire guard.. (fail). I feel like a 12 year old boy trying to find the red hot spot on a naked woman. *I am such a car noob; you want someone who knows the main gun or firing mechanism of an M1A1 Abrams...I am your man...but cars? I can change a tire!*
1st_ID_Vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:38 PM   #112
delmarco

My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
great DIY!

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:16 AM   #113
1st_ID_Vet

fellas, I am embarassed I have to even ask this...

Let me preface by saying followed all the steps and was able to change the fuel filter. Very awesome. But I forgot an essential part of anything....attention to detail. on the rear side of the fuel filter in this *.pdf there are two lines going in....my two lines are different colors....1 black and 1 blue. I am not sure which went to which connection. NOW when I start of the car it revs, chugs slows rpms to next to nothing dies and smells like gas...I was having issues before the change where it was rough idle and little power to start with; so I am not sure whether I hosed this up or if it is just a more serious version of what was already there.....now my question.

What are the symptoms of attaching the wrong fuel lines to the wrong connectors of the fuel filter?
Old 06-11-2010, 07:37 AM   #114
lkstaack

My Ride: 04 330iZHP, 05 325iT
I've attached the lines to the wrong nipples of the filter before. Car wouldn't start. Started up when I reversed the lines. I think you should look elsewhere for your problem.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:19 PM   #115
jeffmr

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st_ID_Vet View Post
What are the symptoms of attaching the wrong fuel lines to the wrong connectors of the fuel filter?
I'm not sure but on one side you have a fuel line connector and regulator connector. The regulator connector sticks out at an angle and only connects to the regulator spongy tube so if you can line those up, the other side should be fine.
jeffmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:25 PM   #116
1st_ID_Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmr View Post
I'm not sure but on one side you have a fuel line connector and regulator connector. The regulator connector sticks out at an angle and only connects to the regulator spongy tube so if you can line those up, the other side should be fine.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 06-12-2010, 07:54 PM   #117
jeffmr

mispost

Last edited by jeffmr; 06-13-2010 at 07:12 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:14 PM   #118
1st_ID_Vet

Quote:
I don't think that is the right way. I can't see the other side of your filter but it looks like its a kayser. The side facing the back should have the tube that is sticking out and the one that is perpendicular to it. I'm trying to attach a photo of the filter.

http://imagebin.ca/view/HAIHAm.html
This is from the DIY for the FUEL FILTER change PDF from this forum...so I know it's correct; The issue is not how it looks when installed...but rather the fact that the 2 parallel out ports shown...there is a BLUE fuel tube and a BLACK fuel tube...I was mainly wondering which color goes to which port?
Old 06-13-2010, 07:13 AM   #119
jeffmr

http://bimmerinfo.com/diy/fuel-filter/

I'm not really sure what you are asking. The picture you posted is from the diy in the link above. It also shows pictures of the blue and black tubes connected to the filter with the word kayser facing down. It looks like the blue one is toward the inside of the car.

Last edited by jeffmr; 06-13-2010 at 07:19 AM.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:54 AM   #120
1st_ID_Vet

Quote:
http://bimmerinfo.com/diy/fuel-filter/

I'm not really sure what you are asking. The picture you posted is from the diy in the link above. It also shows pictures of the blue and black tubes connected to the filter with the word kayser facing down. It looks like the blue one is toward the inside of the car.
There we go. That was what I was asking if Blue was inside toward center of the car or was it black.