E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-18-2010, 10:53 AM   #121
idoc330ci

My Ride: 2003 330ci
Awesome DIY!... Just finished changing mine out today. Took about 30 minutes. I just wanted to thank all of the fanatics who contributed to this diy! U guys ROCK!!

idoc330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:41 PM   #122
2003 325i

My Ride: '03 Orient Blue 325i
Did mine a couple weeks back. I work at a Ford dealership as a tech so a hoist is always nice .

I didn't remove fuse 54 or starve it of fuel, not really necessary when you have the filter right beside you and a drain bucket underneath. Popped the front lines off and drained what fuel I could from that side, then popped off the feed and return lines and quickly put the new filter on. All in all probably less than a litre of fuel lost. I used pliers to re-tighten the original clamps, and I only disconnected them on the filter sides. There is enough room and play to get them out if you're careful. I got the cover completely off, having ratcheting wrenches with pivoting heads for those front 2 8mm bolts is handy (finally spending 10 grand + on tools is starting to pay off).

My car started right up after doing this, I'm sure the reason was because I didn't starve the lines of fuel and my filter was already primed there would've been very little air in there.

BTW I also got my most complete oil change at the same time, used a separate drainer under there the whole time I was doing this and checking out suspension components, looking for rust and leaks etc...

As well the Bentley manual was more than good enough for me, in what ways did you others find it really lacking? I'm new to wrenching, only 1.5 yrs or so but was a DIYer on my VW before the BMW so maybe being in the garage for some time and having all the necessary tools helped me where others thought the Bentley came short... I dunno.
2003 325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:33 PM   #123
CokMinusTheS54

My Ride: '01 TiAg 325Ci 5mt
Bump. Doing this today. Thanks for the DIY
Old 09-16-2010, 07:12 PM   #124
Ruf

My Ride: 03 ZHP Imola Red
Just knocked it out in 1 hr.
Tried the ramps, didn't get the car high enough, so I pulled out the jack stands.
Pulled the fuse, but didn't cycle the ignition. Only about 3/4 cup of fuel drained out.
Tools used - 8mm socket for the shield, 10mm for the filter bracket, a screwdriver to remove the clamps, and a vise grip to tighten the clamps.
you can use vise grips or an open ended wrench (maybe 5mm) for the clamps. There is only 1 set of flats on the clamps, which is why a socket doesn't work.

To reach the 2 nuts on the shield, you will need a 6 in extension on your ratchet. The nuts are up by the control arm bushing.
Ruf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 01:07 PM   #125
DontWriteGraff

My Ride: E36///M.TchnoHrdtop
Done in about 45 minutes because of the dam little hoses they are a pain to get off.
DontWriteGraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:35 PM   #126
lkchris

My Ride: Friends' BMWs
As regards the fuel hose, check this out: http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...fuel_hose.html

You'll note "Kevlar" and you should note the price, i.e. $24 for about 3ft.

Now anyone that thinks this is "same as the stuff at PepBoys," or "just normal fuel injection line" is seriously rationalizing a way to get this cheaper.

It's simply ludicrous to think BMW puts $8/foot hose on this car just to make our lives difficult and to rob our pockets. The supplier listed isn't necessarily selling OE part in any event.

It's also ludicrous to rationalize that anything else is good enough, BMW simply doesn't spend this kind of money on something "not necessary."

Time to grow up about this and pay the price.

And while you're at it, check this out as regards the clamps: http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...ose_clamp.html

These "special clamps" have two purposes:

to guarantee they are torqued to the proper tightness
to guarantee they cannot be reused

Again, BMW does this because it's important and not to overcharge you or make your life difficult. They wouldn't spend the money at the factory if it weren't necessary.

Give it up--there's no "genius" in cheaping out and in ignoring engineering specifications. You ARE NOT smarter than BMW. Again, grow up. And, have ALL the correct parts before you start.
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:45 PM   #127
EDness

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325xi
i'm changing the fuel filter now but i have a 20 amp fuse in there...does it matter? i see that there's a 15 amp fuse in the link.
EDness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:39 PM   #128
MrWesson

My Ride: 01 330CI/09 328i
Sorry to bump this old thread but just wanted to remind anyone who reads to pry off the front line first.

Once the front is free you can pull the filter and pry the lines off the rear. I used a combo needle nose pliers and screwdriver. The pliers were most effective but could damage the hose.

Also the rear center rear hose(inlet) seemed to drip forever. Finally I plugged it with a golf tee(larger tee) and worked like a charm.
MrWesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:54 PM   #129
bmw_325i_ct

My Ride: 325i
Just did this today. Pretty much followed instruction step by step and it wasn't hard. The only thing to notice is after removing the fuse my car would not stall. I ran it for 2 minutes and it kept running. Tried twice more for 30 seconds and still was running. But I went ahead anyway. I replaced the fuel hose and the air hose as well. You definitely want to do the front hose first. You'll get one good spray from the fuel line so becareful not to be in front of it. Used the plastic plugs that came with the filter to tap the 3 fuel lines while I was getting the filter ready. One thing I want to mention is when I started my car after turning the ignition to position 2 for 30 sec is that the car ran very rough and SEL light came on. I ran it for a minute checking for leaks. Then I shut my car off and finished putting the cover on. Started the car and it was running back smoothly and SEL light was off. Hope this helps anyone wanting to do this. Thanks to all that have contributed to this thread.
bmw_325i_ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:00 PM   #130
ScottKendall

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
As regards the fuel hose, check this out: http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...fuel_hose.html

You'll note "Kevlar" and you should note the price, i.e. $24 for about 3ft.

Now anyone that thinks this is "same as the stuff at PepBoys," or "just normal fuel injection line" is seriously rationalizing a way to get this cheaper.

It's simply ludicrous to think BMW puts $8/foot hose on this car just to make our lives difficult and to rob our pockets. ...

Give it up--there's no "genius" in cheaping out and in ignoring engineering specifications. You ARE NOT smarter than BMW. Again, grow up. And, have ALL the correct parts before you start.
No one challenged your rant. I went with SAE30R6KX fuel line because I had no other choice. I have to have the car up and runnnig, so this was a temporary fix, or may not so temporary. Looks like several other have done this without a problem.

If I blow the line this week, I will write back.

Could someone either confirm that the line has to be made out of something very high performance or that the "pep boys" hose works.

Thanks.
ScottKendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:25 PM   #131
vol96

My Ride: 2000 328i
2000 328i 184k miles. Just did mine. Had original filter on it. 3 hrs including snowy trip to auto parts store to get new clamps + gas (cheeze-o-peet $3.63/gal for regular). Didnt pull fuse or relieve fuel pressure and still very little spilled out. Just put the car on jack stands and went for it. Very cramped, left rotator cuff hurting so could only use right hand....and I'm a lefty. Removed shield completely, original clamps and hoses were easy to get off. Stumbled once on startup then ran fine.

Last edited by vol96; 03-05-2011 at 09:30 PM.
vol96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:01 PM   #132
daz415

My Ride: BMW 330i
Send a message via MSN to daz415
bump
Old 04-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #133
BMWMac

My Ride: 325i
Great DIY write-up. Just replaced my filter last night. Here are a few of my thoughts. First, I was also replacing my fuel pump, which had stopped working. Thus, I was unable to pull the car up on ramps and I had to jack it up. I don't know where the center jack point is, nor do I own a jack that would lift it from the center jack point (I know, I should probably get one for all the DIY work I do on my car). Anyway, I ended up just using my car's jack and the side jack points, jacking one side up at a time. I put big blocks under the frame to hold it up. If you are going to use a creeper to roll under the car, you will need to get the car pretty high up in the air.

Next, I intended to take the protective shield completely off. But I could not get one of the two "nuts" off of the front of the shield. I ended up rounding off the corners of said "nut" so it will probably never be coming off. Anyway, I ended up just bending the shield out of the way as other have done.

My hoses were not too difficult to remove with a little prying from a flathead screwdriver. Since my fuel pump wasn't working, there was very little gas in the lines. I had a small bucket and honestly don't think I spilled one drop on my garage floor.

If you end up bending the shield out of the way as I did, it may be a little tough to line up the holes to get the screws back in on the bottom. Start with the screw closest to the front of the car, and only start it a little bit. Don't tighten any of them down until you have started all three. Once all of them are started, you can snug them down.

Overall, with the help of this write-up, this DIY was fairly simple and straightforward. I would rate it a 3 on a difficulty scale of 1-10.
BMWMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:18 AM   #134
jdunn1034

My Ride: 2003 325ci
Send a message via AIM to jdunn1034
Did this DIY this past weekend. The 3 hoses were a little bit of a pain to get off of the old filter (expected for having 100000 miles I guess) and there was still some pressure in the lines when I took the first hose off, but all in all it went pretty smooth. Only had about 6-12 ounces of gas to catch and new filter went in easy. Now just waiting to see if this affects gas mileage.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:09 AM   #135
nedined

My Ride: 04 330Xi & 06 ML350
Send a message via MSN to nedined Send a message via Yahoo to nedined Send a message via Skype™ to nedined
Do I have to necessarily change the 3 hoses or I just can reuse the old ones?! What about the 6 clamps?
If someone has left over OEM hose that will be long enough for 3 new ones, let me know. I can buy it from you instead paying for a whole 1 meter of it.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:18 AM   #136
John in VA

My Ride: '00 Farngrün 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedined View Post
Do I have to necessarily change the 3 hoses or I just can reuse the old ones?! What about the 6 clamps?
I replaced my filter @ 60K, but it had already been replaced before I got the car. I didn't pull any fuse, change out hoses, or replace hose clamps (as normal worm-style were in place).
'86 535i
'85 535i
'85 325e - RIP
'74 2002tii
John in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:05 PM   #137
the_HP_junkie

My Ride: has been upgraded
Changed my fuel filter yesterday, along with spark plugs, cabin air filter and fuel injectors. Took me about 4.5 hrs.
I also pulled the fuse 54 out, the car ran for about 2 min then started to spatter. There was still pressurized fuel left in the lines, so when I took the first hose out I got sprayed in my face. So im thinking for the next time I'd cover the connection of the hose and filter area with a piece of clothe so it will contain the spray. Otherwise the rest of the diy went great.
Thanks for all the input and the OP for the great DIY

Its been fun
the_HP_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:43 AM   #138
Sanchjer

My Ride: 323i e46 SOLD!
I'll be doing this this weekend and was wondering what is the point of running the car out of gas? I mean, I know its so no fuel runs out but I also know it isn't that good on your motor to run it out of gas. I'm just planning on using hose compressors to clamp down on the fuel lines so no fuel runs out...
Sanchjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:05 PM   #139
brandonwish

My Ride: 02 325i 5MT
Literally just finished this and no problems. Took about little hour and a half because my car had a rear skid plate I needed to remove. Other than that everything else was pretty much spot on. Great writeup and thanks!

|||2002 325i 5MT|||
brandonwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:44 PM   #140
NickdZHP

My Ride: 06 330ci ZHP
Hi All,

Does anyone know if an 06 330ci ZHP Fuel filter should include the pressure regulator? I just bought a MANN Part # WK5321 and i'm having a hard time finding out if it includes a pressure regulator on it or not. What brand fuel filter has everyone been using? Thanks!
NickdZHP is offline   Reply With Quote