E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2014, 11:36 PM   #1
Raphael2422

My Ride: E36
First time brake job! Please help! Minor squeal

Hey all I am kind of new at this just tryinn to learn - Me and a friend changed just the front brake pads (about 50$ ceramic)about a week ago . This was the first ever brake job done for the car so I assumed the rotors were fine . We made sure it was greased up everywhere it was supposed to (Didn't replace or turn them) so since then my front brakes have been terribly squealing only when I lightly apply pressure on the brakes , but goes away when pressed down harder. I realized I should have probably changed or turned my rotors after I already drove with the new pads on the old rotors for about a week so it's probably too late now. I am just wondering whether this noise go away eventually (what I initially figured it would) from the pads perhaps wearing back into the old rotors ? Or am I better off not waiting for this because the noise won't to away and I should just change the pads again along with the rotors!?

Last edited by Raphael2422; 03-19-2014 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Needed to add few
Raphael2422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:38 PM   #2
Llink78

My Ride: 2002 330i
Did you use any Copper Paste on the back of the pads and sliders?

234HP/197TQ Just bolt ons :)
Llink78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:40 PM   #3
Raphael2422

Yes , I forgot to add we specifically made sure all points of contact were greased where they were supposed to be
Old 03-19-2014, 11:43 PM   #4
Llink78

What pads did you buy? Cheap auto parts store? OE bmw? something recommended?

Old 03-19-2014, 11:46 PM   #5
Raphael2422

They were 50$ ceramics , I tried going for the nicest brand for the car, forgot exactly what brand. not sure if it's like same as original pads for the car , but whichever were the higher quality pads at the advanced auto parts store under my "make model year" as they look it up

Last edited by Raphael2422; 03-19-2014 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:59 PM   #6
Llink78

Ceramic pads are a little louder when cold and not warmed up. On your next long drive see if they quite down after braking a few times. Also they should stop squealing after you bed/brake em in.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:09 AM   #7
Raphael2422

Yea it's definitely not the cold I don't think , living in south florida where it's so not most of the time lol but I also researched before what I could and did try the braking / bedding technique trying to speed up brake hard the whole nine yards. It's already been a week , not sure how long it takes to brake them in but it's still squealing as it did on day one only when I apply light pressure on the brakes slowing down as i press harder it goes away immediatly. At first I was cool with it thinking it'd go away or start to fade away but it's not at all. I guess maybe I should wait a little longer and see what happens before I replace the pads again along with the rotors this time, as I should have done orignally. , thank u vm for the quick replies by the way

Last edited by Raphael2422; 03-20-2014 at 12:29 AM.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:45 AM   #8
Raphael2422

If anyone else has anything to add any advice also be greatly appreciated ! Thank you !!
Old 03-20-2014, 01:02 AM   #9
Raphael2422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llink78 View Post
Ceramic pads are a little louder when cold and not warmed up. On your next long drive see if they quite down after braking a few times. Also they should stop squealing after you bed/brake em in.
Yea it's definitely not the cold I don't think , living in south florida where it's so not most of the time lol but I also researched before what I could and did try the braking / bedding technique trying to speed up brake hard the whole nine yards. It's already been a week , not sure how long it takes to brake them in but it's still squealing as it did on day one only when I apply light pressure on the brakes slowing down as i press harder it goes away immediatly. At first I was cool with it thinking it'd go away or start to fade away but it's not at all. I guess maybe I should wait a little longer and see what happens before I replace the pads again along with the rotors this time, as I should have done orignally. , thank u vm for the quick replies by the way
Old 04-01-2014, 12:43 PM   #10
inebriation

My Ride: 2002 330ci
You didn't put any grease on the rotors did you?? Did you clean them with brake cleaner? Old rotors will have tiny ridges in them from your old pads so it may just be something to do with them rubbing a different way. My ceramics are louder than normal sintered metal. Good luck!
inebriation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:52 PM   #11
Raphael2422

Quote:
Originally Posted by inebriation View Post
You didn't put any grease on the rotors did you?? Did you clean them with brake cleaner? Old rotors will have tiny ridges in them from your old pads so it may just be something to do with them rubbing a different way. My ceramics are louder than normal sintered metal. Good luck!
Ha didn't think this thread was still up , well about a week ago after not beig able to stand the squeal, my second try I replaced the rotors with wearever(as I should have in the beginning or at least turned them) as well as the pads again I went with wearever because I didn't want to use the newly worn pads I just bought two weeks ago when I tried the first squeaky brake job also wanted have same companies pad and rotors, luckily I put the newly worn pads I had just bought two weeks ago in the wearever box i picked up today and returned them to aap! All in all so far so good(day 6) I'm extremely satisfied, glad and proud to say no squeaks , brakes are perfect, smooth.

Last edited by Raphael2422; 04-01-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:06 AM   #12
2003silver330i

My Ride: 03 BMW 330i
This is an easy fix OP. Just take some 80 grit sand paper and place it on the floor. Next, take each brake pad and rub it back and forth on the sand paper till you remove all the dark or shiny glaze. Next, sand around the edges of each brake pad until they are rounded. Now install them and enjoy the quiet.

2003silver330i is offline   Reply With Quote