E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 11-11-2009, 12:20 PM   #121
bbhart

My Ride: 2003 325i
The 49-DL worked great for me, too (2003 325i). I'm not mechanically inclined but it was really a straightforward swap-out using the instructions in this thread. Make sure to pull out the white spacer from the bottom and hook up the vent tube. Went with a pack of playing cards on top to make up the difference in height.

Hardest part for me was that I dropped one of the bracket screws down into the battery compartment when unscrewing the old battery... forgot it was down there, put the new battery in place and got 'er all hooked up, then... d'oh. Curse, unhook everything, lift, fetch, replace, curse, done.
bbhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:11 PM   #122
tK715

My Ride: MUNI
Send a message via AIM to tK715
ok really stupid question:

how do I take that dang plastic cover off..The one covering the battery itself?! I took out the 2 plastic screws but something seems like its holding it from the other side. I can get it halfway off, but it doesn't seem to budge when I try pulling it out (I'm pulling pretty hard too)!

Sorry for the ignorant questions. Help?
tK715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:39 PM   #123
bikergeek

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by tK715 View Post
ok really stupid question:

how do I take that dang plastic cover off..The one covering the battery itself?! I took out the 2 plastic screws but something seems like its holding it from the other side. I can get it halfway off, but it doesn't seem to budge when I try pulling it out (I'm pulling pretty hard too)!

Sorry for the ignorant questions. Help?
The black plastic tray tucks under the grey inner trunk liner, so you have to disengage the two. It can be kinda tricky, but perservere and you will get it loose.
bikergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:42 AM   #124
ca1242

My Ride: 2003 330i
There is a piece of metal that goes into the right side of the tray, under the liner. You need to lift up the rightmost part of the tray and slide left.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:47 AM   #125
stolleee

My Ride: 2001 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1242 View Post
Depends on how "charged" the baterry is when you buy it. Typically, they are fully charged, so no need to do anything special. Easiest way to tell is the first time you start the car after installing the battery. If it starts right up, you are good. If it takes a bit longer than usual, you should charge it.
The myth of driving a car after installation is in fact just a myth. What should happen is to have the new battery charged (AutoZone will put it on the chargers in the store for 10 minutes). This practice is called "finished forming" which will make sure everything is great for a long time. The car's electrical system is designed to "maintain" the system and by putting a battery on (that is lets say 85-90% state of charge) you can hurt the system as it is trying to maintain everything and charge the battery.
stolleee
Old 11-30-2009, 10:33 AM   #126
tK715

My Ride: MUNI
Send a message via AIM to tK715
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikergeek View Post
The black plastic tray tucks under the grey inner trunk liner, so you have to disengage the two. It can be kinda tricky, but perservere and you will get it loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1242 View Post
There is a piece of metal that goes into the right side of the tray, under the liner. You need to lift up the rightmost part of the tray and slide left.

Great, I will try that! thx fellas!
tK715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:44 PM   #127
wot

My Ride: 325ci S320Cdi
Just one tip: NEVER SMOKE when replacing car battery!!!
wot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:20 PM   #128
bent00

My Ride: 325i
E46 Battery replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim30250 View Post
Not too much to it...

Go into the trunk and lift out the spare tire cover. Look all the way to the right and note the plastic battery cover. Remove the two plastic screws holding it down with a flathead screwdriver. Then lift the battery cover off. Battery will now be exposed. Remove the plastic cover over the positive terminal. You should be able to do this with your bare hands. Using a wrench or a socket (10mm IIRC) loosen and remove the negative cable from the battery, and then the positive cable. Finally, there will be a tall screw that attaches the battery to the bottom of the battery tray. You can loosen this with a phillips head screwdriver. Lift out battery, and reverse directions for installation.

It's not a bad job at all. It shouldn't take any more than about 15 or 20 minutes tops, and you'll save over $100 vs. letting the dealership rip you off.

EDIT: I almost forgot, there is a rubber vent tube that will need to be disconnected between the part about the tall screw and lifting out the battery. This just simply pulls off, and you can just simply push it back on the new one. My tube was semi-hidden behind the battery, but it became clearly visible when I tilted the battery just before I lifted it up to remove it.
Our 2002 325i original battery was exhibiting the symptoms described in this forum (headlights flashing when trying to start), so after a jump, we went to the nearest Autozone in Oakland, bought a 49-DL, had the counter guy put it on the charger while I removed the old battery in the parking lot (brought my tool kit with me), took the old one in for the core refund, put in the new one according to the instructions in this thread, cinched a 1/2" piece of wood down to get a tight fit with the battery bracket, we were done in about 20 minutes. Thanks to this forum for giving the confidence and saving us the money over having someone else do it.
bent00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:41 AM   #129
CoolBean

My Ride: 2004 316i ES
I replaced my dead OEM battery with a Silver Bosch (sealed) one which was about 3 inches shorter in length and a fair bit lighter than the original. Vent hose is dangling now, but perfectly fine after doing about 1000 miles in the past week.

Nearly gave myself a hernia lifting that old yoke out and dragging it in the shop for disposal...

That info that the guy in the shop said about unsealed batteries emitting hydrogen when charged is true. I tried to resuscitate my OEM after leaving the car in storage for 9 months. My hallway smelled awful after 10 mins, and yes that Hindenburg scenario could happen! So perhaps a sealed battery is best here?

Only thing I had to reset was the clock, and the EML light was on for a short while after changing the battery. All gone now

Just need to put on the battery holder now, although it's be fine without since the change.

I dunno what some of you are saying about the plastic tray being hard to remove is all about. If you think about it, it's a good thing that it's securely fastened and sealed. You don't want any rain water etc dripping through.

After fixing a few things in the car, I noticed that everything they have put in it has a purpose and works perfectly as designed. They sure know how to build a car (and tune engines for that matter) even though they speak a dodgy language

Japanese and German cars are all I'd ever buy from now on.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:24 PM   #130
kurahee

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Hi all.

Replacing my battery tomorrow, and I did the autozone website search. They pointed to the duralast 94R-DLG. Has anyone used this one and/or recommend it over the 49-DL?

Thanks!

Last edited by kurahee; 04-18-2010 at 01:15 PM.
kurahee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:05 PM   #131
kurahee

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurahee View Post
Hi all.

Replacing my battery tomorrow, and I did the autozone website search. They pointed to the duralast 94R-DLG. Has anyone used this one and/or recommend it over the 49-DL?

Thanks!

Did the replacement this afternoon.

49-DL was the battery I purchased, and replacement went without a hitch.

Good thread!
kurahee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:30 PM   #132
weigun

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Send a message via Skype™ to weigun
Just a information

Battery Selector:
http://www.autobatteries.com/selector/index.asp
weigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:12 AM   #133
catso

My Ride: 2000 323i 1988 528e
Wallyworld Everstart 94RN battery; 3/8 yr warranty, $75-$80 cost. Identical to OEM. No modification neccessary.
catso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:46 PM   #134
HellRaiser1

My Ride: 2004 M3
This thread is awesome!

Went to autozone, gave them my vehicle information, and they provided me w/ a duralast 49D. Except it wasn't $70 like you guys say; it was $144!

Oh well.
HellRaiser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:50 PM   #135
djnekkon

My Ride: MB3ci & z33 HR
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaiser1 View Post
This thread is awesome!

Went to autozone, gave them my vehicle information, and they provided me w/ a duralast 49D. Except it wasn't $70 like you guys say; it was $144!

Oh well.
You got ripped!! my friend.

djnekkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:06 PM   #136
r2d2

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaiser1 View Post
This thread is awesome!

Oh well.
ouuuuuch
Old 05-30-2010, 03:44 PM   #137
Elkhound
Banned

My Ride: 2003 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim30250 View Post
Not too much to it...

EDIT: I almost forgot, there is a rubber vent tube that will need to be disconnected between the part about the tall screw and lifting out the battery. This just simply pulls off, and you can just simply push it back on the new one. My tube was semi-hidden behind the battery, but it became clearly visible when I tilted the battery just before I lifted it up to remove it.
I replaced the battery. All went well. The car even seems to accelerate better now. Question.. I accidentally pulled the venting tube right out of the side of the car. And then realizing what I did, shoved it back into the hole it came out of.. Any idea if the end of the tube is attached to anything inside the chassis of the car?? I'm hoping not, as I don't want to leave it like that if it is supposed to be attached to something in there in order to vent properly..
Elkhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:04 PM   #138
stapler12345

My Ride: Sakhir Orange M6
do i need an insulated ratchet to remove the battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post
I've never heard of a woman wanting more than she actually deserved. Never.
stapler12345 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:53 PM   #139
catso

You don't even need a ratchet. The tools in the trunk lid are enough. Make sure you disconnect the negative terminal first.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:56 PM   #140
catso

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2d2 View Post
ouuuuuch
Wallyworld Everlast 94RN battery, 3/8 yr. warranty. Exact fit, no modification neccessary. Much better option than Azone. I've had one for 7 months, works perfect.