E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-02-2005, 09:38 PM   #21
ADA
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ethiopia
Posts: 2,520
My Ride: 323ci
TIPS when running connecting your wiring harness A:

strap the wiring harnes with "strip ties/multi-purpose ties." Secure them to exisiting electrical wires that runs undeneath your car.

running the wiring harness through your firewall might be a little tricky. The easies part method is to run a small wire through the firewall. Attached the small wire to the wiring harness and use the small wire to pull the wiring harness through.

Installing the wiring harness took about an hour. It is very straight forward. No tricky part whatsoever.

That is it. More updates soon. Next update I will address making the WIRING HARNESS B. I am 90% complete.

Last edited by ADA; 07-02-2005 at 09:43 PM.
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 09:42 PM   #22
ADA
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ethiopia
Posts: 2,520
My Ride: 323ci
My orginally intent was to post a step by step (A-B-C, 1,2,3) type of DIY to this auto-leveling retrofit. However, because of reasons I posted earlier and due to time constraint I opted not to.

Following the BMW retrofit guide and you should be good to go. However, if you have any questions, feel free to contact me and I will be more happy to answer your questions and provide any assitance to you.


For those members that either lives in Bay Area in CA or Central Texas I will do the retrofit for you for free. You buy the parts and you buy me dinner and plenty of snacks and drinks during the install.
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 01:01 AM   #23
einfahrt
SLOW ACS
 
einfahrt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Hanau, Germany Posts: 24,587,654
Posts: 93
My Ride: 02 325iT; 06.5 GTI
hey bill, glad to see i could help you and alex out with the wires. just to let everyone know, it will cost about $85 if you buy them from the place bill posted unless you have a friend in germany. It was cheaper for them to have it shipped twice express than ship direct. let me know if you need anything bill!!

great job with the retrofit . is alex going to start his soon?
einfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 04:04 PM   #24
Ausfahrt
Groccery Getter
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Misery & NY/NJ/CT Posts: 9999999999999999
Posts: 970
My Ride: Touring/550
Send a message via AIM to Ausfahrt
Quote:
Originally Posted by einfahrt
hey bill, glad to see i could help you and alex out with the wires. just to let everyone know, it will cost about $85 if you buy them from the place bill posted unless you have a friend in germany. It was cheaper for them to have it shipped twice express than ship direct. let me know if you need anything bill!!

great job with the retrofit . is alex going to start his soon?

Thanks Craig.......I got it installed already. I'm still missing that wire that will make the headlight go up and down when you turn on your car. Remember that picture I took in back of the headlight with that plug that has a missing wire? Well, I need those wires for the left and right headlight.
Ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 04:20 PM   #25
ADA
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ethiopia
Posts: 2,520
My Ride: 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausfahrt
Thanks Craig.......I got it installed already. I'm still missing that wire that will make the headlight go up and down when you turn on your car. Remember that picture I took in back of the headlight with that plug that has a missing wire? Well, I need those wires for the left and right headlight.

Alex, you and I have the same problem. Do not fret my twinkie friend because I have a solution to our problems. I ordered the brushing contact/pin and the plastic connectors. We can make our own wires, It is very simple. Just four cables per headlights. One end connects to the headlight and the other ends connects to the LCM. AFter that we are done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 04:25 PM   #26
Ausfahrt
Groccery Getter
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Misery & NY/NJ/CT Posts: 9999999999999999
Posts: 970
My Ride: Touring/550
Send a message via AIM to Ausfahrt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA
Alex, you and I have the same problem. Do not fret my twinkie friend because I have a solution to our problems. I ordered the brushing contact/pin and the plastic connectors. We can make our own wires, It is very simple. Just four cables per headlights. One end connects to the headlight and the other ends connects to the LCM. AFter that we are done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
just let me know where u got the brushing contact/pin or if you have the P/N. Thanks

Last edited by Ausfahrt; 07-08-2005 at 04:32 PM.
Ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 01:06 PM   #27
ADA
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ethiopia
Posts: 2,520
My Ride: 323ci
UPDATE:

TO make "wiring harness B" (connects LCM to Headlight) you need the following parts:

8 headlight brushing contact (61-13-0-005-199) (red circle)
8 LCM brushing contact (61-13-0-008-998) (Blue Circle)
2 connectors/plugs (61-13-8-365-354)
Electrical wire from Radio Shack or any electronic place
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 01:08 PM   #28
ADA
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ethiopia
Posts: 2,520
My Ride: 323ci
Here is the picture of the plug housing/connectors/plug
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 01:37 PM   #29
russ330
Mod Squad
 
russ330's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Mississippi's Gulf Coast
Posts: 15,802
My Ride: Motorsport III
Send a message via AIM to russ330
Hopefully this thread will help you out with posting pictures: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...highlight=post

I unfortunately have since deleted my example pictures, but perhaps the text alone will aid you. Shoot me a PM if you need more assistance.
__________________
russ330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 01:41 PM   #30
Ausfahrt
Groccery Getter
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Misery & NY/NJ/CT Posts: 9999999999999999
Posts: 970
My Ride: Touring/550
Send a message via AIM to Ausfahrt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA
Here is the picture of the plug housing/connectors/plug

Thanks Bill, I got the plug housing/connectors/plug already. As for the wires I need to get those. Did you figure out where the other end plugs into? I dont have the wires yet so I cant look at where it goes into. Does it plug into the LCM or into the LCM plug conectors/wires?

Last edited by Ausfahrt; 07-09-2005 at 01:44 PM.
Ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 01:56 PM   #31
ADA
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ethiopia
Posts: 2,520
My Ride: 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausfahrt
Thanks Bill, I got the plug housing/connectors/plug already. As for the wires I need to get those. Did you figure out where the other end plugs into? I dont have the wires yet so I cant look at where it goes into. Does it plug into the LCM or into the LCM plug conectors/wires?

Alex,

I haven't wire anything to my LCM yet. I haven't have the time. So I am not sure if it (wiring harness) connects to the LCM or to the LCM plug connectors.

However, what I do know is the pin layout. Maybe with the pin layout we can determine the answer to our question. I haven't remove my LCM yet so I don't know. If I would to guess I think the other end of the wiring harness connects to the LCM plug connector.

LCM/LKM PIN LAYOUT (actuator/auto-level motor)

PIN 39 Q22 LEFT headlight actuator/motor
PIN 40 Q11 LEFT headlight actuator/motor
PIN 41 Q12 LEFT headlight actuator/motor
PIN 42 Q21 LEFT headlight actuator/motor

PIN 51 Q22 RIGHT headlight actuator/motor
PIN 52 Q11 RIGHT headlight actuator/motor
PIN 53 Q12 RIGHT headlight actuator/motor
PIN 54 Q21 RIGHT headlight actuator/motor

Last edited by ADA; 07-09-2005 at 02:02 PM.
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 01:57 PM   #32
ADA
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ethiopia
Posts: 2,520
My Ride: 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330
Hopefully this thread will help you out with posting pictures: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...highlight=post

I unfortunately have since deleted my example pictures, but perhaps the text alone will aid you. Shoot me a PM if you need more assistance.

THANK YOU RUSS!
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 02:03 PM   #33
russ330
Mod Squad
 
russ330's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Mississippi's Gulf Coast
Posts: 15,802
My Ride: Motorsport III
Send a message via AIM to russ330
^Glad I could of assistance.
__________________
russ330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 02:05 PM   #34
ADA
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ethiopia
Posts: 2,520
My Ride: 323ci
Another issue that I am forecasting is the pin layout for the auto-level motor plug housing for the headlight.

I know that there are four active wires per headlight. However, I don't know the pin layout for the plug housing.

Can anyone help?

PS. Alex, maybe you can have some of your friends take a close up picture of their plug housing/wiring
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 05:57 PM   #35
Ausfahrt
Groccery Getter
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Misery & NY/NJ/CT Posts: 9999999999999999
Posts: 970
My Ride: Touring/550
Send a message via AIM to Ausfahrt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA
Another issue that I am forecasting is the pin layout for the auto-level motor plug housing for the headlight.

I know that there are four active wires per headlight. However, I don't know the pin layout for the plug housing.

Can anyone help?

PS. Alex, maybe you can have some of your friends take a close up picture of their plug housing/wiring

I'm hooking up with Dennis (Truwon) tomorrow so we can look at his wires for his Xenon's. I'm going to take pics of the wires/pin layout behind his headlights and look where those wires go to. The plug that goes behind the headlight has labels from 1-4 so it should be easy especially when the wires are colored. I'll look at his LCM and see where those wires hook plug into.

Last edited by Ausfahrt; 07-09-2005 at 06:01 PM.
Ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 07:21 AM   #36
einfahrt
SLOW ACS
 
einfahrt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Hanau, Germany Posts: 24,587,654
Posts: 93
My Ride: 02 325iT; 06.5 GTI
Sorry I haven't responded lately I've been moving into a new house over here. Your going to come over Alex for a little while and visit. since I am moving my cpu is down and I have on comms. Bill, Alex let me know if I can help in any way!
einfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 12:34 PM   #37
ADA
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ethiopia
Posts: 2,520
My Ride: 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by einfahrt
Sorry I haven't responded lately I've been moving into a new house over here. Your going to come over Alex for a little while and visit. since I am moving my cpu is down and I have on comms. Bill, Alex let me know if I can help in any way!

Craig,


Thanx for your help. Without you, this DIY won't be possible. All I am waiting now is for Alex to get off his lazy ass and take some pictures for me.

P.S.

I need to get stationed back to Germany so I can buy the e90 with the military sales program.

I used to live in Damstadt.
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 12:39 PM   #38
Tommy_hf
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 1,227
My Ride: '03 ci
Darmstadt? Wow, then instead of going to the dealerships, go to Rodermark, to visit Dbilas Dynamic. They have quite some know-how on real performance tuning
__________________
Tommy_hf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 06:39 PM   #39
Ausfahrt
Groccery Getter
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Misery & NY/NJ/CT Posts: 9999999999999999
Posts: 970
My Ride: Touring/550
Send a message via AIM to Ausfahrt
Here are the pctures

Bill make sure you remove the panel underneath the steering wheel so you can push the wire up when you pull out the LCM. Here you go you impatient fock.
Ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 06:42 PM   #40
Ausfahrt
Groccery Getter
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Misery & NY/NJ/CT Posts: 9999999999999999
Posts: 970
My Ride: Touring/550
Send a message via AIM to Ausfahrt
re:LCM

Here's more my asian brother. Note there are numbers on the side of the plastic piece that holds the wires. The wires corresponds to the wires to the headlights.

Last edited by Ausfahrt; 07-10-2005 at 07:01 PM.
Ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use