E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-24-2005, 09:42 AM   #81
JCsE46
(oOO \ (||||)(||||) / OOo)

My Ride: 03 E46 JB, 08 MBE350
Send a message via AIM to JCsE46 Send a message via MSN to JCsE46
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo1961
Check at the back of your headlights, you have already wired your lights to activate the bi-xenon shutter, so you may have another spare connector for the auto level motor. My car has already got this harness used for manual levelling of the original halogens. The connector is right next to the manual adjust knob at the top facing towards the rear of the car. There are four wires connected to this on my car. Good news about not having to replace the LCM I was worried about that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA
To the best of my understand ALL OEM XENON (and even some version of the Projector46) has the auto-leving motor and connector built into the headlight assemblies. However, whether your car is pre-wired for the leveling system is unknown.
Oh, that's what you, guys, meant about pre-wired. I though it was something else. Yeah, there's an extra connector port for the autolevel function on each of my bixenon headlights. Thanks for clarifying it.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:48 PM   #82
turbof128

My Ride: M3
Send a message via AIM to turbof128
what happened to the pictures? I'm trying to determine which part of my leveling in the front pass. side is broken.
turbof128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 08:21 PM   #83
JCsE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbof128
what happened to the pictures? I'm trying to determine which part of my leveling in the front pass. side is broken.
I have asked the same thing but no one care to response.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:14 AM   #84
evo1961

My Ride: E46 330 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCsE46
I have asked the same thing but no one care to response.
Guys, where are the pics gone?!!!
evo1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 09:56 AM   #85
geroz1

My Ride: e90 335i auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbof128
anybody knows or has a diagram for connecting the wires for the Wiring harness B?

colors to numbers?
geroz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 12:21 PM   #86
kneb

My Ride: 1987 325e
Send a message via AIM to kneb
Sorry to bring back this old thread, but I found a document that goes step by step to complete this install. It is, however, missing part numbers, which ADA has generously provided.

http://www.kneb.net/bmw/E46 - Xenon headlight retrofit with auto leveling.pdf
Old 02-28-2006, 04:24 PM   #87
bmw_chuzo

My Ride: HPF M3
Send a message via MSN to bmw_chuzo
nice
Old 03-01-2006, 07:39 AM   #88
tanev

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325i
Question Just Completed the Auto-leveling Retrofit- now how do I confirm that is working?

After about 3 weeks of reading and finding the parts (got one of the harnesses ordered from Germany and made the other myself) I finally did the retrofit this past weekend.
What a PITA :-(.
If you decide to do the retrofit the OEM way (according to the BMW document attached by previous poster) you are in for a major "treat". Not because it is impossible to do but because the instructions are pretty bad and passing the harness under the sills/carpet and front right footweel is a major PITA.
Well it is done now. And it is done exactly as it would have been done the OEM way.
However, I am having difficulty confirming that it is working. Here are couple of questions for those that had it done:
1.) Once you do the hi-beam (bi-xenons) retrofit and coding to enable do you hae to do additional coding to enable the auto-leveling?
2.) What is the most effective way to confirm that autoleveling is working? I am tempted to detach the sensor arm turn the linghts on and move the arm arround to see if it will trigger a change?

Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Peter
2005 BMW 325i, ZPP, ZSP, Retrofits: M3 SMG Steering wheel with paddleshift, OEM Bi-xenons +High beam+ Autoleveling, Predator Chromium, OEM (16:9/MKIV) Navigation, OEM TV/Video Module/Option, Assist/Bluetooth+ Voice Input Control, Universal Tranceiver, OEM Alarm, Alpine CHA-634 6CD/MP3 Changer, OEM Rear Side and Manually Retractable Rear Window Sunshades, Myrtle Wood emergency brake handle, OEM rear lip spoiler.
tanev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 09:42 AM   #89
kneb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanev
After about 3 weeks of reading and finding the parts (got one of the harnesses ordered from Germany and made the other myself) I finally did the retrofit this past weekend.
What a PITA :-(.
If you decide to do the retrofit the OEM way (according to the BMW document attached by previous poster) you are in for a major "treat". Not because it is impossible to do but because the instructions are pretty bad and passing the harness under the sills/carpet and front right footweel is a major PITA.
Well it is done now. And it is done exactly as it would have been done the OEM way.
However, I am having difficulty confirming that it is working. Here are couple of questions for those that had it done:
1.) Once you do the hi-beam (bi-xenons) retrofit and coding to enable do you hae to do additional coding to enable the auto-leveling?
2.) What is the most effective way to confirm that autoleveling is working? I am tempted to detach the sensor arm turn the linghts on and move the arm arround to see if it will trigger a change?

Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Peter
Hi Peter,
Yeah, that document was meant for BMW Centres and mechanics and is pretty cryptic. I had to re-read a sentence 4 times before it started making a little bit of sense. I simply provided it as a reference (since it includes wiring diagrams and pinouts) and as an additional source of information. It, by no means, is a holding-your-hand DIY with clear colour pictures and little arrows. I'm sorry I don't have the time to make that type of DIY for everyone, but I would if I could.

As for your questions:
1) The way I understand it, you either have the LKM (aka LCM) that does auto-leveling, or you don't. I took apart my LKM and traced the pins responsible for auto-leveling on the circuit board. It looks to me that there are electrical components (resistors, capacitors, transistors, etc.) that are missing and should be connected to those pins in question. I don't have another LKM to compare with, so I'm stuck in that regard. Changing software versions (flashing) is a lot easier than changing the hardware. The LKM I own is part number 61 31 6 901 432.
2) Doing what you write above will definitely tell you if the motors are aiming the lights up or down. The .PDF I found says you can put all your weight on the rear end and you will see the lights re-aim after 15 seconds. You should also see the lights auto-adjust all the way up and down as soon as you turn on the vehicle.

I'm currently involved in this retrofit (I got my headlight housings, but no wiring, connectors, or motors) and am eager to find out how you get on. Please let me know.

Thanks,
Ben
Old 03-02-2006, 05:56 AM   #90
ADA
Banned

My Ride: 323ci
maybe your wiring is off. You shouldn't be cheap dude. Did you buy the wiring harness from Ausharft or whatever his name was? He provides the wiring harness at a very REASONABLE PRICE and it even provides an in-dept DIY.

Don't re-invent the wheel. Listen and follow the guidance from people that actually successfully completed the retrofit.

Sadly I am currently in Iraq right now so my hands are tied. If I remembered correctly, I even offered you a FREE INSTALLATION (without any catch) but you declined. There was nothing in it for me. All I wanted was to help out anther TX fanatic.
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 07:49 AM   #91
tanev

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA
maybe your wiring is off. You shouldn't be cheap dude. Did you buy the wiring harness from Ausharft or whatever his name was? He provides the wiring harness at a very REASONABLE PRICE and it even provides an in-dept DIY.

Don't re-invent the wheel. Listen and follow the guidance from people that actually successfully completed the retrofit.

Sadly I am currently in Iraq right now so my hands are tied. If I remembered correctly, I even offered you a FREE INSTALLATION (without any catch) but you declined. There was nothing in it for me. All I wanted was to help out anther TX fanatic.
ADA,
Chill out man/please no flaming. I have respect for what you have done, it will be nice if you have some respect about what other people are trying to do too. I am in this for the same trill that you are in for ;-)

Is it possible that my wiring is off? Yes, anything is possible but it is unlikely since I have already checked it. I think that what the previous poster than you is suggesting is most likely the reason for my problem (may need to change LCM). Currently checking on it.

As to the "cheap", you have not seen the harnesses that I have made and installed on my car in the past. If you had the chance you may have been surprized and call it OEM quality too. :-) I see no reason to pay $60 for harness that I could made my self from OEM components for $5-10.

Yes, your offer was very generous, and apreciate it very much but as I explained before: (i) I am in this for the same trill as you and (ii) I have 2 small kids that demand my full attention during weekends. It was inpossible for me to travel to your location. I do my mods when they sleap :-) (iii) I don't consider making a good quality harness and conecting it a rocket sience.

I will eventually have this retrofit completed and could post some pictures for those interested.
Thanks,
Peter
2005 BMW 325i, ZPP, ZSP, Retrofits: M3 SMG Steering wheel with paddleshift, OEM Bi-xenons +High beam+ Autoleveling, Predator Chromium, OEM (16:9/MKIV) Navigation, OEM TV/Video Module/Option, Assist/Bluetooth+ Voice Input Control, Universal Tranceiver, OEM Alarm, Alpine CHA-634 6CD/MP3 Changer, OEM Rear Side and Manually Retractable Rear Window Sunshades, Myrtle Wood emergency brake handle, OEM rear lip spoiler.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:26 AM   #92
ADA
Banned

My Ride: 323ci
TAVNEV,

Sorry for the flame. that wasn't my intention. Check this out. I am coming home from R&R on MAR 18 back to Fort Hood, TX.

I will be in central texas for 2 days (max) before I drive to California. If you are free from MAR 18-MAR20 let me know. The only catch is that you have to drive from DALLAS to Killeen (1.5 hr drive). I will buy lunch.

PM for e-mail address
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:32 AM   #93
tanev

Smile

ADA,
Thanks for the positive responce and the very generous offer. If I don't have it done by then, I will try to drive to your place (if my schedule permits) and if I do, the lunch is on me. In the mean time, I have a question for you and all other people that have successfully finished this retrofit (headlights are moving up and down uopn startup). Did you have to change your LCM to the one that according to the ETK is for xenon headlights and autoleveling? If not, then did your original LCM require a reflash to enable the autoleveling or not?
Thanks very much again,
Peter Tanev

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA
TANEV,

Sorry for the flame. that wasn't my intention. Check this out. I am coming home from R&R on MAR 18 back to Fort Hood, TX.

I will be in central texas for 2 days (max) before I drive to California. If you are free from MAR 18-MAR20 let me know. The only catch is that you have to drive from DALLAS to Killeen (1.5 hr drive). I will buy lunch.

PM for e-mail address
Old 03-05-2006, 06:21 PM   #94
JCsE46

Quote:
ADA,
Thanks for the positive responce and the very generous offer. If I don't have it done by then, I will try to drive to your place (if my schedule permits) and if I do, the lunch is on me. In the mean time, I have a question for you and all other people that have successfully finished this retrofit (headlights are moving up and down uopn startup). Did you have to change your LCM to the one that according to the ETK is for xenon headlights and autoleveling? If not, then did your original LCM require a reflash to enable the autoleveling or not?
Thanks very much again,
Peter Tanev
I need to know about this too. I have abandoned this project after I've done the installation of the wiring (bought harness A from Ausfahrt and harness B from BMW UK), the autolevel function did not materialize so I figure I probably need a new LCM/LKM. But since I didn't have time to find it more, I abandoned the project. But ADA can shed some light on what went wrong, I am eager to listen.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:39 PM   #95
tanev

Hmm,
It begins to look like not that many people completed the retrofit to the point to have the autoleeling function enabled. Other than ADA, Aushfahrt (not sure I am spelling it right) and probably 1-2 other people I doubt that there are many more. I have checked my ETK and it looks like my LCM is not listed for xenon. I talked to 2 friends of mine that work at the dealership and one of them (assistant manager of parts) told me that he had a customer that did the retrofit on 5 series and ended up buying a new LCM and reflashing.
I am also curious to see what others have to say. Very soon I will borrow an LCM from the dealeship and will know the answer.
Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCsE46
I need to know about this too. I have abandoned this project after I've done the installation of the wiring (bought harness A from Ausfahrt and harness B from BMW UK), the autolevel function did not materialize so I figure I probably need a new LCM/LKM. But since I didn't have time to find it more, I abandoned the project. But ADA can shed some light on what went wrong, I am eager to listen.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:35 AM   #96
kneb

Quote:
ADA,
Thanks very much again,
Peter Tanev
I just put in my Xenon housings yesterday, and my leveling sensors are on order. I will be working on wiring the sensors this weekend. If the LCM won't adjust the lights at that time, I'm going to buy another LCM marked specifically for Xenon lamps. I will continue posting to this thread as information becomes available.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:18 PM   #97
Ceeray

My Ride: 325ci -05
..sorry to pop up and derail your discussion, but has anyone of you ever checked out /heard about Hella`s retrofit autolevelling? It uses infrared sensors and is pretty easy to install what I have read. So it would permit using aftermarket lights and still get autolevelling..
Ceeray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 10:54 PM   #98
JCsE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceeray
..sorry to pop up and derail your discussion, but has anyone of you ever checked out /heard about Hella`s retrofit autolevelling? It uses infrared sensors and is pretty easy to install what I have read. So it would permit using aftermarket lights and still get autolevelling..
Any link that you can share with us on what you talking about?
Old 03-11-2006, 12:52 AM   #99
Ceeray

My Ride: 325ci -05
http://www.xenonautovalot.fi/allkit.htm

Sorry its Finnish, but check the pics, it seems its Hella's product, ultrasonic levelling.. I said wrong in earlier post claiming it was infrared...

use words ultrasonic headlamp levelling and you find out more. Initially its ment for mobile home xenon retrofitting but who cares if its used on smaller cars?

Last edited by Ceeray; 03-11-2006 at 12:56 AM.
Ceeray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 12:04 PM   #100
kneb

Okay, I got a whole bag of parts from Tischer BMW in Silver Spring, Maryland, on Saturday and had a few surprises. I exclusively used the parts list in post #2 of this thread without double-checking, and that was a mistake. Nearly all of the mechanical stuff was there, but the electronics were severly lacking. I was also surprised by the dealer because my new LCM wasn't there. Seems like they put it on the slow boat from Germany and will be here for the continuation this upcoming weekend.

Here are my suggested changes:
  • Do not order 2 contacts (p/n 61 13 0 007 272) since they do not fit with anything in this project and are not needed here at all.
  • Add another 6mm self-locking hex nut (p/n 07 11 9 900 908) to the four already on the list. You'll need this to go with the next addition.
  • Add a generic 10mm M6 bolt (I used an extra 323i ignition coil bolt, p/n 07 11 9 913 110). It is a little long, so if you find something shorter that works, use it instead.
  • The contacts for the LCM were not included at all. Order 14 contacts (p/n 61 13 0 008 998) to go with the pinout defined in post #1 of this thread.
  • Take the little black rubber boots off of all 8 contacts (p/n 61 13 0 005 199) and crimp the pins tight again. They will not fit into the connector (p/n 61 13 8 365 356), or at least they didn't for me. It would be a good idea to seal them up with heat shrink tubing or electrical tape around the whole thing to replace the boots.
  • Fabric tape is expensive but available (p/n 61 13 6 920 760) to make your wiring look slick and professional.

Some pictures I snapped are available here: http://www.kneb.net/v/Cars/album_001/

The way I assembled the rear sensor (p/n 37 14 1 093 700) on my desk is INCORRECT. I re-assembled it underneath the car according to the little outline diagram in the .PDF instructions I found. The way it is installed on the vehicle is correct. Sorry I don't have a more explicit picture of the proper assembly.

Until next weekend I guess.........

Last edited by kneb; 03-13-2006 at 12:14 PM.
kneb is offline   Reply With Quote