E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 40 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:03 PM   #181
ikk

My Ride: 2003 M3
Are you offering any discount if you purchase a porter cable with any of your kits. I was looking at your Klasse Kit or the FMJ kit.
ikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 09:35 PM   #182
parker

My Ride: 2002 330i
Porter cable and pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Yep, we're in the process of putting pads on our site, we stock the Lake Country line... Realistically the 3 pads you need are Orange - Cutting Pad, White - Polishing Pad, Black - Finishing Pad... If your dead set on getting the green or blue we can order those for you as well, but honestly you'd be better off with 2-3 White Polishing Pads instead of the Green and Blue.

BTW you mentioned a PC Random Orbit and posted a DeWalt Rotary

*Edit Pic Changed - I can do the whole bundle:

PC 7424
5" Velcro Backing Plate
2 White Polishing Pads
1 Orange Cutting Pad
1 Black Finishing Pad
2 Snappy Cleans
4 Microfiber Towels

For $189.95

PM me for a pricing on the PC Pad bundles since they aren't on our site. Let me know which colors you are interested in and how many...

George
I bought a bunch of products from you, claybar w/ detail spray, Poorboys SSR 2.5 and 1, Final Touch Glaze, Full Molecular Jacket and wax. Jet Black car. Big improvement, but not perfection. Did it by hand. After reading the thread, I figure Porter Cable will help. What can you do the following package for:

PC 7424
5" Velcro Backing Plate
3 White Polishing Pads
1 Orange Cutting Pad
1 Black Finishing Pad
parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 09:46 PM   #183
Detailed Image
Sponsor

My Ride: Audi S4
Send a message via AIM to Detailed Image
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr10smith
OK so I ordered some Klasse. Now I have a few questions about application. I have read that I should apply the product to the entire car before wiping it off and I have heard apply to a small aread and then remove.

I was planning on using a microfiber cloth to spread and to polish. Will that work?

Any tips from people who have used Klasse in the past?

Thanks!
Which Klasse did you order? The AIO should be applied and removed right after you apply that section. The HGSG can be applied and let sit to help ease the removal process as it is rather difficult to remove. A small tip is to mist your microfiber with pure water or some quick detailing solution. The longer the HGSG sits the easier it is to remove. AIO once again apply and remove right away, no benefit to letting it sit.

Yes you will be fine using the MF.

AIO goes first then HGSG

AIO provides you with a layer of acrylic protection so if you wanted to layer anything other than the HGSG I'd suggest a carnauba wax on top for optimal look.

Hope that answers most of your ?s feel free to ask any more.

George

Wash & Dry Products, Clay Bars, Polishes, Sealants, and Waxes
10offe46 - Discount Code for 10% Off for e46fanatics members
Detail University - Detailing Enthusiast Discussion Forum
Detailed Image is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 09:53 PM   #184
Detailed Image
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by parker
I bought a bunch of products from you, claybar w/ detail spray, Poorboys SSR 2.5 and 1, Final Touch Glaze, Full Molecular Jacket and wax. Jet Black car. Big improvement, but not perfection. Did it by hand. After reading the thread, I figure Porter Cable will help. What can you do the following package for:

PC 7424
5" Velcro Backing Plate
3 White Polishing Pads
1 Orange Cutting Pad
1 Black Finishing Pad
The best kit is the one I put together on the post you quoted. If you want to sub out the MF and Snappy Clean for another pad I can shave off another $10, but that is a very good price on the bundle. Or add another pad to the bundle for an additional $7, whatever you want to do.

So everythink you listed for $175 or add a pad to our existing kit for $192 (pads normally sell for $9.99/ea)

George

Old 08-16-2005, 11:58 AM   #185
a2theb
Rollin' in the family wagon

My Ride: '03 325iT, '02 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to a2theb

Just got my packages, yes, 2 boxes from Detailed Image. to these guys. Quality packaging and customer service!! I'll be defintely purchasing again!

'03 325iT - Steel Grey : Stock, Coming soon - M3 bumper, DIY custom ICE install and too many to list...
For now DDEs, corner delete w/ LEDs, AFE, strut bar and tints..
a2theb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 01:41 PM   #186
BayerischeMW
Man with No Name

My Ride: '07 E92 335i
how long time should pass after applying Klasse AIO before i can apply a coat of Menzerna FMJ?

and likewise, how long should i wait after applying Menzerna FMJ before i apply a coat of P21s Carnauba?

i guess my question is, how long should Klasse AIO and Menzerna FMJ cure (not dry)?

"if you wanna be king of the ring, this is the kind of car you should get" -M3 CSL
"there's no replacement for displacement" - only BMW ///M
BayerischeMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 01:54 PM   #187
Detailed Image
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayerischeMW
how long time should pass after applying Klasse AIO before i can apply a coat of Menzerna FMJ?

and likewise, how long should i wait after applying Menzerna FMJ before i apply a coat of P21s Carnauba?

i guess my question is, how long should Klasse AIO and Menzerna FMJ cure (not dry)?
I've personally talked to Bob from Klasse and he states you can layer the sealant directly over the AIO. If you plan on layering the sealant though, from my experiences and talking to other 6-12 hrs between coats is ideal, with diminishing times after that.

First time between coats 6-12 hrs, 2nd time maybe 4-6, 3rd maybe 2-4 ... and so on... this is for layering the same product, such as FMJ or Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze.

There's so many different discussions on cure time but bottom line, the longer you can wait the better. It comes down to balancing do I want this to be a 5 day detail or 1-2 days. Also I think ~70 degrees is optimal cure temp.

Hope that clears some things up.

George

Old 08-16-2005, 02:12 PM   #188
BayerischeMW
Man with No Name

excellent George! thanks a lot

"if you wanna be king of the ring, this is the kind of car you should get" -M3 CSL
Old 08-17-2005, 09:41 AM   #189
zbeam3

My Ride: VQ35
Scratch question

I've just notched 2 scratches on my car. They are about 2-3 inches long and are scraped down the the primer. On a steel grey car it looks pretty bad, I want to touch this up but I don't want it to look like crap...any recommendations?

Thanks.
zbeam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 10:07 AM   #190
Lugnut2683

My Ride: Lotus Elise
Send a message via AIM to Lugnut2683
Greg & George -

Got a different detailing question for you. I purchased my BMW used, and when I did, there were some small scratches on the INSIDE of the windshield. For whatever reason (a couple years later ), they are starting to really bug me. It looked like someone attempted to scrape off an inspection sticker and scratched the windshield in the process. My fingernails do NOT catch the scratches when I rub them, so I think it might be possible to polish them out. What glass polish would you recommened? I'm asking because a lot of glass polishes say to NOT use them on the inside of your windshield. Thanks for your advice!

DIY Garage Build (Updated November 18, 2009):

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=297607
Lugnut2683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 01:25 PM   #191
1999 TV Dinan M

My Ride: a car
bump, since this is still not a sticky..
1999 TV Dinan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 07:07 AM   #192
TJS///M3

My Ride: 05 ZCP ILB/Cinn
I will /bump as well.

Here is my first question: I have a new car, about 3 weeks old. What would you recommend for the best paint protection with a deep shine? I dont have any swirls in my blue paint, so should I be looking at say a glaze and then wax to go over the top? I'm seriously considering purchase of a PC 7424 for application, but the amount of pads/bonnets available for it are crazy. Hard to figure out what you should use with what. I did post over on your detailing seminar thread, I would be most interested in that if you decide to go forward with it.

Second question: How would you deal with dust? Sometimes I have to travel a short distance over a dirt road, and the back of the car gets dusty. Is there another way to deal with it without washing? Are CA car dusters really that bad?

And I agree, this thread should be a Sticky! What's up with that?
TJS///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 07:51 AM   #193
BayerischeMW
Man with No Name

i've sent you an e-mail containing my basket George

Old 09-02-2005, 10:14 AM   #194
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
BayerischeMW - George has responded to your message.
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 10:14 AM   #195
Greg@DetailedImage.com

TJS///M3 - Glad to hear your going to take care of your new car from the beginning. Many people till there car has swirls and scratches before they want to do something for the car. My favorite sealant is the Menzerna Full Molecular Jacket (FMJ). This sealant gives you amazing protection against more than just rain. It was designed to repel rain, snow, ice, pollution, acid rain and more. The Germans who engineered this product are as serious as the ones who make the BMW's. They are determined to develop the most well rounded product possible. On top of the protection I feel the shine from the FMJ is only rivaled by Carnauba Waxes that offer little to no protection. Also this is the easiest sealant I've ever used to apply and remove. It goes on very smooth and comes off very easily with no flaking. I also normally use one ounce or less to do an entire car. Therefore on a per use basis this product is relatively inexpensive especially considering the amazing results that come with it.

You can apply a glaze like the Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze that fills in scratches and swirls before you apply this sealant. The FTG gives a nice uniform finish and brilliant gloss. However since you said you have no swirls I would say its not necessary at this time.

To apply the sealant you would only need one pad and I would recommend removing it by hand with a plush microfiber towel. To apply the Porter Cable you will need a finishing pad (black color and from lake country). This pad is meant for applying sealants and waxes. If you purchase the Porter Cable from us I'll swap out the (white) polishing pad and include a (black) finishing pad instead. You won't need the white and orange pads until you want to start applying polishes and glazes later in the car's life. We offer Porter Cable for 159.99 with a velcro backing plate and the pad of your choice.

As long as you have a good coat of wax on your car and there isn't too much dust or contamination built up on the car you can use faster methods than washing. The California Car Duster does have the potential to do harm to a paints finish and I personally do not use them or want to sell them for that reason. I do use a quick detailer like the Poorboy's World Spray and Wipe. This is basically like a waterless wash that provides lubrication to help glide contamination off the car. I also use a good microfiber towel when using this product.

Thanks for your interest in a detailing seminar! We just put up a new post that is trying to determine a location for the event that is agreeable to everyone. Please post what location would be best for you!

Greg
Detailed Image - Owner
Old 09-02-2005, 09:58 PM   #196
Milla

My Ride: Too many to list
I can't thank you guys enough for all of this information. Incredible!
I think I found my Labor Day weekend project: read the rest of this post and start shopping.

Thanks once again guys!

[ 1997 TECHNO VIOLET M3/4/5 VF SUPERCHARGED | 2000 IMOLA RED M5 DINAN S | 2001 PHOENIX YELLOW M3 | 2002 JET BLACK M5 | 2003 ESTORIL BLUE X5 4.6is ]

I support FelloRacing, MillaVipe & Performance Race Solutions!!!

Want to meet other enthusiasts in the area? Central Florida BMW Owners is for you!

TWITTER/millakins & INSTAGRAM/millakins
Milla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 10:48 PM   #197
chrisho

My Ride: 2005 TiAg M3
bump for a great sponsor

thanks again george for your excellent customer service and all the advice.
i just had to say that george is awesome and always willing to help. i called his shop at 11PM just hoping the answering machine would tell me their shop hours and lo and behold, george answers the phone. he was kind and patient enough to answer all my questions. again bump for an excellent sponsor.
chrisho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:43 AM   #198
JonF_330Ci

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Great info... I just put a bunch of little surface scratches on the hood of my car this morning trying to remove bird poop I'm such a doofus!!
JonF_330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 09:22 AM   #199
Greg@DetailedImage.com

How deep are the scratches? Can you take a picture? Hopefully they are not too deep and we can help you buff them out yourself. Worst case scenario they will get atleast reduced. More than likely if you apply the Poorboy's SSR 2.5 and then follow it up with the Poorboy's World 1.0 there will be a significant imporvement in the appearance. After that follow up with a wax on any areas where you applied the polish because the wax gets stripped from the polish. Give us some more information but more than likely this will be what I would recommend.

Greg
Detailed Image - Owner
Old 09-06-2005, 06:48 PM   #200
JonF_330Ci

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregs
How deep are the scratches? Can you take a picture? Hopefully they are not too deep and we can help you buff them out yourself. Worst case scenario they will get atleast reduced. More than likely if you apply the Poorboy's SSR 2.5 and then follow it up with the Poorboy's World 1.0 there will be a significant imporvement in the appearance. After that follow up with a wax on any areas where you applied the polish because the wax gets stripped from the polish. Give us some more information but more than likely this will be what I would recommend.

Greg
Detailed Image - Owner
Thanks for the info Greg! I don't have my camera with me at the office. The scratches are very faint. I can't feel them when I run my hand over the paint... and they are only really noticable when the sun is shining on the hood. Should I go with the 2-step polish (2.5 then 1) then wax?

- Jonathan
JonF_330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote