E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 37 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:31 PM   #2001
///McKinzie

My Ride: 1999 BMW Z3 2.3
The Never Dull is for metal. I used it on my chrome wheels once, and while it cleaned them, it left a haze. I definatly would not use it on the paint. Since you are having to do your...hood I take it...I would do the whole car. Someone scratched up my hood with their purse not long ago so I decided to do my entire car. I went with Menzerna Intensive Polish, Final Polish II, Finishing Touch Glaze, Full Molecular Jacket (Sealant), and P21s Carnuba Wax, plus a few other things. I did the car by hand (very tiring), but got great results, and a buffer would be even better. If you had the money, and time, I would go this way. Poorboys World products are great as well and at a good price. Once Greg sees your post I'm sure he will help you out with more information. Good luck!

1999 BMW Z3
w/ BMW M3 Chrome 17" Wheels
Currently has 306,000 miles

Detailed Image Auto Detailing Supplies
Maintained by Detailed Image
///McKinzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 11:35 PM   #2002
Ibn_Becharre

My Ride: 00 e46 86 e30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///McKinzie View Post
The Never Dull is for metal. I used it on my chrome wheels once, and while it cleaned them, it left a haze. I definatly would not use it on the paint. Since you are having to do your...hood I take it...I would do the whole car. Someone scratched up my hood with their purse not long ago so I decided to do my entire car. I went with Menzerna Intensive Polish, Final Polish II, Finishing Touch Glaze, Full Molecular Jacket (Sealant), and P21s Carnuba Wax, plus a few other things. I did the car by hand (very tiring), but got great results, and a buffer would be even better. If you had the money, and time, I would go this way. Poorboys World products are great as well and at a good price. Once Greg sees your post I'm sure he will help you out with more information. Good luck!
thanks I do own an electric buffer, so I might as well do the whole car like you recommend...okay so far these are the list of products im lookin to get:

Poorboys Red Paste Wax
Danase Wet Glaze
Menzerna Intensive Polish
Final Polish II
Finishing Touch Glaze
Full Molecular Jacket (Sealant)
P21s Carnuba Wax

Thanks!

EDIT: Will I have any trouble finding any of these at pepboys, autozone, direct tire, etc.....b/c i wana get this done asap, can't stand looking at it

Last edited by Ibn_Becharre; 05-25-2008 at 11:38 PM.
Ibn_Becharre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 12:56 AM   #2003
///McKinzie

My Ride: 1999 BMW Z3 2.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED2000323ci View Post
thanks I do own an electric buffer, so I might as well do the whole car like you recommend...okay so far these are the list of products im lookin to get:

Poorboys Red Paste Wax
Danase Wet Glaze
Menzerna Intensive Polish
Final Polish II
Finishing Touch Glaze
Full Molecular Jacket (Sealant)
P21s Carnuba Wax

Thanks!

EDIT: Will I have any trouble finding any of these at pepboys, autozone, direct tire, etc.....b/c i wana get this done asap, can't stand looking at it
Danase Wet Glaze is not necessary since you are getting Finishing Touch Glaze. You can not find any of these in your autozone type stores. The stuff you get at those stores compared to the stuff you get online, at places such as Detailed Image, 1. Does not last as long, 2. are harder to use, 3. do not give as good results. I used to think I would just get the stuff at autozone because I don't have the money to buy online. BUT, if you compare prices, its roughly the same. So its better off to just get it online, plus most of the stuff lasts a lot long. The Full Molecular Jacket is a 16oz bottle. I used 1-2oz to do my entire car, and it was so easy to use. Also, not trying to push detailed image, but their order processing and shipping is super quick! They are in New Jersey, or New York, cant remember...but I live in Tennessee and I got it in no time.

1999 BMW Z3
w/ BMW M3 Chrome 17" Wheels
Currently has 306,000 miles

Detailed Image Auto Detailing Supplies
Maintained by Detailed Image
///McKinzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:28 AM   #2004
Ibn_Becharre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///McKinzie View Post
Danase Wet Glaze is not necessary since you are getting Finishing Touch Glaze. You can not find any of these in your autozone type stores. The stuff you get at those stores compared to the stuff you get online, at places such as Detailed Image, 1. Does not last as long, 2. are harder to use, 3. do not give as good results. I used to think I would just get the stuff at autozone because I don't have the money to buy online. BUT, if you compare prices, its roughly the same. So its better off to just get it online, plus most of the stuff lasts a lot long. The Full Molecular Jacket is a 16oz bottle. I used 1-2oz to do my entire car, and it was so easy to use. Also, not trying to push detailed image, but their order processing and shipping is super quick! They are in New Jersey, or New York, cant remember...but I live in Tennessee and I got it in no time.
i need something local, quick, and gets the job done , until i order the high quality stuff from detailed image. its memorail day, im bored, and i feel like doing something now temporarily. What's most equivalent to the products mention above that I can find in the next 20 minutes at pep boys/autozone/etc...? thanks for the feedback.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:41 AM   #2005
Shuskan3

My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:
i need something local, quick, and gets the job done , until i order the high quality stuff from detailed image. its memorail day, im bored, and i feel like doing something now temporarily. What's most equivalent to the products mention above that I can find in the next 20 minutes at pep boys/autozone/etc...? thanks for the feedback.
I would suggest the whole Duragloss line of products for something OTC. Do a search on Duragloss, and you will find alot of good info.
Hardwired V1 ~ Turner Motorsport Front and Rear Sways w/ Ground Control Endlinks ~ Powerflex RTAB’s ~ OEM BMW Performance SSK ~ ZHP Shift Knob ~ Painted Reflectors ~ Bluetooth ~ Satellite Radio ~ CDV Delete ~ Clutch Stop ~ Euro Tray ~ 19” CSL Wheels ~
18” OEM Wheels for the track

Shuskan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:10 AM   #2006
M0nk3y
Banned

My Ride: 2002 325xi
I would get the Menzerna SIP and 106FF (Nano Polish) Instead of the Intensive polish and final polish.

I would also pick up some yellow LCC pads, orange pads, and white pads......

Use the yellow pads for the first stange of SIP, then orange pad with SIP, the white pad with 106FF.......

You don't need two different type of glazes, same with waxes. I have had fine results with Poorboys red paste wax......

So use this combo......

Menzerna SIP (Yellow pad)
Menzerna SIP (Orange Pad)
Menzerna 106FF (White Pad)
Glaze (Any one)
Sealant (I like Klasse HGS applied with Blue pad)
Poorboys Red Paste Wax (By hand)

Make sure you pick up some quality microfiber towels also. Best of luck
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:16 AM   #2007
Ibn_Becharre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuskan3 View Post
I would suggest the whole Duragloss line of products for something OTC. Do a search on Duragloss, and you will find alot of good info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
I would get the Menzerna SIP and 106FF (Nano Polish) Instead of the Intensive polish and final polish.

I would also pick up some yellow LCC pads, orange pads, and white pads......

Use the yellow pads for the first stange of SIP, then orange pad with SIP, the white pad with 106FF.......

You don't need two different type of glazes, same with waxes. I have had fine results with Poorboys red paste wax......

So use this combo......

Menzerna SIP (Yellow pad)
Menzerna SIP (Orange Pad)
Menzerna 106FF (White Pad)
Glaze (Any one)
Sealant (I like Klasse HGS applied with Blue pad)
Poorboys Red Paste Wax (By hand)

Make sure you pick up some quality microfiber towels also. Best of luck
honestly thank you very much for your advice, my only question is: can i find them at local retail stores within the hour?

EDIT: im assuming yes since OTC= over the counter= easy to get anywhere =P
Old 05-26-2008, 10:36 AM   #2008
Shuskan3

My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:
honestly thank you very much for your advice, my only question is: can i find them at local retail stores within the hour?

Correct, OTC means over-the-counter.

Duragloss is sold at most Car Quest stores....
Hardwired V1 ~ Turner Motorsport Front and Rear Sways w/ Ground Control Endlinks ~ Powerflex RTAB’s ~ OEM BMW Performance SSK ~ ZHP Shift Knob ~ Painted Reflectors ~ Bluetooth ~ Satellite Radio ~ CDV Delete ~ Clutch Stop ~ Euro Tray ~ 19” CSL Wheels ~
18” OEM Wheels for the track

Shuskan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:48 AM   #2009
Ibn_Becharre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuskan3 View Post
Correct, OTC means over-the-counter.

Duragloss is sold at most Car Quest stores....
Cool, what about the Menzerna products, do ya kno?
Old 05-26-2008, 11:19 AM   #2010
BMW Loe

My Ride: is dirty
You could try Meguiars Yellow line of products if your looking for OTC. They have a deep cut polish and a finer polish. It won't be as good as Menzerna or PB's though. I dont think your paint is done for, it looks perfectly repairable and DIY
03 330Ci sold
BMW Loe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 11:21 AM   #2011
Ibn_Becharre

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Loe View Post
You could try Meguiars Yellow line of products if your looking for OTC. They have a deep cut polish and a finer polish. It won't be as good as Menzerna or PB's though. I dont think your paint is done for, it looks perfectly repairable and DIY
im so happy to hear that, i think ill go out and try the Meguiars line of products then...i'll be sure to report back with finished work!
Old 05-26-2008, 12:27 PM   #2012
Ibn_Becharre

Okay guys, I just got back from pepboys. Here are the products I bought:

My plan is to wash the car, dry, apply scratch doctor (by hand), wash, dry, apply polish (using buffer), wash, dry, finally apply glaze (by hand or buffer?), wash, dry

what do you think?
Old 05-26-2008, 08:12 PM   #2013
M0nk3y
Banned

Quote:

No, sorry dude. You can only buy those products via internet. But rest assured, they do fantastic work. That is the line-up I use (with klasse HGS as a sealant)

Quote:
My plan is to wash the car, dry, apply scratch doctor (by hand), wash, dry, apply polish (using buffer), wash, dry, finally apply glaze (by hand or buffer?), wash, dry

what do you think?
See how it works, if not. Just suck it up and buy from the internet. Its gonna cost you, but it will deff help out your paint
Old 05-26-2008, 08:23 PM   #2014
BMW Loe

My Ride: is dirty
Quote:
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/m...r/P5260109.jpg

what do you think?
It should help, but again, the internet stuff is more potent. If this doesn't work, I would try the internet stuff next Good luck and report back!
03 330Ci sold
BMW Loe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:09 PM   #2015
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
Sorry for my slow response to this on going post I'll try to help. First off sorry to hear about the situation, thats terrible to hear. The Turtle Wax compound is pretty aggressive but doesn't finish down very well. The Never Dull should be used on metals.

Basically your situation is that you have lots of fine micro-scratches/swirls in the clear coat. The products you bought will probably help remove some very light marks. Try looking at your paint in direct sun light or under florescent lighting to best observe your progress and before using a glaze, sealant or wax that may temporarily hide imperfections. You'll most likely need something more aggressive to make a significant impact. Using a buffer will also help you build up more heat and pressure which is essential for working in a polish. Also using the right pads is really important for best results.

I would suggest you try a medium and light cutting polish combination. Something like the Menzerna Intensive Polish and Final Polish II or the Menzerna SIP and PO106FF. These products should help remove more imperfections and restore a deep shine.

We are located in NY so shipping to you should only be one business day and we usually ship everything out the next day. Let me know if you have any other questions I can help you with.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:34 PM   #2016
M0nk3y
Banned

Greg, quick questions

First off, I just detailed my car last week. I have Klasse HGS, and Poorboys Red Paste Wax as protection. I have these Microfiber towels that have been putting scratches into my clearcoat.....(Ones I use for drying)(I have good quality towels for removing wax/polish/sealant (Cobra microfiber towels)). Since I have some pretty good protection going on, would it be ok to use the towels one more time when I wash my car. Or will that somehow put scratches into my clearcoat, even with protection. (I need to order some stuff from your site anyways in the next couple days).

Also, how many coats of Poorboys Red Paste Wax could I layer onto my car until it becomes useless and actually hurts the paint clarity?

Thanks

-Kyle
Old 05-26-2008, 11:00 PM   #2017
Ibn_Becharre

yes Greg, please link me to checkout page with which ever of those products you choose, thanks!
Old 05-26-2008, 11:03 PM   #2018
Ibn_Becharre

Just in case anyone was wondering, those products i purchased did make a descent atempt to remove the scraches, but my work is not done until i use the high qualitu material greg plans to link me to....once thats done the car will be picture quality again, and don't worry i'll post the new updated pics as soon as I'm done!

thanks everyone for all the advice/help!
Old 05-27-2008, 08:43 AM   #2019
SammyV

My Ride: CB M3
Send a message via AIM to SammyV
Greg, I recently purchased Menzerna IP from you. I have PB SSR 1, 2.5, 3. Would IP followed by SSR1 do the trick for moderatley swirled up black cars?
SammyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:12 AM   #2020
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
Greg, quick questions

First off, I just detailed my car last week. I have Klasse HGS, and Poorboys Red Paste Wax as protection. I have these Microfiber towels that have been putting scratches into my clearcoat.....(Ones I use for drying)(I have good quality towels for removing wax/polish/sealant (Cobra microfiber towels)). Since I have some pretty good protection going on, would it be ok to use the towels one more time when I wash my car. Or will that somehow put scratches into my clearcoat, even with protection. (I need to order some stuff from your site anyways in the next couple days).

Also, how many coats of Poorboys Red Paste Wax could I layer onto my car until it becomes useless and actually hurts the paint clarity?

Thanks

-Kyle
Kyle,

If those towels are adding fine scratches to the paint I would not use them at all any more on th paint. Downgrade them to clean the door jambs, engine bay, etc. At the very least they would remove some of the protection on top if not continue to add more fine scratches. Don't take the risk its not worth it.

I know you mentioned that you wanted to order some products from us and I just wanted to remind you that three of our microfiber towels are on sale this month. Check out the specials on our homepage www.detailedimage.com.

I would say somewhere between 1 - 5 coats is fine. After 5 I don't think it would decrease the clarity I just don't think you would see an additional benefit.

Let me know if you have additional questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote