E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 35 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:08 PM   #2041
SammyV

My Ride: CB M3
Send a message via AIM to SammyV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregs View Post
Yes you can use the IP and SSR 1 for moderate swirls. Make sure you take your time and apply good pressure throughout for best results. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image
what do you suggest for a pad sequence

Yellow IP
Orange IP
Orange SSR 1

or think orange IP and then orange SSR 1 will be sufficient
SammyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:53 PM   #2042
M0nk3y
Banned

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Greg, I have a Rogue IKON exhaust with chrome tips. Right now I am using metal polish and Klasse HGS to protect them. But every 3 days, it seems like my tips get dirty again.

What should I use to protect them and keep them shining. I am ordering poorboys wheel sealant, would that help it. Or is there any other product that I should get
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:48 PM   #2043
///McKinzie

My Ride: 1999 BMW Z3 2.3
I just applied PB Wheel Sealant to my exhaust tips also during my last full detail. Its been rainy though so I havent driven my car yet to find out how its working...but i'll keep you posted.

1999 BMW Z3
w/ BMW M3 Chrome 17" Wheels
Currently has 306,000 miles

Detailed Image Auto Detailing Supplies
Maintained by Detailed Image
///McKinzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:49 PM   #2044
M0nk3y
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///McKinzie View Post
I just applied PB Wheel Sealant to my exhaust tips also during my last full detail. Its been rainy though so I havent driven my car yet to find out how its working...but i'll keep you posted.
ok, let me know. I want to order these soon.........
Old 05-29-2008, 07:03 PM   #2045
///McKinzie

My Ride: 1999 BMW Z3 2.3
The Wheel Sealant is a great choice anyways. I had some haze on my rims. I used a Mothers Powerball Mini and Chrome Polish and that helped some, but wouldnt get in the tight spots. While I was applying the Sealant, it seemed to have cleaned up a lot of stuff the Powerball didn't. My wheels havent looked this good in years.

1999 BMW Z3
w/ BMW M3 Chrome 17" Wheels
Currently has 306,000 miles

Detailed Image Auto Detailing Supplies
Maintained by Detailed Image
///McKinzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:57 PM   #2046
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyV View Post
what do you suggest for a pad sequence

Yellow IP
Orange IP
Orange SSR 1

or think orange IP and then orange SSR 1 will be sufficient
You could do the exact process you listed or skip the Yellow pad and IP step like you also suggested. Doing three steps will improve the results but two steps is pretty effective as well. If you're going to do another full coat with the yellow pad you might as well match it to a more aggressive polish like the Menzerna Power Gloss to get the most out of a third coat of polish, followed by the IP and SSR 1 like you suggested.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:05 PM   #2047
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
Greg, I have a Rogue IKON exhaust with chrome tips. Right now I am using metal polish and Klasse HGS to protect them. But every 3 days, it seems like my tips get dirty again.

What should I use to protect them and keep them shining. I am ordering poorboys wheel sealant, would that help it. Or is there any other product that I should get
Klasse HGSG and Wheel Sealant are both good forms of protection. Exhaust tips are exposed to extremely high temperatures so it's difficult to protect any surface this hot. I'm honestly not sure what would protect the tips better. The HGSG is extremely durable on paint, however the Wheel Sealant is designed to resist high temperatures, so I think the Wheel Sealant may be a slightly better form of protection. It would be great to see a split test on exhaust pipes. Let me know if I can help any further.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 05-29-2008, 09:31 PM   #2048
M0nk3y
Banned

I've tried HGSG, but I think it just gets roasted when the muffler gets hot, because the same thing happens......

I'll try a side-by-side test. Ill be sure to post results........Jeez, Greg your killing me, you keep on forcing me to by more stuff!
Old 05-30-2008, 07:36 AM   #2049
Greg@DetailedImage.com

I look forward to hearing about your results! Also make sure you clean the surface first so the sealant can bond to the surface. For most exhaust tips a good metal polish (P21S Finish Restorer) will make them look new again, before protecting them. Keep us posted!

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 05-30-2008, 09:45 AM   #2050
M0nk3y
Banned

Quote:
I look forward to hearing about your results! Also make sure you clean the surface first so the sealant can bond to the surface. For most exhaust tips a good metal polish (P21S Finish Restorer) will make them look new again, before protecting them. Keep us posted!

Greg @ Detailed Image
I use Blue Metal Polish (OTC) I just read it, and It says that it leaves a protective layer (after wiping the polish off). Do you think that is why it is not bonding correctly?
Old 05-30-2008, 02:22 PM   #2051
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
I use Blue Metal Polish (OTC) I just read it, and It says that it leaves a protective layer (after wiping the polish off). Do you think that is why it is not bonding correctly?
Hmm... good question. I don't think it will stop it from bonding entirely, but it certainly could be limiting it's full potential. I've used the Blue Metal Polish before and it does offer somewhat limited protection. It would be nice to do another split test here to see if it's limiting the protection from the HGSG. Again exhaust tips can get extremely hot so it could be unrelated but I'm interested to see if you can notice a difference.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 05-30-2008, 02:33 PM   #2052
M0nk3y
Banned

Alright, ill get that P21s metal finish, and do a side/side test........
Old 05-30-2008, 03:06 PM   #2053
slo323ci

My Ride: 00 323ci
Quote:
I've tried HGSG, but I think it just gets roasted when the muffler gets hot, because the same thing happens......

I'll try a side-by-side test. Ill be sure to post results........Jeez, Greg your killing me, you keep on forcing me to by more stuff!
Yeah I was just looking at spending around $100, now I'm already looking at $400+

Guess there goes my stim check
slo323ci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:21 PM   #2054
slo323ci

Greg, would you recommend Grime cleaner or Gel Wheel cleaner for your wheels? I know the Gel Wheel Cleaner makes more sense, but was wondering if I could get away with using the Grime Cleaner?
Old 05-30-2008, 05:38 PM   #2055
r3v1ls

My Ride: '01 325i
As a fellow detailer, I would advise all members to stay away from Pep Boys and any of their suggestions. The majority of the people there have NO IDEA about anything when it comes to professional detailing. I have been ordering products online for the last 3 years and couldn't be any happier. The products are much higher quality and come with detailed instructions.
r3v1ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:56 PM   #2056
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo323ci View Post
Greg, would you recommend Grime cleaner or Gel Wheel cleaner for your wheels? I know the Gel Wheel Cleaner makes more sense, but was wondering if I could get away with using the Grime Cleaner?
I think you are referring to the Chemical Guys Grime Reaper. This product is a degreaser which is not exactly a wheel cleaner. If you use this product I would dilute it at least 3:1 (water/CGGR) and I would only use it on clear coated wheels. Some after market wheels and especially highly polished aluminum wheels may not be safe. If you do use it, like any new product, spot test it on a small area first just to be safe. Let me know if you were referring to another product.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 05-30-2008, 07:05 PM   #2057
slo323ci

Quote:
I think you are referring to the Chemical Guys Grime Reaper. This product is a degreaser which is not exactly a wheel cleaner. If you use this product I would dilute it at least 3:1 (water/CGGR) and I would only use it on clear coated wheels. Some after market wheels and especially highly polished aluminum wheels may not be safe. If you do use it, like any new product, spot test it on a small area first just to be safe. Let me know if you were referring to another product.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Yes I was, thanks Greg. I'll be ordering shortly!
Old 05-31-2008, 04:50 AM   #2058
dkangman

My Ride: is Hot.
Greg, how good is the CG Pete's 53 wax? Does it last as long as the P21s? I liked it when you described that it will give a wet finish especially on dark colored cars.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:14 AM   #2059
chris_bmw330ci

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by kangman69 View Post
Greg, how good is the CG Pete's 53 wax? Does it last as long as the P21s? I liked it when you described that it will give a wet finish especially on dark colored cars.
obviously greg would know better, from what i heard the CG wax of choice now a days is the 50/50. and P21s is only a so-so wax, but their 100% carnuba P21 is getting good reviews. also, i've heard plain P21s wax is also sold under the name S100 at harley davidson dealers for over half the price - cheap enough to pick up and test it out.
chris_bmw330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:30 AM   #2060
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangman69 View Post
Almost all carnauba waxes fall in the same range for me 2 - 6 weeks. With such a short time frame I have yet to find any one in particular that has excellent durability relative to other options. I would say the Pete's 53 would last just as long as the P21S. The Pete's 53 is an outstanding wax that I think any detailer would love. It applies with ease and looks great on any color, but especially darker colored paints. Let me know if I can help you any further.

Greg @ Detailed Image