E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 37 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:09 AM   #2081
chris_bmw330ci

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///McKinzie View Post
From my understanding, the Megs and other stuff like that is silicon based(?) and it just lays on top of your tires. The Bold n Bright is water based and therefor absorbs into the tire.
excellent point that many ppl don't understand, and the reason why i only use water based products.

a trick i found w/ water based products is the more layers you apply the shinier the finish. i don't like shiny tires myself, but for those that do give it a try.
chris_bmw330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:10 AM   #2082
chris_bmw330ci

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
How many Purple Wool Pads do I need to use on a normal sized car?
probably depends on what product are you using w/ the wool pads? here's a link where ppl discuss M105 w/ PFW pads

http://www.autopia.org/forum/machine...ting-m105.html
chris_bmw330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:11 AM   #2083
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
Quote:
Greg, quick question(s):

How is the Poorboys Bold n' Bright Tire Dressing? Does it last only a week or so. Or can it protect tires for a couple weeks, to a month?

Is it gel based, or liquid form?

Right now I am using Meguiars Tire Endurance Gel, and the quality is ok........But I don't really like the gel part........How does it compare to the Poorboys?

Also, how is Klasse HGS compared to Poorboys Ex-P (In durability, depth, shine)

I need to know by mid-night tomorrow. Gotta order w/special
Chris and McKinzie had some good insight on the Poorboy's World Bold n Bright. It is a liquid tire dressing that I use a lot personally. It's a great water based dressing that absorbs in to the tire better than most. This keeps the rubber dark and healthy. Silicone based dressing tend to have a shinier appearance but sling more and are not particularly good for the tire.

The Poorboy's World EX-P and Klasse HGSG are both sealants designed primarily to shine and protect. The HGSG will protect for longer and probably give a slightly deeper gloss. However the HGSG can be a little bit more challenging to remove. Sometimes I have to use a little quick detailer and more microfiber towels during the removal. The EX-P is very easy to apply and remove and is very reflective.

Quote:
I appreciate your help man, I'll try out that Bold n' Bright and see how I like it.........

Just yet another question that either of you two can answer. How many Purple Wool Pads do I need to use on a normal sized car? I didn't know if the wool pads cake up like the normal foam pads do. Right now in my cart I have 2, do I need any more??

(And I need to order by 11:59 tonight est time, I wanna try out the Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax and see if all the hype is really worth it)
I think two of the purple foamed wool pads is enough for a detail. I would change them halfway through and clean them as needed.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 12:04 PM   #2084
Topazine

My Ride: '02 330i
Question: White Water Spots

While drying my car last night I noticed some white water marks have accumulated on my hood that weren't there before. Unfortunately, my car lives outside and I haven't been able to wash it in a while. I polished and waxed the hood (w/ poorboys), which seemed to help a little bit, but these marks look kind of permanent. Is there anything else I can do? Will polishing & waxing, besides helping to prevent more spots, help diminish them? Thanks!

Formerly: TheBeerAssassin
Topazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:02 AM   #2085
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeerAssassin View Post
While drying my car last night I noticed some white water marks have accumulated on my hood that weren't there before. Unfortunately, my car lives outside and I haven't been able to wash it in a while. I polished and waxed the hood (w/ poorboys), which seemed to help a little bit, but these marks look kind of permanent. Is there anything else I can do? Will polishing & waxing, besides helping to prevent more spots, help diminish them? Thanks!
Sorry to hear about those marks. Water marks are generally caused by mineral deposits in water from homes. The sun can quickly bake them in to the paint, so be extra careful when washing. Check out our Detailing Guide Wash and Dry section.

Polishes will help remove the marks and waxes/sealants will help prevent them in the future. You can remove these marks but how you do that depends on how far they have etched in to the clear coat. What exact polishes did you use so far? How did you apply them (what buffer and pad? hand application?)? Once I have that info I'll be better able to help you going forward.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 06-09-2008, 04:53 PM   #2086
dkangman

My Ride: is Hot.
What is another way of washing the pads?
Old 06-09-2008, 11:02 PM   #2087
AlpineCI

My Ride: is paint code 300!
Greg,

Sorry, its kind of short notice, but would I still be able to receive an order before fathers day if I place the order tomorrow morning? I live in CT...

AlpineCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:14 AM   #2088
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangman69 View Post
What is another way of washing the pads?
I guess that depends on your current method. Typically I put them in a bucket with the Snappy Clean citrus degreasing cleaner. I let them soak for atleast 15 minutes, massage and rinse out. Then repeat the process once more. Wring them out really good or spin them on a rotary buffer to help get out the moisture and let them air dry.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 06-10-2008, 08:26 AM   #2089
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineCI View Post
Greg,

Sorry, its kind of short notice, but would I still be able to receive an order before fathers day if I place the order tomorrow morning? I live in CT...
As long as you place it before Thursday morning you should get it on Friday. However just to play it safe I would suggest having the order placed by Wednesday morning. Let me know if you have any questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 06-10-2008, 08:26 AM   #2090
M0nk3y
Banned

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Greg,
I'm looking for a heavy compound to buy. I was looking at Menzerna Power Gloss or M105 (Meguiars). Which one is betteR?
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:29 AM   #2091
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Both are good and will work, but I like the Menzerna Power Gloss a little more. You can't go wrong either way but I just like how the Power Gloss finishes down very smooth so you don't have so much polishing work to do later.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 06-12-2008, 07:36 PM   #2092
dkangman

I have heard that using clay bar too often can be bad to your paint. Can somebody confirm this?
Old 06-12-2008, 08:52 PM   #2093
M0nk3y
Banned

if you use aggressive clay. Then you will leave holograms, which require polishing to get out.......How often are you doing this?
Old 06-12-2008, 11:21 PM   #2094
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangman69 View Post
I have heard that using clay bar too often can be bad to your paint. Can somebody confirm this?
Clay is not dangerous when used properly and you could use it as much as you want. Clay does not reduce or strip off the clear coat and is non-abrasive. Therefore it can be used as much as you would like with no danger. Clay comes in different grades generally fine and medium. The finer grade the softer the bar and vice versa. All clay is soft and can safely absorb contaminants. However if enough contamination builds up in a bar or if large contaminants become lodged in the bar you can potentially grind it in to the surface. This is why we recommend remolding the bar after each area and only using one piece per detail. I typically take a 200 gram bar and break it in to four fresh pieces. The clay lube also helps reduce surface friction and potential problems. Generally speaking clay is quite safe and should pose only minimal risk.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 06-12-2008, 11:24 PM   #2095
BM-MAN

My Ride: Hot 3 coupe
Send a message via MSN to BM-MAN
Greg, I noticed you recommend Poorboys Wheel sealant a lot. Is it better the Wheel Wax that you also sell?
BM-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:14 PM   #2096
M0nk3y
Banned

Greg, I ordered $139 worth of detailing supplies today! Do you think my order would ship out today?

-Kyle
Old 06-13-2008, 12:24 PM   #2097
dkangman

Quote:
if you use aggressive clay. Then you will leave holograms, which require polishing to get out.......How often are you doing this?
I am just using the fine one (blue from magic clay). Until now, I have only used it once (before polishing) like 3 months ago. But after rain, and not being able to clean it right away, the surface kind of seems very rough. So I was planning to use it but some people said that it can do harm to the paint.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:25 PM   #2098
dkangman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregs View Post
Clay is not dangerous when used properly and you could use it as much as you want. Clay does not reduce or strip off the clear coat and is non-abrasive. Therefore it can be used as much as you would like with no danger. Clay comes in different grades generally fine and medium. The finer grade the softer the bar and vice versa. All clay is soft and can safely absorb contaminants. However if enough contamination builds up in a bar or if large contaminants become lodged in the bar you can potentially grind it in to the surface. This is why we recommend remolding the bar after each area and only using one piece per detail. I typically take a 200 gram bar and break it in to four fresh pieces. The clay lube also helps reduce surface friction and potential problems. Generally speaking clay is quite safe and should pose only minimal risk.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Greg @ Detailed Image
Thanks for the confirmation.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:49 PM   #2099
M0nk3y
Banned

Quote:
Greg, I ordered $139 worth of detailing supplies today! Do you think my order would ship out today?

-Kyle
Updates Greg?
Old 06-14-2008, 09:20 PM   #2100
Shuskan3

My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:
Incorrect! It is impossible for clay to put holograms into the paint.
Hardwired V1 ~ Turner Motorsport Front and Rear Sways w/ Ground Control Endlinks ~ Powerflex RTAB’s ~ OEM BMW Performance SSK ~ ZHP Shift Knob ~ Painted Reflectors ~ Bluetooth ~ Satellite Radio ~ CDV Delete ~ Clutch Stop ~ Euro Tray ~ 19” CSL Wheels ~
18” OEM Wheels for the track

Shuskan3 is offline   Reply With Quote