E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 41 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:38 AM   #2121
bmauro

My Ride: 330xi
Greg - whats the best way to contact you? PM, email, just start a new thread?
bmauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:00 PM   #2122
THATS FRESH

My Ride: SSHNIPER
Send a message via AIM to THATS FRESH Send a message via Skype™ to THATS FRESH
his email but i would ask here in this thread. that way if someone has the same question, theyll already find there answer if they do a search
Old 06-18-2008, 05:48 PM   #2123
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthreezycrazy View Post
what products do you recommend for suede treatment, and what are the steps?
Also is there anything that can be done to faded suede?

thank you
Suede can be tough to work with. It's a sensitive surface that I tend to be conservative around. I take a vacuum and carefully remove loose contaminants. For regular cleanings I take a soft brush and lightly brush the surface. I avoid using liquid cleaners or even water to avoid any potentially problems, but sometimes you have to use them. Before using any cleaning solution always spot test the product in the least visible area just to ensure you are getting the results you desire with no ill side effects. For stains I like to use a diluted version of the 303 Cleaner and Spot Remover (3:1). This is already diluted but I like to be even more safe and dilute it even more. Spray it directly on a clean towel or applicator pad and spot treat the affected area by lightly wiping the surface. Avoid using excess product or spraying products directly on the surface if possible. If this doesn't work you can use the product in stronger concentrations.

I hope this helps!

Greg @ Detailed Image
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:52 PM   #2124
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmauro View Post
Greg - whats the best way to contact you? PM, email, just start a new thread?

If it's something that can help others you can start a thread or add the question here. If it's more personal or not a general question you may want to just PM me or e-mail me at support at detailedimage dot com. It's really up to you I'll help you either way.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 06-18-2008, 06:00 PM   #2125
bmauro

My Ride: 330xi
Cool - thanks Greg. I sent you a PM yesterday on a product inquiry and haven't heard back - just wanted to make sure I wasn't sending it to a place you don't check.
bmauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:16 PM   #2126
Greg@DetailedImage.com

I responded just after I saw your post in this section. Sorry for any delay, yesterday was one of those extremely long days. I usually respond in 24 hours but sometimes it takes an extra day.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 06-22-2008, 12:25 PM   #2127
cambridge1807

My Ride: 330Ci ZHP
Send a message via AIM to cambridge1807
Greg,

I was looking at Quick Detailers on your site and came across 2 Poorboy's Products, the Spray&Wipe and Spray&Gloss. What is the difference between the 2 and would you recommend either one over the other QDs you sell?

I like Poorboy Products because they add a different smell to each product. I especially like the blue paste wax and tire shine.
cambridge1807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 12:34 PM   #2128
westoexpresso

My Ride: 2003 325i
deep scratches on the driver side (plastic) side skirts which runs under the doors on the drivers side. I think my wife drove thru a car wash and it rubbed and scratched the side skirt. My car is white and wanted to know what I can do to get these marks out or do I have to get it painted?

Last edited by westoexpresso; 06-22-2008 at 12:47 PM. Reason: MISS SPELLED WORD
westoexpresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 01:59 PM   #2129
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambridge1807 View Post
Greg,

I was looking at Quick Detailers on your site and came across 2 Poorboy's Products, the Spray&Wipe and Spray&Gloss. What is the difference between the 2 and would you recommend either one over the other QDs you sell?

I like Poorboy Products because they add a different smell to each product. I especially like the blue paste wax and tire shine.
They are both similar products. They are both quick detailers designed to help safely clean a surface. They help encapsulate and suspend particles so they can not be ground in to the surface. The difference between them is that the Spray and Gloss has a little bit of polymers in it to add more shine and protection to the surface. It's only slight but it's a great product to use on a freshly detailed surface to keep it looking fresh. The Spray and Wipe is what I like to use as a clay lube, lubricant on fresh pads, door jamb cleaner, and so much more. The Spray and Wipe is probably the most versatile and popular but both have their function.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 06-22-2008, 02:08 PM   #2130
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by westoexpresso View Post
deep scratches on the driver side (plastic) side skirts which runs under the doors on the drivers side. I think my wife drove thru a car wash and it rubbed and scratched the side skirt. My car is white and wanted to know what I can do to get these marks out or do I have to get it painted?
I'm not sure I understand the problem 100%. It sounds like there is a gouge in the plastic of some sort. Typically you can't just buff them out. If the mark is in plastic you may be able to clean it but removing the scuff is difficult. Typically you just have to deal with it or replace it. Let me know if I can help further and if I'm understanding the situation.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 06-22-2008, 02:16 PM   #2131
freerider

My Ride: 03 320i, 98 328i ind
Hi Greg,

Here is a nice question, I have a detail coming up on a M3 CSL, My questions is this...

How do you go about polishing the carbon fibre roof? Do you even polish it? And once polished... or not, do you wax the carbon fibre?

Don
Old 06-23-2008, 12:08 AM   #2132
Dan99

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Hi I have some swirls on my interior trim of my bimmer burlwood. What products do you guy recommend.

Thanks,

Dan
Dan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:24 PM   #2133
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerider View Post
Hi Greg,

Here is a nice question, I have a detail coming up on a M3 CSL, My questions is this...

How do you go about polishing the carbon fibre roof? Do you even polish it? And once polished... or not, do you wax the carbon fibre?

Don
Most carbon fiber panels are clear coated. If the carbon fiber is clear coated then you can treat it just like the rest of the vehicle. However it may not have the same type of clear coat (soft, hard, nano, etc) so it may react differently to the polish. Therefore start off with a light polish and make sure you're getting the desired results before using something more aggressive. If it's not clear coated you want to be even more cautious. I honestly never had carbon fiber that was not clear coated so I've never experienced that situation. It certainly would be safe to seal/wax but I would be very careful with polishes.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:33 PM   #2134
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan99 View Post
Hi I have some swirls on my interior trim of my bimmer burlwood. What products do you guy recommend.

Thanks,

Dan
Dan,

For coated hard wood I use a light polish on them like the Menzerna PO106FF or Menzerna Final Polish II. Tape off the surrounding trim with blue painter's tape or remove the wood. Then just buff the polish on with medium pressure and remove the excess product with a clean microfiber towel. This should remove a lot of the light surface imperfections, haze, oxidation, etc. You can also coat the wood with a sealant to protect it if desired.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 06-24-2008, 01:01 AM   #2135
///McKinzie

My Ride: 1999 BMW Z3 2.3
Im thinking about purchasing the Gilmour. I notice it also comes with the CG CGandWash. I have been using PB Super Slick and Suds wash for about 2 years now (same 32oz bottle!). The PB does not strip wax no matter the concentration correct? What I am worried about is when I use the CG wash is it stripping the wax. Then again I could just use the CG for when I am about to do a full detail, and use the PB for in between washes. I guess my question is, does the container on the Gilmour show how much car wash you have put in it (like oz wise) so I will know if I am using the right amount to not strip the wax?

1999 BMW Z3
w/ BMW M3 Chrome 17" Wheels
Currently has 306,000 miles

Detailed Image Auto Detailing Supplies
Maintained by Detailed Image
///McKinzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:50 AM   #2136
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///McKinzie View Post
Im thinking about purchasing the Gilmour. I notice it also comes with the CG CGandWash. I have been using PB Super Slick and Suds wash for about 2 years now (same 32oz bottle!). The PB does not strip wax no matter the concentration correct? What I am worried about is when I use the CG wash is it stripping the wax. Then again I could just use the CG for when I am about to do a full detail, and use the PB for in between washes. I guess my question is, does the container on the Gilmour show how much car wash you have put in it (like oz wise) so I will know if I am using the right amount to not strip the wax?
Good question. The Poorboy's World SSS will not strip protection at any concentration level. The CG CW&G can strip the protection if used in a concentrated manner. Here is a blog post I made about the Gilmour Foamaster II and Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Gloss Mixing Ratio. This should help explain everything and get you everything you need.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 06-24-2008, 09:02 AM   #2137
///McKinzie

My Ride: 1999 BMW Z3 2.3
I think i'm thinking about this too much, but just to be sure...

Using the chart on that page, if I did not want to strip protection, put it on setting A w/ .5oz CG and 32oz Water. To strip would be setting B w/ 2oz CG and 64oz water. The 64oz/32oz/etc. is the amount of water correct? If you use the CG and the Gilmour on your washes, what is the optimal settings you use for the best foam on both non-stripping, and stripping. Again, I think i'm thinking about this too much. Plus...maybe its just too early .

I did however perform a search before I asked this! GO me! I just got confused anyways haha.

1999 BMW Z3
w/ BMW M3 Chrome 17" Wheels
Currently has 306,000 miles

Detailed Image Auto Detailing Supplies
Maintained by Detailed Image
///McKinzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:42 PM   #2138
shaloop

My Ride: 1999 323i
Scratch Advice

Hi!
I just found this thread, and I'm really impressed. I only wish I had found it a week ago.

Here's the deal; I have a bunch of thin shallow scratches on my Orient Blue '99 323i. I ordered a product called the Touch Up Paint Pen (#APP 317) from Bavarian Autosport (www.BavAuto.com) to match the orginal paint color. I followed the directions that came with it (which left much to be desired) and tried it on a couple of scratches. The pen fills in the scratches, but it seems to still leave the obvious appearance of a pen stroke (see pictures). I only applied one coat but now I'm nervous to continue.

After spending hours reading this thread, I suspect the paint from the pen is not level with the rest of the paint nor properly polished & compounded. Does that sound right?

As an aside I also have lots of swirl marks, etc so I'm in need of a full polish, glaze, sealant, & wax. I would just like to properly fill these scratches before I do.

Any advice you can give would be very helpful.
Thanks in advance,
--Ryan

"Smudge spots" are where I filled in the scratch with the paint pen.
shaloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:41 PM   #2139
Trade Marked

My Ride: Needs New Shoes
pics dont work
Old 06-24-2008, 10:24 PM   #2140
shaloop

My Ride: 1999 323i
RE: Scratch Advice

Sorry about that. Not sure what happened.

Here they are again:

shaloop is offline   Reply With Quote