E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 37 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:59 PM   #2181
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregs View Post
They are both great tools for safe washing. I constantly try to evaluate them and see which is safer and more effective and they are really close. I really don't think I could say one is better or safer. The major difference between them is durability. The Sheepskin Wash Mitt will often last far less because its using natural materials. The Ulti-Mit is made from foam and will last forever as long as you keep it clean and don't rip it. Let me know if you have any other specific questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image
my sheepskin wash mitt is going, so i just needed some advice.

thanks! i think i will get one of each once i get back home
Old 07-15-2008, 11:17 PM   #2182
FRANCO
Masterdebator

My Ride: Your Mom
thanks greg!

Mods:p46 6000K Headlights,M3 Steering Wheel,LED Taillights,M Footrest,Smoked Turn Signals,Smoked Sidemarkers,MTech II kit,CS Splitters,Gray Instrument Panel, Red Marker DIY,Ion Yellow Foglights/High Beams,Akebono Brake Pads, Smart Chrome/Leather Gear Selector,18" Staggered CSLs

Future Mods:,H&R Sport Springs,Tint,ECIS Intake,M Lip Spoiler,OEM Aluminum Pedal Set,OEM M3 Mirrors
FRANCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:20 AM   #2183
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Greg,

I have a question regarding a traditional wax vs. sealant.

I've noticed that the traditional waxes that I have used are just not holding up in the Florida sun and weather. I'll be honest in saying that I've never used a sealant. However, from reading this board and information on your website, it appears that a sealant may last longer and provide better protection for my vehicle (2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Light Greystone Pearl paint). The vehicle is kept in a parking garage during the day while I'm at work, and in my garage at night.

I will fully disclose that I have not tried the high end waxes. I've tried several different Meguire's products, and I've used the P21s when I had the BMW. Because of the color, the "shine" factor isn't really an issue.

I would like to find a product that is as easy to apply and remove as a traditional wax, can be applied by hand, and will provide greater/longer protection.

I found this product from Poorboys, but I thought that a professional opinion would be better than me randomly choosing a product.
http://www.detailedimage.com/blog/Re...-EX-P-Sealant/

Thank you for any suggestions and or recommendations.

Here is a pic to show the color.

Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:03 AM   #2184
slo323ci

My Ride: 00 323ci
Greg,

I remember you saying not to use 303 Aerospace on the steering wheel, what would you recommend then?

Also when applying the rejuvenator with your hand, you massage it in correct? I thought I remember you saying it was better to do it that way instead of using an applicator? Also I want to spray the rejuvenator and prestine clean on right?

Last edited by slo323ci; 07-16-2008 at 10:09 AM.
slo323ci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:41 AM   #2185
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
Greg,

I have a question regarding a traditional wax vs. sealant.

I've noticed that the traditional waxes that I have used are just not holding up in the Florida sun and weather. I'll be honest in saying that I've never used a sealant. However, from reading this board and information on your website, it appears that a sealant may last longer and provide better protection for my vehicle (2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Light Greystone Pearl paint). The vehicle is kept in a parking garage during the day while I'm at work, and in my garage at night.

I will fully disclose that I have not tried the high end waxes. I've tried several different Meguire's products, and I've used the P21s when I had the BMW. Because of the color, the "shine" factor isn't really an issue.

I would like to find a product that is as easy to apply and remove as a traditional wax, can be applied by hand, and will provide greater/longer protection.

I found this product from Poorboys, but I thought that a professional opinion would be better than me randomly choosing a product.
http://www.detailedimage.com/blog/Re...-EX-P-Sealant/
Thank you for the detailed post, that really helps me help you. You are correct natural carnauba waxes do not hold up well against intense heat. Carnauba waxes have more moisture in them and tend to evaporate much faster than a sealant will. Sealants will protect much better, especially in the heat. The Poorboy's World EX-P is a great value for a quality sealant. If you want something with a little more depth and gloss try the Chemical Cuys M-Seal or the Blackfire Wet Diamond. If you want to get some of my favorite sealants that have the best combination of shine, ease of use, protection, etc. try either the Chemical Guys Jetseal 109 or Menzerna FMJ. Those two sealants work exceptionally well and make light colored paint look outstanding. With all of these sealants you should only need one ounce per coat or less for best results and value.

When you are done applying a sealant you can stop there and you will be all set. However many people like to layer a wax on top for more depth and gloss and more protection. If you want to try a nice high end wax I would recommend the Natty's Red or P12S Wax. Both of them look great on silver!

Let me know if I can help you any further!

Greg @ Detailed Image
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:47 AM   #2186
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo323ci View Post
Greg,

I remember you saying not to use 303 Aerospace on the steering wheel, what would you recommend then?

Also when applying the rejuvenator with your hand, you massage it in correct? I thought I remember you saying it was better to do it that way instead of using an applicator? Also I want to spray the rejuvenator and prestine clean on right?
Generally speaking I do not really like to put any protection or dressing on the steering wheel, for fear that it may make the surface slick (especially if your hands are slightly sweaty). I have used the Prestine Clean and Rejuvenator Oil on vinyl and leather steering wheels to keep them soft and help prevent fading, drying out, etc. You can really apply it either way (hand or applicator) and you'll get great results. If you use your hands it helps warm the product which allows it to penetrate deeper into the surface. Both works well and you won't be disappointed either way.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 07-16-2008, 11:29 AM   #2187
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Quote:
Thank you for the detailed post, that really helps me help you. You are correct natural carnauba waxes do not hold up well against intense heat. Carnauba waxes have more moisture in them and tend to evaporate much faster than a sealant will. Sealants will protect much better, especially in the heat. The Poorboy's World EX-P is a great value for a quality sealant. If you want something with a little more depth and gloss try the Chemical Cuys M-Seal or the Blackfire Wet Diamond. If you want to get some of my favorite sealants that have the best combination of shine, ease of use, protection, etc. try either the Chemical Guys Jetseal 109 or Menzerna FMJ. Those two sealants work exceptionally well and make light colored paint look outstanding. With all of these sealants you should only need one ounce per coat or less for best results and value.

When you are done applying a sealant you can stop there and you will be all set. However many people like to layer a wax on top for more depth and gloss and more protection. If you want to try a nice high end wax I would recommend the Natty's Red or P12S Wax. Both of them look great on silver!

Let me know if I can help you any further!

Greg @ Detailed Image
Thanks Greg, I knew that you would have some additional information for me.

My ignorance is really going to shine through here...but can you provide me a recommendation out of the four products that you listed above? To me, the descriptions are all saying the same thing. Obviously, they have different price points, but let's say that I'm looking for the best based on the following criteria; Ease of use, protection, price, gloss.

Last two questions - 1)Does the sealant dry to a haze like carnuba wax and 2)Will the Chemical Guys CWG strip off the sealer like it does to a wax if not diluted enough?

Thanks again, and please feel free to take this to PMs if necessary.

Last edited by Serbonze; 07-16-2008 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:51 PM   #2188
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Thanks Greg, I knew that you would have some additional information for me.

My ignorance is really going to shine through here...but can you provide me a recommendation out of the four products that you listed above? To me, the descriptions are all saying the same thing. Obviously, they have different price points, but let's say that I'm looking for the best based on the following criteria; Ease of use, protection, price, gloss.

Last two questions - 1)Does the sealant dry to a haze like carnuba wax and 2)Will the Chemical Guys CWG strip off the sealer like it does to a wax if not diluted enough?

Thanks again, and please feel free to take this to PMs if necessary.
No worries at all, I'm here to help and I'm sure there are others out there with the same questions. Essentially all the sealants do the same basic things shine and protect. It's hard to truly distinguish each one with universal differences that would apply to all vehicles and conditions. The price almost directly reflects my opinion of the product. The less expensive ones work well but would rank slightly lower than the more expensive ones. Typically the more expensive ones have a deeper shine and slightly more protection. The EX-P is the most affordable and a great value. The M-Seal and Wet Diamond are in the second tier for price and performance. My favorite two products (Menzerna FMJ and GC Jetseal 109) are more expensive but offer the best overall performance in my opinion. The Jetseal 109 is arguably the best sealant out right now with a nice deep shine, very durable protection and an easy to use formula. The Menzerna FMJ is also exceptional with a deep shine, very good protection and is probably the easiest sealant to apply and remove. In my opinion the FMJ and Jetseal 109 are the two best to work with and will give you the best results. If I absolutely have to choose one I would probably pick the Jetseal 109 by a very slight margin.

Sealants are more clear than a wax typically is. I often buff on the product to an entire 1 - 3 panels and then go back and remove the excess product. It doesn't look too white so I recommend working in a logical pattern to make sure you get it all. It's kind of hard to see at first but you'll get the hang of knowing how to see it very quickly. Typically you just have to get it in the right light.

Yes the CG CW&G will strip off the sealant like a wax without proper dilution.

I'm sorry I don't have more specifics on the sealants but I hope the information I shared will help. I honestly like every sealant on our site (or else I wouldn't carry it) and they will all give you very good results. Each person has a different prep process and perception of the results so it's tough to say what definitely works best. Let me know if I can help you any further.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 07-16-2008, 01:24 PM   #2189
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Quote:
No worries at all, I'm here to help and I'm sure there are others out there with the same questions. Essentially all the sealants do the same basic things shine and protect. It's hard to truly distinguish each one with universal differences that would apply to all vehicles and conditions. The price almost directly reflects my opinion of the product. The less expensive ones work well but would rank slightly lower than the more expensive ones. Typically the more expensive ones have a deeper shine and slightly more protection. The EX-P is the most affordable and a great value. The M-Seal and Wet Diamond are in the second tier for price and performance. My favorite two products (Menzerna FMJ and GC Jetseal 109) are more expensive but offer the best overall performance in my opinion. The Jetseal 109 is arguably the best sealant out right now with a nice deep shine, very durable protection and an easy to use formula. The Menzerna FMJ is also exceptional with a deep shine, very good protection and is probably the easiest sealant to apply and remove. In my opinion the FMJ and Jetseal 109 are the two best to work with and will give you the best results. If I absolutely have to choose one I would probably pick the Jetseal 109 by a very slight margin.

Sealants are more clear than a wax typically is. I often buff on the product to an entire 1 - 3 panels and then go back and remove the excess product. It doesn't look too white so I recommend working in a logical pattern to make sure you get it all. It's kind of hard to see at first but you'll get the hang of knowing how to see it very quickly. Typically you just have to get it in the right light.

Yes the CG CW&G will strip off the sealant like a wax without proper dilution.

I'm sorry I don't have more specifics on the sealants but I hope the information I shared will help. I honestly like every sealant on our site (or else I wouldn't carry it) and they will all give you very good results. Each person has a different prep process and perception of the results so it's tough to say what definitely works best. Let me know if I can help you any further.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Thanks Greg, your honesty and opinion is all that I can ask from you. I'll do some more research on both the FMJ and Jetseal and then place an order later in the week. If I have more specific questions prior to the order, I'll PM you to avoid spam on the board.

- Jeff
Old 07-16-2008, 04:11 PM   #2190
slo323ci

My Ride: 00 323ci
Quote:
Thanks Greg, your honesty and opinion is all that I can ask from you. I'll do some more research on both the FMJ and Jetseal and then place an order later in the week. If I have more specific questions prior to the order, I'll PM you to avoid spam on the board.

- Jeff
Jeff,

Don't worry about, some of your questions have helped me out too and saved me from asking Greg! haha

Its better to have them here so everyone can get the information too and search for it when they need it!
slo323ci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:18 PM   #2191
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Okay, as long as people don't mind the continuation of this conversation...

I checked into both of the products (Jet Seal 109 and FMJ). I've read a few reports that the protection and beading of the FMJ tends to fail after the first few washes. I then read a review from Detail University (http://www.detailuniversity.com/foru...-jet-seal.html) that sings the praises of Jet Seal. I also found many other posts in other forums that express the wonders of Jet Seal.

However!

There was an interesting post on the DU website where one person questioned the difference between the Jet Seal and the M-Seal. This discussion came up because of the cost difference.

Greg - I think I've ruled out the FMJ due to the responses that I found about it's quick deterioration. Can you expand upon the difference between the Jet Seal 109 and M-Seal? Please keep mind my order of criteria: Ease of use, protection, price, gloss.

Thanks again!

- Jeff
Old 07-17-2008, 07:20 AM   #2192
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Strange...I can't edit my post. I was going to add one other question regarding something that was posted on the DU forum. What is Polycharger CH2?
Old 07-17-2008, 08:03 AM   #2193
MasterKzhp
Banned

My Ride: 330i zhp
cleaning cloth mid sections of the alcantara interior

I have been going at this for some time. I've tried Turtle wax fabric cleaner, OxyClean carpet stain remover and dabbed with a moist cloth etc. I have had almost no luck with this. I was wondering if I could get some guidance or maybe an excellent over the counter product to help me accomplish this task I find having to do quite often... especially when any kind of liquid is spilled.....

I am continuously noticing a circular stain type ring(s) becomes visible when wet in any way shape or form

Anyone have any experience with this? Maybe I'm using to much fabric cleaner and maybe I should get a towl with warm water and try and soak some stuff up?

Maybe a steam cleaner on the fabric?

Thanks!
MasterKzhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 04:41 PM   #2194
bimmer07
Banned

My Ride: //////////M
Send a message via AIM to bimmer07
Got any suggestions for conditioning/cleaning an alcantara wheel?
bimmer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:30 PM   #2195
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Okay, as long as people don't mind the continuation of this conversation...

I checked into both of the products (Jet Seal 109 and FMJ). I've read a few reports that the protection and beading of the FMJ tends to fail after the first few washes. I then read a review from Detail University (http://www.detailuniversity.com/foru...-jet-seal.html) that sings the praises of Jet Seal. I also found many other posts in other forums that express the wonders of Jet Seal.

However!

There was an interesting post on the DU website where one person questioned the difference between the Jet Seal and the M-Seal. This discussion came up because of the cost difference.

Greg - I think I've ruled out the FMJ due to the responses that I found about it's quick deterioration. Can you expand upon the difference between the Jet Seal 109 and M-Seal? Please keep mind my order of criteria: Ease of use, protection, price, gloss.

Thanks again!

- Jeff
Quote:
Strange...I can't edit my post. I was going to add one other question regarding something that was posted on the DU forum. What is Polycharger CH2?
First off it's hard even for me to distinguish the products at the molecular level. Manufacturers are often reserved in providing many specifics about products beyond the information they provide in their descriptions. Therefore this information is based off my experiences and the collective knowledge I've gained from interacting with other detailers. The Jetseal 109's primary advantage is going to be it's durability, which to me is the primary asset of any sealant. Few if any sealants really compare in durability. The depth of the shine is also deeper in my opinion. The M-seal is highly reflective but doesn't give you quite as much of the "wet" look in my opinion. Both of them are quite easy to use.

Polycharger is an additive that you can combine with sealants. It's designed to help the polymers interlink as opposed to just resting near each other. It's supposed to noticeably improve the durability of the sealant.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 07-17-2008, 10:50 PM   #2196
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterKzhp View Post
I have been going at this for some time. I've tried Turtle wax fabric cleaner, OxyClean carpet stain remover and dabbed with a moist cloth etc. I have had almost no luck with this. I was wondering if I could get some guidance or maybe an excellent over the counter product to help me accomplish this task I find having to do quite often... especially when any kind of liquid is spilled.....

I am continuously noticing a circular stain type ring(s) becomes visible when wet in any way shape or form

Anyone have any experience with this? Maybe I'm using to much fabric cleaner and maybe I should get a towl with warm water and try and soak some stuff up?

Maybe a steam cleaner on the fabric?

Thanks!
The OxyClean should be able to help you remove most stains. For difficult stains I apply the cleaner to the area and wait about 1 - 2 minutes. Then I agitate the area with a damp brush (dipped in water) to help break it up. Definitely don't use too much product, it generally will not help. The ring you are seeing may be potentially from too much cleaning product that has not been removed from the carpet.

Steam cleaners are pretty good but not a miracle product. Essentially they shoot hot soapy water on the surface. You could essentially just boil water and use that by dipping your brush in it and agitating the stain that has been pre-treated with the cleaner.

I know you were looking for an over the counter cleaner but I thought I would suggest my favorite carpet cleaner in case you change your mind or for others in a similar situation. The 303 Cleaner and Spot Remover does a very good job of safely separating and lifting contaminants from fabrics. I also highly recommend protecting the carpets with the 303 Fabric Guard. This will help prevent stains from forming and make future cleanings easier.

Let me know if I can help you any further.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 07-17-2008, 10:54 PM   #2197
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer07 View Post
Got any suggestions for conditioning/cleaning an alcantara wheel?
Alcantara is basically ultra suede and it should be cared for regularly if possible to keep it looking new. The first thing we do is brush the fabric with a clean soft nylon brush going the same direction as the nap. This helps brush out dust, contaminates, etc and show where stains and pilling is. If there is any pilling of the material you can carefully remove them with a single sided razor blade. If there are stains or build ups you want to remove you can lightly spray a fabric cleaning solution on the area. We typically use the 303 Cleaner and Spot Remover or the 303 Fabric Cleaner diluted to 8:1 or more. I lightly spray the affected area and gently brush the surface. Make sure the surface is in a well vented area that can help the material dry. You do not want the surface to remain wet for extended periods of time.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 07-18-2008, 07:00 AM   #2198
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Quote:
First off it's hard even for me to distinguish the products at the molecular level. Manufacturers are often reserved in providing many specifics about products beyond the information they provide in their descriptions. Therefore this information is based off my experiences and the collective knowledge I've gained from interacting with other detailers. The Jetseal 109's primary advantage is going to be it's durability, which to me is the primary asset of any sealant. Few if any sealants really compare in durability. The depth of the shine is also deeper in my opinion. The M-seal is highly reflective but doesn't give you quite as much of the "wet" look in my opinion. Both of them are quite easy to use.

Polycharger is an additive that you can combine with sealants. It's designed to help the polymers interlink as opposed to just resting near each other. It's supposed to noticeably improve the durability of the sealant.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Thanks!
Old 07-18-2008, 11:27 AM   #2199
MasterKzhp
Banned

My Ride: 330i zhp
Dude Awesome!

Thanks So Much!
MasterKzhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:03 PM   #2200
KDS

My Ride: 2005 325i Sport
Stiff plastics

I'm sure you've already answered this, but this thread is now 110 pages long!

What's your recommendation for cleaning shoe scuff marks off of stiff upholstered surfaces (like lower door panels and front seat backs)? I find that E46s use a material that marks VERY easily and really doesn't like to come clean. Not looking for any sort of protectant, just a gentle cleaning process.
KDS is offline   Reply With Quote