E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 37 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:53 AM   #2201
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDS View Post
I'm sure you've already answered this, but this thread is now 110 pages long!

What's your recommendation for cleaning shoe scuff marks off of stiff upholstered surfaces (like lower door panels and front seat backs)? I find that E46s use a material that marks VERY easily and really doesn't like to come clean. Not looking for any sort of protectant, just a gentle cleaning process.
Scuffs are probably one of the most common questions with cars in general. The problem with scuffs is that you are actually scuffing the surface, which means you're physically removing some of the plastic trim of your vehicle. Once this happens there is no quick fix for replacing the material that has been scuffed or otherwise altered. Typically I can remove some of the black but the scuff and some black marking generally remains. I typically use the 303 Cleaner and Spot Remover in this situation with a microfiber towel. The results are good but not outstanding in my experiences. I've tried tons of different cleaning products, but none that give you like new results. If anyone here has found a process that does work significantly better I would love to hear more about it.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:39 PM   #2202
KDS

My Ride: 2005 325i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregs View Post
I've tried tons of different cleaning products, but none that give you like new results.

Greg @ Detailed Image
On black interiors, how do you think shoe polish might work? Of course, I'd never use it on seating surfaces, but I thought it might do a nice job of "filling" scuffs on on seat backs and other no-touch upholstered surfaces.
KDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:19 AM   #2203
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDS View Post
On black interiors, how do you think shoe polish might work? Of course, I'd never use it on seating surfaces, but I thought it might do a nice job of "filling" scuffs on on seat backs and other no-touch upholstered surfaces.
I personally don't mind trying anything once, but you may want to test it on a test panel or other "beater" vehicle that you're not too concerned about. My biggest concern is that this will not fix the problem. The shoe polish could help temporarily coat the area, but I don't think it will truly hide the scuff. I don't think I would use it on the vinyl surfaces (doors, dashboard, etc) either. I would fear that it may look uneven and not be totally safe for the vinyl's long term care. You could do some experiments but I would again suggest doing it on a "beater" vehicle or spare panel from a junk yard first.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 07-26-2008, 03:10 PM   #2204
steve132221

My Ride: 2003 330i
Send a message via AIM to steve132221
First off, let me thank everyone for all of your wisdom. I love coming to this forum and seeing all of the paint restorations being done. Anyways, I have a 2003 330i Jet Black. I live in the northeastern US so the winters are murder to any cars paint because of the snow, slush, and worst of all - road salt. The car wash that i used to work at has a great detail shop..i mean i know some of you guys do better work than they do, but its the best i have in my town. I had my car waxed with a teflon sealant. I know a lot of you probably disagree with that type of sealant, but i promise that the car looks great with it. The only thing is, i dont know what kind of products i can use to remove the spider webbing from my car. i know this teflon sealant has a 5 year warranty..all i do is get it cleaned with this bottle of cleaner from the factory, but it doesnt really remove the spider webs scratches..i dont want to ruin the sealant on my car, so i didnt know if anyone knew of some products to help me out. the paint is very glossy and water beads right off, i just want to get those stupid scratches out. Once again, your wisdom is appreciated! Thank You.
steve132221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 04:06 PM   #2205
M0nk3y
Banned

My Ride: 2002 325xi
To get any of those scratches off, you will need some sort of polish. And at the very least a PC DA buffer........

I like to use Menzerna SIP and 106FF to get my scratches out............
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:21 PM   #2206
stussystatus

My Ride: 2002 BMW M3
Greg, its about leather in my car. We had a long trip and my friend had her cell phone in her back pocket for a good while. Now theres an huge indent on my seat, any idea how to reshape it or fix it?
stussystatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:47 PM   #2207
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve132221 View Post
First off, let me thank everyone for all of your wisdom. I love coming to this forum and seeing all of the paint restorations being done. Anyways, I have a 2003 330i Jet Black. I live in the northeastern US so the winters are murder to any cars paint because of the snow, slush, and worst of all - road salt. The car wash that i used to work at has a great detail shop..i mean i know some of you guys do better work than they do, but its the best i have in my town. I had my car waxed with a teflon sealant. I know a lot of you probably disagree with that type of sealant, but i promise that the car looks great with it. The only thing is, i dont know what kind of products i can use to remove the spider webbing from my car. i know this teflon sealant has a 5 year warranty..all i do is get it cleaned with this bottle of cleaner from the factory, but it doesnt really remove the spider webs scratches..i dont want to ruin the sealant on my car, so i didnt know if anyone knew of some products to help me out. the paint is very glossy and water beads right off, i just want to get those stupid scratches out. Once again, your wisdom is appreciated! Thank You.
My recommendation depends on how deep the scratches are. If you can catch your finger nail on it it may require some touch up work. If it's a very light scratch I would recommend you polish the surface. Let me how deep you approximate the depth and I would be happy to provide more recommendations. Also do you have a buffer and polishes?

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 07-27-2008, 12:54 PM   #2208
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by stussystatus View Post
Greg, its about leather in my car. We had a long trip and my friend had her cell phone in her back pocket for a good while. Now theres an huge indent on my seat, any idea how to reshape it or fix it?
It's tough to say for sure how much can be removed from the marking. Here is what I would do. I would apply a generous amount of leather conditioner to the surface and let the seat sit in direct sun or turn on a heated seat. The conditioner will help soften the leather and allow it to expand and contract better. Unfortunately this does not guarantee the seat to look new again but it should help. The Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil is my product of choice for strong conditioning power.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 07-27-2008, 03:07 PM   #2209
steve132221

My Ride: 2003 330i
Send a message via AIM to steve132221
Greg, thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I guess a better description of the paint is that it is more or less swirled not from a buffer or anything, but rather from being washed etc... The paint is very smooth, but it has been about 2.5 months since i had the sealant cleaned and the car clayed. The only reason i have someone do this for me is because its a black car and i dont want to cause any swirls...even though i just get them anyway from getting it washed. I do have a porter cable with 2 brand new yellow foam pads that i can use if you recommend anything. after polishing it, if that is your recommendation, would i then continue to use the sealant cleaner to top it all off? Thanks again for your advice.
steve132221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:21 PM   #2210
Greg@DetailedImage.com

It sounds like you don't have any scratches, but more swirls and other fine imperfections in the clear coat. With the Porter Cable 7424, pads and polishes you should be able to remove a lot of the imperfections and restore a more vibrant shine. You will also make the clear coat look and feel smoother so the sealant/wax bonds to the paint better and reflects a deeper shine. I would recommend using a two step polishing process, using both a medium (apply with orange light cutting pad) and light polish (apply with white polishing pad). My favorite combination is the Menzerna Super Intensive Polish (PO83) and the PO106FF another good combination is the Menzerna Intensive Polish and Final Polish II. This should help remove swirls and make the paint look much more optically clear. After you are done I would apply a sealant with a blue finishing pad. The yellow pad is one of the most aggressive pads and you may want to use it on deeper imperfections. I wouldn't use the yellow pad just yet unless there are deeper imperfections you can't get out with the recommendations listed above. Let me know if you need any more specific recommendations or information.

Greg @ Detailed Image

Last edited by Greg@DetailedImage.com; 07-27-2008 at 06:40 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:20 PM   #2211
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Quote:
First off it's hard even for me to distinguish the products at the molecular level. Manufacturers are often reserved in providing many specifics about products beyond the information they provide in their descriptions. Therefore this information is based off my experiences and the collective knowledge I've gained from interacting with other detailers. The Jetseal 109's primary advantage is going to be it's durability, which to me is the primary asset of any sealant. Few if any sealants really compare in durability. The depth of the shine is also deeper in my opinion. The M-seal is highly reflective but doesn't give you quite as much of the "wet" look in my opinion. Both of them are quite easy to use.

Polycharger is an additive that you can combine with sealants. It's designed to help the polymers interlink as opposed to just resting near each other. It's supposed to noticeably improve the durability of the sealant.

Greg @ Detailed Image

Greg,

Thank you again for your time and advice. I decided to try the M-Seal based on your advice from this post, and the discussion on the Detail University message board, and this being the first shot at using a sealer. I just placed the order, and look forward to trying it out!

- Jeff
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:06 AM   #2212
stussystatus

Quote:
It's tough to say for sure how much can be removed from the marking. Here is what I would do. I would apply a generous amount of leather conditioner to the surface and let the seat sit in direct sun or turn on a heated seat. The conditioner will help soften the leather and allow it to expand and contract better. Unfortunately this does not guarantee the seat to look new again but it should help. The Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil is my product of choice for strong conditioning power.

Greg @ Detailed Image
IT WORKS! it looks new again! Thanks Greg.

Another thing though, any good products for waxing/polish vinyl (sticker). My roof is vinyl'd black.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:52 PM   #2213
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
Greg,

Thank you again for your time and advice. I decided to try the M-Seal based on your advice from this post, and the discussion on the Detail University message board, and this being the first shot at using a sealer. I just placed the order, and look forward to trying it out!

- Jeff
Glad to hear you found the information and products you wanted! Thank you for your support. Your order has shipped and you should see it shortly!

Quote:
IT WORKS! it looks new again! Thanks Greg.

Another thing though, any good products for waxing/polish vinyl (sticker). My roof is vinyl'd black.
Victory! Congrats on getting the seats back to looking like new again!

Can you clarify your last question? Are you looking for cleaning and/or protection for a vinyl top or is the entire top a vinyl sticker. The more details you can provide the better, so I can provide more accurate advice.

Greg @ Detailed Imgae
Old 07-30-2008, 08:19 PM   #2214
W///

My Ride: E30, E46, E92 M3
Hi, I have a few questions.

1. What can you do about really small rockchips that are quite deep (see some rust). These are pretty tiny though. Would touch up paint be good enough?

2. What do you guys normally use to clean up the black bumper and door strips? Mine is pretty faded and if I can make it shine again, it would make my already clean silver car look even better.

Thanks in advance.
W/// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:24 AM   #2215
stussystatus

Quote:
Glad to hear you found the information and products you wanted! Thank you for your support. Your order has shipped and you should see it shortly!

Victory! Congrats on getting the seats back to looking like new again!

Can you clarify your last question? Are you looking for cleaning and/or protection for a vinyl top or is the entire top a vinyl sticker. The more details you can provide the better, so I can provide more accurate advice.

Greg @ Detailed Imgae
My whole roof is a vinyl sticker. I need some protection from the sun since it is black. I can't believe how the oil rejuv made my seats so soft and the leather went back to its normal shape !
Old 07-31-2008, 10:47 AM   #2216
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaiballs View Post
Hi, I have a few questions.

1. What can you do about really small rockchips that are quite deep (see some rust). These are pretty tiny though. Would touch up paint be good enough?

2. What do you guys normally use to clean up the black bumper and door strips? Mine is pretty faded and if I can make it shine again, it would make my already clean silver car look even better.

Thanks in advance.
1.) Yes the touch up paint is probably the best way to fix them, besides going to a full re-spray. The key to a good touch up job is lots of patience and multiple coats of paint, wet sanding and polishing. I would suggest following the instructions here on post #42 and #43 on Ask a Professional Detailer.

2. Yes making the trim look dark helps create a sharper contrast and thus improve the overall appearance. First off you have to clean the surface first with a light degreaser for any treatment to make the paint look new again. I spray the 303 Cleaner and Spot Remover or a diluted Poorboy's World Bio-APC on it and wipe it down with a rag. If the trim is really dirty or clogged with other dressings then I would recommend using a brush, but make sure you avoid hitting the paint. Next I would recommend using the Chemical Guys Fade 2 Black or the Leatherique Rubber Black Dye. They will help make the trim look much darker. I also recommend protecting the trim further with the 303 Aerospace Protectant after. It will help prevent UV fading and make the trim look more bold. Also avoid silicone based dressings, they can cause fading.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 07-31-2008, 10:52 AM   #2217
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
My whole roof is a vinyl sticker. I need some protection from the sun since it is black. I can't believe how the oil rejuv made my seats so soft and the leather went back to its normal shape !
Again I'm thrilled for you that my recommendations and products were able to help. My goal is to get the right products in my customers hands, not just push products. I'm sure it has been a big relief for you as well.

Vinyl can sometimes be a little more challenging to work around. I would most likely just protect the surface with a quality sealant (i.e. Chemical Guys Jetseal 109, Menzerna FMJ, Blackfire Wet Diamond, etc). You could also use a product like the 303 Aerospace Protectant which protects vinyl, plastic, rubber, leather, etc.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 08-18-2008, 05:44 PM   #2218
stussystatus

Greg how do you clean the sunroof lining on the roof thats like velvet or w/e. on E46's. Theres alot of "lint" on it and very hard to remove with just using fingers.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:05 PM   #2219
Greg@DetailedImage.com

It's a difficult surface to clean. You can sometimes brush the surface with a soft brush. It does a good job of stirring up particles and removing lint, dust, etc. This is usually my go to method. You can also use some tape as well to help pull away particles. If you need to remove some stains I use the 303 Cleaner and Spot Remover and a soft scrub brush or microfiber towel.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 08-19-2008, 01:17 PM   #2220
Rayce185
Modifiziertes ///Mitglied

I'm not sure if this has been asked already, and I'm sorry if it has, but:

What are the basic steps for a halfway decent exterior cleaning/detailing?
-Soaking
-Washing
-etc...

And how often should it be done?
|

dun dun duuuunnnn
Rayce185 is offline   Reply With Quote