E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 46 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:29 PM   #2241
WickedIXMR

My Ride: 2005 Alpine White m3
Hey Greg, how do you guys clean polished wheels? I noticed my wheels were a tad dirty so I got some all purpose spray and wiped them down and noticed there were still water marks there and looks like a lot of swirl marks. So I got metal polish and used that and cleaned the surface good but seems like it make more swirl marks any help would be greatly appreciated!
WickedIXMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:04 PM   #2242
ctsvkilla

My Ride: E46 M3
I am looking for a product that will be able to clean my wheel wells, under body, under fenders and bumper. It needs to beable to take off tar/road scum with out messing up the paint and plastic trims. Do you know of a product that will do that?
ctsvkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:07 PM   #2243
M0nk3y
Banned

My Ride: 2002 325xi
(For post above)

CG Grime Reaper

http://www.detailedimage.com/Chemica...e-Reaper-P180/

You really want to use this ONLY under the car......This stuff is nasty........

If you want to clean your wheels, use P21s Wheel Gel
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:37 PM   #2244
ctsvkilla

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
(For post above)

CG Grime Reaper

http://www.detailedimage.com/Chemica...e-Reaper-P180/

You really want to use this ONLY under the car......This stuff is nasty........

If you want to clean your wheels, use P21s Wheel Gel
I use p21s for the wheels, but under my side skirts there is some built up tar, I was wonder what product you would use for that?
ctsvkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:31 PM   #2245
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdrivedrift View Post
Hey Greg, I have a few questions:

Can I use JetSeal109 to seal my windows/glass? Also, my car has some pretty heavy swirls and bad water spots, would PO106FF be able to get rid of it or should I use a more intensive polish followed by a final polish? If so, what intensive polish/final polish combination do you recommend?
Yes you can use the Jetseal 109 on exterior glass, smooth plastic headlights, etc. If you have some bad swirls and water marks you'll definitely need at least a medium and light polish. My favorite combination is the Menzerna Super Intensive Polish and PO106FF. If you want something more affordable try the Menzerna Intensive Polish and Final Polish II. Using a buffer will also be extremely helpful in breaking down these polishes and working them into the surface for best results. If you need any suggestions or information about some of our easy and safe to use buffers please let me know.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:36 PM   #2246
00bmw323

My Ride: 00 323/91 integra RS
is there something i can use to remove fine scratches/swirls by hand??

-Jorge
All low no go
00bmw323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:38 PM   #2247
M0nk3y
Banned

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsvkilla View Post
I use p21s for the wheels, but under my side skirts there is some built up tar, I was wonder what product you would use for that?
as long as the tar isn't on your paint. The Grime Reaper would be good
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:42 PM   #2248
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedIXMR View Post
Hey Greg, how do you guys clean polished wheels? I noticed my wheels were a tad dirty so I got some all purpose spray and wiped them down and noticed there were still water marks there and looks like a lot of swirl marks. So I got metal polish and used that and cleaned the surface good but seems like it make more swirl marks any help would be greatly appreciated!
Polished wheels are often sensitive so I clean them with pH neutral cleaners like the P21S Wheel Gel or the Chemical Guys Citrus Wheel and Rim Cleaner. Additionally they are sensitive to fine scratches as well from contaminants being ground in to the surface, which is difficult to prevent. Typically I spray down the wheels with a cleaner, let it sit for at least 1 - 2 minutes and then rinse the wheels down. I then re-spray the wheels and agitate the surface as needed with a clean sponge or microfiber towel. It's really important to keep dipping your mitt in clean water and try not to grind in contaminants that can cause fine scratches. Additionally I like to put a coat of sealant (Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant) on the wheels for two reasons. It makes cleaning safer and easier by providing a micro-barrier between the wheel and the environment. It helps reduce the amount of build ups and make future cleanings much easier, which helps avoid scrubbing and possibly scratching the surface. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 10-02-2008, 10:44 PM   #2249
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsvkilla View Post
I am looking for a product that will be able to clean my wheel wells, under body, under fenders and bumper. It needs to beable to take off tar/road scum with out messing up the paint and plastic trims. Do you know of a product that will do that?
Monk3y hit the nail on the head Grime Reaper is really impressive cleaner for the undercarriage and wheel wells. It's really strong and is normally diluted at about 5:1 ratio of water to cleaner so it's a great value as well.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 10-02-2008, 10:47 PM   #2250
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00bmw323 View Post
is there something i can use to remove fine scratches/swirls by hand??
Polishes are the key to removing swirls. They work best when applied with a buffer, but hand applications still work. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 10-02-2008, 11:57 PM   #2251
00bmw323

My Ride: 00 323/91 integra RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregs View Post
Polishes are the key to removing swirls. They work best when applied with a buffer, but hand applications still work. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image
recommend anything that works good?

-Jorge
All low no go
00bmw323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:08 PM   #2252
Greg@DetailedImage.com

My go to polishes are the Menzerna Super Intensive Polish and the Menzerna PO106FF. Together they have excellent cutting power and produce a great finish. For excellent value try the Menzerna Intensive Polish and Final Polish II. This is another great medium and light polish combo.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 10-06-2008, 11:56 AM   #2253
Vietside

My Ride: 2001 BMW M3
Hey, sorry if this was already mentioned but when I am cleaning my wheels, I get a rust-type build up on my rotors...When I drive all of this rust is accumulated onto the lip of my wheels...Could it be because of my Wheel Cleaner? I use a local brand bought at Autozone, but ordered my PB Wheel Gel Cleaner and it's coming today...

Basically what I am asking, is there a way to avoid this rust build up on my rotors? I know it can't be good for my rotors either.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:17 PM   #2254
Greg@DetailedImage.com

If the rotors are already a little rusted then the cleaner or even just water may introduce the rust to the wheel again. To avoid this I would avoid cleaning the wheels anytime they are warm from regular driving or even just high temperatures. I also spray the cleaners very carefully on the wheel to avoid the rotors or spray it at an angle so it's less likely to happen. I'll spray half the wheel while standing all the way to the left and right of the wheel, so the spray doesn't go too far past the face of the wheel. Using a pH neutral cleaner like the P21S Wheel Gel or the Chemical Guys Citrus Wheel and Rim Cleaner there probably won't be as strong of a reaction. If you coat the wheels with a sealant that will also make cleanings easier in the future.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 10-07-2008, 03:13 PM   #2255
cozzkre

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325ci
Wow, I feel dumb. Resisted the temptation to have my windows tinted and a hot Georgia Summer has ruined my interior. I bought my 2002 325ci in October of last year and the owner told me it was garage kept for every day of the cars life. Now, I have a job that I work 8-5 with no shaded parking and it has caused my cloth interior to unravel. It appears that the molding around the windows expanded in the heat and the interior could no longer support it. Now it flops around and hangs and looks like garbage. This happened quickly, one day I noticed it was a little loose before I went into work, I came back to my car at the end of the day and it had unfurled itself!

I would like it to look as good as it did pre-summer heat, so I doubt I am going to pull a DIY on this one. What would be a reasonable charge for an interior expert to fix this problem. I only have 1 interior guy in my area (small rural town), so I'm sure he'll want to overcharge. Would like to hear your expert opinion here and also take the well deserved chastising for leaving my car unprotected against the elements.

Thanks for your help,
Ryan

GATA
cozzkre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:42 AM   #2256
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozzkre View Post
Wow, I feel dumb. Resisted the temptation to have my windows tinted and a hot Georgia Summer has ruined my interior. I bought my 2002 325ci in October of last year and the owner told me it was garage kept for every day of the cars life. Now, I have a job that I work 8-5 with no shaded parking and it has caused my cloth interior to unravel. It appears that the molding around the windows expanded in the heat and the interior could no longer support it. Now it flops around and hangs and looks like garbage. This happened quickly, one day I noticed it was a little loose before I went into work, I came back to my car at the end of the day and it had unfurled itself!

I would like it to look as good as it did pre-summer heat, so I doubt I am going to pull a DIY on this one. What would be a reasonable charge for an interior expert to fix this problem. I only have 1 interior guy in my area (small rural town), so I'm sure he'll want to overcharge. Would like to hear your expert opinion here and also take the well deserved chastising for leaving my car unprotected against the elements.

Thanks for your help,
Ryan
No worries, you're aware of the problem, you'll make the appropriate changes going forward and that is really all you can do in life. Unfortunately I'm not an interior restoration expert so this is not my exact field of expertise. I would suggest getting the facts from the local guy because maybe they are good and reasonable. Also try calling a local dealership or one close to your office or near any other place you may commute to. You could also try posting in your regional section or other parts of this forum to see what others have tried or if they recommend a place. In the future I think tinting the windows and protecting the interior will help. Try looking in to the 303 Aerospace Protectant (vinyl, rubber, plastic) UV protectant and the 303 Fabric Guard. Good Luck!

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 10-08-2008, 11:51 AM   #2257
WickedIXMR

My Ride: 2005 Alpine White m3
Hey Greg what do you guys do about cleaning leather. I really hate that shiny leather look. I want to get a cleaner that keeps the leather look like that brand new dull look. Thanks for the help you guys at detailed image are amazing!
WickedIXMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:34 PM   #2258
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Glad to hear we've been helpful to you. Hands down the product of choice for me is the Leatherique Prestine Clean and Rejuvenator Oil. They leave a matte finish and keep the leather soft yet strong. I use it once every 2 - 4 months to keep the leather in top condition. I protect the seats with the 303 Aerospace Protectant, which I also use on anything rubber, vinyl and plastic. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 10-08-2008, 06:54 PM   #2259
mrc1utch

My Ride: 02 BMW 325i
Hey Greg, do you know anything about the Leather Master Trio Kit? If so which would be better Leatherique Prestine Clean and Rejuvenator Oil combination or the Trio Kit? Thanks
mrc1utch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:46 PM   #2260
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc1utch View Post
Hey Greg, do you know anything about the Leather Master Trio Kit? If so which would be better Leatherique Prestine Clean and Rejuvenator Oil combination or the Trio Kit? Thanks
Tough to answer. I prefer to try and not compare the performance of competitors products with ours. It's often very subjective and tough to provide quantitative differences. I never want to bad mouth a competitors product either. We carry the Leatherique products because of there extremely high quality results on both leather and "leatherette" seats. Maybe someone else on the forum has direct experience with both that can better compare the results. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Greg @ Detailed Image