E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 46 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:27 AM   #221
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
I'm not a professional, but tblue3cibm, I would definitely try to do a couple things.

#1- cover up any wires or electrical parts that are exposed, I suggest using a tint fold or something similar.

#2- if you're going to use trim shine to brighten up the plastic pieces, avoid using petroleum based products and try to use water based.

#3- just be extremely meticulous and careful about what you clean and how you clean it. not just for your car's sake, but for you. it's very easy to burn yourself. I know that first hand

-Ken
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 06:01 AM   #222
Detailed Image
Sponsor

My Ride: Audi S4
Send a message via AIM to Detailed Image
Ken pretty much summed it up,

BMW's pretty much have it easy since most of the engine is covered by heat shields and engine covers. We will cover exposed electrical stuff with aluminum foil... just make sure you take it off when you are done!

If you have an exposed intake, you want to cover up the filter.

Other than that there isn't much prep work. I suggest using 303 Aerospace Protectant for touching up parts of the engine and giving it a real nice matte finish.

Hope that helps!

George

Wash & Dry Products, Clay Bars, Polishes, Sealants, and Waxes
10offe46 - Discount Code for 10% Off for e46fanatics members
Detail University - Detailing Enthusiast Discussion Forum
Detailed Image is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 07:45 AM   #223
teclis

My Ride: BMW 330ci
George did you get my PM? Wanted to know whether you shipped to the UK?
teclis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 12:39 PM   #224
Detailed Image
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by teclis
George did you get my PM? Wanted to know whether you shipped to the UK?
PM sent, yes we will ship to UK

George

Old 09-23-2005, 06:53 PM   #225
BayerischeMW
Man with No Name

My Ride: '07 E92 335i
George, I received the package today (friday) and I've sent you an e-mail!

one quick question though: the Menzerna High Gloss Acrylic Shield, how should it be applied? like a regular sealant, using a microfiber applicator pad and buffing off with a microfiber towel?

"if you wanna be king of the ring, this is the kind of car you should get" -M3 CSL
"there's no replacement for displacement" - only BMW ///M
BayerischeMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 08:02 PM   #226
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayerischeMW
George, I received the package today (friday) and I've sent you an e-mail!

one quick question though: the Menzerna High Gloss Acrylic Shield, how should it be applied? like a regular sealant, using a microfiber applicator pad and buffing off with a microfiber towel?
I would find a place that sells empty spray bottles. You purchased the larger 32oz bottle that they consider the refill bottle, the smaller size comes in a 16oz spray bottle. Use it like a quick detailer for some extra pop in your paint when you don't want to re-wax the whole car. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Sincerely,

Greg @ Detailed Image
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 08:24 PM   #227
BayerischeMW
Man with No Name

My Ride: '07 E92 335i
aha, so i should just spray some on the paint, using a spray bottle, then wipe it off directly with a microfiber towel? no need to working in with an applicator pad?

i assume i can apply a coat of p21s carnauba after i'm done with FMJ + High Gloss Acrylic Shield?

thanks Greg!

"if you wanna be king of the ring, this is the kind of car you should get" -M3 CSL
"there's no replacement for displacement" - only BMW ///M
BayerischeMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 10:36 AM   #228
Detailed Image
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayerischeMW
aha, so i should just spray some on the paint, using a spray bottle, then wipe it off directly with a microfiber towel? no need to working in with an applicator pad?

i assume i can apply a coat of p21s carnauba after i'm done with FMJ + High Gloss Acrylic Shield?

thanks Greg!

When using the HGAS you spray it on and buff it off with a microfiber towel. Most people will use the HGAS as a maintenance function or an after detail enhancer. I would apply it after you have applied the FMJ and P21S or you can use it after you have have detailed the car and you just washed the car to give it the freshly detailed look and to help preserve the underlying protection. Most people use it after washes but it can be used for either or. You could apply it inbetween the FMJ and the p21s but i think optimal results would be the way I described.

George @ Detailed Image

Old 09-24-2005, 07:54 PM   #229
bimmer jon

My Ride: M3(Sold),2005 645ci
george, i had someone detail my car and they were using a buffer. i believe that they may have burned the paint on my hood because all my attempts to remove the swirls have failed. the whole car is super smooth and glassy but when parked in the garage under direct light, you can see clearly these hazy lines going up and down the hood. their circular looking which makes me believe they are from the buffer. is this something a professional will have to take care of? the feel of the car is pristine but knowing those swirls are there, it detracts from the whole car. what can i do. thanks george.

B l a c k . S a p p h i r e . M e t a l l i c . 6 4 5 c i
bimmer jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 11:08 AM   #230
Greg@DetailedImage.com

I believe the marks you are referring to look like "holograms". You can see them in direct sunlight. These typically come from rotary buffers and should be able to be buffed out with lighter and lighter coats of polish. I would bring it back to the detailer and ask them if they can take them out. Should be no charge to you.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 10-09-2005, 03:34 PM   #231
Detailed Image
Sponsor

Don't be afraid to post on this thread every1!

George

Old 10-09-2005, 08:33 PM   #232
bimmer jon

My Ride: M3(Sold),2005 645ci
hey george. how would an amatuer try getting those hologram marks out. the reason why i'm hesitant to go back is because they did a favor for me and in the interest of keeping good relations, i'd rather try and tackle the project myself. i can get my hands on a buffer or i can do it by hand. whatever it will take. thanks for the advice george

B l a c k . S a p p h i r e . M e t a l l i c . 6 4 5 c i
bimmer jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 10:45 PM   #233
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Great Question. I understand it was a personal favor but hazing can be difficult to remove so be ready for some work. I would recommend using an orbital buffer if you can get your hands on one. Rotary buffers take a little more time and experience to master, orbital buffers are completely safe for anyone. You can purchase the industry standard Porter Cable buffer from us if you need to, which is a fantastic orbital buffer. We are running a special on the Porter Cable that gets you the Porter Cable 7424, Velcro backing plate, the four pads you'll need and pad cleaning products. I recommend the Porter Cable especially for when you use abrasive polishes, which is what I'm going to recommend you use in this situation. The reason is abrasive polishes need constant pressure and heat to break down and down there job. This can be done by hand but it's much harder to get even pressure throughout a couple of hours of detailing. Also the pressure when done by hand is generally exerted mainly through the tips of your fingers as opposed to a buffer that uses a pad with a diameter of 6.5 inches. If you want to do it by hand I recommend getting a good soft applicator pad like the microfiber applicators pads.

I recommend you use the Poorboy's SSR 2.5 and then the SSR 1.0. These are both abrasive polishes that will wear down the clear coat very slightly. The SSR 2.5 is a medium abrasive polish that will remove the majority of the hazing. Take your time and apply medium pressure throughout its application. Then follow it up with a coat of the SSR 1.0 to remove any micro scratches and restore surface gloss. I remove these products after each panel I do with a soft microfiber towel.

After applying abrasive polishes you have stripped all the wax of the vehicle so you should wax or seal the paint after. I highly recommend the Menzerna FMJ. It leaves a remarkable shine after using the two coats of polish. Its more durable then a wax and goes on and off extremely easy.

I know that this was a lot of information, if you have any questions about these products or the process please let me know.

Greg @ Detailed Image

Last edited by Greg@DetailedImage.com; 10-09-2005 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:13 PM   #234
VEGA$
Banned

My Ride: 330i ZHP
George,
Sorry didn't read all posts as most seem to apply to darker colored BMW's... Just got my 04' ZHP Arctic White w/ Camel/Black interior... pics posted... new to the whole detailing thing and wondered what you would recommend immediately as far as retail stuff goes, I have a big event this weekend and I'd like to wax it up and have her looking good...
I'd also like to order some high end detailing products from you as well but I'm not sure what to go with... my paint looks good in the sunlight or at night but in garage light it kinda looks like somebody might've wiped off dust using a regular towel and put really fine scuff/scratches on it?? Bad description and I haven't taken a picture cause it's so faint but I'd like to make this car really stand out... I would appreciate any and all recommendations for exterior & interior products... Also, will using retail products now affect using your products in the future?? Thank you in advance for your time & help.
VEGA$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 11:57 PM   #235
zaink

My Ride: 99' 328i
when u guys detail your car like by using a buffer and polish and what not, do you guys tape up anything? like the side moldings or what .. if so please name all the things u tape up
zaink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 06:24 AM   #236
Detailed Image
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGA$
George,
Sorry didn't read all posts as most seem to apply to darker colored BMW's... Just got my 04' ZHP Arctic White w/ Camel/Black interior... pics posted... new to the whole detailing thing and wondered what you would recommend immediately as far as retail stuff goes, I have a big event this weekend and I'd like to wax it up and have her looking good...
I'd also like to order some high end detailing products from you as well but I'm not sure what to go with... my paint looks good in the sunlight or at night but in garage light it kinda looks like somebody might've wiped off dust using a regular towel and put really fine scuff/scratches on it?? Bad description and I haven't taken a picture cause it's so faint but I'd like to make this car really stand out... I would appreciate any and all recommendations for exterior & interior products... Also, will using retail products now affect using your products in the future?? Thank you in advance for your time & help.
Good questions, nice car...

As far as retail products go (not sure what you have already so I'll list all the possible steps)

Wash / Dry - Meguires Gold Class Shampoo
Clay Bar - Any kit will do (Megs / Mothers)
Polish - 3M Perfect It II / 3M Swirl Remover
Glaze - 3M Hand Glaze
Seal - not 100% sure what's out there that compares to the sealants we carry, but look for a polymer or acrylic formula (NXT is one option but I've heard mixed reviews, and I know Mothers has one as well)
Top w/ Carnauba Wax

When your ready to step up to the "big leagues" let us know and we'll put together a package for you with everything you need.

Sincerely,

George @ Detailed Image

Old 10-12-2005, 06:28 AM   #237
Detailed Image
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaink
when u guys detail your car like by using a buffer and polish and what not, do you guys tape up anything? like the side moldings or what .. if so please name all the things u tape up
Yes we tape up all around the windows (not just for the trim, but so polish / wax doesn't get lodged in your window sill to smear and hinder the window movement), the molding around the vehicle, any emblems / badges, sometimes the front grills pending on the vehicle, sunroof, sometimes around the mirrors pending on the vehicle.

Painters tape usually works best. It can take a while to do, but you'll be glad you take the extra step since it can save you time and money and won't ruin your trim. Also, you can get a lot closer to the edges with the buffer when you tape it off.

George @ Detailed Image

Old 10-12-2005, 01:58 PM   #238
///McKinzie

My Ride: 1999 BMW Z3 2.3
First I want to say you are by far the best member on any forum to reply to a question. Ive seen EVERY question replyed to with great detail! Thanks! Now onto my question. In 99 I think BMW started using a different based wax starting on the Z3. Well Zymol came out with a wax for this kind of paint. Its called Zymol Z3 Wax. What do you think about it? Im sure youve never tried it but what are your impressions? Should I give it a go or stick with something else?

1999 BMW Z3
w/ BMW M3 Chrome 17" Wheels
Currently has 306,000 miles

Detailed Image Auto Detailing Supplies
Maintained by Detailed Image
///McKinzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 02:19 PM   #239
chopstik

My Ride: 2011 WRX
hi,

i have a question regarding polished lips and keeping them clean.......i normally just wipe it down with a wet towel.....but i'm thinking of buying some cleaner to use....any recommendations???? also, that area where the lip and the actually spoke meets is hard to reach.....and the dirt cakes up in there.....any way to get to that?? maybe a brush or something??? any help would be greatly appreciated

-roger
Old 10-12-2005, 02:26 PM   #240
VEGA$
Banned

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Good questions, nice car...

As far as retail products go (not sure what you have already so I'll list all the possible steps)

Wash / Dry - Meguires Gold Class Shampoo
Clay Bar - Any kit will do (Megs / Mothers)
Polish - 3M Perfect It II / 3M Swirl Remover
Glaze - 3M Hand Glaze
Seal - not 100% sure what's out there that compares to the sealants we carry, but look for a polymer or acrylic formula (NXT is one option but I've heard mixed reviews, and I know Mothers has one as well)
Top w/ Carnauba Wax

When your ready to step up to the "big leagues" let us know and we'll put together a package for you with everything you need.

Sincerely,

George @ Detailed Image
Thank you very much George... you're so fast to reply to everyone and anyone's questions and I've never heard anything but positive comments made about you & your company... it's really good to see a company today that takes the time for real customer service and who's willing to help someone out with a little bit of advice for nothing... keep it up and you'll have customers for life!! I'll be in touch soon for the "big leagues" kit
VEGA$ is offline   Reply With Quote