E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 41 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:21 PM   #241
Detailed Image
Sponsor

My Ride: Audi S4
Send a message via AIM to Detailed Image
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///McKinzie
First I want to say you are by far the best member on any forum to reply to a question. Ive seen EVERY question replyed to with great detail! Thanks! Now onto my question. In 99 I think BMW started using a different based wax starting on the Z3. Well Zymol came out with a wax for this kind of paint. Its called Zymol Z3 Wax. What do you think about it? Im sure youve never tried it but what are your impressions? Should I give it a go or stick with something else?
///McKinzie,

The Zymol waxes are very nice carnauba toppers for shows, events, etc. However they generally will not provide long lasting protection for your paint. Personally, I don't see how they can make a wax specific for a vehicles paint, there is not that much differentiation in the paint to make that big of a difference. I think any solid carnauba topper such as P21s or Natty's will get the job done aa a cheaper alternative. The depth and gloss from the paint generally comes from the paint prep (wash/clay/polish process) and your results from waxing are directly related to how well you prep the paint.

I don't think it would be a bad investment to get the Zymol but don't know how much better, if any, it would be from something like P21s.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Sincerely,

George @ Detailed Image

Wash & Dry Products, Clay Bars, Polishes, Sealants, and Waxes
10offe46 - Discount Code for 10% Off for e46fanatics members
Detail University - Detailing Enthusiast Discussion Forum
Detailed Image is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 04:39 PM   #242
Detailed Image
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopstik
hi,

i have a question regarding polished lips and keeping them clean.......i normally just wipe it down with a wet towel.....but i'm thinking of buying some cleaner to use....any recommendations???? also, that area where the lip and the actually spoke meets is hard to reach.....and the dirt cakes up in there.....any way to get to that?? maybe a brush or something??? any help would be greatly appreciated

-roger
Roger,

There are different products for different types of wheels. Some wheels have a clear coat over the polished lip and you'd tackle that differently than a polished lip without a clear coat.

In general, P21s Finish Restorer works well at removing some oxidation and minor imperfections.

As for the the area that the spoke meets the lip, you can use a brush but if its not super soft, you chance causing a lot of scratches in that area. I'd suggest trying you best with a super soft microfiber towel first.

The best thing I can suggest is to give it a real thorough cleaning, then seal the entire wheel with a product like Poorboy's Wheel Sealant. This will help prevent brake dust, contamination and other grime from sticking to the wheels in those hard to reach areas.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask!

George @ Detailed Image

Old 10-12-2005, 04:41 PM   #243
Detailed Image
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGA$
Thank you very much George... you're so fast to reply to everyone and anyone's questions and I've never heard anything but positive comments made about you & your company... it's really good to see a company today that takes the time for real customer service and who's willing to help someone out with a little bit of advice for nothing... keep it up and you'll have customers for life!! I'll be in touch soon for the "big leagues" kit
Thanks for the positive feedback. I think the best thing about using the over the counter products first is you can appreciate the difference in the "better" products. Generally what you'll notice with the better products are: Ease of application, easier removal, longer durability, enhanced gloss / depth / shine, increased smoothness of the paint.

Look forward to talking to you in the future.

Sincerely,

George

Old 10-12-2005, 05:09 PM   #244
chopstik

My Ride: 2011 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Roger,

There are different products for different types of wheels. Some wheels have a clear coat over the polished lip and you'd tackle that differently than a polished lip without a clear coat.

In general, P21s Finish Restorer works well at removing some oxidation and minor imperfections.

As for the the area that the spoke meets the lip, you can use a brush but if its not super soft, you chance causing a lot of scratches in that area. I'd suggest trying you best with a super soft microfiber towel first.

The best thing I can suggest is to give it a real thorough cleaning, then seal the entire wheel with a product like Poorboy's Wheel Sealant. This will help prevent brake dust, contamination and other grime from sticking to the wheels in those hard to reach areas.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask!

George @ Detailed Image

thanks for you help....i already put one coat of your poorbooy wheel sealant on....i may have to go for a second.......do you know if dpe's come with clearcoated lips or not???? is it ok to use a camelhair brush in the corner??? thanks again

-roger
Old 10-12-2005, 05:18 PM   #245
Detailed Image
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopstik
thanks for you help....i already put one coat of your poorbooy wheel sealant on....i may have to go for a second.......do you know if dpe's come with clearcoated lips or not???? is it ok to use a camelhair brush in the corner??? thanks again

-roger
Without seeing the wheels in person I don't know... Best thing I can suggest try a small section with the brush to see if it causes any scratching, make sure you get to look at that area under various lighting (flourescent works best) to make sure it did or didn't scratch.

George

Old 10-13-2005, 12:09 PM   #246
markusmark

My Ride: 2001330Ci
Subscribe!!!
markusmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 02:30 PM   #247
BayerischeMW
Man with No Name

My Ride: '07 E92 335i
what do you suggest using to clean the wheel wells? thanks

"if you wanna be king of the ring, this is the kind of car you should get" -M3 CSL
"there's no replacement for displacement" - only BMW ///M
BayerischeMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 04:36 AM   #248
trojohn23

My Ride: 2001 325Ci StlGM
Send a message via Yahoo to trojohn23
Hello DetailedImage,

Thanks for all this useful info. What is the best thing to do in between washings/detailings to keep the car looking shiny (say every 2 days)? Should I just rinse the car down, dry it and then use a quick detailer spray? or can I just use a quick detailer without rinsing it down first? just really confused about what to do in between washings/detailings... Thanks in advance. (Btw, i don't have easy access to a hose or water source except a bucket.)

Last edited by trojohn23; 10-21-2005 at 04:43 AM.
trojohn23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 07:23 AM   #249
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
hey trojohn23, I don't know if George and Greg have any special tips for you but the way I keep the car fairly clean in between washes and detailings is just using some Meguiar's Quik Detailer, really soaking the area that's dirty and wiping it down with a microfiber towel.

By dirty I mean just like dust or small amounts of dirt. Don't go trying this on a giant glob of mud or something, I'll leave that to the wash. lol.

-Ken
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 10:50 AM   #250
CGRIZZ516

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Poorboy's Polish...doesn't require too much water if any water at all. Just gotta do it every day or every other day...after that there will be too much dirt and dust particles that it'll ruin the paint

ECIS Intake / Shark Injector / Stock Type 44's
CGRIZZ516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 11:03 AM   #251
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
I always recommend a wash with two buckets, conditioning shampoo and hosing it off when you're done. If you don't have access to a hose then I would recommend a quick detailer like Kpeng suggested. I use the Poorboy's World Spray and Wipe. The key to using them safely is to use a clean microfiber and already have a good coat of wax/sealant on the paint. Again like Kpeng said if its really dirty you can't use a quick detailer. I usually fold the microfiber towel in fourths wipe once or twice with that side and then flip it over to a fresh side. This minimizes the chance that any heavy debris in the towel will create a micro scratch in the clear coat. After I have used a quick detailer or just washed my car I really like to use the Menzerna High Gloss Acrylic Shield. It leaves an amazing shine that I have never seen rivaled by any other spray on product, especially one that actually delivers protection as well. The Menzerna HGAC is basically a spray on version of the FMJ that just sprays on and is wiped off with a microfiber towel. It looks like you just spent hours detailing the car after you use it. Let me know if you need any more recommendations or if you have any more questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeng
hey trojohn23, I don't know if George and Greg have any special tips for you but the way I keep the car fairly clean in between washes and detailings is just using some Meguiar's Quik Detailer, really soaking the area that's dirty and wiping it down with a microfiber towel.

By dirty I mean just like dust or small amounts of dirt. Don't go trying this on a giant glob of mud or something, I'll leave that to the wash. lol.

-Ken
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 11:20 AM   #252
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayerischeMW
what do you suggest using to clean the wheel wells? thanks
I usually spray down my wheel wells with the Bug Squash and wipe them down with an old rag or a brush. I never use any good brush or towel on those areas because they can be really dirty. I recommend dedicating a sponge, brush or towel just for those areas.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 01:31 PM   #253
trojohn23

My Ride: 2001 325Ci StlGM
Send a message via Yahoo to trojohn23
Thanks Kpeng, CGRIZZ516 and Gregs for the help. So in summary the keypoints/steps in keeping shiny car in between washings/detailings are:

1. For cars already with a wax/sealant, use
2. Quick detailer/Megs or Poorboy's
3. Using clean microfiber
4. After quick detailer, use Menzerna High Gloss Acrylic Shield (using a different microfiber than the one used in step 3?, or is using the same one ok?)

Thanks everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregs
I always recommend a wash with two buckets, conditioning shampoo and hosing it off when you're done. If you don't have access to a hose then I would recommend a quick detailer like Kpeng suggested. I use the Poorboy's World Spray and Wipe. The key to using them safely is to use a clean microfiber and already have a good coat of wax/sealant on the paint. Again like Kpeng said if its really dirty you can't use a quick detailer. I usually fold the microfiber towel in fourths wipe once or twice with that side and then flip it over to a fresh side. This minimizes the chance that any heavy debris in the towel will create a micro scratch in the clear coat. After I have used a quick detailer or just washed my car I really like to use the Menzerna High Gloss Acrylic Shield. It leaves an amazing shine that I have never seen rivaled by any other spray on product, especially one that actually delivers protection as well. The Menzerna HGAC is basically a spray on version of the FMJ that just sprays on and is wiped off with a microfiber towel. It looks like you just spent hours detailing the car after you use it. Let me know if you need any more recommendations or if you have any more questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image
trojohn23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 02:05 PM   #254
Detailed Image
Sponsor

I'd suggest a seperate microfiber towel. The cleaning characteristics in some Quick Detailers may deteriorate from the protection and shine you'll get by adding the HGAS, other than that, you got the process down.

It has to be very lightly dusted though to benefit from not washing otherwise it can cause minor swirls.

George @ DI

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojohn23
Thanks Kpeng, CGRIZZ516 and Gregs for the help. So in summary the keypoints/steps in keeping shiny car in between washings/detailings are:

1. For cars already with a wax/sealant, use
2. Quick detailer/Megs or Poorboy's
3. Using clean microfiber
4. After quick detailer, use Menzerna High Gloss Acrylic Shield (using a different microfiber than the one used in step 3?, or is using the same one ok?)

Thanks everyone.

Old 10-21-2005, 02:43 PM   #255
02White330Ci

My Ride: 04 A/W ZHP
Ok i just got my order of Klasse AIO, and with the microfiber applicator and rag. My question is, is this good enough to use on a black car. The car is in pretty good condition, some minor swirls and scratches but nothing really bad. Can i just use the Klasse AIO or do i need to apply something after this. Please let me know as i would like to get my dads 530 done this weekend, and im eager to use the Klasse AIO. And do you recommend doing it by hand with the applicator or one of those less powerful buffers. I forget what it is.
02White330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 02:50 PM   #256
Detailed Image
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02White330Ci
My question is, is this good enough to use on a black car. The car is in pretty good condition, some minor swirls and scratches but nothing really bad. Can i just use the Klasse AIO or do i need to apply something after this. Please let me know as i would like to get my dads 530 done this weekend, and im eager to use the Klasse AIO. And do you recommend doing it by hand with the applicator or one of those less powerful buffers. I forget what it is.
The only downfall of AIO is it won't eliminate swirls, it will brighten the paint, and provide an amazing protection, but since it doesn't have abrasives in the the polish, it will not get rid of swirls. It may help hide them but that's about all... If anything you would want to apply a light or medium abrasive such as SSR 2 to remove some of the swirls you mention. On new cars with little to no imperfections AIO is a perfect choice for doing 1 step.

Doing AIO by hand is perfectly fine it still works great. Buffer will help apply it more evenly and may help eliminate some more of the minor imperfections.

Hope this helps clarify some things.

George Dushensky
Detailed Image - Owner
www.detailedimage.com

Old 10-21-2005, 03:10 PM   #257
02White330Ci

Wow, thanks for the quick response. I just ordered the SSR2 as well. My question is, do i apply this by hand or is the orbital buffer ok. I use the ssr2 first and then the Klasse AIO correct???
Old 10-21-2005, 03:16 PM   #258
Detailed Image
Sponsor

Quote:
Wow, thanks for the quick response. I just ordered the SSR2 as well. My question is, do i apply this by hand or is the orbital buffer ok. I use the ssr2 first and then the Klasse AIO correct???
This can be done either by hand or by buffer, when removing imperfections though generally a buffer will produce more heat and yield better results.

AIO goes on right over the SSR 2, you are correct.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Sincerely,

George

Old 10-21-2005, 03:21 PM   #259
02White330Ci

Ok last question. Since i would be using the buffer, i dont want to end up using the whole bottle on one car, how much do i put on the applicator pad and how much should i use for the car, i dont want to over use it, but i want to make sure that im using enough to help the car. Thanks again!!
Old 10-21-2005, 04:10 PM   #260
Detailed Image
Sponsor

Quote:
Ok last question. Since i would be using the buffer, i dont want to end up using the whole bottle on one car, how much do i put on the applicator pad and how much should i use for the car, i dont want to over use it, but i want to make sure that im using enough to help the car. Thanks again!!
I usually make an X or a ring of polish around the pad for a 2' x 2' section. When using an abrasive polish you want to make sure you have enough product on there to get the job done, continue to work it in until the polish is filmy and barely visable.

The AIO on the other hand, use the less is more theory. Apply just enough to cover the surface with a thin coat, we usually use around 1oz / average sized car.

George