E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 41 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:10 PM   #261
mustang1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: london
Posts: 184
My Ride: mustang
I dont know the technical name for this procedure... is it worth getting a permagard or zymol or something coating?

Eg. www.permagard.info

These guys apply some kind of coating which then makes it simpler to wash your car.
mustang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 06:27 PM   #262
Detailed Image
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 688
My Ride: Audi S4
Send a message via AIM to Detailed Image
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang1
I dont know the technical name for this procedure... is it worth getting a permagard or zymol or something coating?

Eg. www.permagard.info

These guys apply some kind of coating which then makes it simpler to wash your car.
Honestly its no different than doing it yourself and you'll probably get better results if you do it yourself! Pick up the right products and you'll get longer protection and better gloss and depth. Those things are just a scam and usually way overpriced for doing no more than putting a coat of sealant on. I've seen some stealerships charge upwards around $600-1000 which is a complete joke.
__________________

Wash & Dry Products, Clay Bars, Polishes, Sealants, and Waxes
10offe46 - Discount Code for 10% Off for e46fanatics members
Detail University - Detailing Enthusiast Discussion Forum
Detailed Image is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 03:01 AM   #263
edco
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Metuchen, NJ
Posts: 851
My Ride: 2004 325cic 2011 X5
Chip turning to rust..Obvious noob..yes, I searched

OK so this is not a PURE detailing question but perhaps you'll be kind enough to answer...

I was taking a basket of recycleables to the center, and I had a heavy metal piece of pipe that came out of the kitchen makeover. Of course I nicked the edge of the DS backdoor on the car side (not the door) about midway down the edge. I wasn't too worried as it was a small chip, about half the size of a pencil eraser and I was sure it was only down to primer.. Well, darned if it isn't starting to turn brown which means rust..


I have 2 tubes of touch up (the paint and the clear coat), and I've read about glueing sandpaper to pencil erasers, but I haven't had any success with that approach, So, my question is how FAR or should I say how much bigger should I sand around the chip before applying primer and then paint..

Whats the recommended waiting period between steps, and can I buy "Rustoleum" primer from Home Depot ....and spray it into a cap and use a artist brush to apply..

Any other secrets to making this look good...???

A million thanks !!

ED in NJ
edco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 09:25 AM   #264
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert
 
Greg@DetailedImage.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 6,085
My Ride: is clean & protected
Check out this thread that was made about using touch up paint Part I Part II

If you're having problems getting the sandpaper onto the pencil tip, you can use just a sanding block. You can wetsand around the area as much as you want, it will buff out but you're just creating more work for yourself. Make sure you end up wetsanding with super fine grades of sandpaper 2000 - 2500 or you'll have a tough time buffing out the wetsanding marks.

The key to a good touch up is wetsanding the blob of touch up you put on to a level surface then polishing it up to clean up the scuff marks.

Greg @ Detailed Image

Last edited by Greg@DetailedImage.com; 10-23-2005 at 09:48 AM.
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 09:36 AM   #265
SladeCJ
Man
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 38
My Ride: 330Ci
How does one clean polishing pads they used for applying products like Klasse AIO etc? (If you don't have those little packets of cleaner?)
SladeCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 07:53 AM   #266
02White330Ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 890
My Ride: 04 A/W ZHP
I just got the SSR 2.5 and the klasse AIO with the microfiber towels. Now as i was reading this thread it says to follow the 2.5 with the SSR 1. Is this necessary, im going to be doing my dads jet black 5 series. It has some minor swirls and scratches on it. Nothing like the black mercedes that u posted pictures of. I just need to know if its safe to just use the ssr 2.5 and then remove that and apply the Klasse AIO and remove. I was reading that you recommend the 1.0 too. I was hoping to skip that step but if its completely necessary i guess i will order that too. Please let me know what to do.
02White330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 10:10 AM   #267
Detailed Image
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 688
My Ride: Audi S4
Send a message via AIM to Detailed Image
If I'm not mistaken didn't we end up suggesting going with SSR 2 (not the 2.5) since your car(s) just had some minor imperfections. When going with SSR 2, you can jump right to AIO afterwards. The reason the 2.5 and 1 go together is sometimes you will see a slight haze with the 2.5 and then the 1 cleans that right up, but you shouldn't see that with the SSR 2. I could be thinking of someone else, but double check I think you have the SSR 2

George

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02White330Ci
I just got the SSR 2.5 and the klasse AIO with the microfiber towels. Now as i was reading this thread it says to follow the 2.5 with the SSR 1. Is this necessary, im going to be doing my dads jet black 5 series. It has some minor swirls and scratches on it. Nothing like the black mercedes that u posted pictures of. I just need to know if its safe to just use the ssr 2.5 and then remove that and apply the Klasse AIO and remove. I was reading that you recommend the 1.0 too. I was hoping to skip that step but if its completely necessary i guess i will order that too. Please let me know what to do.
__________________

Wash & Dry Products, Clay Bars, Polishes, Sealants, and Waxes
10offe46 - Discount Code for 10% Off for e46fanatics members
Detail University - Detailing Enthusiast Discussion Forum
Detailed Image is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 10:11 AM   #268
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert
 
Greg@DetailedImage.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 6,085
My Ride: is clean & protected
Quote:
Originally Posted by SladeCJ
How does one clean polishing pads they used for applying products like Klasse AIO etc? (If you don't have those little packets of cleaner?)
You can clean the surface of the pad by taking a damp towel/rag and wipe across the surface of the pad. This will help get some of the product off the surface. To get a deep cleaning I use the Snappy Clean powder packets.


Greg @ Detailed Image
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 10:53 AM   #269
Lugnut2683
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sterling, VA
Posts: 2,290
My Ride: Lotus Elise
Send a message via AIM to Lugnut2683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
If I'm not mistaken didn't we end up suggesting going with SSR 2 (not the 2.5) since your car(s) just had some minor imperfections. When going with SSR 2, you can jump right to AIO afterwards. The reason the 2.5 and 1 go together is sometimes you will see a slight haze with the 2.5 and then the 1 cleans that right up, but you shouldn't see that with the SSR 2. I could be thinking of someone else, but double check I think you have the SSR 2

George
I know that I had went with SSR 2 instead of 2.5, so maybe you were thinking of me? But I went ahead and did SSR 1 after 2, even though the hazing isn't as apparent as if I had used 2.5.
__________________
- Justin


DIY Garage Build (Updated November 18, 2009):

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=297607
Lugnut2683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 11:10 AM   #270
Detailed Image
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 688
My Ride: Audi S4
Send a message via AIM to Detailed Image
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnut2683
I know that I had went with SSR 2 instead of 2.5, so maybe you were thinking of me? But I went ahead and did SSR 1 after 2, even though the hazing isn't as apparent as if I had used 2.5.
Haha, nope... we did a similar order AIO then SSR 2 to NJ within the last week or so, so I'm pretty sure its him Thanks for the response though!

How'd you like the SSR 2 though? Good results with it?

George
__________________

Wash & Dry Products, Clay Bars, Polishes, Sealants, and Waxes
10offe46 - Discount Code for 10% Off for e46fanatics members
Detail University - Detailing Enthusiast Discussion Forum
Detailed Image is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 11:21 AM   #271
Born Again
Registered User
 
Born Again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
Posts: 4,660
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
great thread.

I have a light scratch showing white on my black car. I have no prior experience using a scratch remover. Any recommendations on how to do this? The product I have is scratch-x.
I actually had a detailer come out and look at the car and suggested that i do it myself.
__________________

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 11:25 AM   #272
Lugnut2683
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sterling, VA
Posts: 2,290
My Ride: Lotus Elise
Send a message via AIM to Lugnut2683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
How'd you like the SSR 2 though? Good results with it?
George
It worked great, but in the future, even on a newer car, I think I will end up going with the 2.5.
__________________
- Justin


DIY Garage Build (Updated November 18, 2009):

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=297607
Lugnut2683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 11:37 AM   #273
Detailed Image
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 688
My Ride: Audi S4
Send a message via AIM to Detailed Image
Quote:
Originally Posted by reactionsok
great thread.

I have a light scratch showing white on my black car. I have no prior experience using a scratch remover. Any recommendations on how to do this? The product I have is scratch-x.
I actually had a detailer come out and look at the car and suggested that i do it myself.
There's not that much too it... wash / dry surface... buff / rub on the scratch-x, remove left over polish... follow up with a sealant or wax to protect the area since the polish stripped any protection you may have.

If the scratch-x doesn't work its because its pretty fine polish, something like the SSR 2.5 would be more aggressive and you'd have better luck with that. Many people have tried scratch-x with little to no results then switch to the Poorboy's and it cleaned up their paint with ease.

George
__________________

Wash & Dry Products, Clay Bars, Polishes, Sealants, and Waxes
10offe46 - Discount Code for 10% Off for e46fanatics members
Detail University - Detailing Enthusiast Discussion Forum
Detailed Image is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 11:37 AM   #274
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert
 
Greg@DetailedImage.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 6,085
My Ride: is clean & protected
Quote:
Originally Posted by reactionsok
great thread.

I have a light scratch showing white on my black car. I have no prior experience using a scratch remover. Any recommendations on how to do this? The product I have is scratch-x.
I actually had a detailer come out and look at the car and suggested that i do it myself.

Could you clarify what you mean by "showing white"? Is the scratch down to the clear coat, paint or primer?

Greg @ Detailed Image
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 11:40 AM   #275
Born Again
Registered User
 
Born Again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
Posts: 4,660
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregs
Could you clarify what you mean by "showing white"? Is the scratch down to the clear coat, paint or primer?

Greg @ Detailed Image
down to the clear coat.
__________________

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 11:53 AM   #276
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert
 
Greg@DetailedImage.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 6,085
My Ride: is clean & protected
Quote:
Originally Posted by reactionsok
down to the clear coat.

I would then follow George's recommendation and get the SSR 2.5. Follow this up with the SSR 1.0 and that area should look as good as new.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 11:55 AM   #277
zaink
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 432
My Ride: 99' 328i
if i get a PC, do you recomment Optimum or SSR? .. just want your opinion on it, i hear Optimum is easier to work with
zaink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 12:10 PM   #278
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert
 
Greg@DetailedImage.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 6,085
My Ride: is clean & protected
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaink
if i get a PC, do you recomment Optimum or SSR? .. just want your opinion on it, i hear Optimum is easier to work with
I haven't used the optimum polish so I can't really say. I have used a lot of different abraisve polishes though and the SSR's give the best results and easiest application when applying with a Porter Cable. The Poorboy's World SSR line has gained a lot of popularity due to its ease of application for experts and novices.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 09:44 AM   #279
02White330Ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 890
My Ride: 04 A/W ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Haha, nope... we did a similar order AIO then SSR 2 to NJ within the last week or so, so I'm pretty sure its him Thanks for the response though!

How'd you like the SSR 2 though? Good results with it?

George
Yes that was me and you were right i did get the SSR 2, not the SSR 2.5 that i thought. I cant wait to use the products tommorow on my dad's car. I had my grandmothers car in the garage, so i cleaned half the hood off and used the SSR 2 and followed with Klasse AIO, and what a difference it makes. Great products!!!
02White330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 01:43 PM   #280
zkc
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: KC
Posts: 33
My Ride: 2004 m3
This may be a dumb question but I've had my 2002 330i (Alpine White) for 3 1/2 years and I wash it at least every other week and wax it (Zymol) two times per year. The paint seems pretty good to me but I'd like to do a full clean/wax or whatever I need to do to make it look perfect again. I've never used a clay bar or done anything else besides wash and wax it and am not sure where to start other than that. What steps and or applications would you suggest??? Thanks in advance...
zkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use