E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 35 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:01 AM   #2821
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp.warren View Post
here is update pix. after i clay and wax it was look good,a week after all white stuff coming back on my hood, I can not get all white stuff off my hood and my hood is not silver anymore.
What can i do for next?
Thanks for help !!!
Did you try the polish I suggested or any other polishes? That certainly would be my next step. After looking at those pics though I wonder if part of it has been repainted?

Greg @ DI
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:11 AM   #2822
bimmerchop

My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop
Nail polish on paint... how can I safely remove it?

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:59 PM   #2823
mp.warren

My Ride: M3,RX7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@DetailedImage.com View Post
Did you try the polish I suggested or any other polishes? That certainly would be my next step. After looking at those pics though I wonder if part of it has been repainted?

Greg @ DI
Paint was original. i did polished with carnauba wax after i clayed.
I'm in TEXAS, do u think may be weather too hot cause clear coat change color?
mp.warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:25 PM   #2824
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerchop View Post
Oh man that sucks! I haven't actually had to deal with that so I'm not sure what works but here is what I would try. A medium grade clay bar is what I use to remove paint over spray. If that doesn't work you can try to polish the surface with a cutting/micro-abrasive polish. Let me know if you need examples or recommendations. If that doesn't work you may have to do a little wet sanding and polishing to fix the area. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ DI
Old 09-10-2009, 03:30 PM   #2825
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp.warren View Post
Paint was original. i did polished with carnauba wax after i clayed.
I'm in TEXAS, do u think may be weather too hot cause clear coat change color?
Carnauba waxes are totally different then polishes. Carnauba waxes are essentially designed to protect the paint and enhance the shine. Polishes with micro abrasives are designed to help permanently remove swirls, oxidation, etc. I would highly recommend checking out one of our light polishes. After you click on that link the left hand side of the page will allow you to filter the results and just see the light polishes. An option like the Menzerna PO106FA, Poorboy's World SSR 1 or Optimum Polish II would all work really well. After you use the polish you can protect the paint with a carnauba wax or sealant. To learn more about these steps I HIGHLY recommend checking out our Detailing Guide!

Greg @ DI
Old 09-10-2009, 11:46 PM   #2826
John in VA

My Ride: '00 Farngrün 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerchop View Post
Try an acetone-free nail polish remover first. If that doesn't do it, a quick swipe with acetone followed by a cleaning and resealing or waxing should do it.

My neighbor's son decided to spray paint his bike gold while leaning it against their maroon Expedition. Clay and various polishes (applied by hand) didn't touch it. I snuck out the acetone = victory!
'86 535i
'85 535i
'85 325e - RIP
'74 2002tii
John in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:48 PM   #2827
Young Gun

My Ride: 05 330ci
This will be a shot in the dark.

I have quite a few rock chips on my black 330ci, it's really an eye sore from close up (to me anyways, not OCD i swear).
Some of these show as white, paint has definately been removed. A couple areas have bigger chips.

I've been thinking about a method to try and fix this myself. If it doesn't work I'll get the hood resprayed next summer, but until then.

What if I was to:
use a touch up pen, cover up the metal
Let it dry well
Wet sand the area to make sure it matches as well as possible.
Polish the area to bring the shine out

Sounds dangereous no?

I plan on polishing the whole car so I figured I would try fixing some of these areas aswell.
any input appreciated!
Old 09-19-2009, 01:03 PM   #2828
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
This will be a shot in the dark.

I have quite a few rock chips on my black 330ci, it's really an eye sore from close up (to me anyways, not OCD i swear).
Some of these show as white, paint has definately been removed. A couple areas have bigger chips.

I've been thinking about a method to try and fix this myself. If it doesn't work I'll get the hood resprayed next summer, but until then.

What if I was to:
use a touch up pen, cover up the metal
Let it dry well
Wet sand the area to make sure it matches as well as possible.
Polish the area to bring the shine out

Sounds dangereous no?

I plan on polishing the whole car so I figured I would try fixing some of these areas aswell.
any input appreciated!
The process you listed is essentially the basics of touch up work. Assuming you have the right touch up pen, etc. for the job I wouldn't worry much. I believe posts #42 and #43 on this thread have a guide for this process. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ DI
Old 09-19-2009, 03:56 PM   #2829
Young Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@DetailedImage.com View Post
The process you listed is essentially the basics of touch up work. Assuming you have the right touch up pen, etc. for the job I wouldn't worry much. I believe posts #42 and #43 on this thread have a guide for this process. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ DI
Greg I read your post number 41 i think,
I am so grateful for that write up.
Very detailed.

Thanks alot for taking the time to source it.

Also do you guys have a standard shipping fee for Canada?
Postal L5N4S6, PM me if you'd like. I need a few products.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:30 AM   #2830
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
Greg I read your post number 41 i think,
I am so grateful for that write up.
Very detailed.

Thanks alot for taking the time to source it.

Also do you guys have a standard shipping fee for Canada?
Postal L5N4S6, PM me if you'd like. I need a few products.
Glad to hear that helps and good luck. If you get time we'd love to hear about your experience with some before and after pics. It helps the community learn from your experience.

Our S/H rates to Canada and all international orders vary depending on your exact address, weight, size and shipping method. If you add items to your shopping cart you can get a shipping quote on the shopping cart page. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ DI
Old 09-21-2009, 07:31 AM   #2831
Blade929

My Ride: ///M
Send a message via MSN to Blade929
Greg
I've purchased a bunch of stuff from you guys and I've been very happy with the products and customers service I've reveived. I recently purchased an e90 M3 that has rubber around the door frames by the windows that my e46 coupe did not have with the frameless windows. The rubber tends to start to look a little grey especaially against the black window trim. What do you suggest to keep the rubber in good shape and hopefully black rather than the greyish look.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:01 AM   #2832
trippmann

My Ride: E30
Send a message via AIM to trippmann
BlackWOW!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa02e46 View Post
^It seriously was the worst decision of my life to sign up for this site.
trippmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:35 AM   #2833
Blade929

My Ride: ///M
Send a message via MSN to Blade929
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippmann View Post
BlackWOW!!!!!
Humm that says for plastic not sure if that would be what i'm looking for.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:04 AM   #2834
Young Gun

^ BlackWOW it's amazing for anything petrol based ie. plastics & rubbers....

Also an idea would be the leatherique leather treatment as shown in the write ups.
It soaks in to the rubber and makes it all soft again.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:12 AM   #2835
Rik178m

My Ride: E30/E46
Hi, This is an epic and amazing thread! Can I ask what kind of tape I could use to mask the area I am trying to repair a scratch on. It will have to be waterproof as I am doin the repair outside just incase it rains when the paint is drying. How long should you leave the repair before polishing out the marring from sanding the raised repair? Thanks Rich
Rik178m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:11 PM   #2836
M0nk3y
Banned

My Ride: 2002 325xi
If you plan on repainting a panel, I don't suggest taping just one portion of the panel off while the repaint. Rather just tape the whole panel off. You want to blend in the paint so it's not noticeable.

As for waiting, it would ideally be 30-60 days so that paint can fully cure.

Using blue painter's tape or masking tape should be fine.
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:41 PM   #2837
Rik178m

My Ride: E30/E46
Not painting a whole panel. My car has been keyed by some idiot. The masking is just incase it rains. Masking tape is not very waterproof, is painters tape?
Rik178m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:01 PM   #2838
eneka

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippmann View Post
BlackWOW!!!!!
i got some Fade2black but i'm sorta having a hard time applying it as it just sorta sprays and you can't really spread it...and it sorta get on windows easily too. Although it is great after it dries on. is there any specific way to apply it without getting it every where?
Old 09-21-2009, 09:21 PM   #2839
M0nk3y
Banned

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik178m View Post
Not painting a whole panel. My car has been keyed by some idiot. The masking is just incase it rains. Masking tape is not very waterproof, is painters tape?
Yes, but make sure you overlap the paint that you spray on so it blends well. Painters tape is ok when it comes to tape up.....
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:50 PM   #2840
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade929 View Post
Greg
I've purchased a bunch of stuff from you guys and I've been very happy with the products and customers service I've reveived. I recently purchased an e90 M3 that has rubber around the door frames by the windows that my e46 coupe did not have with the frameless windows. The rubber tends to start to look a little grey especaially against the black window trim. What do you suggest to keep the rubber in good shape and hopefully black rather than the greyish look.
The Black WOW Black WOW - 4 oz is probably the best option for you. It can be used on plastic, rubber and vinyl surfaces to restore that black appearance. It can be used on black pieces and other colors as well to restore a like new finish. Try it you'll love it!!!!

Greg @ DI