E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 45 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:36 PM   #281
Detailed Image
Sponsor

My Ride: Audi S4
Send a message via AIM to Detailed Image
You'll probably see the biggest results from proper prepping of the paint...

Wash / Dry -> Clay bar -> Abrasive polish... this will help remove as much contamination and imperfections in the paint as possible. If you really want to step it up add in a Glaze after the Polish, this will help enhance the gloss and help hide imperfections that were not corrected from the polish.

As far as the products go, I would suggest the following:

Clear Kote Clay Bar Kit

Poorboy's SSR 2.5

Poorboy's SSR 1

Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze

From there you can wax as normal. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkc
This may be a dumb question but I've had my 2002 330i (Alpine White) for 3 1/2 years and I wash it at least every other week and wax it (Zymol) two times per year. The paint seems pretty good to me but I'd like to do a full clean/wax or whatever I need to do to make it look perfect again. I've never used a clay bar or done anything else besides wash and wax it and am not sure where to start other than that. What steps and or applications would you suggest??? Thanks in advance...

Wash & Dry Products, Clay Bars, Polishes, Sealants, and Waxes
10offe46 - Discount Code for 10% Off for e46fanatics members
Detail University - Detailing Enthusiast Discussion Forum
Detailed Image is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 04:29 PM   #282
zkc

My Ride: 2004 m3
Thanks for the response, I'll be placing my order this weekend.

Thanks...
zkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 01:34 PM   #283
m3kid

My Ride: M3
What's the difference b/t the PC and Lets say....a cheaper SIMONIZ 8" Random Orbit Polisher/Waxer?

Last edited by m3kid; 10-29-2005 at 01:58 PM.
m3kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 05:12 PM   #284
///McKinzie

My Ride: 1999 BMW Z3 2.3
Im about to place an order with you and got to wondering. Microfiber is good at stripping the wax I heard. Well, when I get the waffle weave micro to dry my car, will it tear down my wax?

1999 BMW Z3
w/ BMW M3 Chrome 17" Wheels
Currently has 306,000 miles

Detailed Image Auto Detailing Supplies
Maintained by Detailed Image
///McKinzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 05:39 PM   #285
Detailed Image
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3kid
What's the difference b/t the PC and Lets say....a cheaper SIMONIZ 8" Random Orbit Polisher/Waxer?
PC 7424:
Power - 120 VAC, 50-60 HZ/120 VDC
Motor Amps - 3.7
No-load Speed - 2,500-6,000 OPM
Wheel/Pad Size - 6"
Length - 11 1/2"
Net Weight - 5 3/4 Lbs.

Simoniz:
Polishing head runs at 2,600 opm
D-handle with micro on/off switch for ease of use
Friction-resistant 8" cushion foam pad
High-impact, heat-resistant ABS housing
Long 2m (6') cord

Summary: PC 7424 ---> A lot more power, more durable, higher OPM = more heat = better and more efficient polishing, variable speeds for buffing around curves and corners. Its really comparing apples to oranges, PC 7424 is the standard when it comes to random orbit buffers. Its well worth the investment. Oh I almost forgot the major benefit... optional velcro backing plate on the PC making it super easy to switch out pads rather than buying a proprietary pad from them, that's what will make the Simoniz cost more in the long run.

Hope that helps... I couldn't find any exact specs as far as voltage and amps the Simoniz has but you get the idea.

Sincerely,

George @ DI

Old 10-29-2005, 05:40 PM   #286
Detailed Image
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///McKinzie
Im about to place an order with you and got to wondering. Microfiber is good at stripping the wax I heard. Well, when I get the waffle weave micro to dry my car, will it tear down my wax?
Microfiber towels are good for removing wax, meaning after its applied and hazed and ready to be taken off, a waffle weave drying towel will be the softest on your paint if your comparing products such as an Absorber or Terry cloth, won't scratch as much and definately won't remove wax. I think your meaning good for removing wax you applied, not good for stripping off existing wax.

George

Old 10-29-2005, 08:58 PM   #287
CedricM82

My Ride: X-43A
Send a message via AIM to CedricM82
Hi George/detailed image,

I have a question regarding my rims. They are BBS rims if it matters. Anyways... since I got my car in August I have been really good at keeping them clean with weekly washes and upkeeping with just plain cool water and a soft towel every other day. Past 2 weeks though it has been getting alot colder! I havent cleaned my rims in about 2 weeks and yesterday I did a deep cleaning on the rims by removing them off of the car. Lets just say I didnt even get one finished. I dont know how you guys feel about the method I used, but I used a good carnuaba wax from Griots Garage(best of show wax). I got most of the crap off of the rim but I still have a few stuburn spots left. I dont really wanna use the acid wheel cleaners because of their dangerous affects on wheels( I did once, but I heard what they can do to rims...)

So my question is what can I do to remove all this crap from my wheels without using the acid stuff. I dont mind using elbow grease.. withen reason of course, but I want a safe method! I want them to be as clean as the day I bought em.... Thanks for any help!
Old 10-29-2005, 09:26 PM   #288
///McKinzie

This wont be as good as DI's reply, but there are several non-acid wheel cleaners out there. I beleive there are some at DetailedImage.com. Im sure p21s and PoorBoys are acid free. Also nice lookin Mini!

1999 BMW Z3

Old 10-30-2005, 10:04 AM   #289
Detailed Image
Sponsor

Your best bet is going to be to use a metal polish, something like P21s Finish Restorer or Wenol. Then to make your life easier in the future for cleaning and protecting, throw a coat of Wheel Sealant on. This will help prevent brake dust from adhering to the wheel as much and also protect your wheels from other road contamination.

That will be your best method. A carnauba wax shouldn't do much for protection as they are the shortest protecting wax you can use and the lowest melting temperature, however they do provide a nice gloss. But all in all the metal polish will help clean up any oxidation or stubborn stains you couldn't get out.

Sincerely,

George @ DI

Old 10-30-2005, 11:40 AM   #290
CedricM82

My Ride: X-43A
Send a message via AIM to CedricM82
George, thanks for the help! Last question please... you gave me links to metal polish.. is this stuff good for my clear coat??? It says "P21S Restorer Polish can help even the most difficult surfaces regain their original luster and shine. P21S Restorer Polish also specializes in restoring severely damaged paintwork. " Just wondering if my painted rims definitly needed that!

Thanks!!
Old 10-30-2005, 09:48 PM   #291
Furious D

My Ride: RX7
Have an interior leather care question. My buddy sat in my car recently. And some ink from his shirt had bled through onto my seats. My seats are a beige color. Was wondering the best way to get this out. Soap and water or should I try a cleaner like Lexol?
Furious D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 12:43 AM   #292
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
I would try some all-purpose cleaner diluted (very much so) in water and rubbing it with a terry towel to see if that will get it off. Then follow it up with some leather conditioner.

If not, definitely try using some Lexol on it.

-Ken
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 02:00 AM   #293
///McKinzie

I tried to find my question and read the all the pages I can before my eyes wore out to save you time. But anyways, here it is, sorry if its already been answered. If I wanted to apply a cleaner, polish, and wax again. Would I need to strip the existing off? If so...how would I do that? Thanks for all your help. BTW Im excited my order from you comes in Thursday!!!

1999 BMW Z3

Old 11-01-2005, 09:32 AM   #294
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
The P21S should be safe for painted wheels however it depends on how the wheels are painted. I've seen some really crappy jobs that the P21S could harm but for the most part you should be fine. As with any new product I always recommend you try it on a small section first.

For the leather you can try and just use warm water, I don't recommend soaps because they can sometimes dry out the leather. If that doesn't work I would try the Leatherique Pristine Clean and then the Leatherique Rejuvenator if that doesn't work.

The Cleaner and the Polish are designed to strip the wax off, so you don't have to worry about that. For regular maintenance I would wash with automotive shampoo and rewax as necessary. If you apply the cleaner or the polish you will have stripped the wax off so its always necessary to wax or seal the paint after using those products.
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 08:25 PM   #295
///McKinzie

I have chrome rims, and so far every person who owns or has owned a BMW agrees with me...great braking power...terrible brake dust. I will have them dustless and beautiful, go to town real quick and back and have to clean them again they are so bad. What is the best wheel cleaner to clean these off real quick with so I dont have to clean them as much? So far ive been using some brake cleaner and Eagle One Never Dull Wadding Polish.

1999 BMW Z3

Old 11-02-2005, 09:09 AM   #296
Marak

My Ride: 2005 M3 ZCP
snow removal question on paint

OK,

Need your expert advice. I have an M3; Interlagos blue paint.
(this is a new car). I have discovered that the clear coat is
extremely easy to scratch........very fine "microscratches".

For waxing and buffing I use only microfiber cloths. I'm concerned
about snow removal from the roof, hood, etc. While I don't plan
on driving it a lot this winter there will be times when snow will fall
on the car........and I'm concerned about using any type of snow
brush to dust off the surfaces.

I have a flat foam type device......sort of like a big squeegee but
am even concerned about this.

Help! Any suggestions?

Thanks......

Marak
Marak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 10:27 AM   #297
Greg@DetailedImage.com

I park my truck outside and I live in the Norheast so I can understand your concern. I have yet to hear of a removal device that won't scratch the paint. I've looked for just such a thing for a while and I don't know of one, if anyone knows of one please let me know. When the snow is heavy I will use a removal brush to remove snow 1 inch above the painted surface. I refuse to drag the brush against my paint. This leaves a thin layer of snow on the paint but I can live with that. I usually let the remote starter let it run for about 10 minutes and hope the rest melts away fast. I also recommend using a sealant in the winter that offers more resistance to abrasions from brushes and the like as compared to traditional waxes. For the winter months I'll put atleast two or three coats on the truck.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 11-02-2005, 11:06 AM   #298
Marak

My Ride: 2005 M3 ZCP
Thanks.........

I think that probably is a good idea........just leave a thin layer of
snow on the surfaces.........and let it melt. I will be sure to use
multiple layers of glaze material too.

Appreciate your advice!
Marak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 02:38 PM   #299
///McKinzie

Thanks DI! I just got in my shipment of PoorBoys Shampoo and Bold n Bright along with 2 3'x2' waffle weave drying towels! I have to say I'm really impressed with the Bold N Bright. I tried it on my roommates tire. I hardly had to use any and it covered his 22" tires! Applied very easy and absorbed almost instantly like you said! It created a very dark and somewhat shiny look while I could still run my fingers over it and not get anything on them (so no more having to wipe down the side of my car from slingage! if thats a word) This 32oz bottle will go a long way. Anyways, thanks for all the help!

1999 BMW Z3

Old 11-04-2005, 02:52 PM   #300
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///McKinzie
Thanks DI! I just got in my shipment of PoorBoys Shampoo and Bold n Bright along with 2 3'x2' waffle weave drying towels! I have to say I'm really impressed with the Bold N Bright. I tried it on my roommates tire. I hardly had to use any and it covered his 22" tires! Applied very easy and absorbed almost instantly like you said! It created a very dark and somewhat shiny look while I could still run my fingers over it and not get anything on them (so no more having to wipe down the side of my car from slingage! if thats a word) This 32oz bottle will go a long way. Anyways, thanks for all the help!

Thanks for the positive feedback. I'm a big fan of the Poorboy's Bold n' Bright as well. Its water based so you don't have to worry about harmful silicones that can dull and crack the tire or harm the paint. The Bold n Bright actually sborbs into the tire and helps them stay looking fresh and strong. Thanks again!

Greg @ Detailed Image