E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 38 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:40 AM   #3041
krisftw

My Ride: 325ci
Hi if I painted my car and never polished, what can I use to bring the paint out. Thanks
krisftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:10 AM   #3042
jbl_91762

My Ride: 01 330i BLK Sedan
How much can I expect to pay a detailer to only polish and wax/seal a black 330 sedan? I have already polished it once with Turtle Wax compound with hand follwed by 1 coat of Maguire wax. 3 weeks later notice more spider webs after a couple washes then rotary polished 1400rpm with foam pad using Maguire's swirlx which took off 90% of swirls, followed by 2 coats of Maguires Deep Crystal carnuba wax. It looks great but I can tell there are some swirl slight swirl marks here and there from the polisher. I've also aready detailed all the outside trim. So what can I expect to pay from a detailer? Or what can I do to clear it up completely?

Thanks for all the support to the forums!

Here are some pics..

http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/z...h%20and%20wax/ The pics may look like it has hazing but its actually high clouds in the sky.
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:51 PM   #3043
ThisFlyGuy
OEM ///Member

My Ride: A Car
Is Meguairs SwirlX swirl remover any good? I just bought some to try, but didn't seem like it did much.....should I return?

I saw the post above, but I'm using it by hand and not machine.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:09 PM   #3044
scaringkidz

My Ride: 2005 M3
Hey Greg,

Read a good bit of the post and found some very informative stuff. I just purchased a 2005 Jet Black M3 with some what I believe to be heavy swirl marks from improper washing and drying. I'm pretty set on going the full detail route with clay, polish, and wax. Just wanted to make sure the Poorboy's World SSR 2.5, SSR 1 are what I should be using.

Thanks

Attached is the best picture I could get for now:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00356.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	372506  
scaringkidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:00 PM   #3045
E46erFan01

My Ride: 2003.5 BMW M3
Hi, I've noticed recently that my paint is getting little rust spots, about the size of the end of a pen. Less than a half a millimeter. Is there anything I can do.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:03 PM   #3046
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisftw View Post
Hi if I painted my car and never polished, what can I use to bring the paint out. Thanks
After painting the car you typically need to wet sand and then polish for best results. After the paint is fully cured (usually 30 - 90 days) you can seal and/or wax it to protect it and enhance the shine. Let me know if you'd like a recommendation for these steps.
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:20 PM   #3047
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl_91762 View Post
How much can I expect to pay a detailer to only polish and wax/seal a black 330 sedan? I have already polished it once with Turtle Wax compound with hand follwed by 1 coat of Maguire wax. 3 weeks later notice more spider webs after a couple washes then rotary polished 1400rpm with foam pad using Maguire's swirlx which took off 90% of swirls, followed by 2 coats of Maguires Deep Crystal carnuba wax. It looks great but I can tell there are some swirl slight swirl marks here and there from the polisher. I've also aready detailed all the outside trim. So what can I expect to pay from a detailer? Or what can I do to clear it up completely?

Thanks for all the support to the forums!

Here are some pics..

http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/z...h%20and%20wax/ The pics may look like it has hazing but its actually high clouds in the sky.
It really depends on a lot of factors. For example how many steps it takes to get the desired results, quality of the work, size of vehicle, etc. You will almost definitely need the work of a rotary buffer if you are looking for perfection which requires a skilled operator. Good work will not be cheap but it should be worth it considering your goals. You may be able to find a quality detailer here (http://www.detailedimage.com/Find-a-Detailer/). Even if you don't see a detailer in your area you can look at their sites and see what to expect for the top quality work. If you have any other questions please let me know.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:48 PM   #3048
Rooz

My Ride: 2003 M5
Greg,
Am needing some more stuff from you good sir:

I want an all in one product for leather (real leather not leatherette) that isn't shinny, you know, the natural look. And also a tire shine that is matt or not shinny and that does not fly everywhere. I'll also pick up another bottle of poorboy's quick detailer and some more OPT.

What do you suggest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg
Umnitza now provides a mechanic to install all parts ordered right in the box! It's their new "Total customer service program" that will eliminate all the haters and keep incompetents from breaking **** and blaming the vendor! When you are all set simply call INS and they will pick him up free of charge.
VIEW MOD LIST & PICS
Rooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:40 PM   #3049
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
Greg,
Am needing some more stuff from you good sir:

I want an all in one product for leather (real leather not leatherette) that isn't shinny, you know, the natural look. And also a tire shine that is matt or not shinny and that does not fly everywhere. I'll also pick up another bottle of poorboy's quick detailer and some more OPT.

What do you suggest?
Thank you for the inquiry, I'd be happy to help. For the leather a great all in one product is the Poorboy's World Leather Stuff. It's easy to use, works great and smells pleasant. I apply it relatively thin and then go back with a slightly damp microfiber towel after and buff off any excess or contaminants that have risen to the surface.

If you want a really matte look on the wheels try the Optimum (OPT) Protectant Plus or the 303 Aerospace Protectant. Both provide a darker finish with UV protection but no shine.

Let me know if you need any other recommendations!
Old 10-07-2010, 06:18 PM   #3050
Rooz

My Ride: 2003 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@DetailedImage.com View Post
Thank you for the inquiry, I'd be happy to help. For the leather a great all in one product is the Poorboy's World Leather Stuff. It's easy to use, works great and smells pleasant. I apply it relatively thin and then go back with a slightly damp microfiber towel after and buff off any excess or contaminants that have risen to the surface.

If you want a really matte look on the wheels try the Optimum (OPT) Protectant Plus or the 303 Aerospace Protectant. Both provide a darker finish with UV protection but no shine.

Let me know if you need any other recommendations!
Cool, I actually have the 303 Aerospace Protectant I'll give it a try and I ordered the rest, let me know when it ships

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg
Umnitza now provides a mechanic to install all parts ordered right in the box! It's their new "Total customer service program" that will eliminate all the haters and keep incompetents from breaking **** and blaming the vendor! When you are all set simply call INS and they will pick him up free of charge.
VIEW MOD LIST & PICS
Rooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:42 AM   #3051
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
Cool, I actually have the 303 Aerospace Protectant I'll give it a try and I ordered the rest, let me know when it ships
Glad to hear you already have a solution on hand. The rest of your order has already shipped out and you'll get the tracking information shortly if you haven't already. You can also check your My Account page for updates as well.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:30 AM   #3052
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Just wanted to remind everyone this is a great thread to ask any detailing questions. If you have any questions about cleaning, shining and protecting your vehicle I'd be happy to help. Don't hesitate to ask questions, I'll do my best to provide a timely and detailed answer wherever possible.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:34 AM   #3053
m3collins

My Ride: 2002 Carbon Black M3
There is a lot of wax residue on the window trim and the sunroof gaskets etc. What's the best way to remove that nasty white residue. It's ruining the looks of my car.
m3collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:41 AM   #3054
alwaysbored786

My Ride: Noble|M3|XJ
Greg, i just wana give you some props for keeping this thread alive for so long and providing a loooooooooot of valuable detailing information, you sir, are awesome!

*NO F-BOMBS IN SIGS*
How to refinish rims
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldintake View Post
I am proposing opening up a Paypal fund for OP. The funds will directly be used in purchasing a farm so that OP can grow some balls.
alwaysbored786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:15 PM   #3055
tfoxsf

My Ride: 2003 325i
Agreed. Greg is awesome.

I do have a question for you Greg. I recently was looking into getting my car detailed in San Francisco and I had tracked down a guy who does outstanding work (according to local Yelp reviews). I asked all sorts of questions about products/process with my new found knowledge (courtesy of this thread), but he uses all 'exclusive' products they designed. He also said the key to longevity is the aircraft wax they apply in 3 layers and their maintenance product TechShine that you apply when the car is wet.

This curve ball was above my pay grade and I'm not sure what is BS and what is legit. Any help would be appreciated.
Website for reference - http://www.californiadetailing.com/ExteriorDetailing.htm
tfoxsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:09 AM   #3056
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3collins View Post
There is a lot of wax residue on the window trim and the sunroof gaskets etc. What's the best way to remove that nasty white residue. It's ruining the looks of my car.
That whitish haze eats away at me as well and drives me nuts. The quicker you get to removing the wax the better the results usually are. If the sun has baked in the product it can be more challenging to remove. For any rubber, vinyl or plastic trim you can use the Poorboy's World Trim Restorer is a great choice. Pour a few drops on a soft cloth and wipe with medium pressure and repeat as needed. It helps remove the wax and make the trim look darker again. If there are any other surfaces besides ones that are rubber, vinyl and plastic let me know which specific type of surface I missed and I'll be sure to provide a recommendation.

Greg @ DI
Old 11-11-2010, 08:24 AM   #3057
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysbored786 View Post
Greg, i just wana give you some props for keeping this thread alive for so long and providing a loooooooooot of valuable detailing information, you sir, are awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoxsf View Post
Agreed. Greg is awesome.

I do have a question for you Greg. I recently was looking into getting my car detailed in San Francisco and I had tracked down a guy who does outstanding work (according to local Yelp reviews). I asked all sorts of questions about products/process with my new found knowledge (courtesy of this thread), but he uses all 'exclusive' products they designed. He also said the key to longevity is the aircraft wax they apply in 3 layers and their maintenance product TechShine that you apply when the car is wet.

This curve ball was above my pay grade and I'm not sure what is BS and what is legit. Any help would be appreciated.
Website for reference - http://www.californiadetailing.com/ExteriorDetailing.htm
Thank you very much for the kind words it's truly appreciated. I honestly enjoy helping out others whenever possible and this forum has provided a lot of support to www.DetailedImage.com.

As for that detailer their website and the product mfg's website offered limited information about their process and products. It's certainly possible they are excellent detailers and the products are exceptional. However I'm a little skeptical whenever someone has exclusive products and uses terms "air craft wax " or "marine grade", etc. If these products were so amazing the general laws of a free market economy would dictate that everyone would want to use them. The detailing community is rather tight knit and when something works great everyone wants to try it. Again it's certainly possible this product is amazing but I have just yet to hear anything about it or read anything to make me believe otherwise. As for the quality of the service is good to see Yelp has them ranked high I would have no additional information to add.

What I would recommend you do though is consider another detailer using more traditional products that also has a great reputation. Compare and contrast each of them and make an informed decision. Check out http://www.acdetailing.net/ and if you can let them know Detailed Image sent you. Aaron Baumann runs this top notch detailing shop in the San Francisco area. I don't believe his prices are cheap but he does outstanding work which requires time and high quality products. You can find the rest of his contact information on our Find A Detailer page. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ DI
Old 11-11-2010, 10:44 AM   #3058
tfoxsf

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@DetailedImage.com View Post
Thank you very much for the kind words it's truly appreciated. I honestly enjoy helping out others whenever possible and this forum has provided a lot of support to www.DetailedImage.com.

As for that detailer their website and the product mfg's website offered limited information about their process and products. It's certainly possible they are excellent detailers and the products are exceptional. However I'm a little skeptical whenever someone has exclusive products and uses terms "air craft wax " or "marine grade", etc. If these products were so amazing the general laws of a free market economy would dictate that everyone would want to use them. The detailing community is rather tight knit and when something works great everyone wants to try it. Again it's certainly possible this product is amazing but I have just yet to hear anything about it or read anything to make me believe otherwise. As for the quality of the service is good to see Yelp has them ranked high I would have no additional information to add.

What I would recommend you do though is consider another detailer using more traditional products that also has a great reputation. Compare and contrast each of them and make an informed decision. Check out http://www.acdetailing.net/ and if you can let them know Detailed Image sent you. Aaron Baumann runs this top notch detailing shop in the San Francisco area. I don't believe his prices are cheap but he does outstanding work which requires time and high quality products. You can find the rest of his contact information on our Find A Detailer page. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ DI
Thanks a ton Greg. I'll be giving Aaron a ring this afternoon. Thanks again for translating the seemingly 'foreign language' that is professional detailing. Detailed Image is lucky to have a guy that brands their company so well.
tfoxsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:27 PM   #3059
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoxsf View Post
Thanks a ton Greg. I'll be giving Aaron a ring this afternoon. Thanks again for translating the seemingly 'foreign language' that is professional detailing. Detailed Image is lucky to have a guy that brands their company so well.
Glad to hear the information is helpful, he should definitely be able to help give you another quality option. If you get time please keep us posted on what you decide!

Greg @ DI
Old 11-13-2010, 11:45 PM   #3060
Speeder

My Ride: '04 325i - '08 C300
Greg,

I purchased a few Menzerna product from you guys about 3 years ago and have used them with great success...

Here is what I have used:
  • Porter Cable (7424) Polisher
  • Menzerna Intensive Polish <-> Orange cutting pad
  • Menzerna Final Polish <-> White polishing pad
  • Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze <-> Black finishing pad
  • Menzerna High Gloss Acrylic Shield <-> Blue fine finishing pad

Well, I recently tried to detail my car (which, I'm ashamed to say, I haven't done in a while) and noticed that the Menzerna Intensive Polish (with the orange cutting pad) is not removing swirl marks as expected...

I am wondering whether those products are less effective now that they are older? ... OR.... do you anticipate the results to be the same despite the passing of time???

If the latter is true, which Menzerna product would you recommend as a more aggressive medium to removing swirls, which I can then follow up with the additional products I mentioned above???

Thanks in advance!
Speeder is offline   Reply With Quote