E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 38 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:59 AM   #61
OLGA

My Ride: '01 330i
Interior grey Leather

My grey leather is starting to harden after my car sat at the dealer out in the sun for 3 weeks waiting for service. It feels like the leather has dried out. Are there instructions that come with your Lexol Leather Kit. It should arrive July 19th and I've never conditioned leather before? Any tips?
OLGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 05:09 AM   #62
AfghanScarface

My Ride: Debadged M3
Send a message via AIM to AfghanScarface
What do you think of Zymol wax? I used it on my car and it removed many of the swirl marks and gave it a really nice shine, but do you suggest anything to further this effect? TIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer4Lyfe View Post
Either pursue her and risk getting Mono, or don't pursue her,...stay home and use your Mano.

It's either Mono or Mano .... You decide
AfghanScarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 09:40 AM   #63
Detailed Image
Sponsor

My Ride: Audi S4
Send a message via AIM to Detailed Image
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02White330Ci
What is a good tire shine that you recommend. Something that shines nice but also doesnt splatter all over the car as you drive away. Also whats a good applicator pad, Whenever i shine my tires up, i get everything in my fingernails and all over my hands
02White330Ci - I'll give a little background on tire shine first. There are two primary types available, water based and silicon based. The majority of tire shines out there are the silicon based ones. They give you a deep wet look that out lasts the water based shines, but the downfalls are - they are bad for the tires and can lead to discoloring and cracking and secondly you get a lot of sling (splattering up on the paint when driving) from them. The water based tire dressing actually get absorbed into the tire rather than sitting on the surface. They are GOOD for your tires, provide UV coating and proper conditioners to avoid cracking tires. No sling since the product is being absorbed into the tires the only downfall is you won't get that SUPER wet look for long. What I suggest to my customers is for daily driving use the water based tire dressing and if needed for a car show put on the silicone based on top of the water based.

My favorite water based tire shine is by Poorboy's and its called Bold 'n Bright.

Click to view Poorboy's Bold 'n Bright

As far as an applicator pad I've yet to find one I'm sold on. The Eagle One applicators still tend to get stuff over your fingers as you said. The Corrand block, the applicator pad falls apart as you run it over your tires. So I just suck it up and use a foam applicator pad because its easy to contour around your tires.

Sincerely,

George @ Detailed Image

Wash & Dry Products, Clay Bars, Polishes, Sealants, and Waxes
10offe46 - Discount Code for 10% Off for e46fanatics members
Detail University - Detailing Enthusiast Discussion Forum
Detailed Image is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 09:49 AM   #64
Detailed Image
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeng
hey George, it's me again, lol.

I took some of your tips on here and worked on my mom's Expedition and it worked great. She was impressed. Now she wants to know, on her other car (1995 Nissan Maxima, completely neglected). It's completely oxidized, the paint has black dots all over it and it's more dull than primer. Is this paint even savable? Or should we just go ahead and repaint the whole damn thing.

-Ken
Ken, is there any way you can snap some pics of the Maxima to help me assess the situation? Thanks!

George

Old 07-13-2005, 10:09 AM   #65
Detailed Image
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLGA
My grey leather is starting to harden after my car sat at the dealer out in the sun for 3 weeks waiting for service. It feels like the leather has dried out. Are there instructions that come with your Lexol Leather Kit. It should arrive July 19th and I've never conditioned leather before? Any tips?
Olga - With the Lexol Leather Kit, the proper steps would be as follows:

Wipe down and vacuum leather to remove any loose debris. Make sure you vacuum out all of the cracks and crevices.

Wet the applicator with warm water and wring it out so that its not dripping and its still damp. Apply the Lexol pH Leather Cleaner on the applicator pad and scrub your leather. This step will help cleanse and prepare your leather for the conditioning steps. Pay close attention to the seems and stitching. Wipe off the cleaner with a cotton towel and buff dry with a microfiber towel.

The next step would be to use the Lexol Neatsfoot Formula. In the same fashion you wet the applicator towel for the pH Leather Cleaner wet the applicator pad to a damp surface. Apply the Neatsfoot Formula to the leather, and let sit on the surface for 20-30 mins to allow penetration in the leather. After that, remove with a soft towel and buff dry with a microfiber towel.

Finally its time to condition, follow the same steps as the Neatsfoot Formula and make sure you allow the conditioner to penetrate for 20-30 mins before removing. Wipe off with a towel and buff dry with the microfiber towel.

Thank you for your purchase with us, please let us know how this process works out for you!

Sincerely,

George

Old 07-13-2005, 10:12 AM   #66
Detailed Image
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfghanScarface
What do you think of Zymol wax? I used it on my car and it removed many of the swirl marks and gave it a really nice shine, but do you suggest anything to further this effect? TIA
It really depends which Zymol product you are referring to. They have products starting at ~$10 / bottle to over $1000 per bottle. If you are referring to their light blue bottle Zymol Cleaner Wax that can be found on retail stores, its not bad but certainly not the best. Its one of the better products you can buy on a retail store but better results can definately be attained. Let me know which one you are using and I can help let you know how you can further your shine and results.

George

Old 07-13-2005, 04:54 PM   #67
haohmaroo

My Ride: 330Ci
Cleaning rims (brake dust)

Hi,

Are there any easier/faster ways to cleaning your rims? It always seems to take forever to clean off all the brake dust. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks!
haohmaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 05:29 PM   #68
Elefant
Banned

My Ride: and hes hairy too
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaroo
Hi,

Are there any easier/faster ways to cleaning your rims? It always seems to take forever to clean off all the brake dust. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks!
hey if you have really bad caked on dust, then go get some engine brite degreaser spray it on and wait a couple mintes

when the dust if off wax your wheels so when you do get dust its easier to get off
Elefant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 08:52 PM   #69
ATLZHP6M

My Ride: TS2+ ZHP, ESS E39 M5
Thanks for your suggestions.

Went to your site and my shopping cart is already up to $270.
I'm getting everything I need including the porter cable polisher.

My question to you is, are we going to get any discounts from you, you know some sort of E46Fanatics member discount?

I didn't realize how expensive all of this stuff really is.

ESS TS2+ Street/Track Toy
ATLZHP6M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 10:19 PM   #70
PriMoPyRo

My Ride: E46 323i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLZHP6M
Thanks for your suggestions.

Went to your site and my shopping cart is already up to $270.
I'm getting everything I need including the porter cable polisher.

My question to you is, are we going to get any discounts from you, you know some sort of E46Fanatics member discount?

I didn't realize how expensive all of this stuff really is.

hahah same for me! lol, i acually added almost the exact same amount and was wondering the same thing
PriMoPyRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 10:26 PM   #71
Detailed Image
Sponsor

Alright e46 fanatics, our group deals are on the way... Look for a link in my sig to e46 member specials from Detailed Image

George

Old 07-13-2005, 10:27 PM   #72
PriMoPyRo

hehe i keep feeling like we are bothering this guy too much ... oh well he asked for it...

autogeek has a PC kit with velcro backing plate and an array of generic (not the constant pressure) velcro backed pads in a bunch of diffrent grades from cutting to finishing, can you guys come up a kit like that for e46?

much abliged
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kit2.jpg
Views:	1294
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	134923  
Old 07-13-2005, 10:33 PM   #73
Detailed Image
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriMoPyRo
autogeek has a PC kit with velcro backing plate and an array of generic (not the constant pressure) velcro backed pads in a bunch of diffrent grades from cutting to finishing, can you guys come up a kit like that for e46?
Yep, we're in the process of putting pads on our site, we stock the Lake Country line... Realistically the 3 pads you need are Orange - Cutting Pad, White - Polishing Pad, Black - Finishing Pad... If your dead set on getting the green or blue we can order those for you as well, but honestly you'd be better off with 2-3 White Polishing Pads instead of the Green and Blue.

BTW you mentioned a PC Random Orbit and posted a DeWalt Rotary

*Edit Pic Changed - I can do the whole bundle:

PC 7424
5" Velcro Backing Plate
2 White Polishing Pads
1 Orange Cutting Pad
1 Black Finishing Pad
2 Snappy Cleans
4 Microfiber Towels

For $189.95

PM me for a pricing on the PC Pad bundles since they aren't on our site. Let me know which colors you are interested in and how many...

George

Last edited by Detailed Image; 07-13-2005 at 10:38 PM.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:52 PM   #74
m3on20z
Sh!t Happens.

My Ride: W203 dumped on 20's
Send a message via AIM to m3on20z
This might be a dumb question, but if I used an agressive polish (Poorboy's SSR 3) on paint that isn't as bad as the product was designed for, would it harm the paint at all? Like if I put a couple coats of the SSR 3, then 2.5, then 1? Thanks again bro.

I'll be buying an orbital from you soon.
m3on20z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 10:58 PM   #75
Detailed Image
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3on20z
This might be a dumb question, but if I used an agressive polish (Poorboy's SSR 3) on paint that isn't as bad as the product was designed for, would it harm the paint at all? Like if I put a couple coats of the SSR 3, then 2.5, then 1? Thanks again bro.

I'll be buying an orbital from you soon.
Honestly the SSR 3 is SUPER aggressive and would not recommend it to a weekend detailer. It causes a lot of hazing that needs to be followed up with the 2.5 to even restore the shine back int he paint. What I would suggest would be to do a coat of the 2.5 with an Orange Cutting Pad or even a Wool pad, then another coat of the 2.5 with a White Polishing Pad, followed by the SSR 1 with a White Polishing Pad... Save the SSR 3 for pro's Even I don't like using it!

my .02

George

Old 07-13-2005, 11:18 PM   #76
niL
is on da floor

My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via AIM to niL
PLEASE give me a run down of ALL the products used on this hood: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...Hood-aft-1.jpg

my car has swirls like this and my father has a black jeep hazed to death, im looking forward purchasing these products soon
niL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 11:51 PM   #77
PriMoPyRo

OK I think got it hahahah

PC 7424 e46 Combo Kit (not on website yet)

Clay Magic Detailing Clay - Fine Grade 200g

SSR 2.5 + SSR 1 Special

Menzerna Finishing Combo - Finishing Touch Glaze 16oz + Full Molecular Jacket 16oz

P21S Concour Carnauba Wax 6.2oz Jar

Grand Total - ALOT

I just went through the first posts and snagged all the suggestions(hope they are good suggestions), Ill be ordering as soon as I get another job this week, stupid me leaving my other job... bleh....this a big purchase for me hehe NEED JOB!
Old 07-14-2005, 12:00 AM   #78
Detailed Image
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriMoPyRo
OK I think got it hahahah

PC 7424 e46 Combo Kit (not on website yet)

e46 Upgraded Paint Preperation Kit

Full Molecular Jacket 16oz + P21s Concour Carnauba Wax 6.2oz Jar - $60

Grand Total - ALOT
The e46 Upgraded Paint Prep packaged I put together will help save you some $ and puts you with all the Menzerna Line of polishes similar to the SSR combo. SSR is a great product and works well by hand, but on newer cars with a buffer I really like the way the Menzerna Polishes perform! Plus I just made a special bundle price for you for the FMJ and P21s Take a look at the packages I put together in my sig for the group rates!

George

Last edited by Detailed Image; 07-14-2005 at 12:12 AM.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:38 AM   #79
m3on20z
Sh!t Happens.

My Ride: W203 dumped on 20's
Send a message via AIM to m3on20z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
The e46 Upgraded Paint Prep packaged I put together will help save you some $ and puts you with all the Menzerna Line of polishes similar to the SSR combo. SSR is a great product and works well by hand, but on newer cars with a buffer I really like the way the Menzerna Polishes perform! Plus I just made a special bundle price for you for the FMJ and P21s Take a look at the packages I put together in my sig for the group rates!

George
So for a 96 S-class, Should I go with Poorboy's or Menzerna?
m3on20z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 12:45 AM   #80
Detailed Image
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3on20z
So for a 96 S-class, Should I go with Poorboy's or Menzerna?
They are both excellent products, I'll stand by either one... It depends on the condition of the paint IMO... The Poorboy's is a tad more aggressive than the Menzerna and works better if your applying it by hand. One newer paint that is still in good condition that needs some minor fixing with a buffer I prefer the Menzerna. Menzerna polishes were designed to work with buffers.

You won't go wrong with either brands but I feel each one has its place.

If you can take pics of the condition of the paint I'll give you a better conclusion.

George