E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 37 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:34 AM   #1021
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
The shine is probably from oils collecting their from your skin. I would suggest wiping it down with a cleaner like the 303 Cleaner and Spot Remover. If it needs a really deep cleaning you can use the Leatherique Prestine Clean. This is typically applied to leather but also works great on leatherette, vinyl and rubber. This will certainly deep clean the steering wheel and then you can also use it on your seats.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 10:41 AM   #1022
330 HRE
Banned

My Ride: 330
Greg,
What is the oil rejuvinator used for then? In the directions it said to use the cleaner and then the oil rejuvinator to give it a the softness again for the leather seats....is it really needed? I know when I use the cleaner the leather feels really great, but afterwards the oil makes it all not looking nice again...I do put little amounts of the oil rejuvinator as my leather isn't beat yet. I been doing this 2x a year for the past 2 years. The steering wheel on the other hand hasn't gotten cleaned at all.
330 HRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 11:13 AM   #1023
Greg@DetailedImage.com

I'm not sure if you're referring to the Leatherique Rejuvenator in specefic or other products. I'll outline what you should do with the Leatherique Rejuvenator and Prestine Clean and the differences between the products. If you're using other products let me know and we can discuss them as well.

The Prestine Clean is a leather cleaner that has conditioners in it. The Rejuvenator is packed with conditioners and can restore the hardest leather. . To clean the leather and condition it use the Leatherique Prestine Clean with a terry cloth applicator. Rub it into the seats with the applicator and wait about 15 – 20 minutes then remove with a damp microfiber towel, followed by a dry towel. If you want a really deep conditioner that really helps revive the leather apply the Leatherique Rejuvenator first and let that bake into the seat (I let it sit on the seat and then put the car in the sun all day to bake in) then put the Leatherique Prestine Clean right on top of it and follow the process listed above. After this process with these products is complete there is no oily residue left behind at all. This process will work great on your wheel as well. Its important to take care of the wheel due to the amount of contact it has with your skin on a dialy basis.

You don't have to use the Rejuvenator each time but it obviously delivers a lot more conditioners to the surface. For new leather some people will just use the Prestine Clean, I recommend using the Rejuvenator on any leather over 2 years old atleast 1 - 2 times a year, just to ensure it will stay healthy.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 06-29-2006, 12:07 AM   #1024
330 HRE
Banned

My Ride: 330
Thanks Greg,
The products and how they are used are much better explained now. The leather does feel alot better after I used it correctly.
330 HRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 05:29 PM   #1025
Milla

My Ride: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by picus
I'm impressed, most people get the order wrong the first time.

Just a tip; after you apply FTG (if you choose to apply it), make sure you've removed all the residue, and if you have time let the car sit for awhile, then come back and re-wipe. FTG can be tough to remove entirely, and if you leave any residue on it'll play games with the EX. Cheers.

Thanks for the tip! I gotta say, I cheated a bit and did a quick search on the thread for the same question

[ 1997 TECHNO VIOLET M3/4/5 VF SUPERCHARGED | 2000 IMOLA RED M5 DINAN S | 2001 PHOENIX YELLOW M3 | 2002 JET BLACK M5 | 2003 ESTORIL BLUE X5 4.6is ]

I support FelloRacing, MillaVipe & Performance Race Solutions!!!

Want to meet other enthusiasts in the area? Central Florida BMW Owners is for you!

TWITTER/millakins & INSTAGRAM/millakins
Milla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 05:32 PM   #1026
Milla

My Ride: Too many to list
Greg, I also got the Lexol leather bottles and I already had the BMW leather care product. Do I need to use all 4 (all 3 Lexol + 1 BMW) or just the Lexol ones for the best results?

[ 1997 TECHNO VIOLET M3/4/5 VF SUPERCHARGED | 2000 IMOLA RED M5 DINAN S | 2001 PHOENIX YELLOW M3 | 2002 JET BLACK M5 | 2003 ESTORIL BLUE X5 4.6is ]

I support FelloRacing, MillaVipe & Performance Race Solutions!!!

Want to meet other enthusiasts in the area? Central Florida BMW Owners is for you!

TWITTER/millakins & INSTAGRAM/millakins
Milla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 06:29 PM   #1027
Greg@DetailedImage.com

There is no right answer but I would stick with just the Lexol ones for now. It should come out great with the three Lexol products. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 07-07-2006, 10:40 AM   #1028
OneTime

My Ride: 2004 330i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTime
DT,

any deals on blue microfiber towels going on? Need about 10 of them

Just received my towels and "Pinnacle" wax! The wax is SWEET ! One thing though...read the instructions after I used the stuff and they recommend a 12 hour cure before another coat. If that's the case...just wasted some expensive wax. Should I wait for any more coats?
OneTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 12:52 PM   #1029
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Glad you got the products fast, we do make a strong effort to ship fast. The Pinnacle Wax is stunning, its quickly becoming the favorite of many professionals and consumers. The 12hr cure time is for ideal results. You can certainly layer more coats but it won't have the maximum effectiveness/bonding. My advice would be to wait as long as you can but don't worry if you can't wait the full 12 hours. Maybe apply one coat at night, keep it garaged and apply another coat in the morning if you have the time.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 07-07-2006, 05:20 PM   #1030
OneTime

My Ride: 2004 330i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregs
Glad you got the products fast, we do make a strong effort to ship fast. The Pinnacle Wax is stunning, its quickly becoming the favorite of many professionals and consumers. The 12hr cure time is for ideal results. You can certainly layer more coats but it won't have the maximum effectiveness/bonding. My advice would be to wait as long as you can but don't worry if you can't wait the full 12 hours. Maybe apply one coat at night, keep it garaged and apply another coat in the morning if you have the time.

Greg @ Detailed Image

That's what I'll do
OneTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:03 AM   #1031
EQ

My Ride: 11 M3/04 330I/92 NSX
Hey Greg, any discounts for forum members?
EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 09:02 AM   #1032
02White330Ci

My Ride: 04 A/W ZHP
How exactly do you use the yellow bug and tar remover pad that i ordered?? Seems kind of rough to just use it directly on the paint.
02White330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 09:38 AM   #1033
Greg@DetailedImage.com

As of right now we don't have a coupon code for forum members. You can PM me about bundle deals or other inquaries.

The yellow bug and tar block should be soaked in warm soapy water for 2+ minutes and gently glided across the surface of your paint. Rinse the block frequently so you're not grinding contamination into the paint.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 07-20-2006, 12:53 PM   #1034
tkogto

My Ride: 02 330Ci convertible
Greg/George,

Do you sell or can you recommend a quality water softener product/system? I saw one in Griot's but my experience with them is that their products are good quality but more than a little overpriced. Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks,
TKO
Shark Injector/GruppeM/Michelin PS2/BBS LM/Eibach Pro kit/Axxis Deluxe+/UUC mag strut brace/Euro clears/OEM M3 steering wheel/OEM M3 mirrors/M3 lip spoiler/M-Tech II full kit/E46 Projectors/UUC G2 sways/
tkogto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 09:09 PM   #1035
N1boo0!

My Ride: MB
Greg/George,

I have some questions here..

I will be applying of the following to my car: SSR 1-->SSR2.5-->Menzerna FTG--> PB- EX sealant--> Natty's paste wax.(Using a PC).Do I need anything else based on your experience?My car is black and many light swirls/scratches!DISASTER!!

The question is how many pads and what kind of pads do I need to get the best result out of those products?Perhaps, I should do multiple coats using SSR2.5(Using cutting pad for 2 coats and polishing pad for 1/2 coats?

Also,I am thinking to keep buy some quick detailing products and I was thinking Z-6 and Z-8! Is it ok to use Zaino products after ,since I will use PBs and Menzerna to start with?

I know some of my questions might have been mentioned or asked before,but it is just too many pages in your thread! LOL..

Really appreciate the future info!!

Nick...
N1boo0! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:51 AM   #1036
Greg@DetailedImage.com

tkogto - we don't sell a system at this time

N1boo0! - Your list looks good, the only other step you might want to add is a clay bar. Clay bars help remove surface contamination which increases the effectiveness of polishes. Here is the order of operations and pads I recommend with your current list of products:
Wash / Dry
Clay Bar - optional
(make sure this is applied before SSR 1.0) SSR 2.5 - orange cutting pad
SSR 1.0 - white polishing pad
FTG - white polishing pad
EX - black finishing pad
Natty's Blue - must be hand applied (I really like the microfiber applicator pads)

As for multiple coats of the SSRs it really varies per vehicle. Each vehicle has its own condition due to: manufacturer’s clear coating process, age and condition of vehicle, type of product, hand or buffer application, type of pad or applicator, skill of detailer and more. In summary I would do what you think is best give your situation. Maybe this time just do one coat of each and then next time experiment with mutiple coats.

As for putting the quick detailers on top, I'm not sure how much they would add during the detail process if you just applied a carnauba wax. You can look at the Menzerna High Gloss Acrylic Shield if you want a great spray on sealant. Try it and see what you think. It might work better as a maintenance step that you apply after your next wash/dry.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 07-24-2006, 11:23 AM   #1037
N1boo0!

THANKS ALOT Greg! Great details!

I will do what you told me ASAP,cant wait the result LOL...

Just one more thing,somehow I just love the way Z-6 and Z-8 working on my friend's car and I really want to get them.Do you think it will be ok if I use Zaino quick detailing for maintainance purposes?I mean,would it affect my detailing result (using SSRs and Menzerna)?

Nick...
Old 07-24-2006, 11:49 AM   #1038
michael marcos

My Ride: 2004 BMW X3
x3 painting

im not entirely sure if this is your area of expertise, but i am looking to repaint my x3's black plastic bumpers.. any idea as to what paint i'd use, any kind of preparation necessary? thanks a lot, and nice responses on the threads, you seem to know what you're doing :p

"A cat shall lead the dumb, and they shall rejoice, but of course, they shall misspell their banners" -Bucky Katt
click for pics of my car
michael marcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:45 PM   #1039
Greg@DetailedImage.com

N1booo1! - We're happy to hear our information has helped you. The detail should come out fantastic! As for the z6 - z8 it should be fine as a maintenance step. My only concern was that it might not help you during the full detail, its a better maintenance option.

michael marcos - Sorry I wouldn't consider myself an expert in painting plastics and dont have any great links off hand. I'll keep my eye out for info and let you know if I find anything.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 07-24-2006, 09:21 PM   #1040
N1boo0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregs
N1booo1! - We're happy to hear our information has helped you. The detail should come out fantastic! As for the z6 - z8 it should be fine as a maintenance step. My only concern was that it might not help you during the full detail, its a better maintenance option.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Once again,THANKS!