E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 37 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:52 PM   #1141
Detailed Image
Sponsor

My Ride: Audi S4
Send a message via AIM to Detailed Image
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotta love it! View Post
I plan to finish up my full detail this evening when the sun is gone. Anyway, do I have to wash the car again before applying Klasse AIO and SG if the car is clean? I'm just curious if the Instant Detailer will affect the Klasse bonding to the surface. Should I remove the Instant Detailer by washing and then using Klasse? Or can I just go right ahead and Klasse it up?

Thanks!
The AIO would cut thru any sort of protection the QD may have offered so feel free to go right on top of it with no bonding issues. If you removed the QD with a towel as you went along you can avoid re-washing. If you did not remove the QD as you went along then definately re-wash. Some people do like washing after a good clay bar to make sure any loosened contamination was fully removed, if you do go this route you shouldn't need much time to rewash a vehicle that was just clayed.

Let us know how you make out.

Sincerely,

George @ Detailed Image

Wash & Dry Products, Clay Bars, Polishes, Sealants, and Waxes
10offe46 - Discount Code for 10% Off for e46fanatics members
Detail University - Detailing Enthusiast Discussion Forum
Detailed Image is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:33 PM   #1142
editwizard

My Ride: Silver 2001 330i
steam clean rims?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregs View Post
Most wheel cleaners you find in stores are highly acidic and quite strong. These typically can break up most loose contamination. Never use these type of cleaners on any high polished aluminum, chrome or fine metal surfaces, most alloy wheels are fine. The Megs and Eagle One all use these strong acids and would probably have a similar result. The P21S Wheel Gel is a ph balanced wheel cleaner that is safe on all wheels. This is a great product for regular maintenance but would probably not remove the worst grime you are describing.

Since the build ups your describing are in the corners I'm guessing it's a common spot where brake dust is hitting. This brake dust hits the wheel at very high temperatures and with repeated exposure to the same area the wheel can develop fine pits. These pits collect more brake dust and are often extremely difficult to clean. Depending on how bad it is I don't know if anything will remove it but I've had my best success with a strong metal polish like the P21S Finish Restorer. This is a deep cleaning polish that should be worked in with a paint safe two sided microfiber polishing towel for best results. If anything can take it out this would be your best bet, from all the different products I've tried.

Hope this information helped.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Thanks Greg! I'm thinking of ordering the p21s metal polish but is this okay for the painted / clear-coated rims?

Another idea I had is my wife just bought a 'Shark' steam cleaner and I wondered if it was safe to try on this rim's really deep stuck on brake dust?

Wow, thanks for the 'detailed' advice
Larry
editwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 07:38 AM   #1143
gotta love it!

My Ride: 325ci
Hey DI,

One more question for ya! I haven't moved my car out of my driveway since I started detailing it yesterday. Anyway, I plan on applying my 2nd and 3rd coats of Klasse SG today. I was wondering, when is the soonest I can start driving after I apply my final coat?
gotta love it! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:44 AM   #1144
Detailed Image
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotta love it! View Post
Hey DI,

One more question for ya! I haven't moved my car out of my driveway since I started detailing it yesterday. Anyway, I plan on applying my 2nd and 3rd coats of Klasse SG today. I was wondering, when is the soonest I can start driving after I apply my final coat?
Once your done, your done! Step back and enjoy the hard work. The coat will finish curing as you are out for your drive for the following 12 - 24 hours. To add even more depth top SG w/ a natural carnauba wax or enjoy the really reflective and mirror like shine you'll get from SG.

George @ Detailed Image

Old 08-23-2006, 04:22 PM   #1145
0hMyGod

My Ride: is faster than yours
Send a message via AIM to 0hMyGod
I got some chemical looking residue/marks stuff on the polished rim. Is there a anyway to take those marks off?
0hMyGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 08:48 AM   #1146
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
Is the mark above the surface or etched into the wheel? Any pictures?

Some chemical stains are caused from a chemical reaction between wheel cleaners and the wheels metal surface. Wheel cleaners can use strong acidic formulas that aren't safe for all wheel finishes. Sometimes these stains can not be completely removed without refinishing the wheel If the stain can be removed the deepest wheel cleaning formula I have used is the P21S Finish Restorer. This works deep into the surface of the wheel to release built up brake dust, oxidation, road grime and more. If anything can remove this, the P21S Finish Restorer is generally the product of choice.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:44 AM   #1147
0hMyGod

My Ride: is faster than yours
Send a message via AIM to 0hMyGod
Thanks for info Greg
I think it's on the surface since it's smooth.
and I will try to pick up the p21 and try. and Maybe post pics
Thanks for your help
0hMyGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:50 AM   #1148
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Glad to hear the information helped, if you have any other questions don't hesitate to post them here. Let us know how the results turn out.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 08-28-2006, 02:54 AM   #1149
E46007

My Ride: 01 330ci hellrot red
I got a quick question for you greg about washing and waxing my car. i wanted to buy one of the buddle wax kit for my car. im not a pro at this so i was looking to get like a starter kit first, but dont know which one since there is so many. i was wondering if there was a special deal for fanatics also? i also wanted to know what is the best way and chems. to get rid of swirls. thanks for any help.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:29 AM   #1150
Greg@DetailedImage.com

There are many options that will give you a great shine. As for protection for your clear coat we're running an amazing special right now (www.detailedimage.com homepage) on two of our favorite products. The Poorboy's World EX-P is a pure sealant that will give you very durable protection and a great shine. Next I like to top the sealant with the Poorboy's World Natty's Blue Paste Wax. This leaves a very deep and glossy finish. This is a very quick and easy two-step process that really makes the paint look fantastic!

If you really want the absolute best shine for hellrot red paint I would recommend the Menzerna Full Molecular Jacket (FMJ) and Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax. The FMJ is an amazing sealant that really gives you a deep shine, durable protection, easy application and removal. Best of all you only need about .75 ounces to do one coat. It leaves the surface very slick and is the most well balanced sealant that I have used. Next put a layer of Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax. This Paste Wax is the premier product to put on any red finish. It adds a depth and gloss that is abolsutely stunning. The paint looks endlessly deep and very glossy! This would be my ideal combo for maximum results on hellrot red.

As for polishing the paint this is a little bit more involved, I sent you a PM explaining the options you have. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks for posting!

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 08-28-2006, 09:22 AM   #1151
JCz04Bimmer

My Ride: 2004 330Ci & 06 Z4MC
Send a message via AIM to JCz04Bimmer
I still can't believe just how helpful this thread is. Its at the top of the Hall of Fame in my eyes. Anyway, its about that time again to resuply a bit. Have a big detailing coming up on Saturday. Greg, I'm sending you guys an email in a few minutes.

JCz04Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:28 AM   #1152
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Thank you very much, this thread/forum is something we do work hard at so we can always provide you guys with quality information. I'll be checking my e-mail like always and I'm ready to help you with your next order.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 08-28-2006, 10:18 AM   #1153
JCz04Bimmer

My Ride: 2004 330Ci & 06 Z4MC
Send a message via AIM to JCz04Bimmer
Email sent.

Also, I don't know how new it is, but the website looks fantastic. Imposibly informative.

JCz04Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:45 PM   #1154
island_roots

My Ride: 330Ci ZHP
Hey Detailed Image,

Thank you for excellent products and customer service. I just received my large shipment of detailing supplies including the PC 7424. Shipment was real fast to Chicago, everything was packed very good. Got email confirmation with tracking numbers the same day i placed the order.

I got a black BMW with a some pretty good swirls and haze so i cant wait to put all these products to good use and see the outcome.

I asked if they were still doing free shipping but they werent. But instead George threw in some free products which easily cost as much as the shipping. AWESOME!!! Would definitely do business with again.
Thanks again D.I.

Andy
island_roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 05:27 PM   #1155
Riceboy28

My Ride: 330ci
Received my order from Detailed image and everything was great. LIke everyone else said, packed nicely with tracking number and everything!

Just a quick leather care questions. I purchased the leatherique pristine clean and some microfiber towels. I wiped down my seats with a damp cloth and applied the pristine clean on one of the micro fiber towels and worked it into the seams. It absorbed well and I didn't need to wipe down afterwards. Is this normal though? The seats look and feel exactly the same..which is guess is how it's supposed to work. Just wondering if I missed something? didn't apply enough of it?

P.S. I highly recommend using a dispenser bottle, like the ones they sell on their site, when applying this. Thanks!
Riceboy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:41 PM   #1156
Detailed Image
Sponsor

Riceboy28 - thank you for the positive feedback. While I was just informed that the leatherique prestine clean bottles aren't too clear on the proper procedures, these are the steps we suggest following:

1) Apply Prestine Clean onto the leather seats using an applicator pad or some detailers prefer to apply with their hands to massage the product into the leather.
2) Let sit for approximately 15 - 30 minutes.
3) With a warm damp cloth remove excess products
4) With a dry, clean cloth, buff completely dry

This process will yield maximum results.

Andy - Thanks for the positive feedback, looking forward to hearing what you think about the results!

Sincerely,

George @ Detailed Image

Old 09-01-2006, 10:01 AM   #1157
Hollywood619

My Ride: 2005 330i ZHP
Greg or George. My car has been on a transoceanic shipment and I have power washed the undercarriage as there was some salt accumulation and have washed the car twice to remove any contaminants from the paint (looks so-so) I have pruchased an equivalent of your PC full kit from another fanatic and have P21S paint cleanser and P21S carnauba wax. Besides those 2 products is there anything else you would recommend as a must-have for a good finish? I have a shady area to work and am using Meguire's soap, new lambswool wash mit and Spain happens to have very contaminant free water.

Thanks in advance!
Hollywood619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 11:18 AM   #1158
Greg@DetailedImage.com

The P21S Paintwork Cleanser is great at removing very very light surface contamination and imperfections. The P21S Carnauba Wax is a beautiful wax that gives you a nice deep and rich appearance. Unfortunately the protection from this wax is minimal, especailly in warmer weather.

What other products you need depends on how much you want your vehicle to look great. One step which is optional is to clay bar the vehicle. The clay bar helps remove surface contamination that is on top of the clear coat and embedded in he ridges of the clear coat. I would highly recommend a two step polish to remove some serious swirls and imperfections. This permanently removes swirls and really makes the paint bright. This step produces the most noticeable results in my opinion. If you have a PC 7424 I would recommend using the Menzerna Intensive Polish and Final Polish II. Probably the most important product in any detail is a sealant to give your paint long lasting protection and a great shine. Sealants last longer than waxes in general and give you anywhere from 3 - 12 months of protection. Apply this after you have polished and then you can top off the sealant with your P21S Carnauba Wax for more protection and added gloss.

Just for reference here is the complete lists of steps you can do:

Wash/Dry - Clay Bar - Polishing (most aggressive polish to least aggressive) - Glaze - Sealant - Wax

In summary what completes a proper detail is up to you. We just try to supply to you the information that you need to make an informed decision. Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help you.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 09-01-2006, 11:22 PM   #1159
h0mersimps0n

My Ride: 2003 CPO ZHP 330i
Greg, thanks for your help so far. I purchased the Poorboy EX-P and Natty Paste Wax and hopefully get to use at least one tomorrow after applying my LAMIN-X...

My rims are alloy so I'm just going to spot test whatever I can find locally to spray-clean them...

My question to you now is Worn away/scratched parts of my leather seats. It looks like the former owner of my car would sit into the bucket seats and slide right over the side-flank cushin just wearing away the black surface of the leather. The leather still appears in tact, just worn away the surface. For now I'd like to just make the white- black. Would a shoe polish or something over-the-counter work well for this situation? New leather seats are not an option at this point- we just need to hide the blemish for now...

thanks as always.
h0mersimps0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 11:30 AM   #1160
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Glad to hear you picked up some great products from our new homepage special!

Just be careful with the over the counter wheel cleaners. They can be acidic as you know, so just dilute them with some water. Also spot treat the wheel as you stated.

If the surface is worn its tough to fix it and I can't say for sure if the shoe polish will work. I haven't tried this so I can't talk about it from experience. If you do try it please let us know what you think of the results, we're always looking to hear about new tips and tricks.

Greg @ Detailed Image