E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 41 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:56 PM   #101
csunflip

My Ride: 2005 330i ZHP
Send a message via AIM to csunflip
Thanks for the quick answer George....

And now the dreaded question.....

After I spend 2 days with all this work....what should i do to maintain that shine?

Wash every two weeks? And FMJ after each wash?

Then redo the whol process every 4 months or so? Let me know you opinion!

I know this has been killed......
Old 07-15-2005, 03:03 PM   #102
M3_POWER

My Ride: is better than yours
Polishing my car right now with PB 2.0. Should I follow it up with 1.0 or will I be ok going to klasse AIO?
M3_POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 03:23 PM   #103
Detailed Image
Sponsor

My Ride: Audi S4
Send a message via AIM to Detailed Image
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_POWER
Polishing my car right now with PB 2.0. Should I follow it up with 1.0 or will I be ok going to klasse AIO?
If your using the 2.0 you probably can get away with going right to the AIO... I would say if you used the 2.5 then definately go with the 1 first. But you can go either way... If you are super meticulous I'd say hit the 1 but I don't think its necessary in your case.

George

Wash & Dry Products, Clay Bars, Polishes, Sealants, and Waxes
10offe46 - Discount Code for 10% Off for e46fanatics members
Detail University - Detailing Enthusiast Discussion Forum
Detailed Image is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 05:56 PM   #104
Detailed Image
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by csunflip
Thanks for the quick answer George....

And now the dreaded question.....

After I spend 2 days with all this work....what should i do to maintain that shine?

Wash every two weeks? And FMJ after each wash?
The FMJ is going to give you long lasting protection for 4-6+ months (pending weather conditions and amount of driving you do) so there is no need to apply that every 2 weeks. If you wash it any want to apply a coat of something, invest in a jar of Carnauba Wax to top the FMJ. This will keep your car looking the wettest and bright out maximum depth after each coat. Or check out this new item from Menzerna: High Gloss Acrylic Shield ... it is actually a spray on acrylic that will keep your FMJ pop'ing and gives you some added protection as well as brings out some added gloss and depth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csunflip
Then redo the whole process every 4 months or so? Let me know you opinion!

I know this has been killed......
At a minimum do the process twice a year Spring time after Winter and in the Fall to prep the paint for the Winter. At a maximum I'd say there is no need to do it more than 4x a year (once a season). Proper washing and drying and coats of Carnauba can be applied throughout though.

Feel free to follow up with any more questions

Sincerely,

George Dushensky
Detailed Image - Owner

Old 07-17-2005, 07:16 AM   #105
blackmsport

My Ride: 330ci
Zaino vs Klasse

What is the difference between Zaino and Klasse and do you recommend one over the other and why?
blackmsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 10:38 AM   #106
Lugnut2683

My Ride: Lotus Elise
Send a message via AIM to Lugnut2683
Hey George, it's great to have a professional on board. I've detailed for many years, but I've done things the old fashioned way (all hand, old products), so it's great to hear some advice from someone who really knows their stuff. Hell, I say do away with the whole forum section and just keep this thread!

So I'm posting my question here that I had posted in another forum. You had recommened the PoorBoys 2.5 & 1 combo for detailing my parents Jaguar XJ8, but I wanted to ask you some more questions.

First of all, the paint is in great condition, and there are NO SWIRLS. However, my father was too excited about the car when he purchased it, and instead of letting me come over and detail the car for him, he took the liberty of washing the car himself for the first time in the DIRECT SUNLIGHT AT 90 DEGREE TEMPERATURES!!

Needless to say, the result was some major water spots on the paint and the glass.

So I would rather not go with a medium abrasive product like PB 2.5 if I didn't have to, but is this the only way I will get through those waterspots? Like I said, this paint detail is unusual because there are bad water spots, yet the finish is otherwise in excellent condition because it's only about a year old and it is washed weekly with a chenille wash mitt and Meguiar's Gold Class car wash.

So what would you recommend? Should I still use the 2.5/1 combo? Or perhaps a 2.5/1 combo but using strictly polishing pads (rather than a cutting pad for the 2.5 step)?

My second question is about water spots on the glass. I am crazy about keeping my glass clean, so I've never had a problem with water spots, because I've prevented the problem from occuring ahead of time. The same cannot be said for the Jaguar because of that first wash in the sun. I've heard of using 0000 grade steel wool, but I'm a little weary of doing this on a $65,000 vehicle. Do you have any recommendations for glass polishes? When my father and I restored my 72' El Camino, we had used a glass polishing compound from Eastwood company to try and restore the glass, but it didn't work very well and we ended up replacing the glass altogether. It's not as easy (or affordable) to replace the glass on a 2004 Jaguar!

Your advice is greatly appreciated!

DIY Garage Build (Updated November 18, 2009):

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=297607
Lugnut2683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 08:01 AM   #107
1999 TV Dinan M

My Ride: a car
Thank you

George,
It was great speaking to you on the phone, thank you for taking the time on your trip. I wanted to post this pubically so that the rest of the forum people know that you guys are reachable and that you are not only helpful via posts but also via phone. I will be PM'ing you as requested.

Keith
1999 TV Dinan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 11:04 AM   #108
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
George is a great guy. I got some menzerna fmj from him and I'm going to try it either today or tomorrow and post pics.
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 11:11 AM   #109
Detailed Image
Sponsor

Hey every1, sorry I was gone for the weekend for a car show where I was without internet access. I will be on later to respond to everyones posts! Hope every1 had a great weekend.

Keith - it was great talking to you and look forward to you stopping by!

Sincerely,

George

Old 07-18-2005, 04:59 PM   #110
Detailed Image
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmsport
What is the difference between Zaino and Klasse and do you recommend one over the other and why?
Which Zaino product and which Klasse product? Some of their products are similar to eachother and some are not so if you could please clairify which ones specifically I'll be happy to answer the questions for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnut2683
So what would you recommend? Should I still use the 2.5/1 combo? Or perhaps a 2.5/1 combo but using strictly polishing pads (rather than a cutting pad for the 2.5 step)?
Always start with the least aggressive and see if that works then proceed to the more aggressive as needed. Remember they do make a Poorboy's SSR 2 which is a great product to have on hand, right inbetween the 2.5 and the 1.

My steps would be in this order:

SSR 1 - Polishing Pad if this didn't work then:
SSR 2 - Polishing Pad
SSR 2 - Cutting Pad
SSR 2.5 - Polishing Pad
SSR 2.5 - Cutting Pad

SSR 1 is a finishing polish and remember you want to match your polishes with your pads so using a cutting pad with the SSR 1 negates potential results. That's like using SSR 3 with a Finishing Pad, just doesn't make sense!

Quote:
I've heard of using 0000 grade steel wool, but I'm a little weary of doing this on a $65,000 vehicle.
This method is pretty safe to use on glass, we've done it in the past to rid water marks... Make sure you are using a lubricant on the glass (glass cleaner, water / vinegar mix, etc.) though and not just running the steel wool over the glass. We just started carrying a company called Glass Science, who was founded by the guy who created Rain-X. They make a glass scrub that seems to work pretty well. Relatively cheap too, you can get the Glass Scrub and Rain Clear (rain-x upgrade in a new gel based formula) for $5.99 off of our site. A good friend of mine used it with great results, I've yet to have to clean water stains off of my own windshield so I personally haven't used it but from what I've heard it works good but may require more than 1 coat. Try those couple things first and if they don't work then let me know and we can go about another method.

Sincerely,

George @ Detailed Image

Old 07-19-2005, 10:29 AM   #111
Lugnut2683

My Ride: Lotus Elise
Send a message via AIM to Lugnut2683
Greg... new question

After assessing the Jaguar, I forgot to mention that it has the 3M Protective Clear Bra film on the entire front of the car, the front section of the hood, the door edges, the side skirts, and a small section behind the rear wheels.

Common sense tells me that I'm not going to go near the edge of the film with my buffer because I don't want to peel up the edges. But I'm wondering... how do I actually care for these areas?

I'm assuming that the black is going to really stand out once I detail the car, but what about the areas that are protected? I guess I can't really do more than just wax the film? What is your advice on detailing these films Greg? Thanks a lot!

DIY Garage Build (Updated November 18, 2009):

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=297607
Lugnut2683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 10:41 AM   #112
AccordGoob

My Ride: 97 Accord SE
You do some nice work. I don't post here nearly enough anymore.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:52 PM   #113
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
Quote:
Greg... new question

After assessing the Jaguar, I forgot to mention that it has the 3M Protective Clear Bra film on the entire front of the car, the front section of the hood, the door edges, the side skirts, and a small section behind the rear wheels.

Common sense tells me that I'm not going to go near the edge of the film with my buffer because I don't want to peel up the edges. But I'm wondering... how do I actually care for these areas?

I'm assuming that the black is going to really stand out once I detail the car, but what about the areas that are protected? I guess I can't really do more than just wax the film? What is your advice on detailing these films Greg? Thanks a lot!
You are correct I wouldn't go near the edge of the film with the buffer, do those areas by hand. To get as close as you can with the buffer I would tape off the edges of the 3M clear bra. If you buff the clear bra your bound to start peeling up the edges or getting product lodged in the crevis. If you want you could use something like Klasse All In One by hand to clean the clear bra and protect it but for regular maintenance I would just wash and dry it. The rest of the car might stand out a little bit more after you detail it but I think that's just the trade off you make for the protection of the clear bra.

Greg
Detailed Image - Owner

Last edited by Greg@DetailedImage.com; 07-19-2005 at 01:01 PM.
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 12:54 PM   #114
1999 TV Dinan M

My Ride: a car
Suggestion for the Mods..

Hey Mods! How about making this a Sticky, or A C H T U N G thread so that it stay at the top.. thi is taking off and deserves the proper respect?

Last edited by 1999 TV Dinan M; 07-19-2005 at 12:57 PM. Reason: why did ******* get starred?
1999 TV Dinan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 03:21 PM   #115
blackmsport

klasse vs Zaino

From a zaino perspective I am using Z2 and Z5. I am unsure of what would be similar from a Klasse side. Can you suggest which ones match up and which do you prefer?
Old 07-20-2005, 07:46 PM   #116
Detailed Image
Sponsor

Quote:
From a zaino perspective I am using Z2 and Z5. I am unsure of what would be similar from a Klasse side. Can you suggest which ones match up and which do you prefer?
Klasse All-in-One is the most comparable to Z2...

Both are chemical polishes that protect for months, very easy to apply and remove, give UV protection... All the good stuff

Z5 is a glaze... Closest thing to that would be Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze, which IMO is one of the best glazes on the market...

It is designed to hide imperfections rather than eliminate them like an abrasive polish would.

Let me know if you'd like me to compare other Zaino products.

Personally I don't like Zaino as their products are pretty deceptive as far as what the products are and they don't mix well with other brands. The best part about the brands we carry is you can mix and match them with other companies to customize your detail... sometimes you might not need step X or your scratches are deep compared to faint, etc. you have the liberty of interchanging pretty easily with the products we carry. There are pro's and con's to every product / line.

Don't get me wrong Zaino is good stuff, but I'd have to argue against saying its the best.

Sincerely,

George

Old 07-21-2005, 06:22 AM   #117
blackmsport

Zaino vs. Klasse

Thanks for your opinion on the products. It has been extremely helpful.

FYI...As I read the last posting and having some communications with Zaino I would tend to agree with you and your comment about mixing of products. According to Zaino wax is not to be applied on top of the product due to the optical perfection Zaino has. I assume he means that wax will only cloudy the paint once Zaino is on there. Do you agree with this?

Also a couple last questions? If I wanted to either use the Klasse products and/or Mazerna products what would your recommend I do? Strip the Zaino off, apply over top, etc... What product should I use if the paint is in excellent condition to just keep the sparkle and protection?

Thanks
Old 07-21-2005, 10:26 AM   #118
Detailed Image
Sponsor

Quote:
FYI...As I read the last posting and having some communications with Zaino I would tend to agree with you and your comment about mixing of products. According to Zaino wax is not to be applied on top of the product due to the optical perfection Zaino has. I assume he means that wax will only cloudy the paint once Zaino is on there. Do you agree with this?
I really would think it depends what wax you are using. Throwing a top layer of a quality carnauba would help IMO such as P21s Concours Carnauba. But putting a traditional wax on there would be pretty pointless because their "polishes" are already providing the protection coat on your paint. (I hope that makes sense b/c its hard to explain b/c they don't label their products correctly, ie. Their sealants = Zaino polish).

Quote:
Also a couple last questions? If I wanted to either use the Klasse products and/or Mazerna products what would your recommend I do? Strip the Zaino off, apply over top, etc... What product should I use if the paint is in excellent condition to just keep the sparkle and protection?

Thanks
You could strip down the layers of Zaino by washing with dawn as they suggest to get a fresh surface to work with. If your paint is in good condition with minimum swirls and imperfections you can skip the abrasive polishing step. For you I would suggest the following:

Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze - Similar to your Z5 you are using
Menzerna Full Mollecular Jacket - True polymer sealant that will protect 4-6+ months
P21s Concours Carnauba - Topper wax that will bring out even more depth and gloss than the FMJ
-optional- Menzerna Final Polish II - an extremely fine finishing polish to clear up any hazing and minor swirls. This step would be done first and prior to the FTG.

We have a package put together for the FMJ and P21s Concours in our group rate section to save over 15% off their regular price. Its Package e46-3b.

Follow the same principles as Zaino in the sense that less is more. Our products stretch extremely far, 2oz's can get 2-4 coats!

Hope this helps, and I look forward to hearing you compare your experience with Menzerna vs. Zaino

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

George
Detailed Image - Owner

Last edited by Detailed Image; 07-21-2005 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:58 PM   #119
HRE_M3

My Ride: LA D.A.S.H
Detailed Image,

Thanks for such an informative thread. I look forward to purchasing all my detail products from you from now on, after I finish using all my products from www.properautocare.com and www.autobarn.com of course
Old 07-24-2005, 10:02 PM   #120
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
this thread should be a sticky damnit!

-Ken
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote