E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 35 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:08 PM   #1301
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
Here is a How To for polishing by hand that should help clarify things. Its hard to quantify how much polish is needed but typically a quarter sized drop for a 2x2 area is about right. If the pad is brand new you might need a little extra. You want enough to cover the area, but not too much so your wasting product. I recommend smearing the product in over the 2x2 area to evenly distribute it and then buff it in. However you have to be careful that the product doesn't dry out and become too difficult to work with. You can remove it right away or after you do the whole vehicle, no cure time is needed. I typically will remove a polish right away but it may vary by each product.

Let us know if you have any other questions and Good Luck!

Greg @ Detailed Image
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 10:30 AM   #1302
tondinh

My Ride: n/a
Greg, just PMed you for tips and recommendation.
tondinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 11:25 AM   #1303
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Thanks for the PM, I sent a reply. Let me know if you have any questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 01-01-2007, 02:58 PM   #1304
cambridge1807

My Ride: 330Ci ZHP
Send a message via AIM to cambridge1807
Is there a point to PC the bumpers because they are plastic?
cambridge1807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 05:04 PM   #1305
Greg@DetailedImage.com

If the surface is just plastic I typically don't buff it. If its painted and clear coated then yes I would use the PC on it.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 01-03-2007, 01:43 PM   #1306
FABIO

My Ride: 01 E46 M3
Hi Greg. Can you tell me which wax pads (applicators) would be best to use to remove very very fine swirls (or just fine lines. not necessararly,(sp), swirls) that you can basically only see under gas station lights for example or certain angles?

Hopefully it's not a dumb question. I think i've read that different colored applicators are for different things right?

Thanks for any help.

Edit: By the way i meant by hand not with buffers if that matters.

Mods: V-CSL Bootlid, V-CSL Diffuser, Radenergie
R10's

Link To Pics: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...544&highlight=

Last edited by FABIO; 01-03-2007 at 01:47 PM.
FABIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 02:24 PM   #1307
Detailed Image
Sponsor

My Ride: Audi S4
Send a message via AIM to Detailed Image
Ideally by hand, I would tackle the situation using Lake Countries Hand Applicator Kit, which gives you the flexibility of choosing the proper pad for the situation. I would suggest starting with the Black Pad and if that doesn't do the trick move up to the White Pad. The Yellow Pad is going to be a cutting pad for more severe cases and the Blue Pad would be used for applying waxes or sealants since its the softest.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Sincerely,

George @ Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by FABIO View Post
Hi Greg. Can you tell me which wax pads (applicators) would be best to use to remove very very fine swirls (or just fine lines. not necessararly,(sp), swirls) that you can basically only see under gas station lights for example or certain angles?

Hopefully it's not a dumb question. I think i've read that different colored applicators are for different things right?

Thanks for any help.

Edit: By the way i meant by hand not with buffers if that matters.

Wash & Dry Products, Clay Bars, Polishes, Sealants, and Waxes
10offe46 - Discount Code for 10% Off for e46fanatics members
Detail University - Detailing Enthusiast Discussion Forum
Detailed Image is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:09 AM   #1308
musali

My Ride: e46 m3
george, i buffed my parents x5 using PC and SSR2.5 and 1.0, I assumed that the polish was trim safe but it turns out it isnt. Now i have a white stain on the trim pieces. i tried quick detailer on a MF towel but i start to rub off the black on teh trim and when it dries it still has white stains. Any help? maybe use the product 'back to black'?
Old 01-04-2007, 08:05 AM   #1309
derek80

My Ride: is optically clear
try isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) + distilled water...diluted 50:50,
and http://autogeek.net/forblacbumtr.html

Last edited by derek80; 01-04-2007 at 08:14 AM.
derek80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 10:17 AM   #1310
wrighterjw10

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Geroge i'm considering getting a new car and i've been looking into getting a black car.

What preventative measures can I take to avoid swirl marks? Can you recommend some products for routine exterior car?

I wax every 2-3 months, i've never clayed. What washing mits/drying cloths do you reccomend? I'v used the absorber and similar products before.

I'm looking to buy products for weekly washing, i'd like to get something very nice so I can avoid swirl marks. Please reccomend some products for washing, drying, and some sort of post-washing treatment. Thanks!
wrighterjw10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:13 PM   #1311
FABIO

My Ride: 01 E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
Ideally by hand, I would tackle the situation using Lake Countries Hand Applicator Kit, which gives you the flexibility of choosing the proper pad for the situation. I would suggest starting with the Black Pad and if that doesn't do the trick move up to the White Pad. The Yellow Pad is going to be a cutting pad for more severe cases and the Blue Pad would be used for applying waxes or sealants since its the softest.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Sincerely,

George @ Detailed Image
Thanks for the response. So let me just make sure i got it right:

For very fine lines only seen under certain lights and certian angles i would use the Black Pad. If that isn't abrasive enough then use the White Pad? Then after that should i then finish it off with the Blue pad or is it not needed?

By the way i will be using Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax or should i use a scratch remover first then go back over with the wax.

I figure the NXT tech wax is ok because i would be doing the entire car not one specific scratch.

Let me ask this as well. If i one day end up with a severe scratch and end up having to use the Yellow pad do you suggest i then go in sequence with the white then black all the way down to the blue finishing pad?

Sorry for all the questions.

Mods: V-CSL Bootlid, V-CSL Diffuser, Radenergie
R10's

Link To Pics: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...544&highlight=

Last edited by FABIO; 01-04-2007 at 12:20 PM.
FABIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:17 PM   #1312
rob1983

My Ride: 320d sport
do i need to clay?

I've just ordered a p c 7424 and am going to try and get rid of all the swirl marks on my car. I was going to use poorboys ssr 2.5 then 1. Do i need to use a clay bar first?
rob1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:18 PM   #1313
rob1983

My Ride: 320d sport
I've just ordered a p c 7424 and am going to try and get rid of all the swirl marks on my car. I was going to use poorboys ssr 2.5 then 1. Do i need to use a clay bar first?
rob1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:47 PM   #1314
wrighterjw10

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Greg, would it be worthwhile to wash, clay, wash, wax?

I'm not familiar with sealants and glazes and my car is literally brand new, would I be able to get by for the winter (2-3 mo.) with a simple clay and wax?
wrighterjw10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:36 AM   #1315
derek80

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrighterjw10 View Post
I'm not familiar with sealants and glazes and my car is literally brand new, would I be able to get by for the winter (2-3 mo.) with a simple clay and wax?
assuming you're not polishing, put sealant (which gives most protection) between clay and wax.
Wax alone will not give 3 month protection, especially during winter. Slight water beeding might be present, but most protection will be gone.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:37 AM   #1316
derek80

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1983 View Post
yes, clay then polish.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:31 AM   #1317
Detailed Image
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by musali View Post
george, i buffed my parents x5 using PC and SSR2.5 and 1.0, I assumed that the polish was trim safe but it turns out it isnt. Now i have a white stain on the trim pieces. i tried quick detailer on a MF towel but i start to rub off the black on teh trim and when it dries it still has white stains. Any help? maybe use the product 'back to black'?
Musali,

Unfortunately, there aren't many polishes, especially abrasive ones, that are safe on any trim. First step I would take is to use a 50/50 mix of isopropyl alcohol and water. If that doesn't do the trick, my favorite product for restoring trim is Leatherique Rubber Black. Many professional details use the rubber black with great success and like its durability and true matte finish over other competing products. This is a more permanent solution over time and multiple applications since it is a dye.

Here's a pic of what the rubber black ends up looking like:

Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.

Sincerely,

George @ Detailed Image

Old 01-05-2007, 10:02 AM   #1318
Detailed Image
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrighterjw10 View Post
Geroge i'm considering getting a new car and i've been looking into getting a black car.

What preventative measures can I take to avoid swirl marks? Can you recommend some products for routine exterior car?

I wax every 2-3 months, i've never clayed. What washing mits/drying cloths do you reccomend? I'v used the absorber and similar products before.

I'm looking to buy products for weekly washing, i'd like to get something very nice so I can avoid swirl marks. Please reccomend some products for washing, drying, and some sort of post-washing treatment. Thanks!
Great questions.

Congrats on purchasing a brand new car and wanting to take care of it correctly from day one.

First thing I would do is invest in a quality wash kit. I would suggest purchasing a Sheepskin Wash Mitt, a couple of Waffle Weave Drying towels, and a good lubricating shampoo that will not strip off previous coats of wax or sealant. The Sheepskin Wash Mitt is the safest you can use on any paint, especially on black, which shows imperfections the most of any color. Waffle Weave drying towels will absorb water quickly and easily for drying and are safe for your paint. As far as a shampoo, I like Poorboy's Super Slick and Suds. We have a package with all of those products put together here in Wash Kit #7. Here are direct links to the Sheepskin Wash Mitt and Waffle Weave Drying Towels if you would like to stock up on them.

As far as protecting your vehicle, I would suggest looking into a sealant to give you underlying protection which will last longer than a traditional wax. With your waxing schedule, you may have a lapse of protection since traditional waxes will yield anywhere from 3 - 8 weeks of protection. A quality sealant will give you 4 - 6 months of protection. My personal favorite is Menzerna Full Molecular Jacket because of its extreme ease of use, excellent durability and beautiful deep shine. With the FMJ as you're underlying protection that we suggest applying seasonally or every 4 months or so, you can still apply the wax of your choice on top to gain even more depth and gloss. Another good option instead of the wax for a quick boost of protection and depth and gloss would be to use Menzerna High Gloss Acrylic Shield, which is chemically designed to optimize the FMJ. The High Gloss Acrylic Shield is essentially a liquified version of Menzerna FMJ that will help boost depth and gloss, surface slickness and add additional protection for a shorter period of time. These two products work great with each other and provide an outstanding look.

This of course is just one option, I can certainly mention some other alternatives as well but I think you will be extremely pleased with the results from that group of products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrighterjw10

You would benefit from claying a new vehicle but it is not absolutely necessary. Typically new cars pick up some contamination, rail dust , etc. during transport of the new vehicle. By claying your vehicle, you will provide the freshest surface possible, which will also help maximize the durability of the sealant or wax you choose to go with. I personally like the ClearKote 200g Clay Kit. It's a fine grade clay bar and is large enough to cut up into 4 - 5 pieces for different uses.

The glaze would help hide imperfections that are in your clear coat, but if the vehicle was properly prepped and was not delivered to you with imperfections in the paint, this step would almost be pointless at this time.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions, I know this is a lot to digest.

Sincerely,

George @ Detailed Image

Last edited by Detailed Image; 01-05-2007 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Added reply for clay / glaze
Old 01-05-2007, 10:22 AM   #1319
Detailed Image
Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks for the response. So let me just make sure i got it right:

For very fine lines only seen under certain lights and certian angles i would use the Black Pad. If that isn't abrasive enough then use the White Pad?
This is correct, you would be using a light polish for this application.

Quote:
Then after that should i then finish it off with the Blue pad or is it not needed?
Correct you would apply your choice of sealant or wax with the blue pad.

Quote:
By the way i will be using Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax or should i use a scratch remover first then go back over with the wax.
This product is fine for protecting the paint with the blue pad, however it will not do anything as far as permanently removing the lines, it may just hide them. You would want to purchase a light polish (if you are going locally try 3M Swirl Mark Remover) or something like Menzerna Final Polish II or Poorboy's SSR1.

Quote:
Let me ask this as well. If i one day end up with a severe scratch and end up having to use the Yellow pad do you suggest i then go in sequence with the white then black all the way down to the blue finishing pad?

Sorry for all the questions.
This is correct, you can probably get away with Yellow -> White -> Blue though for normal needs. If you went VERY aggressive on a neglected vehicle then you may want to use all 4 pads with different level abrasives for each of the 3 polishing steps.

Don't be sorry about the questions, we are here to help!

Let me know if this covers everything.

George @ Detailed Image

Old 01-05-2007, 10:27 AM   #1320
Detailed Image
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1983 View Post
For optimal results, claying your vehicle would be beneficial. This will prep the surface ideally and let the polishes work on the clear coat, rather than on top of contamination. I would suggest doing it if you are looking to rid the maximum amount of swirls on your paint. I like the ClearKote Clay Kits due to their ease of use and the large 200g bars. The Quick Shine detailer is a nice product as well.

Good luck and be sure to post up your results.

Sincerely,

George @ Detailed Image