E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 42 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:28 AM   #121
Detailed Image
Sponsor

My Ride: Audi S4
Send a message via AIM to Detailed Image
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeng
this thread should be a sticky damnit!

-Ken

George

Wash & Dry Products, Clay Bars, Polishes, Sealants, and Waxes
10offe46 - Discount Code for 10% Off for e46fanatics members
Detail University - Detailing Enthusiast Discussion Forum
Detailed Image is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 08:56 PM   #122
BayerischeMW
Man with No Name

My Ride: '07 E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
You could strip down the layers of Zaino by washing with dawn as they suggest to get a fresh surface to work with.
what is this "dawn" you speak of?

on your "How To" pages on your website, it says:

Quote:
6. Begin washing your vehicle at the top and work your way down by gently applying pressure in circular motions.
should you really use circular motions when washing? is it just when drying, applying polish/wax one should use straight motions and NOT circular ones?

also, you know the plastic (i assume it's plastic?) housings on our BMWs sidemirrors? it's starting to looks white in some areas, what's the best product to clean and protect it? Plexus Plastic Cleaner & Polish?

thanks!

"if you wanna be king of the ring, this is the kind of car you should get" -M3 CSL
"there's no replacement for displacement" - only BMW ///M

Last edited by BayerischeMW; 07-27-2005 at 09:24 PM.
BayerischeMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 10:02 PM   #123
Detailed Image
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayerischeMW
what is this "dawn" you speak of?
Dawn dishwashing soap... What it will do is strip any wax that is on there if you want to start from a fresh surface. When maintaining you want to make sure you use a very good lubricating shampoo so it does NOT strip any of your hard work!

Quote:
on your "How To" pages on your website, it says:
should you really use circular motions when washing? is it just when drying, applying polish/wax one should use straight motions and NOT circular ones?
Yep, you got us there... We're actually in the process of redesigning our whole website and rewording everything on there, basically starting from scratch! If you are using the proper washing and drying techniques (2 wash buckets technique, microfiber or sheepskin washmitt, waffle weave drying towel) it shouldn't hurt to wash in circular motions, but to reduce the risk of potentially damaging your paint, you are correct.

Ideally (and this is going on the new site) horizontal panels (hood, roof, trunk) should be washed from left to right. Verticle ones, (doors, bumpers, etc.) should be washed up and down. That way, if a imperfection does occur, optically it will not be as visible.

Quote:
also, you know the plastic (i assume it's plastic?) housings on our BMWs sidemirrors? it's starting to looks white in some areas, what's the best product to clean and protect it? Plexus Plastic Cleaner & Polish?
Yep the Plexus should work assuming its plastic. Other options would be 303 Aerospace Cleaner, Poorboy's Trim Restorer, or even some Klasse AIO.

Sincerely,

George Dushensky
Detailed Image - Owner

Old 07-27-2005, 10:37 PM   #124
THATS FRESH

My Ride: SSHNIPER
Send a message via AIM to THATS FRESH Send a message via Skype™ to THATS FRESH
definitely should be a sticky!!...
thanks for all the wonderful info. i thought i knew everything. but i guess not.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:57 PM   #125
BayerischeMW
Man with No Name

awesome reply as always George, thanks a lot!

"if you wanna be king of the ring, this is the kind of car you should get" -M3 CSL
Old 07-28-2005, 09:01 AM   #126
Lugnut2683

My Ride: Lotus Elise
Send a message via AIM to Lugnut2683
Greg & George -

I received my special order of PoorBoy's 2.0, 1.0, and EX the other day. Thank you very much for the quick shipment and excellent packaging!

I am to begin detailing the Jaguar tomorrow. I understand that the orange cutting pad will be used with the 2.0, white polishing pad with 1.0, and a finishing pad with the EX.

My question is what speed should I use with each step? I am utilizing the Porter Cable 7424 DA polisher. I've worked with orbital machines in the past, but this is my first time with the PC 7424. Thanks for your help!

DIY Garage Build (Updated November 18, 2009):

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=297607
Lugnut2683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 09:59 AM   #127
Detailed Image
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnut2683
My question is what speed should I use with each step? I am utilizing the Porter Cable 7424 DA polisher. I've worked with orbital machines in the past, but this is my first time with the PC 7424. Thanks for your help!
Thanks for the compliments Lugnut2683!

Your polishes you will want to run a higher speed than you will the EX. For the 2.0 I'd personally run it around 4.5 (if its your first time you might want to run it at a lower speed 3 - 3.5 to get used to it). Same goes for the SSR 1. Work it in until it is barely visible, then remove w/ a microfiber towel. You can spot treat the areas that you can't get w/ the PC w/ the microfiber apps we sent. I'd run the EX at 2.5-3, you don't need to heat up the paint at all when applying sealants and waxes.

Thanks again!

George Dushensky
Detailed Image - Owner

Old 07-28-2005, 11:42 AM   #128
rcsmith

My Ride: NSX
Send a message via AIM to rcsmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomalexm
How about info on claybar? After i heard ppl threaten death if u dotn clay, i went out and got a ripped off claybar, didnt like its results, and went ahead and waxed with meguiars NXT tech with brilliant results. they clay scared me, the way it skidded or slid over paint
I did a little writeup on the clay bar.

http://www.sromagazine.com/home.php?op=go&id=1176
rcsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 11:58 AM   #129
323convert

My Ride: 323ci convertible
Question about foam pads:

I understand that using a heavy cutting pad with a light polish or sealant is inappropriate, but can you use a polishing or finishing pad with a compound? I wanted to know if I can use a white polishing pad with 3M Perfect-It II Fine Cut Rubbing Compound. I am trying to remove swirl marks, scuffs, and fine scratches from the previous owner. I would imagine the compound will still cut, even without a cutting pad, but I wanted to ask the experts. Thanks in advance for your response!
323convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 10:15 PM   #130
Detailed Image
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323convert
Question about foam pads:

I understand that using a heavy cutting pad with a light polish or sealant is inappropriate, but can you use a polishing or finishing pad with a compound? I wanted to know if I can use a white polishing pad with 3M Perfect-It II Fine Cut Rubbing Compound. I am trying to remove swirl marks, scuffs, and fine scratches from the previous owner. I would imagine the compound will still cut, even without a cutting pad, but I wanted to ask the experts. Thanks in advance for your response!
Sorry about the delayed response, we've been very busy lately:

The various detailing forums have info about only using pads that match the product--using pads that are more aggressive than the product only leads to marring/dulling from the pad, or using aggressive products with less aggressive pads creates scouring because the polish/cutting agent doesn’t heat up enough to be effective.

Can you use a compound / abrasive polish with a polishing pad and get decent results? Yes. With a finishing pad? No.

For example... SSR 2.5 with a white Lake Country Polishing Pad is fine. With a Black LC Finishing pad, no-no.

A lot of times we might do a coat w/ a cutting pad, then go over it with the same product on a polishing pad (example SSR 2.5) but never go less aggressive than a polishing pad for an abrasive polish/compound.

George

Old 07-29-2005, 12:15 AM   #131
323convert

My Ride: 323ci convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Can you use a compound / abrasive polish with a polishing pad and get decent results? Yes. With a finishing pad? No.

George
Thanks for you response! I suppose I'll give the white polishing pad a go, and then I'll step it up to an orange compounding pad if I don't like the results.
323convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 12:29 AM   #132
BayerischeMW
Man with No Name

just two quick questions,

will Klasse All-In-One remove old wax/sealants etc., or will only abrasive polishes do that?

which polish is the finest/least abrasive of Poorboy's World SSR 1 and Menzerna Final Polish II ?

thanks!

Old 07-30-2005, 01:31 AM   #133
Detailed Image
Sponsor

Quote:
just two quick questions,

will Klasse All-In-One remove old wax/sealants etc., or will only abrasive polishes do that?
The chemical cleaners will do a job removing any protectants on there...

Quote:
which polish is the finest/least abrasive of Poorboy's World SSR 1 and Menzerna Final Polish II ?thanks!
FP II is less aggressive IMHO.

Sincerely,

George

Old 07-30-2005, 12:54 PM   #134
JimmyDreams
1 Mod //Member

My Ride: '05 330 Zhp cabrio
Send a message via AIM to JimmyDreams
new car new finish

George....

New 330 silver grey metallic. A few water marks on the paint, very faint, but they're there. I can feel grit (by hand) on surface No swirl marks.

My plan:

Wash with Meguires Gold Class car wash (hey, it was cheap at Costco!)
claybar (more meguiars products) to remove water marks and grit
Manzerna finishing touch glaze
Menzerna FMJ (probably two coats)
caranuba wax as my energy allows for extra shine.

Anything you would do differently???

Thanks!!

JimmyD

2005 330CiC/ZHP

Bimmian...customer service before the sale? GREAT
Customer service after they get your money? NONEXISTANT!
JimmyDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 01:32 PM   #135
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDreams
George....

New 330 silver grey metallic. A few water marks on the paint, very faint, but they're there. I can feel grit (by hand) on surface No swirl marks.

My plan:

Wash with Meguires Gold Class car wash (hey, it was cheap at Costco!)
claybar (more meguiars products) to remove water marks and grit
Manzerna finishing touch glaze
Menzerna FMJ (probably two coats)
caranuba wax as my energy allows for extra shine.

Anything you would do differently???

Thanks!!

JimmyD
The clay bar will generally not remove the swirl marks. If they are extremely faint you may be able to get them out with the clay bar but more than likely you need a very mild polish like the Poorboy's World SSR 1.0 or Menzerna Final Polish II. These polishes are very gentle and can be applied by hand or buffer. Since you describe the marks as faint I think the polish would be more than enough to take them out. If they are a little difficult to remove then just give it multiple passes and it should be no problem. Other than that your plan sounds fine and your right on target.

If you still plan on claying your process would go as follows:

Wash/Dry
Clay
Some people will Wash/Dry again
Mild Polish - SSR 1.0 or Menzerna Final Polish II
Menzerna FTG
Menzerna FMJ
Carnauba Wax

If you have any more questions please let me know.

Greg
Detailed Image - Owner

Last edited by Greg@DetailedImage.com; 07-30-2005 at 01:36 PM.
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 02:55 PM   #136
JimmyDreams
1 Mod //Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregs
The clay bar will generally not remove the swirl marks. If they are extremely faint you may be able to get them out with the clay bar but more than likely you need a very mild polish like the Poorboy's World SSR 1.0 or Menzerna Final Polish II. These polishes are very gentle and can be applied by hand or buffer. Since you describe the marks as faint I think the polish would be more than enough to take them out. If they are a little difficult to remove then just give it multiple passes and it should be no problem. Other than that your plan sounds fine and your right on target.

If you still plan on claying your process would go as follows:

Wash/Dry
Clay
Some people will Wash/Dry again
Mild Polish - SSR 1.0 or Menzerna Final Polish II
Menzerna FTG
Menzerna FMJ
Carnauba Wax

If you have any more questions please let me know.

Greg
Detailed Image - Owner
George...

There are no swirl marks. Only light water stains. I assume the claybar will get out the stains. If not, then I'll use a mild polish. Check your web site for an order in a few minutes...

JimmyD

2005 330CiC/ZHP

Old 07-30-2005, 03:52 PM   #137
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDreams
George...

There are no swirl marks. Only light water stains. I assume the claybar will get out the stains. If not, then I'll use a mild polish. Check your web site for an order in a few minutes...

JimmyD
I received your order and you should have the necessary tools now to properly treat and maintain your car. I think you'll be very happy with the polish because now you have the ability to spot treat things water marks, sap, rail dust, tar marks or even just brighten the paint. I also am a big fan of the FTG and FMJ combo, I think you'll be very impressed with the results. Thank you for your support and we'll be shipping the order out asap.

Greg
Detailed Image - Owner
Old 07-30-2005, 03:55 PM   #138
JimmyDreams
1 Mod //Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregs
I received your order and you should have the necessary tools now to properly treat and maintain your car. I think you'll be very happy with the polish because now you have the ability to spot treat things water marks, sap, rail dust, tar marks or even just brighten the paint. I also am a big fan of the FTG and FMJ combo, I think you'll be very impressed with the results. Thank you for your support and we'll be shipping the order out asap.

Greg
Detailed Image - Owner
I sent you an email adding something to the order. I'm about to add some more (forgot glass cleaner!) Can you combine all the orders as one? Thanks.

I'll post pics of the sparkling vehicle once I finish her. Oh...and thanks for creating a lot of work for me!!!

JimmyD

2005 330CiC/ZHP

Old 07-30-2005, 04:06 PM   #139
Greg@DetailedImage.com

I saw your second order and we'll combine it all into one when we process it through. There is free shipping on all orders over $125 so we'll remove both shipping charges and combine the order into one when it goes out. Thanks again for your business and if you want to add anything else we can make that happen as well.

Greg
Detailed Image - Owner
Old 07-31-2005, 04:46 AM   #140
BayerischeMW
Man with No Name

how should one go about spoilers etc. when polishing/waxing? like these spots, wax must get caught and be hard to remove without scratching anything? (illustration picture borrowed from REVI's "Painted M3 Style Trunk Lip Spoiler" thread - hope you don't mind!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TRUNK_LIP_SPOILER_C.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	137333