E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 39 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:55 PM   #1441
SBKfan

My Ride: 328ci
Greg, what do you recommend polishing up the chrome window trim? I've used about everything I can find to shine that stuff up, but nothing is working. The metal is very dull and it has many water spots embedded in the finish. Looks really bad.

Edit: After doing a search, it looks like there is really no way to get the "haze" removed.

Last edited by SBKfan; 03-27-2007 at 07:05 PM.
SBKfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:33 PM   #1442
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
Yea that trim is a big problem, if I hear any good tips I'll let you know.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:06 PM   #1443
Evilsmith

My Ride: 2001 330i, 2012 328i
Send a message via AIM to Evilsmith Send a message via Yahoo to Evilsmith
The window trim is a problem. I have tried a lot of things out there to make it look good, but the end result is that it goes back to the same condition

I have literally looked through all the pages in this forum now trying to figure out the best way to take all the layers of misinformed wax coatings and put a good clean layer of protectant on. I just bougth a poorly maintained black BMW, and need to aggressively attack its shortcommings. It has mild swirls and some nice rock dings that need touched up (I am going to try your techniques on I believe page 3). I have about 8 bookmarks of different techniques that have been suggested, but the all seem to venture in a slightly different direction than I am looking for. I want to strip it of everything, Wash, clay?, wash, and put a good seal on it. I need to do this by hand for now, because its either buy a buffer or buy the detailing products. I am looking at your paint prep kit #3, and wash kit #7. Would this combination be an optimal combination? Also, could you please briefly rattle off the steps again? I keep getting lost in wash,clay,wash,this,that,seal,wax,glaze,wax......im getting dizzy already.
Evilsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:15 PM   #1444
the skillmaster

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
Some people think it's unnecessary to wash the car again after the clay bar but which ever way you chose the polishing will get all the old wax off.
the skillmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 11:18 AM   #1445
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Evilsmith - thanks for contacting us, we can definitely help you. I can understand the abundance of information on this thread can be a little dizzying. I think a more consolidated version of a lot of that information can be found on our Detailing Guide. That page will really help you understand the different steps and give you a step by step detailing guide for each step using a buffer or by hand.

If your want to touch up work I'd suggest doing that first and give it ample time to cure before sealing it. Here is the correct order of operations wash, dry, clay bar, cutting polish (medium cutting), finishing polish (light cutting), glaze, sealant, wax. The kit you selected is exactly what I would recommend for the first parts of a full detail. With the kit you selected above you don't have to re-wash the vehicle.

Again I highly recommend reading our Detailing How To section for a more detailed explanation of each step. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 03-31-2007, 12:44 PM   #1446
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
After I apply the wax I need to take it off with a towel. Is a microfiber all-purpose towel (which is what I've been using) good enough, or will it create tiny scratches in the clear coat?
dreamdrivedrift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 12:53 PM   #1447
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Nevermind, looked on your website

Thanks though, the website is very informative!
dreamdrivedrift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 01:36 PM   #1448
Greg@DetailedImage.com

No problem, let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 03-31-2007, 01:49 PM   #1449
Evilsmith

My Ride: 2001 330i, 2012 328i
Send a message via AIM to Evilsmith Send a message via Yahoo to Evilsmith
Thank you very much. That was exactly what I was looking for. Based on the vast amount of knowledge you have provided on your products and techniques, you have definately sealed my business. Theres nothing better than knowing that the company you buy from is not only educated on their product, but stands by it enough to use it themselves. Thanks again and I look forward to doing business with you in the future.

Proper product education is worth more than a bargain buy anyday
Evilsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 01:57 PM   #1450
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilsmith View Post
Thank you very much. That was exactly what I was looking for. Based on the vast amount of knowledge you have provided on your products and techniques, you have definately sealed my business. Theres nothing better than knowing that the company you buy from is not only educated on their product, but stands by it enough to use it themselves. Thanks again and I look forward to doing business with you in the future.

Proper product education is worth more than a bargain buy anyday
Thanks for the support it's greatly appreciated. Detailing is a huge part of our lives and we are always using new products, trying new techniques and overall just trying raise the level of what high quality detailing stands for. We are here to support our customers before, during and after any sale or potential sale. We will not just sell you a product and turn our backs. We're trying to build relationships with our clients and provide the information you need to complete your detail work. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you with your detail. Thanks again for purchasing from Detailed Image.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 04-08-2007, 05:09 PM   #1451
vision_promo

My Ride: M3
What would be the best product I would need in order to make my silver sedan the shinest??
Old 04-08-2007, 07:48 PM   #1452
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Oh man thats a tough question. Silver can be difficult but with the right prep work you can really get some great results. If you wanted the very best I'd outline a 10 step process that may take a full day. To help me develop a package that meets your needs I'd like to ask you some questions.

About how much time you'd be willing to commit to a detail. We generally recommend doing a full detail 1 - 2 times a year, and then a maintenance routine. Do you have a buffer? If yes which one and with what pads? If no would you be interested in learning more about the Porter Cable 7424? Whats the make, model, year and basic condition of the vehicle (swirls, oxidized, etc.)?

Sorry for so many questions but I prefer to tailor the package to your specific needs. Once I get some information back from you I'll give you a more detailed recommendation. Thanks for posting and I look forward to developing a detailing package/routine for you.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 04-09-2007, 12:07 AM   #1453
hamann99
X-Hamann99

My Ride: 323i->350Z->87 325is
Send a message via AIM to hamann99
do you ever use a rotary?

Any fool can drive in a straight line
hamann99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:19 AM   #1454
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Yes rotary buffers can be very effective polishing tools when they are used by a skilled operator. Unfortunately the risks of using a rotary are significantly greater than orbital buffers. They can easily burn the paint and the surrounding trim. It takes much longer to master a rotary buffer but they can be great for polishing. I typically recommend orbital buffers like the Porter Cable 7424 because it is also a great polishing tool with very minimal risks. Let me know if you have any specific questions about rotary buffers or buffers in general.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 04-11-2007, 06:07 AM   #1455
CortinaD

My Ride: lots
hi guys

I cant seem to see it anywhere so I will ask. Is it possible (and probably more to the point worth while) to add a coat of p21s carnuba over the top of zaino z5?

thanks in advance
CortinaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:40 AM   #1456
Greg@DetailedImage.com

From what I've read this product is labeled as a polish but really is more like a glaze with a sealant in it. It appears that the Z5 is designed to fill in imperfections and protect the paint. I know some people like to top it off with a pure sealant for longer lasting protection and others go right to a carnauba wax for more depth to the shine. Therefore yes you can put the P21S Carnauba Wax right on top of the Z5. It may be a matter of opinion whether it looks significantly better. I generally like topping off a sealant with a carnauba wax to add more depth and gloss.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 04-26-2007, 03:57 PM   #1457
Duaine

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325iT Sport
Hints on the (simulated?) wood trim for e46

My 2003 325 has the dark wood trim. It seems a bit faded and has a number of superficial scratches. Any hints on restoring lustre and getting out scratches?

Duaine
Duaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 04:25 PM   #1458
Jarick

My Ride: '02 330xi
Hi Greg,

I'm planning my first detail. I should have access to a buffer (no word on what kind yet), and I've got lots of microfiber towels and some of the basics (good wash, clay bar, detail spray, carnuba wax, etc). Have some surface swirls, a couple nasty areas the dealer screwed up with a pen, just the usual.

I'm kind of hurting for cash, and I was thinking of getting the following from DI:

Poorboy's SSR 2.5
Poorboy's SSR 1
Klasse All-In-One
Buffer pads (if my buddy doesn't have them)

Would this be a good "starter" set for detailing? I can't really afford the FMJ at the moment, but would that work well over the Klasse down the road?

Also, I've got the same trim issues, actually I have a gouge in one of them. I was thinking of drop filling with polyurethane, letting it sit for a few days, then light wetsand over that area, SSR 2.5, and SSR 1. Would that be a decent plan to get them looking good again?

If you've got any other ideas, that would be great!
Old 04-26-2007, 04:30 PM   #1459
Greg@DetailedImage.com

For coated wood you can use a very light polish with light pressure to help buff them out. You can try some very light polishes like the P21S Paintwork Cleanser or Klasse AIO. If you want something more aggressive try the SSR 1 or the Menzerna Final Polish II. Before doing it on a large area please make sure you have tested this procedure in a non-visible are to make sure you're getting the desired results. Make sure the area is well lit so you can make sure you're happy. You can protect those surfaces with a sealant like the Klasse AIO, Poorboy's World PwS, EX-P, EX, Menzerna Full Molecular Jacket, etc.

Please make sure the wood is coated and you should see some great results. This process will remove most of the very light scratches and improve the optical clarity of the coating, thus making the wood appear more bright and clear. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 04-26-2007, 08:35 PM   #1460
Hoyshel

My Ride: 330ci
cleaning suede

Hi greg,

I have a truck with leather seats and either alcantara or suede down the middle of the seat cushion and backrest. What would you suggest cleaning and/or conditioning this with? It's a 2005 dodge Ram 3500 Lariat. Maybe you would know better as to whether it's alcantara or suede.

Last edited by Hoyshel; 04-26-2007 at 08:48 PM.
Hoyshel is offline   Reply With Quote