E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 37 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:34 PM   #1461
Duaine

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325iT Sport
Greg,
Thanks. How do I figure out what the stuff that looks like coated wood is actually made of? Did BMW use different materials in different years and models? Also, the products you directed me to all seem to be for paint. Do they work on coated wood as well?

Duaine
Duaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:38 PM   #1462
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
sorry accidental double post
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:38 PM   #1463
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Hi Greg,

I'm planning my first detail. I should have access to a buffer (no word on what kind yet), and I've got lots of microfiber towels and some of the basics (good wash, clay bar, detail spray, carnuba wax, etc). Have some surface swirls, a couple nasty areas the dealer screwed up with a pen, just the usual.

I'm kind of hurting for cash, and I was thinking of getting the following from DI:

Poorboy's SSR 2.5
Poorboy's SSR 1
Klasse All-In-One
Buffer pads (if my buddy doesn't have them)

Would this be a good "starter" set for detailing? I can't really afford the FMJ at the moment, but would that work well over the Klasse down the road?

Also, I've got the same trim issues, actually I have a gouge in one of them. I was thinking of drop filling with polyurethane, letting it sit for a few days, then light wetsand over that area, SSR 2.5, and SSR 1. Would that be a decent plan to get them looking good again?

If you've got any other ideas, that would be great!
Jarick,

I think you'll be very pleased with the SSR 2.5 and SSR 1 combo for reducing the swirls and brightening the clear coat. The Klasse AIO is great and will certainly help increase the shine and protect the paint for months to come. The Poorboy's World Polish w/Sealant is the same kind of product as the AIO and is a slightly better value. Both products will help chemically clean the surface and seal it. If you want a little longer lasting protection you may want to try the Poorboy's World EX-P. This is a pure sealant that will protect the paint and enhance the shine. This should be a great starter kit that produces a nice deep shine.

As for the Vinyl I think that the SSRs could help smooth it out a little more if needed. You may get some of the product in the grooves of the vinyl but it should come out with a good washing and some brushing. I wouldn't leave the product on the trim too long, especially in direct sun. Make sure the polish doesn't stain the trim before proceeding too far as well. I would spot treat a small area first just to make sure I'm getting the desired results. Let us know how you make out with vinyl trim, I think other members might like that info if it goes well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyshel View Post
Hi greg,

I have a truck with leather seats and either alcantara or suede down the middle of the seat cushion and backrest. What would you suggest cleaning and/or conditioning this with? It's a 2005 dodge Ram 3500 Lariat. Maybe you would know better as to whether it's alcantara or suede.
Alcantara is basically ultra suede and it should be cared for regularly if possible to keep it looking new. The first thing we do is brush the fabric with a clean soft nylon brush going the same direction as the nap. This helps brush out dust, contaminates, etc and show where stains and pilling is. If there is any pilling of the material you can carefully remove them with a single sided razor blade. If there are stains or build ups you want to remove you can lightly spray a fabric cleaning solution on the area. We typically use the 303 Cleaner and Spot Remover or the 303 Fabric Cleaner diluted to 8:1 or more. I lightly spray the affected area and gently brush the surface. Make sure the surface is in a well vented area that can help the material dry. You do not want the surface to remain wet for extended periods of time. I don't know of anything that you can do to condition alcantara.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 04-27-2007, 04:49 PM   #1464
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duaine View Post
Greg,
Thanks. How do I figure out what the stuff that looks like coated wood is actually made of? Did BMW use different materials in different years and models? Also, the products you directed me to all seem to be for paint. Do they work on coated wood as well?

Duaine
Almost all of the BMWs I've been in have coated wood as do most mfgs. If it has a plastic like feel that is reflective thats a sign that it's coated. Exposed wood would have a different texture to it that is noticeable. You can contact your local BMW sales rep or dealership to confirm this information. You are right the wood is being treated with products that are more typically used on a vehicle's clear coat. The same concept applies to both surfaces: you have a coating that is supposed to be primarily clear and scratch free and they have to be buffed smooth again. By removing the imperfections the surface will be more smooth and allow light to pass through for greater optical clarity. These products are only intended for use on coated wood and clear coats. As always please check to make sure you're getting the desired results before doing a large section.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 04-29-2007, 08:15 AM   #1465
Arronax

My Ride: '04 Alpine M3
I'm noticing that a full detail (clay, buffer cut/polish/wax) looks to be an indoor job. Is there danger to trying to detail outside? I understand that you should be out of direct sunlight.

I'm thinking about purchasing the 200g clay, PC 74xx, the Poorboys combo and the P21s wax.

Thanks for the help!
Arronax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:59 AM   #1466
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Great question! Doing a detail indoors and outdoors does present slightly different challenges. As you stated, you never want to be in direct sun. Bright sun will warm up the clear coat and can prevent the products from working optimally. So just make sure you're not going to be exposed to bright sun for any length period of time.

The major concerns are rain or high winds. Whether you're indoors or outdoors there is always dust and contaminates in the air that can and will settle on the surface while your detailing. Assuming there is very light to no surface contamination on the vehicle you should be fine. However if lots of dust is landing on your vehicle you may want to wipe it down with a water less wash product like the Poorboy's World Spray and Wipe and a clean microfiber towel. This is a nice precautionary step that helps make sure there is little to no surface contamination left on the clear coat.

I can't think of any other major problems with doing it outside. I know a lot of high quality mobile detailers work outside so it's something we've learned to work around with a water less wash and weather forecasting. Let me know if you have any other questions about detailing outdoors.

Thank you for considering Detailed Image as your supplier of detailing products. We always welcome the opportunity to work with members of e46. It looks like you have a good list of detailing products already outlined. If I can help you select products or better understand any part of the detailing process please let me know.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 04-29-2007, 08:18 PM   #1467
Arronax

Thanks for the help with that. There's definitely a pollen problem where I wash/wax my car, so I usually wait for cloudy days for the direct sunlight + higher humidity (hopefully less pollen) protection.

I was reading about your suggestions for Glaze and Sealant. When is this necessary (or is it)? Will claying affect either, requiring you to reapply?
Old 04-30-2007, 11:10 AM   #1468
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arronax View Post
Thanks for the help with that. There's definitely a pollen problem where I wash/wax my car, so I usually wait for cloudy days for the direct sunlight + higher humidity (hopefully less pollen) protection.

I was reading about your suggestions for Glaze and Sealant. When is this necessary (or is it)? Will claying affect either, requiring you to reapply?
Sounds like a good idea for your upcoming detail.

I'm not sure I fully understood the question but I'll do my best to answer. A glaze is not really that essential to a detail but it does help add to the overall appearance. It helps add more gloss and hides imperfections. This step is not a must but helps the overall shine for sure.

The sealant step I consider to be probably the most essential step in the process after washing and drying. The sealant adds a lot of shine but most importantly leaves long lasting protection. The sealant will also help lock in the glaze so they work great together.

The correct order for a detail is wash/dry - clay bar - polish - glaze - sealant - wax. Therefore if you use the clay bar it would be done before the glaze and sealant. As for future details the clay bar will remove some of the protective coating. Therefore if you clay bar the vehicle again after applying the glaze and sealant you would most likely want to reapply them or at least the sealant. For more information on the detailing process please read our Detailing Guide. This link outlines the whole process and gives you instructions if desired.

Please let me know if I answered your question and if not where I can clarify things. Thanks for posting and I hope that information helped.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 05-01-2007, 07:09 AM   #1469
Arronax

You answered it! Thanks.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:53 PM   #1470
Jarick

My Ride: '02 330xi
Thanks Greg, order placed! Hopefully it gets here by Friday...

If all goes well, I'll be ordering wheel and interior stuff later this month.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:40 PM   #1471
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Thanks for the support you'll get the products on Friday! Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck with the detail!

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 05-01-2007, 03:26 PM   #1472
rgarza

My Ride: Clio RS / BMW 325i
Send a message via MSN to rgarza
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregs View Post
Jarick,

Alcantara is basically ultra suede and it should be cared for regularly if possible to keep it looking new. The first thing we do is brush the fabric with a clean soft nylon brush going the same direction as the nap. This helps brush out dust, contaminates, etc and show where stains and pilling is. If there is any pilling of the material you can carefully remove them with a single sided razor blade. If there are stains or build ups you want to remove you can lightly spray a fabric cleaning solution on the area. We typically use the 303 Cleaner and Spot Remover or the 303 Fabric Cleaner diluted to 8:1 or more. I lightly spray the affected area and gently brush the surface. Make sure the surface is in a well vented area that can help the material dry. You do not want the surface to remain wet for extended periods of time. I don't know of anything that you can do to condition alcantara.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Hello, this is my fist post, here i put the official document from the Alcantara creators, i hope this help to all interested.

Regards....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf manutenzione_inglese.pdf (418.5 KB, 119 views)
rgarza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:33 PM   #1473
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarza View Post
Hello, this is my fist post, here i put the official document from the Alcantara creators, i hope this help to all interested.

Regards....
Great find, I think there was some good info in there for those with alcantara. Thanks for posting.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 05-02-2007, 05:42 PM   #1474
rgarza

My Ride: Clio RS / BMW 325i
Send a message via MSN to rgarza
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
White cars are definately a little bit harder to get the paint to pop but still achievable. Pending on what the paint needed in its prepwork stages:

Wash / Dry --> Clay (optional) --> Polish

Pending on if you had bad swirls and the condition of the paint I would suggest a different product if it were in good condition vs needed some restoration. Bad condition I'd suggest a light abrasive polish such as Poorboy's SSR 2 or SSR 1. In good condition I'd suggest a chemical polish such as Klasse All-In-One.

--> Glaze

After the polishing step, a finishing glaze would be a big step to use to really enhance the gloss and appearance of a cars paint. My favorite glaze would be Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze and for $12.99 its worth every penny!

--> Sealant

You obviously want to give your paint some underlying protection so the next step would be to choose the right sealant for you. 3 of my favorites (in order) are Menzerna FMJ, Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze, and Poorboy's EX Sealant. The sealant will give you 4-6+ months of underlying protection for your paint.

--> Carnauba Topper

Layering a top coat of carnauba will really make the paint scream and give it that super wet look many people try to achieve. My favorite one is P21s Concours Carnauba Wax, very easy to work with and it last a long time!

George
Hello George, i just purchased a BMW 325i apline white, are still valid your recomendations?, just to be sure, because I will to purchase this products, and the recomendations is from 2005 (Maybe new and best products are arrived from this date).

Regards.....
rgarza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:40 PM   #1475
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Thanks for contacting us about your detailing package. I would say the previous recommendations are still valid for the most part.

Make sure you have good washing and drying tools, this is where most of the swirls are added. Our Wash Kit # 7 is a great start for this process. If you need further recommendations please let me know.

Clay bar helps remove surface contamination and really gets the detail started right. I really like the Clear Kote Clay Bar kit or the Clay Magic Fine Grade.

Polishing - The SSRs work great by hand and very well with the PC 7424. If you're doing the polishing by hand this is the way to go for sure. If you're using the PC 7424 I might give a slight edge to the Menzerna Intensive Polish and Final Polish II. Same basic idea of a medium cutting polish followed by a light cutting polish. Both combinations will reduce swirls, oxidation, surface imperfections and help smooth out the clear coat.

After that my first choice would be Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze (FTG) to fill in imperfections and increase gloss. Then the Menzerna Full Molecular Jacket (FMJ) will seal in the glaze, protect the paint and increase the shine. The last step is P21S Carnauba Wax for that extra deep shine.

These are some of the premier products in detailing and have been around for a while for good reason. There are certainly other combinations that work well but these are some of my favorites on Alpine White. Please let me know if you have any questions about these products or any part of the detailing process.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 05-04-2007, 12:11 PM   #1476
///McKinzie

My Ride: 1999 BMW Z3 2.3
Gregs,
Now that summer is here its detailing time for me! However, i'm a poor college kid. So, what products would you recommend for me to use? I would like something that is long lasting while looking great. I have a hard time noticing imperfections even under flourescent due to the color of my car. And even after I wax and detail my car, I personally cannot tell a big difference in the "glossyness" or anything of my car, mainly again because of the paint. I would like to polish, glaze, wax, and seal my car. Also I have chrome rims that attract a LOT of brake dust. Is there a wheel sealant that would be suitable for chrome? I have tried Wheel Wax and it was a pain. Thank you!

1999 BMW Z3
w/ BMW M3 Chrome 17" Wheels
Currently has 306,000 miles

Detailed Image Auto Detailing Supplies
Maintained by Detailed Image
///McKinzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 12:32 PM   #1477
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Good to hear from you again ///McKinzie. I think I can help you find a package that will help improve the shine, protect the paint while being a great value. Since you think there is light swirls lets try the Menzerna Final Polish II. This will help remove some light swirls, oxidation, etc. Next we'll apply the Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze to help fill in any remaining micro-imperfections. This glaze fills in imperfections and adds dramatic gloss to paint. Seal in this glaze with the Poorboy's World EX-P. This is a pure sealant designed to enhance the shine and protect the paint for months to come. For the perfect finishing touch add a coat of the Poorboy's World Natty's Blue Paste Wax. This wax gives you that deep and rich look that really turns heads. I think this would be a great kit that works well by hand or with a buffer and is relatively affordable.

As for your wheels I would try the Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant. I like the Wheel Wax but I feel this has slightly better durability. It smells great too!!!

This is a sample package of some of my favorite products for the categories you requested. This should produce some outstanding shine and protection. I can adjust my recommendation if needed so let me know what you think. Thanks for posting and I look forward to getting you some great products!!!

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 05-05-2007, 04:32 PM   #1478
SDIREP

My Ride: is played
I have a quick question, I recently Went back to chrome from having black window trim. I still have a little bit if black paint on the chrome trim, would using acetone on the trim remove just the paint or will it harm the chromes finish too?
Old 05-05-2007, 05:12 PM   #1479
Greg@DetailedImage.com

I have to admit I don't have enough experience with this process to give you expert advice. I honestly don't know what the exact effect will be so I'm not sure I can give you quality insight on what to do.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 05-06-2007, 08:54 PM   #1480
m002

My Ride: Mmmmm
Hello
I just finished detailing with my rotory buffer and I tok my car out to the sun and founbd hologram on my bumper. I usually use a white pad and mild polisher to get it off. But this time it didn't work. Can you give me another advice how to get it off? Thanks